Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317690 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2100 on: May 18, 2016, 12:20:59 PM »
Damn, blame Putin  :lol sucks its costing that much for you.  I was only comparing the $.  But like I said, it'll be a good time so hopefully worth it.

That I do. :lol I think it started happening after that dumb Crimea move. But anyway, don't want to go into politics. And yeah, I agree, I'm sure the show will be totally worth it. :tup

Oh, and Brent:

Outside of that perhaps what Floor will be doing during the "year off".............side projects, ReVamp etc...?

This exact question was asked in Russian interview three days ago here, she basically says she hasn't decided yet but she just wants to be home and maybe write some music without any obligations or schedule or something like that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:48:35 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: May 20, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »
Well, it started later than scheduled - we had no chance to do single photos and we took pictures in groups of four people, and my hair is kind of soaked a bit because of the rain, but hey, that's something at least. I'm sure you guys can find me.   :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2102 on: May 20, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »
Im pretty sure you are the girl next to floor  :lol j/k I can figure out who you are by the t-shirt.  That sounds really shitty you didnt get an individual photo and it also stinks that the band isn't even standing!  Is that normal?  From shots I have seen on facebook from other bands that does not seem to be the norm.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: May 20, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »

Oh, and Brent:

Outside of that perhaps what Floor will be doing during the "year off".............side projects, ReVamp etc...?

This exact question was asked in Russian interview three days ago here, she basically says she hasn't decided yet but she just wants to be home and maybe write some music without any obligations or schedule or something like that.

Thanks...........how were the band with you? Sounds like it was a big rush.   Bands charging huge $$ and then brushing people off at meet and greets is a pet peeve of mine.   At least pretend that you want to be there and allocate an appropriate amount of time .  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: May 20, 2016, 09:22:12 AM »
It was really - and I mean really - rushed. We literally walked in, quickly signed our items (I've got Marco signature on my copy of The Theory of Everything! Six singers left :biggrin:), quickly formed up behind the band, the organizers took pictures with our phones (my phone ended up having the most decent camera so I had to share the pics with everyone after :lol),  and then we were out. I haven't even got a chance to ask anything.

I think they either sold too many tickets or started too late. Not sure but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2105 on: May 20, 2016, 09:24:39 AM »
I think that's really poor - but as long as you're not too disappointed , then I will not get pissed off on your behalf  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: May 20, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »

Oh, and Brent:

Thanks...........how were the band with you? Sounds like it was a big rush.   Bands charging huge $$ and then brushing people off at meet and greets is a pet peeve of mine.   At least pretend that you want to be there and allocate an appropriate amount of time .  :-\

The band was super nice, I think it was an organizational problem (like everything in Russia really). All musicians were friendly and nice, and I had a small chat with Marco because he was singing two of my items instead of just one. He seemed surprised that I brought TTOE of all things to sign but he also visibly appreciated it. Or maybe I just want to think he did. :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2107 on: May 20, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
I think that's really poor - but as long as you're not too disappointed , then I will not get pissed off on your behalf  ;D

Well, we don't get any meets and greets usually. It wasn't top expensive, I've got to see and shake hands with the band... it was alright for the first experience.

I don't think I'll go for the second experience though if the opportunity arises. Not in my country at least. The security were total assholes by the way. :lol

Looking forward to the actual show!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2108 on: May 20, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
Setlist

As usual, only the Part 2 and 3 of TGSOE were played live.

Well, the show was really good, but not great. I couldn't make it to the first row because of - hilariously - meet and greet. After M&G you just had to walk out of the building and join the line at the actual hall entrance. :facepalm: So I settled for like third or fourth row or so.

The show started half an hour late, and the actual length was about ~1:40. It's funny, I witnessed Avantasia playing for more than three hours and I was ready to hear more music from them, but Nightwish show was only 1:40 and I didn't want to hear another song actually. I'll be honest, Avantasia show was more to my taste, it was more engaging, more diverse, more everything (and the tickets were cheaper too).

Highlights for me were Ever Dream, Elan (I know, I know, I'm biased and I love this song so much), I Want My Tears Back (they should scratch My Walden out of the setlist) and Last Ride of the Day. And obviously the Floor's high note on Ghost Love Score, she nailed it big time as usual.

And even though I didn't get to the front, I managed to catch this:

:biggrin:

All in all, I'd say this evening was a blast, even with some inconveniences throughout.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2109 on: May 20, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »
It was really - and I mean really - rushed. We literally walked in, quickly signed our items (I've got Marco signature on my copy of The Theory of Everything! Six singers left :biggrin:), quickly formed up behind the band, the organizers took pictures with our phones (my phone ended up having the most decent camera so I had to share the pics with everyone after :lol),  and then we were out. I haven't even got a chance to ask anything.

I think they either sold too many tickets or started too late. Not sure but hey, I'll take what I can get.

I've been to a couple meet and greets for different bands and this is always how I felt leaving...  I don't blame the bands, but it really is a luxury item and you need to have low expectations going in unfortunately.  I would never do it again for DT, it was SOOO expensive, started super late and was rushed like you wouldn't believe.  Transatlantic was relatively well cost, but it was set up confusing, had security issues, and got in too late so was rushed right out.  Ah well, still cool to see your musical idols close up in person.

Like I said, I don't blame the bands, I think they do it with good intentions for the most part, but it often gets managed poorly.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2110 on: May 20, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
I did a meet and greet for Nightwish back in like 2012 or something. It was Floor's 3rd or 4th show with the band since Annette left. I was just standing in the general line and was told for an extra like 50 bucks I could do the meet and greet and go in early, so I said hell yes. The band was...cool. I remember saying thank you to Tuomas in Finnish, thinking I was so clever. Then he answered me in Finnish and I realized I had no idea how to say you're welcome in Finnish, so maybe he was saying "Stop pretending to speak my language you bald bastard." Nice guys. Jukka was a bit sick, so he was quiet, and the most social, by far, was Emppu. The rest of the guys just kind of said hey and signed my stuff and smiled. Emppu was the only one to actually try to start a conversation with me. Floor was also very sweet. However, after the signing we got to go into the show early, before anyone else. Got front row. Awesome show. I think for the Kamelot portion, there's a video of it from the front row and you see me, like an idiot, singing along to March of Mephisto or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: May 21, 2016, 06:10:10 AM »
Evermind, I caught the same pic, good stuff.  Can't believe they didn't just let you guys cut the line though, crazy.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2112 on: June 14, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »
So i've been kind off the radar when it comes to Nightwish, I used to be a big fan and seen them 3 times but the last time I saw them was during The Dark Passion WT back in I think 2007. Been following them on and off but I don't now for some reason I haven't felt compelled to see them live since then. Now from clips i've seen they're probably better live than ever so i'm a bit bummed I missed them on this tour. Not only for Floor but also for Kai, he's a beast and i've never seen him live. Floor is a freaking powerhose, her voice is incredible and I really think they finally found their singer which I think has been established for a while though.
Anette was great on their studio albums but unfortunately her voice didn't really reach the same level live, she simply didn't have enough power. Both Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum are excellent albums if you ask me. Floor however is great both in studio and even better live in a way and she does an epic windmill on stage, that's a big plus.

Will sink myself into their recent release, haven't given it enough spinns.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2113 on: June 14, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
Floor is a freaking powerhose

I'm not sure what that means, but :omg:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2114 on: June 14, 2016, 05:21:53 PM »
Floor is a freaking powerhose

I'm not sure what that means, but :omg:
I'm not sure either, it just felt right to say or i'm confusing it with some other word.  :lol Either way I was refering to her singing with power.....like a hose?!?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2115 on: June 14, 2016, 05:36:19 PM »
It's a Scandinavian word for the pants that Floor wears when singing power metal - powerhose(n)  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2116 on: June 14, 2016, 06:29:07 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2117 on: July 15, 2016, 08:51:51 PM »
Great news that the Australian Synchronised Swimming Team will be performing to 'Last Ride Of The Day' (orchestral version) at the Rio Olympics.
https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/news/details/4381254.70948.nightwish-song-in-olympischen-spielen.html?sc_src=email_778184&sc_llid=25896&sc_lid=18374359&sc_uid=sHF9qzOqqe&sc_eh=ad5c1c75da57ee571

Offline 425

« Reply #2118 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »
I totally missed the announcement of the new live album back in July, and it seems everyone else did, too, since it wasn't posted in this thread!

It looks like we have a new live Blu-Ray/DVD/CD coming out next week called Vehicle of Spirit which documents two shows, from Wembley and Tampere.

Here is the track listing:

Blu-Ray 1/DVD 1 (The Wembley Show):
  • Shudder Before the Beautiful
  • Yours Is an Empty Hope
  • Ever Dream
  • Storytime
  • My Walden
  • While Your Lips Are Still Red
  • Élan
  • Weak Fantasy
  • 7 Days to the Wolves
  • Alpenglow
  • The Poet and the Pendulum
  • Nemo
  • I Want My Tears Back
  • Stargazers
  • Ghost Love Score
  • Last Ride of the Day
  • The Greatest Show On Earth

Blu-Ray 2/DVD 2 (The Tampere Show):
  • Shudder Before the Beautiful
  • Yours Is an Empty Hope
  • Amaranth
  • She Is My Sin
  • Dark Chest of Wonders
  • My Walden
  • The Islander
  • Élan
  • Weak Fantasy
  • Storytime
  • Endless Forms Most Beautiful
  • Alpenglow
  • Stargazers
  • Sleeping Sun
  • Ghost Love Score
  • Last Ride of the Day
  • The Greatest Show On Earth

Blu-Ray 2 Continued/DVD 3 (Extras):
  • Weak Fantasy (Vancouver)
  • Nemo (Buenos Aires)
  • The Poet and the Pendulum (Mexico City)
  • Yours Is an Empty Hope (Joensuu)
  • 7 Days to the Wolves (Espoo, Buenos Aires)
  • Sleeping Sun (Masters of Rock)
  • Sahara (Tampa Bay)
  • Edema Ruh (Acoustic; Nightwish cruise)
  • Last Ride of the Day feat. Tony Kakko (Rock In Rio)
  • Élan (Sydney)
  • Richard Dawkins Interview From Wembley

The two CDs on the limited edition contain the audio of the Wembley show, and I assume the three LPs in the box set do as well.. This release is up for preorder now and appears to available in the many permutations that we typically see for live releases now. The box set with the LP appears to be very limited release, and the Blu-Ray/DVD/CD version seems to be limited as well.

Obviously this seems like a fantastic release. I was very disappointed to have missed this tour so this will be a must-buy for me. Really awesome setlists and a good variety between the two shows and extras. I'm very excited to hear Floor on a lot of these songs, particularly the Dark Passion Play tracks. I do wish that they had a CD release for the Tampere show as well, simply because I like to have both the live video and audio—I suppose I'll probably end up ripping the audio from the DVD and hoping that works out. I'm planning to order myself the Blu-Ray/DVD/CD set this afternoon. I guess the price comes out to about $50, which is more than I would usually pay for a live release, but this is a pretty big value and it's not everyday that one of my favorite bands puts out a live release of this magnitude.

Oh, and here's the promo video for Shudder Before the Beautiful from Wembley.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Adami

« Reply #2119 on: October 26, 2016, 11:03:42 AM »
Yea, the video they released for the show (I think Shudder?) was pretty cool. Seems like the mix will be much better than showtime. So I'm looking forward to it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: October 26, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
Definitely going to purchase this and when I read about it awhile ago (I actually thought I posted it here, but apparantly not) I didn't realize there was a bonus disc.  Which is awesome, but kind of sucks they didn't include the rest of that acoustic set on the cruise, but definitely glad we are getting Edema Ruh from it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2121 on: October 26, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
I'll probably get this though I wasn't blown away by the promo video.

Offline 425

« Reply #2122 on: October 26, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
Yea, the video they released for the show (I think Shudder?) was pretty cool. Seems like the mix will be much better than showtime. So I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, just watched this clip. Definitely liked the mix better than Showtime, Storytime. I think they certainly improved on the one thing I didn't like so well about that one: the backing track of the orchestra parts is definitely more audible than it was before. I wasn't totally blown away by the performance, but I think it was solid. My assessment on the clip, if I were to compare it to the most comparable song from Showtime—Dark Chest of Wonders—is that it's got a somewhat better mix and somewhat weaker performance. But I wouldn't want to judge the performance from that one track, and even if the overall performance isn't as good, I'm still eager to hear songs like Alpenglow, Endless Forms Most Beautiful and The Greatest Show On Earth in a quality live recording, and absolutely dying to hear Floor take on The Poet and the Pendulum (one of my favorite Nightwish songs).

Definitely going to purchase this and when I read about it awhile ago (I actually thought I posted it here, but apparantly not) I didn't realize there was a bonus disc.  Which is awesome, but kind of sucks they didn't include the rest of that acoustic set on the cruise, but definitely glad we are getting Edema Ruh from it.

Do we know what all they did in that acoustic set? I'm excited to hear Edema Ruh in that interpretation because I don't know exactly how that would sound. There's probably no chance they did Lappi, right?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: October 26, 2016, 02:31:26 PM »

Do we know what all they did in that acoustic set? I'm excited to hear Edema Ruh in that interpretation because I don't know exactly how that would sound. There's probably no chance they did Lappi, right?

Someone posted links from youtube of that performance in this thread back then, but here is the setlist (Edema Ruh being the only Nightwish song performed)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/ms-baltic-princess-turku-finland-33c9c42d.html

Offline 425

« Reply #2124 on: October 26, 2016, 02:40:12 PM »
Ah, okay. So that explains why Edema Ruh is the only one included on the Blu-Ray. Though some of those covers would be interesting to see.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2125 on: October 27, 2016, 01:00:34 AM »
I think there's a Deluxe-Deluxe edition of this which contains both bluerays and cd's from both shows, although I'm not sure it has cd's of both concerts.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2126 on: October 27, 2016, 05:21:07 AM »
Definitely buying this so I can look out for myself in the crowd shots at Wembley!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2127 on: November 11, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »
Another promo video for Alpenglow

https://youtu.be/oNC_uZ2GeU4

One of my favorite songs from EFMB, but got to say I wasn't totally impressed with this performance by Floor on this one live.  Still pretty awesome video and can't wait to get it.  Sucks us Americans have to wait a couple weeks longer than our European friends.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like Toumas' tone on the keyboard solo on the Shudder Before the Beautiful video?  I recall not liking it live when I saw them either, it feels obnoxious when the original sound used is awesome.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2128 on: November 12, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »
The Mexico city show whole vid is a big plus!  I really enjoyed that!  If you didn't catch it, it's on the official website.   :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2129 on: November 24, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »
I remember the discussion that the sound of their previous live recording, Showtime Storytime, was bad. Now I read this official fb comment when going trough their fb page:
There was a problem with the sound of Wacken Blu-Ray indeed. The record label had altered the sound for the Showtime Blu-Ray Master, so we feel your pain even more than you guys do. The DVD sound was as it should be but the Blu-Ray...somebody was altering it. We have now underlined ten times that "do not touch the final sound at all" when preparing the Blu-Ray master. Fingers crossed !

Hmmm, how odd. Well, at least they acknowledged that there were sound issues, which means the band pays attention to it. I have the dvd and it sounds fine to me, but not something that I'd describe as good. Kind of wonder how the br sounds then. Must be frustrating to hear back your work and that some unknown person hired by the label altered the sound for the worse.

Anyways, it is fantastic that Floor fronted Nightwish gets so much proshot concerts/footage. They really are proud of their live efforts and they should be  ;D Really looking forward to the new one.

Online Adami

« Reply #2130 on: November 24, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
I haven't checked out the DVD, only the blu-ray.

However, the CD's also sound pretty bad to me. Not like....ungodly awful, but much worse than it should.

However, the two videos released thus far for the new one sound great, so I'm not concerned.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2131 on: November 24, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »
I've nearly always found that audio CD's that come with live DVD/BR seem to be absolute shit sounding.
No excuse for Nightwish to put out anything less than stella sounding, they've been working with the best in the business for many years now.
https://www.mikajussila.fi/en

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: November 24, 2016, 04:05:38 PM »
I've nearly always found that audio CD's that come with live DVD/BR seem to be absolute shit sounding.
No excuse for Nightwish to put out anything less than stella sounding, they've been working with the best in the business for many years now.
https://www.mikajussila.fi/en

I always wondered if it was "all in my head" - the footage somehow makes the shit sound (as heard on the CD) magically better in my mind , but take away the vision and all is revealed :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: November 25, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »
I have the Showtime, Storytime blu-ray and I always thought the sound wasn't the greatest or even the video overall.  I really enjoyed it overall for what it was, but thought the production on the whole concert was not the best.  I pre-ordered the new blu-ray.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2134 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »
They just released Stargazers.

Floor is badass as usual, but Tuomas keyboard lead tone.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD