Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313800 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2275 on: September 16, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »
Should get Alex Landenburg. Met him touring with Luca's Rhapsody and he's one of the coolest dudes around and his playing is phenomenal. :)

Why? I mean, unless there's a reason to not use Kai, but I haven't seen one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2276 on: September 16, 2017, 05:19:54 PM »
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Kai is already the perfect replacement, a Finn, superb drummer, brings life to many of the older NW songs and gets on really well with the band.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2277 on: September 16, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
Well, I agree, I've just seen the same thing happen with other bands (great or perfect fit, tours as a guest while they figure out a permanent situation etc.) but they end up picking someone else for the 'permanent' role. Just sayin', Alex has proven a great fill-in drummer for other bands (Timo Tolkki, Stratovarius, Timo's Symfonia, Masterplan, all fellow power metal outfits) whereas Kai's background isn't so Nightwish-oriented.

Of course nothing wrong with Kai either, and it would give him something to do between the generation-long gaps between Wintersun albums, I'm just playing with future possibilities is all  :lol

EDIT: Didn't realize Kai has been playing with Nightwish for three years now. Jesus, time flies. Nevermind :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2278 on: September 18, 2017, 07:22:56 AM »
I think Kai is probably a better drummer overall that Jukka, but Jukka live is just amazing to watch. Tons of energy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: September 18, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »
Kai seems good enough for me so I have no issue if he wanted to continue doing the job.  Wonder how Jukka is feeling though and if he would ever come back.  I'm kind of guessing he won't be.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2280 on: September 20, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »
Fuck yeah. Secured my tickets for Denver. All excited to finally see Nightwish.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2281 on: September 20, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
I'm more a fan of Floor Jansen than I am Nightwish. I saw Floor perform in a tiny club with her last band, Revamp. But, I was hoping to catch Nightwish on this tour, as it has been years now since I have seen her last. Unfortunately, while my "local" gig is on a Friday night, it is also (in traffic) more than three hours away. Sucks.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2282 on: September 20, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
I'm more a fan of Floor Jansen than I am Nightwish. I saw Floor perform in a tiny club with her last band, Revamp. But, I was hoping to catch Nightwish on this tour, as it has been years now since I have seen her last. Unfortunately, while my "local" gig is on a Friday night, it is also (in traffic) more than three hours away. Sucks.

I'll have a nearly 3-year old and an infant at home when Nightwish comes through Chicago.  I won't be catching any shows for a while.  Sucks too, because this is going to be a mostly old-school set, which means that Floor may get to cut loose with some more big opera vocals.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2283 on: September 20, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
For the Toronto gig, they're charging $120 for the top ticket, and I think $70-ish for the cheapest.  Given the venue, the seats for the cheapest are physically too small for me - Massey Hall was built pre 1900, and the seats in the 3rd balcony are literally too small for me to sit with my feet on the floor.  Not sure I really want to shell out $100ish for this show.

I'll see if I can get something cheaper just before the date.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2284 on: September 20, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
Last time I saw Nightwish was in 2012 in St. Louis (seen them there twice - actually it was Sauget, but Sauget is close enough to STL to count). Both in 2009 and 2012 I think tickets were $25. I wonder what they'll cost for the Chicago date next spring, they seem to have really, really blown up in popularity here since then.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2285 on: September 20, 2017, 06:28:51 PM »
That reminded me to check out the ticket situation for this in NYC.  I definitely want to see this tour.  Prices range from $70 general admission to $90 (including fees) seats in the back.  Got myself a seat so I have a guaranteed good view (I know this venue well and had the same seats for Avantasia).  It's definitely on the expensive side, but they sold out the last two shows near NYC last tour so I guess they expect a good turn out.  I'm wondering who is touring with them though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:32:22 PM by cramx3 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2286 on: September 20, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »
Just checked. $55 for GA (eh, maybe I'll bite, that's a bit steep imo for the shows I like to attend), but $195.50 for VIP! Holy schnikes!! $25 got me right up front last time... that's gonna be tough to swallow.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
I'll shit myself if they sellout here.  The last 3 times around Toronto, they've played the Phoenix Concert Hall - 1350 is the fire-regulation capacity (standing only), but it's rarely over 1000 people in there.  Massey Hall is a seated theater of over 2700.  I was stunned when I saw they booked that venue.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #2288 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
Where are you guys looking for tickets? I just checked Ticketmaster for the Anaheim show and all they have left is in the back.....IN APRIL 2018.

How did this happen?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2289 on: September 20, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »
Where are you guys looking for tickets? I just checked Ticketmaster for the Anaheim show and all they have left is in the back.....IN APRIL 2018.

How did this happen?

Check axs.com ticketmaster for the NYC show was all resale.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: September 20, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »
It's a very cheap looking site but for many years I've used Enterthevault.com

Apparently it's run by just one guy because back in 2010 after Kamelot cancelled their tour I got a refund for the tickets and he personally mailed me a signed laminate from the band as a token of appreciation for the business. And when they came back around the tix were $30 cheaper so I've kept using them. I've bought tickets from them many times

Online Adami

« Reply #2291 on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:25 PM »

How did this happen?

Check axs.com ticketmaster for the NYC show was all resale.

Brilliant! Got a much better ticket there. God damn convenience fees though. Jesus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2292 on: September 21, 2017, 01:10:04 AM »
Dang, I just logged on to Ticketmaster to check out prices for the Portland Oregon Show and it said it is allready sold out. The concert isn't til April..  I guess I could try for the Vancouver BC show, but then I would have to get a passport or an enhanced licence. Spokane is a 7 hr drive from where I live.
 Why the heck are they skipping Seattle?? The biggest of the cities and right in the middle of it all..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: September 21, 2017, 08:05:34 AM »
Dang, I just logged on to Ticketmaster to check out prices for the Portland Oregon Show and it said it is allready sold out. The concert isn't til April..  I guess I could try for the Vancouver BC show, but then I would have to get a passport or an enhanced licence. Spokane is a 7 hr drive from where I live.
 Why the heck are they skipping Seattle?? The biggest of the cities and right in the middle of it all..

See above, dont use ticketmaster.

From nightwish on facebook today:

NORTH AMERICANS !!!
Be careful for how much you pay for your NIGHTWISH concert ticket. There are several ticket websites AND secondary ticket sales websites that are just aiming to rip you off big time.
From EnterTheVault you can ALWAYS find your cheapest NIGHTWISH concert tickets.
https://www.enterthevault.com/artist.php?id=43

I've used enterthevault before, and I checked and confirmed it's the same prices as axs.com.  I've used both sites before and both are legit and work fine for buying tickets.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2294 on: September 21, 2017, 09:25:30 AM »
For Toronto, ETV is only selling the VIP upgrade - despite the fact that more than 1/2 the venue is available to purchase directly from the venue's website.  The range is $50-$160 ... before service fees and shit.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2295 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »

See above, dont use ticketmaster.

From nightwish on facebook today:

NORTH AMERICANS !!!
Be careful for how much you pay for your NIGHTWISH concert ticket. There are several ticket websites AND secondary ticket sales websites that are just aiming to rip you off big time.
From EnterTheVault you can ALWAYS find your cheapest NIGHTWISH concert tickets.
https://www.enterthevault.com/artist.php?id=43

I've used enterthevault before, and I checked and confirmed it's the same prices as axs.com.  I've used both sites before and both are legit and work fine for buying tickets.
Cool, thanks for the link!  I've never had a problem with the official Ticketmaster site, Always got tix at face value. Just stay away from the ticket broker (legal scalpers) sites.  Stub-hub come to mind.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2296 on: September 21, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
Well ticket master is a resaler site now as well, and since they arent the official seller of the tickets, that's why you shouldn't shop there, at least not at first until the shows are legit sold out.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2297 on: September 21, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
Well ticket master is a resaler site now as well, and since they arent the official seller of the tickets, that's why you shouldn't shop there, at least not at first until the shows are legit sold out.
Good to know, thank you!  :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2298 on: September 25, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
The Dark Element - "My Sweet Mystery" Feat Anette Olzon

That's a great tune, looking forward to hear the rest.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

« Reply #2299 on: September 25, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »

Not bad!

Anette seems to have gone full sexy mom. I dig it.

Also, someone let that drummer take the dump he so clearly needs to take.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2300 on: September 25, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »

This song was very Nightwish, and although not bad, wasn't quite as good as the title track. Great chorus though. Still better than Sons of Apollo. :biggrin:

EDIT: Here's To You is much better.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:28:12 PM by Zook »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2301 on: September 25, 2017, 06:16:53 PM »
Yea sounds very much like the typical Nightwish formula. I still enjoyed it though and it's nice hearing Anette again.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2302 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:49 AM »

Not bad!

:lol I noticed the drummer with that look as well.  Really digging these songs, definitely sounds like Nightwish and a bit like Amaranthe.  I'll probably be getting this album.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2303 on: September 26, 2017, 03:00:27 AM »

Not bad!

:lol I noticed the drummer with that look as well.  Really digging these songs, definitely sounds like Nightwish and a bit like Amaranthe.  I'll probably be getting this album.
My first thought was actually: that's a determined "don't stare at her ass" face.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2304 on: September 26, 2017, 04:31:51 AM »
Sounds pretty much like Cain's Offering with a female singer, but a touch more melodic, a definite buy for me.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2305 on: September 26, 2017, 06:55:30 AM »
I dig it - love the first song that they released, which was catchier.  I'll defintiely get this record.  I have no problem with them being Nightwish-lite, and it's nice to see Annette still doing something musical. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2306 on: September 26, 2017, 07:13:56 AM »
I dig it - love the first song that they released, which was catchier.  I'll defintiely get this record.  I have no problem with them being Nightwish-lite, and it's nice to see Annette still doing something musical.

This. And she looked smokin hot in that video too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2307 on: September 26, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
I listened to My Sweet Mystery again. Better a second time, but damn is it close to ripping off Storytime.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2308 on: September 27, 2017, 05:30:49 AM »
As with many band projects these days Jani and AA were never in a studio together and the video shoot was the first time they met in person.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2309 on: September 27, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »
As with many band projects these days Jani and AA were never in a studio together and the video shoot was the first time they met in person.

Really? That's interesting considering the press release made it sound like they were collaborating from day one.