Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 312589 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2485 on: April 21, 2018, 05:15:37 PM »
Aweome thanks!  I'll check them all out.  Floor is my favorite singer of the three, but Tarja is pretty amazing in her own way.  :tup

If you haven't seen them already, look up Floor's live performances of Ghost Love Score (there are several on Youtube). They are spine-chilling, especially towards the end.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2486 on: April 21, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
Aweome thanks!  I'll check them all out.  Floor is my favorite singer of the three, but Tarja is pretty amazing in her own way.  :tup

If you haven't seen them already, look up Floor's live performances of Ghost Love Score (there are several on Youtube). They are spine-chilling, especially towards the end.

I'm so glad I got to witness that live. I had a great view. Right behind the soundman, dead center, venue didn't bother selling the two rows in front of me so no tall people. It was the best ever.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2487 on: April 21, 2018, 10:30:00 PM »

I just saw her do it at the Portland Oregon Show almost two weeks ago. She was amazing and they closed with Ghost Love Score..  I also seen both of the Vehicle of Spirit dvd's and she does it especially well on the Tampere show.. 😎🎵
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2488 on: June 05, 2018, 03:04:17 PM »
I just realized since I haven't been paying too much attention to the tour since it came to my area, that they have since added two songs to the setlist, Amaranth and Deep Silent Complete!  WTF I so would have loooovvveed to see Deep Silent Complete.  What an awesome addition to an already awesome set and Amaranth is cool because that was from the one album that wasn't represented on the set.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2489 on: June 11, 2018, 06:24:17 AM »
The Ex-Nightwish singer Tour should maybe be a ting?  :lol

Tarja Turonen - Live @ Sweden Rock festival Norje Sweden
THE DARK ELEMENT The Ghost and the Reaper, Sweden Rock Festival 2018

Anyway, nice too hear The Dark Element songs in a live setting. I still that album alot.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2490 on: June 11, 2018, 07:59:56 AM »
The Ex-Nightwish singer Tour should maybe be a ting?  :lol

Tarja Turonen - Live @ Sweden Rock festival Norje Sweden
THE DARK ELEMENT The Ghost and the Reaper, Sweden Rock Festival 2018

Anyway, nice too hear The Dark Element songs in a live setting. I still that album alot.

I was wondering if any video would surface from their show.  I wish there was more, they sound good and I still really like the album.  Actually would make for a good tour putting those two together.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2491 on: June 11, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
Yeah The Dark Element is a great album, I like it better than the last Nightwish, and it craps all over the last Tarja heavy album.
Live drummer looks like Baard Kolstad from Stratovarius.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2492 on: June 11, 2018, 05:21:57 PM »
Yeah The Dark Element is a great album, I like it better than the last Nightwish, and it craps all over the last Tarja heavy album.
Live drummer looks like Baard Kolstad from Stratovarius.

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2493 on: June 11, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
Oops I meant from Borknagar and of course many other bands.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2494 on: June 14, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
Just saw they have a show in Ziggodome here in November. Really curious how well that concert will be attended, because it has a max capacity of 17000. Anyways, it is high on my list of concerts to attend because it is awesome that a band in this genre plays in a concert hall that houses a lot of the biggest artists. In other EU countries they have been playing headline shows in front of comparible crowds (and offcourse much larger in Finland), but to have them book such a big venue over here is awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
Just saw they have a show in Ziggodome here in November. Really curious how well that concert will be attended, because it has a max capacity of 17000. Anyways, it is high on my list of concerts to attend because it is awesome that a band in this genre plays in a concert hall that houses a lot of the biggest artists. In other EU countries they have been playing headline shows in front of comparible crowds (and offcourse much larger in Finland), but to have them book such a big venue over here is awesome.

That's right near where I work if I were to go to Amsterdam, going in August, but maybe need to find a way to get sent back in November.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2496 on: July 20, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tuomas-holopainen-has-written-about-80-or-90-percent-of-the-material-for-next-nightwish-album/

The part that interested me most in this article however is:

Holopainen went on to say that NIGHTWISH will professionally film and record one of the shows on the group's current tour in support of its recently released "Decades" compilation for a possible DVD release. He explained: "The majority of these songs that we are doing on this tour are never gonna be played again, I think, so it's a good idea to immortalize them."

:metal :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2497 on: July 20, 2018, 10:25:45 AM »
Sweet!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: July 20, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
I think that's a good idea. Cool beans.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2499 on: August 24, 2018, 07:03:15 AM »

In other news related to NW...

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-singer-and-pagans-mind-guitarist-join-forces-in-northward/

This sounds like it could be awesome.  This guy is an AMAZING guitarist and Floor is obviously an amazing Singer. 
Stepping free from boundaries, NORTHWARD's sound is strong, euphoric and straight in the tradition of SKUNK ANANSIE, FOO FIGHTERS and ALTER BRIDGE but also bands such as DEEP PURPLE and LED ZEPPELIN.

New single out from Northward and I must say I am loving it.  Good hard rock n roll.  Awesome pairing of singer and guitarist.

NORTHWARD - While Love Died (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2500 on: August 24, 2018, 07:09:55 AM »
Honestly, that song didn't do much more me. I'll probably check out some of the other tracks but we'll see.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2501 on: August 24, 2018, 08:01:34 AM »
I like the Northward track.  I'll listen to the album when it comes out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2502 on: August 24, 2018, 08:09:22 AM »
Getting a strong Foo Fighters "Pretender" vibe in that chorus... didn't leave me thinking much of it though. Floor sounds good.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2503 on: August 24, 2018, 08:17:02 AM »
That's a great song, and it's fun to hear her sing on something that isn't symphonic metal for a change.  Can't wait for the album! 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2504 on: August 24, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »
That's a great song, and it's fun to hear her sing on something that isn't symphonic metal for a change.  Can't wait for the album!

Yea, kind of refreshing to hear these two outside of what they are known for.  They both sound great.  The song is simply a fun rocker IMO.  Nothing inventive or progressive or symphonic.  That's fine since that's what they said it would be, including sounding like Foo Figthers, who I've never really got into so I didn't pick up the exact sounding like them, but I can see it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2505 on: August 24, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
Pretty neat to hear Floor sing a different style. It reminds me of another female rock band, can't remember whom though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2506 on: August 24, 2018, 10:07:14 AM »
Pretty neat to hear Floor sing a different style. It reminds me of another female rock band, can't remember whom though.

Honestly, I would think the style of While Love Died had is where Halestorm should be at, at this moment, rather than the first half of their latest album, Vicious, having such juvenile lyrics, imo.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2507 on: August 24, 2018, 10:08:09 AM »

In other news related to NW...

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-singer-and-pagans-mind-guitarist-join-forces-in-northward/

This sounds like it could be awesome.  This guy is an AMAZING guitarist and Floor is obviously an amazing Singer. 
Stepping free from boundaries, NORTHWARD's sound is strong, euphoric and straight in the tradition of SKUNK ANANSIE, FOO FIGHTERS and ALTER BRIDGE but also bands such as DEEP PURPLE and LED ZEPPELIN.

New single out from Northward and I must say I am loving it.  Good hard rock n roll.  Awesome pairing of singer and guitarist.

NORTHWARD - While Love Died (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)

I really like it. Floor is just a fantastic singer. And that guitar player has a nice style. DIg big time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: August 24, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
Might be an ignorant question but where's the rest of the band?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2509 on: August 24, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
Might be an ignorant question but where's the rest of the band?

I don't think it's ignorant.  They don't show them in the video, but from the old link I had initially shared back when this was announced, the recording band is:

Alongside Jansen and Lofstad, Morty Black (TNT) handled bass duties, while drums were recorded by Django Nilsen and Stian Kristoffersen (PAGAN'S MIND). You will also hear a guest appearance by Floor's sister Irene Jansen, singing a duet on the song "Drifting Islands". And finally, Ronny Tegner from PAGAN'S MIND played the piano on one song.

So it seems it's pretty much Pagan's Mind with Floor on vocals.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2510 on: August 24, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
Awesome. :2metal:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2511 on: August 24, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
Good stuff.  I haven't really heard much in the straight-ahead hard rock category that has interested me in a long while.  Floor sounds great on this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2512 on: August 24, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
Really dug it. Love those two people. Will definitely get this when it comes out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2513 on: August 24, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
That sounds great indeed! Looking forward to the album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2514 on: August 30, 2018, 07:06:16 AM »
Sorry for the very specific question, but I want to kill two birds with a stone.

On one hand, I'm a big fan (and with my favorite bands, I'd consider myself an extremist in this sense  :lol ) of surprises at shows, so I don't want at all to know the setlist for the current tour.

On the other hand, since I know they're playing rare material, I want to more or less figure out which albums I should go back more.

I know it's annoying but my question is: is the Decades compilation ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decades_(Nightwish_album) ) the template for the setlist or not? I mean, the compilation spans two discs and obviously they can't play ALL those songs, but are the songs that made the setlist all on the compilation, or they're playing stuff that is not present there? I'm asking especially for early stuff like Oceanborn and the debut, I haven't heard them in forever.

Thanks for the vague replies  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2515 on: August 30, 2018, 07:10:14 AM »
Hmm....I don't want to give the set away. So I won't answer your question. When is your show? I'd rather you be surprised and enjoy the show. Then you'll see if the decades disc is the template.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2516 on: August 30, 2018, 07:36:32 AM »
It's one of the very last ones, 4th December in Milan.

I agree that I don't want to know the set, I was just looking for vague hints such as "mh, forget the last part of the second disc and listen to Oceanborn and Century Child in full, just to be prepared", stuff like that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2517 on: August 30, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »
the compilation is a good idea of the setlist

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2518 on: August 30, 2018, 07:41:03 AM »
the compilation is a good idea of the setlist

Ok, thanks!  :tup

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2519 on: October 20, 2018, 10:44:24 PM »
The Northward album dropped this week and it is awesome. I love hearing Floor singing in this style. She sounds like she is having fun and it comes through. Listened to the whole thing twice today and I already want to listen again. Highly recommended.

Of course, I would pay to hear Floor sing the phone book. Regardless, pick this thing up.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history