Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313684 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2030 on: January 10, 2016, 01:47:09 AM »
I probably would have gone if I didn't have work to do.
This is not something you say very often, is it. :laugh:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2031 on: January 10, 2016, 02:12:35 AM »
I probably would have gone if I didn't have work to do.
This is not something you say very often, is it. :laugh:

I said I had work to do, not that I was actually doing it. :neverusethis:

But no, it's not something I often say. :lol

Kinda wish I had gone though, because it's been ages since I've gone to a gig, and they played some songs I really like (like Weak Fantasy).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2032 on: January 10, 2016, 04:48:14 PM »
I didn't realise until after the show, that they played at least one song from every album (apart from the debut).
Which I thought was pretty cool.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2033 on: January 11, 2016, 06:57:57 AM »
I was at the first HMH show last November and they are indeed on fire now, amazing show. If you have the chance, definately go see them.

And I was surprised to see which venues they sold out or almost sold out last year. Some pretty big ones carrying over 10.000 people, not only Wembley. Well deserved I'd say! Seeing that, it suddenly made sense why Arch Enemy and Amorphis, both well known acts within metal, were openers (though I really think Arch Enemy felt out of place in terms of music).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2034 on: January 11, 2016, 07:02:35 AM »
Just back from the gig and it was a really good night.  Unlike the last DT show where overwhelming volume/bass made pretty much everything inaudible , the sound (even though a bit bass heavy) was pretty clear.   Floor put on a vocal masterclass as always - effortless power , awesome stage presence and infectious enthusiasm.

The one major issue I have had with Nightwish over the years is them going back to the well too many times with the same old formula for many of their riffs (and some of the Celtic style melodies) and over the course of the gig I felt the same at times but that's really nitpicking. 

Top night and I would definitely go and see them again.

And here's something that never seems to happen - the support band had the crowd in the palm of their hand after the first minute and were actually pretty damn good.  Pretty basic Maiden influenced metal but good stuff.................and turns out I have an album of theirs and had forgotten about it. :lol
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:14:34 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: January 11, 2016, 07:46:03 AM »
Yea, NW is definitely getting popular.  The two times I saw them in NYC, one of the last shows with Annette and then this past year with Floor.. they played a bigger venue and had a very good turn out (although not sold out).  To compare, I saw them at the same places I have seen DT and both times had similar sized crowds. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2036 on: January 11, 2016, 09:23:43 AM »
And here's something that never seems to happen - the support band had the crowd in the palm of their hand after the first minute and were actually pretty damn good.  Pretty basic Maiden influenced metal but good stuff.................and turns out I have an album of theirs and had forgotten about it. :lol

Who was that?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: January 11, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »

Who was that?

Taberah.    I would be surprised if anyone has heard of them - the lead singer/guitarist was a real card.  Looked like Cozmo on speed.  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2038 on: January 11, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »

Who was that?

Taberah.    I would be surprised if anyone has heard of them - the lead singer/guitarist was a real card.  Looked like Cozmo on speed.  ;D

Soon to be heard on the next DTF Podcast I hope!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: January 11, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »

Who was that?

I need to revisit the studio album but yeah..............it had crossed my mind  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: January 11, 2016, 06:16:53 PM »

Who was that?

I need to revisit the studio album but yeah..............it had crossed my mind  ;D

Cool... they are on Spotify too.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2041 on: January 11, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »
I'm checking out Endless Forms and I'm starting to really like it, and taking to Floor's voice more.  I still miss Tarja though.  I'm royally pissed because I can't go see them in NJ next month because of my license suspension.  I don't think they're playing in New York.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2042 on: January 11, 2016, 08:16:45 PM »
Likewise, I still miss Tarja, but we have the old albums, and her solo stuff which is also excellent.
Floor is great and does justice to many of the older songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2043 on: January 12, 2016, 05:54:05 AM »
I'm checking out Endless Forms and I'm starting to really like it, and taking to Floor's voice more.  I still miss Tarja though.  I'm royally pissed because I can't go see them in NJ next month because of my license suspension.  I don't think they're playing in New York.

They played NYC last year.... just grab an Uber to get there.  That's what I am doing for the show next month since I plan on boozing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2044 on: January 12, 2016, 06:05:47 AM »

They played NYC last year.... just grab an Uber to get there.  That's what I am doing for the show next month since I plan on boozing.

That's definitely an option. That reminds me, I need to get my Epica ticket when I get paid Thursday.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2045 on: January 12, 2016, 06:13:30 AM »
Uber aint cheap though.  For me, I've done the pre-game at home, uber to and from Starland twice now.  The price has ranged from $8 to $40 one way  :lol  but worth it instead of getting behind the wheel.  I guess I could just not drink either, but concerts are so much more fun when you have a few drinks.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #2046 on: January 21, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
Is the debut worth listening to? I love the rest of the Tarja era albums, especially Wishmaster and Century Child, but have never been able to get more than three tracks into Angels Fall First before turning it off. The Carpenter is easily one of my least favorite Nightwish songs, and it kills my motivation to proceed further into the record.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: January 21, 2016, 12:18:02 PM »
Is the debut worth listening to? I love the rest of the Tarja era albums, especially Wishmaster and Century Child, but have never been able to get more than three tracks into Angels Fall First before turning it off. The Carpenter is easily one of my least favorite Nightwish songs, and it kills my motivation to proceed further into the record.

Is it worth listening to, yes.  Is it their worst album, IMO yes.  I don't think it's all bad though. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2048 on: January 21, 2016, 12:18:42 PM »
Yeah, that album has a typical ´debutalbum´ feel to it. It has some nice ideas, but some of the tracks are truely horrendous. Tomas Holopainen himself has said he views it as a glorified demo. The band showed a steep learning curve after that, though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline 425

« Reply #2049 on: January 21, 2016, 12:26:23 PM »
I would say that it is worth it for the title track and Lappi at least. I think it's a decent album and definitely worth listening to, but it does seem kind of demo-ish.

The Carpenter is really weak, mostly because of Tuomas's off-key singing in the chorus. Nothing else really is discordant like that.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: January 21, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »
Yeah, that album has a typical ´debutalbum´ feel to it. It has some nice ideas, but some of the tracks are truely horrendous. Tomas Holopainen himself has said he views it as a glorified demo. The band showed a steep learning curve after that, though.

Agreed. If you listen to the albums in chronological order you can actually see the clear shift in not just the music, but the song writing consistently got better.  I totally see it as a glorified demo.  There are parts that are great, but the songs themselves mostly are not.  I say it's worth listening to because you seem to be a fan of the band. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2051 on: January 21, 2016, 10:54:20 PM »
AFF was my first NW album, it was a complete shock at the time (1997) to hear those vocals with that music.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2052 on: January 21, 2016, 11:13:48 PM »
it was definetely a novelty genre at that time.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: February 05, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »
I'm supposed to see NW the first night of the second leg two weeks from today, but just found out I might be flying home from Denver that evening  >:(.  If so, thinking I might make the drive up to Connecticut the next day to see them.  :metal

Easily the best concert I went to last year so I don't want to miss this opportunity.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: February 17, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »
Bumping this because due to my issue above, I cannot attend this Friday's show.  I purchased my tickets for will call and I went to the box office over the weekend to see if I can get them to put up for sale since the show is sold out, but they couldn't do that since they won't have the tickets until Friday.

Having said that, the point of the bump, I can transfer them to someone.  If anyone in the NJ/NYC area is looking to go to the sold out Delain/Sonata Arctica/Nightwish show, I can give them the tickets, two of them.  For DTF, I can do this for the fine fee of 0 dollars.  Would rather someone enjoy the show than nothing at all.

Anyway, the Connecticut show the next night is sold out as well, but one ticket finally came up on stubhub and i snatched it right up, for about $100 over face value.  Oh well, at least I am going to get to see them.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2055 on: February 17, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »
Damn, if i didn't have work in Philly on friday I'd snap those up instantly  :'(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: February 22, 2016, 07:44:30 AM »
Awesome concert in Hartford Connecticut.

So I made the drive for this one, but it was definitely worth it.  Setlist was fairly standard for what they've been doing, only a few different songs since last year when they last came around, While Yours Lips are Red, Seven Days to the Wolves,and Ever Dream.  The crowd was really into them, being a sold out show.  I showed up just after Delain started played and the place was packed already.  Everyone at the concert seemed very friendly, much different than some of my other concert experiences were there always seems to be a jerk.  The website said there was a coat check but when I got there, none was to be found.  I ended up throwing a nice tip to one of the bartenders who looked the other way as I went into the backroom and hung my jacket up on the employee room  :lol

Some videos I got:

Ever Dream - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYj3OTaA5ug
Ghost Love Score - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAc4nQ3-9Sk
and assortment of clips - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3V58LhPn6E
also, best part of that above video https://youtu.be/j3V58LhPn6E?t=16m10s
when I catch Emppu's guitar pick!

Delain was awesome, I will write a review in the Delain thread, but I was not impressed with Sonata Arctica.  It didn't help that they sounded like shit either, all drums and couldn't hear the guitar or vocals.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #2057 on: February 22, 2016, 09:45:19 AM »
Glad to hear that you had a good time, cramx3!

I'm a little disappointed to see that the setlist is so unchanged from last year, but I'm not that upset considering I love the majority of the songs in the setlist.

What I am disappointed to hear about is Sonata Arctica. They are one of my favorite bands so I hope they are mixed better at the Columbus concert on Thursday. I do wish they were playing more songs from Pariah's Child (latest album), since it is actually one of my favorites.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2058 on: February 22, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »
Glad to hear that you had a good time, cramx3!

I'm a little disappointed to see that the setlist is so unchanged from last year, but I'm not that upset considering I love the majority of the songs in the setlist.

What I am disappointed to hear about is Sonata Arctica. They are one of my favorite bands so I hope they are mixed better at the Columbus concert on Thursday. I do wish they were playing more songs from Pariah's Child (latest album), since it is actually one of my favorites.

I think if the sound was better it would have been more enjoyable.  I like a few of their songs and it didn't seem to be a bad performance, just totally ruined by the mix.  I don't think I had ever experienced such an uneven mix before, and it was only them.  Delain/NW sounded great.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: February 23, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing them this leg, but their LA show is general admission  :'(  I'm too frikken old and spoiled for GA  :lol  Beers+old = a LOT of pee breaks.  So I'd never have a good vantage

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2060 on: February 23, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »
just starting to get into this band.  Do they have a kick ass, must have dvd/blu-ray by chance?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: February 23, 2016, 06:37:28 PM »
just starting to get into this band.  Do they have a kick ass, must have dvd/blu-ray by chance?
Showtime/Storytime live at Waken 2013 - EXCELLENT!!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #2062 on: February 23, 2016, 06:56:07 PM »
End of an Era is also good if you want one with Tarja (the singer on their first five albums). Showtime, Storytime is probably better, though.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2063 on: February 23, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »
Showtime/Storytime live at Waken 2013 - EXCELLENT!!!!

^That.

End of an Era is pretty damned great too - but a little hard to come by.

Edit - Ninja'd.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2064 on: February 23, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »
How do you guys feel about the mix of Showtime Storytime? I'm immensely let down by it.

The backing tracks/keyboard are super buried and I just really don't like the way the guitars or drums sound. Vocals sound good though.

It's a shame since the performances and video are so amazing.

That one video they released of Ghost Love Score from a different show had an amazing mix, I wish they would have done a similar mix for the dvd. I can't even listen to the songs when they come on my Ipod anymore, I just get so annoyed by how lazy the mix sounds.

I'm sure the next one will be better.

Speaking of which, I was under the impression we were getting another Floor bluray/dvd. Did I imagine this?
fanticide.bandcamp.com