Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317259 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2065 on: February 23, 2016, 08:09:28 PM »
Nothing tops that Argentina Ghost Love Score performance. Nothing.

That being said, I don't have issues with the mix of the DVD. It's not crystal clear as the Argentina song, but it's cool nonetheless.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2066 on: February 23, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
I thought they shot video in Vancouver last year?

I too have no issue with the Wacken show.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: February 24, 2016, 08:16:39 AM »
How do you guys feel about the mix of Showtime Storytime? I'm immensely let down by it.

The backing tracks/keyboard are super buried and I just really don't like the way the guitars or drums sound. Vocals sound good though.

It's a shame since the performances and video are so amazing.

That one video they released of Ghost Love Score from a different show had an amazing mix, I wish they would have done a similar mix for the dvd. I can't even listen to the songs when they come on my Ipod anymore, I just get so annoyed by how lazy the mix sounds.

I'm sure the next one will be better.

Speaking of which, I was under the impression we were getting another Floor bluray/dvd. Did I imagine this?

What's great about the blu-ray is that it also includes in the bonus features, that performance of Ghost Love Score.  A lot of this is on youtube though, so one can always check that out before purchase.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2068 on: February 24, 2016, 08:50:19 AM »
Just to get in the feels of this conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3brcfttchzA

Floor was born to be in this band.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2069 on: February 24, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
 :metal

That video is really amazing.  She is so great live!  I've never been happier to over spend and drive a distance to see a band before.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2070 on: February 24, 2016, 09:26:51 AM »
I haven't had the joy of watching them live with Floor yet, but I'm so so looking forward to it. I've always thought she's a great middle point between Tarja's extreme operatic vocals and Annette's sweet voice.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2071 on: February 24, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
I haven't had the joy of watching them live with Floor yet, but I'm so so looking forward to it. I've always thought she's a great middle point between Tarja's extreme operatic vocals and Annette's sweet voice.

Agreed on all counts.  This tour presented opportunities to see them.  But I was SO disappointed with the most recent album that having to drive a good distance to see a set dominated by the new material just was not appealing to me, notwithstanding getting to see Floor fronting the band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2072 on: February 24, 2016, 10:30:45 AM »

I was fortunate enough to see them with Floor like a week after Anette left. Man, they were on FIRE. I've seen Nightwish live maybe 4-5 times and usually they seem kind of bored/tired, but this show they were really pumped. Tons of energy and amazing performances from everyone. And they played Higher than Hope with the family of the guy who it's about on the side of the stage. Man, I nearly teared up, there was so much raw emotion on that stage then.

Also got to meet them prior, super nice. Especially Empu.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2073 on: February 25, 2016, 01:37:12 AM »
Floor definetely brings it live. I understand the dissapointment with the last cd, but remember that Tuomas writes 99% of all the music on the albums, plus the lyrics. I can understand them playing it relatively 'safe' with the first album with her on vocals. Seeing her perform Poet and the Pendulum, Ghost Love Score AND 7 days to the Wolves AND Stargazers live though....amazing.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2074 on: February 25, 2016, 03:58:25 AM »
Floor definetely brings it live. I understand the dissapointment with the last cd, but remember that Tuomas writes 99% of all the music on the albums, plus the lyrics. I can understand them playing it relatively 'safe' with the first album with her on vocals. Seeing her perform Poet and the Pendulum, Ghost Love Score AND 7 days to the Wolves AND Stargazers live though....amazing.

Yes, while I really like their latest album but loved older Tarja/Anette studio performances more, live is where Floor brings the true difference to this band. Seeing them last year was one of the best shows I ever saw in terms of vocals (Marco sounded great as well!). Her versitality is something to behold and her stage presence is also great. And I always have some of the Wacken performances in my playlist. Looking forward to the new live release a lot.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2075 on: February 25, 2016, 06:33:55 AM »
Man, I LOVED their last album. It sounds like it's going to be 3-5 years before the next album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2076 on: February 25, 2016, 06:35:44 AM »
I also LOVED the newest album, bought one of those flag posters at the concert last weekend and it is hanging in my basement along with my Iron Maiden flag posters.  In fact that lead me to buy three more flag posters to complete my basement wall with them  :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2077 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:33 PM »
My disappointment with the last CD has nothing to do with Floor.  It is all on Tuomas.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: March 08, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
Saw Nightwish last night. Another excellent show. Floor took a few moments on the stage by herself to recall the last time she performed in Seattle, only hours after the band asked her to join them after releasing Annette. She appeared to get a little misty recalling waiting backstage "shitting her pants" before coming out for the first time, not knowing what the crowd response was going to be. She thanked us profusely for welcoming her with open arms and banging heads, and thanked the band for the best 3.5 years of her life. Thank YOU Floor. No thank you to the sound guy who could have turned up Floor's mic a bit during their set.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2079 on: March 09, 2016, 06:47:30 AM »
Got an email that the show last night was canceled. Anyone hear why?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2080 on: March 09, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »

Said illness, but I'm wondering what's up as well.

Offline Djurico

« Reply #2081 on: March 09, 2016, 11:04:59 AM »
I saw Nightwish live last week and it was simply amazing. Floor was made to sing these songs. The sound was amazing as they were playing probably the best venue for sound in the city as opposed to one of the bars. I lost my shit the entire set.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2082 on: March 09, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »

Well, there are some nasty viruses circulating now. I think the flu is pretty heavy hitting this year (in Europe at least), so I imagine that can be a legit, sudden reason?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2083 on: March 09, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »

Well, there are some nasty viruses circulating now. I think the flu is pretty heavy hitting this year (in Europe at least), so I imagine that can be a legit, sudden reason?

Totally since I've been out sick the last few days and I know I am not the only one.  Just wondering if it's something this simple since we all know the history of them almost cancelling a show in the US.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: March 09, 2016, 12:17:29 PM »
Damn, glad they made it through Monday's show.

I was thinking while watching them, this band has the perfect make-up of members. Consider:

Brooding, tortured soul poet lyricist: Check
Atmospheric keyboards: Check
Good looking guitarist who can pound out riffs and solos: Check
Attractive, talented lead singer will a wide range and powerful, soaring vocals: Check
Thundering bassist: Check
A rock behind the drum kit: Check (forgot they have a new/temp guy on drums. He was awesome).
Bonus: Dude who is a master of unique, quirky instruments: Check
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: March 09, 2016, 12:30:45 PM »
Good points, I think Troy adds a lot to the band.  I had no idea he plays guitar too until seeing them, so besides his pipes and back up vocals, he adds a second guitar. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2086 on: March 11, 2016, 07:31:02 AM »
Yes, their current formation is both fantastic to look at and listen to. Their stage presence feels surprisingly balanced, for a stage that holds Floor, Tuomas, and Marco. I indeed think having Troy is a major addition. I really liked the extra vocals and the folk instruments that come up every now and then.

I know it isn't feasible for a lot of artists, but I really appreciate it when most of the instruments are actually played live.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: March 11, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
I know it isn't feasible for a lot of artists, but I really appreciate it when most of the instruments are actually played live.

That's a reason why I love My Walden, Troy goes from playing one pipe to another mid instrumental section (I don't know the names of them, one is more like a flute and the other is more like a bagpipe).  Really awesome, I put the video of that on my facebook page I love it so much.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2088 on: March 11, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
The only album I have listened to is Endless Forms Most Beautiful. Some cool songs in it - "Weak Fantasy", "My Walden", "Alpenglow" and "The Eyes Of Sharbat Gulah" are my favourites. I love those folk-ish instrumental flavours.

My best friend is a big Nightwish fan, so I've listened to some of the more classic (Tarja-era) material too, but not that much.

I'd also recommend Turisas, another Finnish metal band with symphonic and folk elements. This is my favourite song by them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLQjwWpXe14. Symphonic, proggy, with a catchy chorus, and a cool solo.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:35:10 AM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2089 on: March 11, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
Yesterday I was talking with a friend about the band and we came to the conclusion that the evolution Nightwish has had in the later years is awesome. I've been a fan of the band since 2004 or something like that, but now that they've undergone two vocalist changes and a big sound evolution I can totally resonate with I appreciate them more than ever. Endless Forms Most Beautiful is far from being my favorite NW album but I love where they went, and that's the same way I felt with both Imaginaerum and Dark Passion Play back in their respective release stages.

*Appreciates with passion*
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2090 on: March 18, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
We need Floor singing Phantom.

Whose with me?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2091 on: March 18, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
We need Floor singing Phantom.

Whose with me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmm4RAP7abI

There's lots of others with better quality. Just youtube Floor Jansen Phantom.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #2092 on: March 23, 2016, 10:32:48 PM »
Just got back from Delain\Sonata Arctica\Nightwish.  Last show of their 2016 North American Tour (Tampa).  Awesome night!  Absolutely packed venue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2093 on: March 24, 2016, 05:18:34 AM »
They had a lot of sold out/packed shows this tour.  I don't expect the US to see them again for some time.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2094 on: March 24, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Just got back from Delain\Sonata Arctica\Nightwish.  Last show of their 2016 North American Tour (Tampa).  Awesome night!  Absolutely packed venue.

Dammit I knew there was something I wanted to do last night.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2095 on: May 18, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »
Moscow Nightwish show is in two days! I have high expectations for this one since the tickets are really expensive for this show. I've bought my general admission ticket a few months ago and back then the price was about 70$ (for example, I've got Avantasia show ticket for $30), and now the price for GA is about $90-95. My friends ended up skipping the show so apparently I'm going alone.

They've been saying there will be no Meet and Greet for any Russian shows, but then like a week ago they announced there are 50 tickets for Moscow Meet and Greet session, with the price about $120 for the ticket (the ticket is M&G only, so you still have to buy the concert ticket to attend the show). I skipped that offer because that's kind of expensive for a few autographs, a photo and a quick chat with the band.

Apparently the M&G tickets weren't selling out too well so they've changed the price to a half of what it was, and now it's only $60. I decided I'll just work an extra day overtime in May and ordered it. :D I guess I'll have a chance to sign my EFMB artbook and maybe get Marco's autograph at TTOE book too, we'll see.

Oh, and does anyone want to ask anyone from the band anything? I may be able to pass your question if the opportunity arises.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: May 18, 2016, 11:10:47 AM »
I would like to ask Floor if she will marry me  :corn

Outside of that perhaps what Floor will be doing during the "year off".............side projects, ReVamp etc...?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:19:45 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: May 18, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
That's awesome Evermind.  You'll have a blast.  Both shows I saw on the tour were fantastic.

As for the higher ticket prices.... well I paid about 3 times face value to see them so I am quite jealous you can do a meet and greet and get a ticket for less than what I paid  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: May 18, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
As for the higher ticket prices.... well I paid about 3 times face value to see them so I am quite jealous you can do a meet and greet and get a ticket for less than what I paid  :lol

I think it's also the matter of currency value... that would've been pretty cheap for me like three or four years ago, but now the dollar is worth almost twice as much in roubles as it was back then, it's absolutely not cheap. I think the ticket + meet and greet cost ended up being about 15% of my monthly work payment, so there's that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:47 PM »
Damn, blame Putin  :lol sucks its costing that much for you.  I was only comparing the $.  But like I said, it'll be a good time so hopefully worth it.