Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317229 times)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2380 on: November 25, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
Recommend me a good place to start with Nightwish. I'm looking for more symphonic/power metal things. Which album has most of this? Thanks!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2381 on: November 25, 2017, 10:31:15 PM »
Oceanborn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: November 26, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »
The older material for more power metal and newer for the more symphonic. Maybe start at Century Child and if you want more power go older from their and more symphonic then go newer.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2383 on: November 26, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
Recommend me a good place to start with Nightwish. I'm looking for more symphonic/power metal things. Which album has most of this? Thanks!
I highly recommend Vehicle of Spirit, it's a two concert DVD/blu-ray release of their 2015 tour. Both shows are fantastic and got me hooked on Nightwish. The Wembley concert also comes with a two disc audio cd, it's a great package deal that may seem a bit pricey but totally worth it!  Also, what is cool is both of the concerts have different setlists that are equally as good..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2384 on: November 26, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
The older material for more power metal and newer for the more symphonic. Maybe start at Century Child and if you want more power go older from their and more symphonic then go newer.
Oceanborn.

Thank you I will check these out this week.

I highly recommend Vehicle of Spirit, it's a two concert DVD/blu-ray release of their 2015 tour. Both shows are fantastic and got me hooked on Nightwish. The Wembley concert also comes with a two disc audio cd, it's a great package deal that may seem a bit pricey but totally worth it!  Also, what is cool is both of the concerts have different setlists that are equally as good..

That's how I got into Amon Amarth, one of their Wacken performances. I'll check  this out too! Thank you

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2385 on: November 26, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
Welks!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2386 on: November 26, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »
I'm really digging Century Child.  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2387 on: November 28, 2017, 04:14:41 AM »
European tour announced for next year!

As in, literally, next year, 12 months from now. Not even Iron Maiden announce shows so early in advance. Ykes!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2388 on: December 05, 2017, 02:34:49 PM »
I just bought the Showtime/ Storytime live blu-ray and their newest studio album EFMB.
First of all, I had to go back in time to see what they were like when they first got Floor as their lead singer, so I wanted to see the Showtime/Storytime DVD after I was blown away by the two Vehicle of Spirit concerts.
The Showtime dvd was pretty much just as awesome! It was cool seeing Jakku on drums, as I was only familiar with Kai. ( As you can tell, I'm working my way backwards through the Nightwish catalog)
I think Kai is an amazing drummer, but so is Jakku. He's got a cool stage presence and has a unique approach to the drums. Floor Jansen nailed the songs and I liked the raw energy of her performance on this concert. She is an incredible gifted singer, one of the best out there imo. I thought she looked a lot cooler without the tats and overdone make-up, which by no means takes away from her talent. I hope she is with Nightwish indefinitely! 
 The Endless Forms Most Beautiful studio album is awesome! I like some of the live versions of those songs even better, especially The Greatest Show on Earth, and Alpenglow.  The title track is one of my favorites, it just puts me in a better mood and that upbeat chorus just kicks your ass, and makes you want to rock!  Then there's a very nice gem on this album that they didn't play live called Edema Ruh. That song has a lot of depth to it musically and I had to listen to it and the title track three times in a row. So glad those two songs are back to back, placed perfectly in the album.
 I forgot to mention the tour documentary from SS was very interesting, especially to see how Floor came into the picture. I wish I was a Nightwish fan at the time, I could have seen her very first show with them in Seattle..  :facepalm:  That would have been so cool to witness..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:39:53 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2389 on: December 05, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »
Glad you enjoyed those. My only problem with Showtime Storytime is I'm not a huge fan of the camera angles used.  It's the Wacken footage you see on the youtube videos Wacken promotes, which is awesome for free on youtube, but for a dedicated concert DVD, I wish I had some more professional shots.  Performance wise, it's great.  It's really incredible that she was able to come in and fill the role so quickly and so well.  The documentary I found to be a bit boring at times and they really didn't go into anything with regards to Annette so it feels like it's missing a big part of the tour.  I understand why they wouldn't put her or anything specific about her in it, but as a viewer, I felt disappointed to not get the full story or even part of the story.  They kind of just avoided the elephant in the room.  Oh well, those are really just small problems with an otherwise awesome release. 

I'd rank the Nightwish DVDs:

Vehicle of Spirit
End of an Era
^ those two are pretty much neck and neck, but you get two concerts in Vehicle of Spirit
From Wishes to Eternity
Showtime Storytime

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2390 on: December 05, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the other two as well. I agree about the camera angles being overdone, but great performance!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: December 05, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »
I wish I liked the End of an Era video more. Something about the editing or cinematography doesn't appeal to me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2392 on: December 06, 2017, 06:17:27 AM »
I seen it on both VOS and SS dvd's, it cracks me up that the guitar player Emppu always has a Carona Beer on top of his guitar cabinet and he often chugs on it during a song when a guitar chord is ringing out. Lol, Jakku has that too.. 🍺

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: December 06, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »
I seen it on both VOS and SS dvd's, it cracks me up that the guitar player Emppu always has a Carona Beer on top of his guitar cabinet and he often chugs on it during a song when a guitar chord is ringing out. Lol, Jakku has that too.. 🍺

Toumas has a wine bottle under his keyboard, a special cup holder made for it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2394 on: December 06, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »
Oh yeah, I remember seeing that part behind the scenes, lol!  They seem like they have a lot of fun. I've drank beer while performing in smaller clubs etc. It does help take the edge off as long as you don't over-do it..
When I'm really nervous, my guitar playing really suffers. I'd rather be a little buzzed and play a bit loose than be nervous and a complete trainwreck!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2395 on: December 06, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
Tarja just released a Christmas single, a cover of Feliz Navidad. It is actually a lovely version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=136&v=Afjgsb_GAxo

Also, there will also be a charity version with Michael Monroe, DORO, Tony Kakko, Elize Ryd, Marko Saaresto, Timo Kotipelto, Simone Johanna Maria Simons, Cristina Scabbia, Joe Lynn Turner, Floor Jansen, Hansi Kürsch and Sharon den Adel. That eh... sounds like massive vocal overkill for an alternate version of this single, but also a very cool charity project. It is like a fullblown Ayreon lineup, haha. https://www.ear-music.net/news/2017/tarja-releases-charity-version-%E2%80%9Cfeliz-navidad%E2%80%9D-help-guest-artists-out-december-8th-2017 It will be annoying because I want almost each of these singers to continue singing but they all likely have one line or something.

The charity is the Carribean islands hit by hurricane Irma btw, I will definitely donate a bit  ;D

Posted it in this thread because it relates to Tarja and Floor (and I couldn't find the Tarja thread).

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2396 on: December 07, 2017, 01:55:18 AM »
Tarja's new album is excellent, although it's mostly Christmas songs, that i generally don't like, she performs them in such a way that I am finding them really enjoyable.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2397 on: December 07, 2017, 01:58:33 AM »
Tarja's new album is excellent, although it's mostly Christmas songs, that i generally don't like, she performs them in such a way that I am finding them really enjoyable.

Indeed, I don't like the entire album as a whole, but some songs are quite good. Super creepy We Three Kings is a Tim Burton-esque gem.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2398 on: December 09, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »
Anyway, better late than ever - I finally got around to watch Vehicle of Spirit, specifically Live at Wembley. And I did it without knowing the tracklist!

You see, I've missed Nightwish three times out of three when they came to Italy for Endless Forms Most Beautiful - every time in a distant town and on a difficult logistical day, and well, I have a simple way to cope with missed shows: just pretend they never happened and not seek information about it  ;D

So I managed to go through all this time never knowing what the show and the setlist was, and I watched the video as a complete surprise. Well, damn what have I missed! Very nice show and songs selections, with some surprises here and there and doing without a handful of classics. Floor was absolutely great, I have to say I don't like how she spends so much time standing still behind the mic stand but she makes up for it with an excellent performances, full of little nuances here and there (too many to remember all those passages where I was like "Hey, listen to what she's doing! awesome!"), and she has an hell of an imposing and magnetic presence.

Also nice to see Troy fully integrated in the band - last tour he was "Uillean pipes guy coming out to play the songs that required him", now he's a multistrumentalist and backing vocalist and definitively an added bonus to the band!

Personally I was never a big fan of 7 Days to the Wolves but for the rest there's not a single song on this that I wouldn't have wanted to see live.  Now I gotta see also the Tampere gig soon!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2399 on: December 09, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
Tampere gig is better. Floor sounds way better and the band just seems to be gelling more.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: December 09, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »
If you still have spoiled yourself, watch the Tampere show for a different set lost and a concert with a totally different feel to it. I personally like Wembley better, but both are good and have their own uniquenesses.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2401 on: December 09, 2017, 04:18:16 PM »
Performances on the Tamlere concert are better, but visually Wembley is more pleasing. The first part of Tampere is during daylight, which detracts a lot from the lightshows and a bit from the overall atmosphere initially. But I still think Tampere is a bit better.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2402 on: December 09, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
I like the Tampere show better. Like Ben Jammin said, the band seems to be tighter and feeling it  . Both shows are great though!
 Tampere has the title track from EFMB which kicks my ass every time when cranked up loud.  :metal
It also has a hauntingly beautiful version of Sleeping sun!
 Greatest Show on Earth is better on Tampere as well.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2403 on: December 24, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »
I like the Tampere show better. Like Ben Jammin said, the band seems to be tighter and feeling it  . Both shows are great though!
 Tampere has the title track from EFMB which kicks my ass every time when cranked up loud.  :metal
It also has a hauntingly beautiful version of Sleeping sun!
 Greatest Show on Earth is better on Tampere as well.

I just wish both sets were on cd. At least the songs not yet released with Floor, its a sin Sleeping Sun wasnt.

What past songs are you guys interested in them doing live this upcoming tour?

I hope to hear:
Gethsemane
End of All Hope
Creek Mary's Blood
Wish I Had an Angel
Dead To The World
Swanheart
The Siren
Cadence of Her Last Breath
Meadows of Heaven

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:55:30 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: December 24, 2017, 10:17:51 AM »
Well, if they even come here this tour, I'd like to hear (in no particular order)

Walking in the Air
Gethsemane
Sleeping Sun
Bare Grace Misery
Forever Yours
Ocean Soul (this one especially)
Beauty of the Beast
The Islander (they didn't play it in my city last time and I love this song)
Meadows of Heaven
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Adami

« Reply #2405 on: December 24, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »
I'll go in chronological order, and I mostly focus on older songs since they are essentially ignored these days.

Angels Fall First (song)
Passion and the Opera
Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean
Dead Boy's Poem
Fantasmic
Slaying the Dreamer
Phantom
Beauty of the Beast

Ugh. I'd get pregnant from that.

Though I honestly just kind of expect the usual songs from the last 3 albums and maybe 1-3 songs from older albums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2406 on: December 24, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »
Angels Fall First
Gethsemane
Crownless
Dead Boy's Poem
Ocean Soul
Beauty Of The Beast
The Poet And The Pendulum (Heard it 3 times already, but it's my fav)
Meadows Of Heaven
Rest Calm

Online Adami

« Reply #2407 on: December 24, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »
I can't be the only one who loves Fantasmic.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: December 24, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
I'll go in chronological order, and I mostly focus on older songs since they are essentially ignored these days.

While true, not sure you are aware that this tour is "Decades" tour and is advertised as focussing on older material and said to rework some songs.  So honestly, I expect some of the older songs you guys are listing.

Personally, I want Beauty of the Beast.  But I am not hopeful on that one. 

Online Adami

« Reply #2409 on: December 24, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »

While true, not sure you are aware that this tour is "Decades" tour and is advertised as focussing on older material and said to rework some songs.  So honestly, I expect some of the older songs you guys are listing.

Oh yes, that's the main reason I bought tickets to the show in LA. I'm just still skeptical. I have a fear they will still focus on new material and if they do older stuff, they'll do them as part of a short acoustic set or something.

I dunno, maybe it's the depression talking. I hope to Cage I'm wrong.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2410 on: December 24, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »

THIS. They absolutely have to bring back this and let us hear Floor singing it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2411 on: December 24, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »
I'd be happy if they played something from EFMB later in the show or as an encore.. The title track would be awesome!  :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #2412 on: December 24, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
I'd be happy if they played something from EFMB later in the show or as an encore.. The title track would be awesome!  :metal

Yea. I'd be cool without a ton from that album, mostly because they just toured on it heavily and released a great DVD of most of it. I'd prefer stuff they really haven't hammered on a lot recently.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2413 on: January 27, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
Tuomas' side project is incoming!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/auri-feat-nightwishs-tuomas-holopainen-troy-donockley-debut-album-due-in-march/

New track, also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxrBv3PDHlg

Sounds more or less in vein with the Scrooge album. Looking very forward to this, it has the potential of being something unique!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2414 on: January 27, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
Jeeze, could that description get any more pompous?

Song isn't bad but it sounds exactly like Nightwish. Kind of had enough of Troy Donockley too. But Johanna Kurkela has my attention - love her voice, although I've only ever heard it on Sonata Arctica's song Deathaura, where she does a lovely job. I'll keep my eye on this.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"