Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317762 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2170 on: June 09, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
It is a 9 month world tour, sounds like it's just starting in NA

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2171 on: June 09, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »
What in the blue fuck Spokane and not Seattle, where they played on the last 2 US tours, including the first show with Floor. And I am sure it is a good venue (though I won't vouch for anything in Spokane) but is there anything less metal sounding than playing at the Knitting Factory?

Would consider going to PDX if wife approves.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2172 on: June 09, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »
What in the blue fuck Spokane and not Seattle, where they played on the last 2 US tours, including the first show with Floor. And I am sure it is a good venue (though I won't vouch for anything in Spokane) but is there anything less metal sounding than playing at the Knitting Factory?

Would consider going to PDX if wife approves.

Loads of bands play in the Knitting Factory in Spokane.  Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge is from Spokane and it's a great atmosphere, obviously, when Alter Bridge plays in that venue in Spokane.

Now for my question, I don't know much about Nightwish or where to begin listening to them and what era to listen to and is them with Floor, now, good and whatnot.  However, they are playing at The City National Grove of Anaheim and it's a pretty common venue for bands to play in Anaheim and it's about 4 miles away from my house.  The show is in April 2018 which is a long time.  Should I get tickets to this show now or wait a bit?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2173 on: June 09, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »
Now for my question, I don't know much about Nightwish or where to begin listening to them and what era to listen to and is them with Floor, now, good and whatnot. 

For me, the latter years with Tarja fall right in the sweet spot where I LOVE them.  The two definitive albums from that period are Century Child and Once, with the live album End of an Era being outstanding as well.  Their next album (Dark Passion Play) had a different singer, Anette Olzon, and wasn't nearly as good.  The album after that, Imaginaerum, also has Olzon, but is a much stronger album, both in terms of the writing in general and in terms of writing songs that are more suited for her voice.  That brings us up to the present era.

Floor stepped in during the Imaginaerum tour, and she did a fine job.  They a live release called Showtime, Storytime with Floor from the Wacken show.  There are few bands where I would recommend a live release as a starting point, but this might be a good one.  It sounds REALLY good.  And it is a good mix of newer and older material. 

I did not like the next (and, so far, only) studio album with Floor, Endless Forms Most Beautiful.  To me, the writing took a step down.  But the bigger issue is the lyrical content, which is awful.  Floor turns in a decent performance, but more than a few people feel that she didn't sound like she was used to her potential on this album.  I think they either did or are doing a live release from that tour as well, but I don't have it and cannot comment.

However, they are playing at The City National Grove of Anaheim and it's a pretty common venue for bands to play in Anaheim and it's about 4 miles away from my house.  The show is in April 2018 which is a long time.  Should I get tickets to this show now or wait a bit?

Wow, that is a long way off.  I would probably check out an album or two and see what you think.  Hard to argue with going to see a band playing so close to home though. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CB

« Reply #2174 on: June 09, 2017, 05:10:48 PM »
I have to see them with Floor when they come to Europe. I only saw them once, with Anette. I liked her expressive voice but it was foreseeable that she wouldn't stay, she was so different. The only time I've seen Floor "live" was when I almost bumped into her during the intermission of Ayreon's Theater Equation show, I remember I felt like a dwarf.
The NA touring schedule looks demanding but she's such a powerhouse!

Offline Shredzorz

« Reply #2175 on: June 09, 2017, 07:03:02 PM »
Now for my question, I don't know much about Nightwish or where to begin listening to them and what era to listen to and is them with Floor, now, good and whatnot. 

For me, the latter years with Tarja fall right in the sweet spot where I LOVE them.  The two definitive albums from that period are Century Child and Once, with the live album End of an Era being outstanding as well.  Their next album (Dark Passion Play) had a different singer, Anette Olzon, and wasn't nearly as good.  The album after that, Imaginaerum, also has Olzon, but is a much stronger album, both in terms of the writing in general and in terms of writing songs that are more suited for her voice.  That brings us up to the present era.

Floor stepped in during the Imaginaerum tour, and she did a fine job.  They a live release called Showtime, Storytime with Floor from the Wacken show.  There are few bands where I would recommend a live release as a starting point, but this might be a good one.  It sounds REALLY good.  And it is a good mix of newer and older material. 

I did not like the next (and, so far, only) studio album with Floor, Endless Forms Most Beautiful.  To me, the writing took a step down.  But the bigger issue is the lyrical content, which is awful.  Floor turns in a decent performance, but more than a few people feel that she didn't sound like she was used to her potential on this album.  I think they either did or are doing a live release from that tour as well, but I don't have it and cannot comment.

However, they are playing at The City National Grove of Anaheim and it's a pretty common venue for bands to play in Anaheim and it's about 4 miles away from my house.  The show is in April 2018 which is a long time.  Should I get tickets to this show now or wait a bit?

Wow, that is a long way off.  I would probably check out an album or two and see what you think.  Hard to argue with going to see a band playing so close to home though.
What's wrong with the lyrics? I found the celebration of life and nature quite powerful and uplifting. And it's nice to hear Tuomas writing about something other than how much he loves/hates Tarja. Even if he does sometimes come across as a little kid who just discovered evolution, it's still charming.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2176 on: June 09, 2017, 07:53:25 PM »
While I know I should just be grateful they're coming to my town, I'm really bummed at the venue they're at.  Same venue as last tour and it's GA...I hate fucking GA  >:(  Too old for that shite...I'm old, I pee alot and will lose any good spot I get... :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2177 on: June 09, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
Loads of bands play in the Knitting Factory in Spokane. 

Fair enough, but why in the hell play in Spokane in the first place?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2178 on: June 10, 2017, 07:33:40 AM »
Loads of bands play in the Knitting Factory in Spokane. 

I'd guess the venue was booked, but given how far out this is, maybe they just wanted to play a different area.  The last US tour they didn't play NYC, but they played in NJ.  Similar market, but not the same.  This time they are doing NYC and no NJ show.

I think they either did or are doing a live release from that tour as well, but I don't have it and cannot comment.

Vehicle of Spirit is the latest live release and maybe their best in the entire catalogue.   Maybe not as good as End of an Era, but the package comes with two full concerts and Floor is much more in control as she was now very experienced in Nightwish.  Also, Endless Forms Most Beautiful is my favorite album of thiers so the focus on that material also is a reason why it's so good to me.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »

I'd guess the venue was booked, but given how far out this is, maybe they just wanted to play a different area.  The last US tour they didn't play NYC, but they played in NJ.  Similar market, but not the same.  This time they are doing NYC and no NJ show.

Seattle and Spokane aren't remotely similar markets.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2180 on: June 10, 2017, 07:41:18 PM »
I'm wondering if the 2CD compilation album that is being released behind the tour, will have old songs re-recorded with the current line up?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2181 on: June 10, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
I'm wondering if the 2CD compilation album that is being released behind the tour, will have old songs re-recorded with the current line up?

Doubtful, it'll probably just be a compilation. That way no studio fees or anything, just profit.

Honestly, unless it's from Angel's Fall First, I think the albums sound perfect each with their respective line up. It's not like they had an awful singer to replace.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2182 on: June 10, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »
I have some time to think about this, but I am really tempted.  The latest album didn't do much for me, but I think it would be cool to see them live.  From around Grand Rapids Michigan, Kalamazoo isn't a very far drive and the state theater sounds pretty good!  I'm sure I'll cave at some point and get a ticket. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2183 on: June 10, 2017, 11:45:47 PM »
My thinking was along the lines of more political and current line up.
Surely touring behind a 'greatest hits' 2CD set with potentially 3 different vocalists on the compilation might confuse things?
Plus with what went down with Tarja, would they want her to feature on a 'new' album?
How much would the current singer feature, given that she has only sung on 1 studio album?
Finally how much of the back catalogue will be featured?
Do NB now have the rights to all the NW back catalgoue, with the early albums originally issued on a different (Spinefarm) label?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2184 on: June 11, 2017, 12:06:02 AM »
I don't think Nightwish is THAT political. The fans all pretty much know the history and are familiar with Tarja. I doubt there's too many people that have no idea Nightwish existed before Floor or Anette.

It's also not a "new" album. It's a best of essentially. Bands release those all the time. Sure, they may pull an Iced Earth and re-record it, but it would seem pretty silly since no one's complaining about the old recordings (minus Angels). Usually if a band re-records old songs it's due to bad production or a bad singer, not simply a change.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2185 on: June 11, 2017, 03:16:32 AM »
Trust me when I say Nightwish are political when it comes to dealing with anything to do with Tarja.
If you have ever read the NW book you'll know and there was a lot more juicier stuff left out due to the threat of legalities.

BTW what do you hold against AFF?
I think it's a great debut and the start of great things to come.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2186 on: June 11, 2017, 03:35:47 AM »
I don't see your point. Floor has been singing songs from the entire back-catalogue during the last two tours and has been killing it, for the most parts.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2187 on: June 11, 2017, 10:36:50 PM »
Yeah, got that update from Enterthevault this morning.  Sad to see that they aren't stopping by Toronto, but the Niagara Falls show is only 90 minutes from me, and on a Friday night, that would be ok.

Mar. 21 - Toronto, ON - Massey Hall
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2188 on: June 12, 2017, 05:16:43 AM »
Yeah, got that update from Enterthevault this morning.  Sad to see that they aren't stopping by Toronto, but the Niagara Falls show is only 90 minutes from me, and on a Friday night, that would be ok.

Mar. 21 - Toronto, ON - Massey Hall

Thanks for pointing that out.  The Enterthevault email doesn't have that date/venue listed.  I thought it odd there was 3 days between Mtl and Niagara Falls.  This is a big step up for Nightwish.  Typically they play GA venues, and the one in They usually play is about an 800-900 people one.  Massey Hall is 2000+ and seated.

Giggity.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2189 on: June 26, 2017, 03:38:44 AM »
So now we know what Toumas has been doing while Nightwish are taking a break.

A VOICE BEHIND THE MIRROR

Echoes of another world resound from the depths of the legendary rabbit hole. Music diffused with moments of silence and escapist dream sequences, freed from time and earthly presence.

AURI begun its life with three people, united through their shared need to hear a kind of a music which can’t be described by words alone. A magical kind of sound to be heard whilst falling down Alice's rabbit hole.

The first song born of this mindset, 'Aphrodite Rising', appeared in 2011. And slowly the earth has cracked open again and ten more tracks have emerged out of the soil's dust.

Thus the trio was formed. The Finnish singer Johanna Kurkela lent her unique voice, while Troy Donockley and Tuomas Holopainen [both NIGHTWISH] cast their spells with various other instruments. Using selected guest musicians and friends, the album finally takes its ultimate form under the direction of sound engineer Tim Oliver, all within the pastoral splendor of 'Real World' studios in Southern England.

AURI put the 'drink me potion' to its lips, grew to full size, and is now ready to slay the Jabberwocky. Hand in hand with Nuclear Blast, they lead their listeners into the shadows behind the mirror, and in spring 2018 their debut album will evoke ghosts of an ethereal sphere.

AURI consists of:
Johanna Kurkela: Voices & viola
Tuomas Holopainen: Keys & backing voices
Troy Donockley: Acoustic and electric guitars, bouzouki, uilleann pipes, low whistles, aerophone, bodhran, keys, voices

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2190 on: June 26, 2017, 03:46:03 AM »
Kinda cheesy for a press release, but I'm all for this kind of folky weird music!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2191 on: June 26, 2017, 04:09:29 AM »
Aren't all press releases pure fantasy and cheese?

Might be a return to Tuomas original vision of Nightwish, a folk band.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2192 on: June 26, 2017, 04:32:28 AM »
Well, more than cheesy, press releases praise everything like it's the second coming of Christ. The mastermind of this and that conjured up this striking collection of awesome songs blablabla. Here they talk about rabbit holes and potions  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2193 on: June 26, 2017, 10:02:40 AM »
I'm down to take a trip down that rabbit hole.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2194 on: August 29, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
For those of you that miss Annette...

The Dark Element - title track:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHdSv9TmdI

THE DARK ELEMENT, the new musical project featuring former NIGHTWISH vocalist Anette Olzon and Finnish guitarist and songwriter Jani Liimatainen, will release its self-titled debut album on November 10 via Frontiers Music Srl.

Since word of this project got out, fans have been frothing at the mouth with anticipation for its arrival. And no wonder considering the talent involved! Anette is widely known for being the immaculate voice on the hit albums from NIGHTWISH, "Dark Passion Play" and "Imaginareum". Jani has recently been busy in CAIN'S OFFERING alongside STRATOVARIUS singer Timo Kotipelto, but left a deep mark on the minds of all power metal fans thanks to his time in SONATA ARCTICA.

Said Liimatainen: "I have always been a big fan of Anette's voice and when the opportunity to work with her arose, writing and producing an album, it was something I just couldn't say no! It has been a blast working on the songs and I can't wait for everyone to hear the final result. This will be epic! The songs are extremely melodic and to the point. My goal has been to write catchy songs with hooks that will haunt your dreams, and I think it's pretty much 'mission accomplished.' Stay tuned for something special!"

Added Olzon: "I am so looking forward to this album and I believe our collaboration worked like a perfect match and I am really happy that Jani and Frontiers asked me to do this with them!"

"The Dark Element" track listing:

01. The Dark Element
02. My Sweet Mystery
03. Last Good Day
04. Here's To You
05. Someone You Used To Know
06. Dead To Me
07. Halo
08. I Cannot Raise The Dead
09. The Ghost And The Reaper
10. Heaven Of Your Heart
11. Only One Who Knows Me

Musicians:

Anette Olzon - Lead Vocals
Jani Liimatainen - Guitars, Keyboards, Programming
Jonas Kuhlberg - Bass
Jani "Hurtsi" Hurula - Drums

* Piano on "Someone You Used to Know" and "Heaven of Your Heart" by Jarkko Lahti
* Backing vocals by Anette Olzon, Petri Aho, Anssi Stenberg and Jani Liimatainen
* Growls on "Dead To Me" by Niilo Sevänen

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-nightwish-singer-joins-forces-with-ex-sonata-arctica-guitarist-in-the-dark-element.html#xRCgYjBZoptK5sbZ.99

It's nice to see her doing something again, even if it's Nightwish-lite.  It's actually a really catchy song - love the chorus!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2195 on: August 29, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
I kind of dig it, solid song and she sounds good.  Although I like Floor more, I am glad I got the chance to see Nightwish before Anette left. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2196 on: August 29, 2017, 08:41:51 AM »
I unexpectedly didn't mind that. Her voice actually sounds good here, more suited to her style than Nightwish, it's melodic, and it's heavier than I was expecting from a Frontiers project. I dare say I might even be inclined to check out the album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2197 on: August 29, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
I can't say I miss Anette at all.  But the song isn't bad.  Her problem was the same as Charlie's when he was in DT:  She is a good singer with a good voice.  But she has limitations, and Thuomas did not understand those limitations when he wrote most of DPP, and did not write those songs to her strengths.  Imaginaerum was a different story.  That album was much more written to her strengths and much better suited her voice, so she sounds fantastic on it, and barring getting sick, she sounded pretty good on those songs live as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2198 on: August 29, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
I disagree actually, I thought Anette sounded utterly fantastic on Dark Passion Play even if it was their first album with her. That, Imaginaerum, and Oceanborn are the best Nightwish albums imo. Floor fits the band but the one album they've put out with her was disappointing in so many ways and they only ever really took advantage of her voice on two or three songs. I hope the next one steers them back in the right direction (and without 'epic' length songs being half filled with narration!).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2199 on: August 29, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
I really enjoyed that!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: August 29, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
Finally got through the new single. Been excited for this project for a while. Gotta say the single has me not terribly excited but knowing Jani there's gonna be a lot more goodness to listen to...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2201 on: August 29, 2017, 10:29:47 AM »
I've heard very little from Nightwish. I was thinking of buying their latest DVD/blu-ray concert release, instead of buying their album discography. Is it a good show worth buying??
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2202 on: August 29, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »
I am pretty sure that DPP material was written before Olsen joined NW, with most if not all of the songs being demoed with Marco on vocals.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2203 on: August 29, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »
I've heard very little from Nightwish. I was thinking of buying their latest DVD/blu-ray concert release, instead of buying their album discography. Is it a good show worth buying??

It's really, really good. I love it. Good setlists. Probably my favorite pro-shot live Nightwish stuff. I highly suggest at least copping Oceanborn for an idea of their early work, though, it's one of the most seminal operatic power metal albums, highly influential. Thankfully Nightwish is very good live and Floor is basically perfect for doing anything they could want vocally.

If you haven't heard it, go look up the video of Ghost Love Score from 2012 in Buenos Aires. Floor's vocals near the end give me chills every time I hear it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: August 29, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »
Agreed, the latest blu-ray is awesome.  Much better than the Wacken blu-ray plus you get two concerts so that's a little more bang for your buck if you don't have any of the their albums.