Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317589 times)

Offline ronnibran

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1995 on: August 18, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »
Awesome, thanks for all the feedback!  I am planning on checking out all Nightwish's albums eventually, and think I'll start with Imaginaerum next.  And then the latest.  And then more of the early stuff.

Not in a hurry, though, still rocking it out hard to Century Child and Dark Passion Play.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1996 on: August 21, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »
From NW's facebook

Right before the European leg of the »Endless Forms Most Beautiful« tour kicks off, NIGHTWISH will release a special tour edition of the current album. Released on October 30th the tour edition will include a bonus DVD with lots of great bonus material (21 making-of episodes, two previously unreleased live clips, five special clips, Élan & Endless Forms Most Beautiful official videos + photo gallery).

The two unreleased live clips are apparently Yours is an Empty Hope and Stargazers.  Not sure where those are filmed, but got that info because you can get the DVD alone here https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/dvd-bluray/dvd-digi/nightwish-endless-forms-most-beautiful-bonus-dvd.html?sc_src=email_308978&sc_llid=6269&sc_lid=6977984&sc_uid=T7YDa0QoBf&sc_eh=92cc5f259b2c64a71

Also, the released another "making of" episode that is all about Troy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynt4sR8Udls&list=PLB4brr7vf-P6LMpAuLbvvaskBkEUpbNuL&index=1

That was cool to see as I was always interested in his story.

Also, who ever runs the NW FB page, commented on a commenter who asked if the live clips were from the filmed Vancouver show and the response was "Sorry no, not edited yet."

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1997 on: August 21, 2015, 09:18:06 PM »
This looks to be as much of a rip off as Made In Hong Kong (And In Various Other Places).  I'll wait for the proper live album that they'll probably put out in about six months.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1998 on: August 24, 2015, 03:15:07 PM »
Tickets seem to be doing well, the concert I will attent is sold out and they are booked for the next evening as well (venue holds about 5500 people). Probably it being Floor's first NW concert in the Netherlands (I think?) helps. Still, good to see ticket sales doing well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: August 24, 2015, 03:41:26 PM »
Tickets seem to be doing well, the concert I will attent is sold out and they are booked for the next evening as well (venue holds about 5500 people). Probably it being Floor's first NW concert in the Netherlands (I think?) helps. Still, good to see ticket sales doing well.

Going to the Heineken Music Hall?  That place is next to the Holiday Inn Hotel I stay at when I go to Amsterdam for work, will be there next week actually.  I'd love to see a concert there.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2000 on: August 25, 2015, 02:42:54 AM »

Going to the Heineken Music Hall?  That place is next to the Holiday Inn Hotel I stay at when I go to Amsterdam for work, will be there next week actually.  I'd love to see a concert there.

Yes! I think HMH is a very nice venue (saw DT there last year actually). But I have to say I am not very fond of the other Dutch venues of similar size I attented (for concerts of artists like Alice Cooper, DT again, Jerry Lee Lewis etc.), so I don't exactly know how it compares in quality to the good ones, but most people seem to be fond of it as well. 

Have fun in Amsterdam btw, if you need info, just ask. I study/live there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: September 02, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »

Yes! I think HMH is a very nice venue (saw DT there last year actually). But I have to say I am not very fond of the other Dutch venues of similar size I attented (for concerts of artists like Alice Cooper, DT again, Jerry Lee Lewis etc.), so I don't exactly know how it compares in quality to the good ones, but most people seem to be fond of it as well. 

Have fun in Amsterdam btw, if you need info, just ask. I study/live there.

Thanks, made it here today and walked over the Heineken Music Hall just to see the ad for Nightwish lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2002 on: October 02, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »
So the pro-shot concert of Rock in Rio is online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1SsoGKsWvA

Warning: the sound is kind of like a bad bootleg, soundboard guys of the broadcast were sleeping. Seems like a great performance though, and Tony Kakko of Sonata Artica sings along with two songs. Too bad the mix kills his vocals.

Still, a nice little appetizer for the upcoming DVD  ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2003 on: October 02, 2015, 03:48:28 PM »
Thanks for the link.
The sound is nowhere near as bad as you described it, I have many bootlegs that don't sound this good  ;)
It's raw unmixed straight from the soundboard, I've heard a lot worse.
Marco's skirt is pretty cute  :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2004 on: October 03, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
awesome, sucks they didn't do more of their set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2005 on: October 04, 2015, 02:58:55 AM »
Interesting that Floor does Stargazers with her classical opera vocals. She seems to do most of the olders songs with pop/rock-type of vocals. Love the diversity of her performance.

Can't wait for the concert over here and the upcoming DVD release of those US shows (and more).

Thanks for the link.
The sound is nowhere near as bad as you described it, I have many bootlegs that don't sound this good  ;)
It's raw unmixed straight from the soundboard, I've heard a lot worse.
Marco's skirt is pretty cute  :biggrin:

Yeah, I was just pissed off that Tony is slmost inaudible when singing the louder parts. Looked at a few cellphone vids and there you can clearly hear him. But overall, it is a very cool performance and the sound is indeed very serviceable  ;D

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2006 on: October 12, 2015, 06:54:36 PM »
Finally picked up the newest album "Endless Forms".  Got the mp3 deluxe version with the instrumental versions in case any songs really rubbed me the wrong way.

First impression was that it sounds much like the previous 2 albums. Like a lot.  I figure repeated listens will change that thinking, but that is my first impression.

I have a few full listens in by now.  Pretty good, but not initially liking it as much as Dark Passion Play.  After reading so many glowing reviews of the latest singer I was hoping for a bit more.  Not that it's bad in any way, but just sounds like more of the same a bit.  When it comes down to it, I think I'd take Tarja over the other singers any day.  But at the end of the day, every album by Nightwish is pretty damn good.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2007 on: October 12, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »
Your more than likely to missing out on loads of stuff going on with the music, thanks to the compression of mp3.
Of the 3 albums since Tarja was ousted, DPP is still my fave.
Yes I think Tarja is the voice of NW, but she is long gone, so Floor is a very worthy replacement.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2008 on: November 03, 2015, 04:13:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtXqUNB8zrU

Official live clip of Yours is an Empty Hope  :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2009 on: November 03, 2015, 06:47:54 AM »
Awesome!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2010 on: November 21, 2015, 04:25:37 AM »
Saw Nightwish at the Heineken Music Hall on thursday.  It was an awesome show and Floor was very moved by the homecrowd reception. Here´s some examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIGeDbUOiZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5T95Psd6bc
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2011 on: November 21, 2015, 08:41:09 AM »
Awesome videos, I am so jealous. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2012 on: November 21, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »
Damn, one of these days I'll get to see them live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2013 on: November 22, 2015, 05:23:07 AM »
I was actually on the left side of the venue, and the first time those steam cannons went off I was sure something went wrong! From the frontal position you can see its actually a couple of them going off at the same time, but to the side you get the illusion it´s just one stream shooting across the stage. Same with the projection screens. from the side it looks like all one screen when in fact its several smaller ones. Also, you  could really smell the pyro tech fumes when the show started and I was concerned there was a fire going on or something. The the flames went off and I was like´oh, right, pyro!´.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2014 on: December 21, 2015, 03:54:40 AM »
Stunning show at Wembley Saturday night. The production was totally bombastic and over the top, and Floor was amazing, note perfect throughout. The Endless Forms material shone. Wembley was sold out (I never knew they were that popular - even DT have the place half empty when they've played there) and the show was filmed for future release. Still on a high!  :metal :metal :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: December 21, 2015, 05:27:02 AM »
Thats awesome, saw they played an interesting set list and saw some videos on youtube, huge crowd. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: December 21, 2015, 06:03:21 AM »
Thats awesome, saw they played an interesting set list and saw some videos on youtube, huge crowd.

Saw that too.  Poet and Wolves... :metal  I so want to see them on the next US leg, but they're playing a GA venue in SoCal this time around.  I'm too frikken old for GA  :lol  I need piss breaks, and I'll lose any good spot I have  :loser:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: December 21, 2015, 06:10:22 AM »
I already got my ticket for NJ, I'm actually really excited because its a small venue and seeing them sell out Wembley and then I get to see them in some small joint makes me happy because I love that more intimate setting. The last two times I saw them they played much bigger venues as well. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2018 on: December 21, 2015, 06:47:49 AM »
The gig they're playing around here in February is small, and a small market.  Same venue that I saw Kamelot/Dragonforce a few weeks back - 300 people tops.  Really looking forward to catching them again at that venue.  And hoping they do some of those DPP songs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: December 21, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »
The gig they're playing around here in February is small, and a small market.  Same venue that I saw Kamelot/Dragonforce a few weeks back - 300 people tops.  Really looking forward to catching them again at that venue.  And hoping they do some of those DPP songs.

haha same with me, the same venue Kamelot/Dragonforce played here which also drew a small crowd.  I do know Nightwish is much more popular, I think the show by me could sell out.  Also with Delain and Sonata Arctica, they got a good bill.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2020 on: December 21, 2015, 09:09:46 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing them in 3 weeks here in Sydney.
If they keep the set list the same as the European tour, I will be very happy.
That really obscure 'movie' song is a very nice surprise too  :o

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: December 21, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing them in 3 weeks here in Sydney.
If they keep the set list the same as the European tour, I will be very happy.
That really obscure 'movie' song is a very nice surprise too  :o

I can't say Im a fan of the song, but do think it's cool they played it and switched things up a bit. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2022 on: December 21, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »
I love the song.
I hope that they pull out more older stuff from Oceanborn and Wishmaster.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: December 21, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »
Agreed, when they come back to the States I am hoping for a revamped setlist, but at least I know they switch up enough songs that I should get a fairly different set from the first show of the tour.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2024 on: December 22, 2015, 12:45:15 PM »
Stunning show at Wembley Saturday night. The production was totally bombastic and over the top, and Floor was amazing, note perfect throughout. The Endless Forms material shone. Wembley was sold out (I never knew they were that popular - even DT have the place half empty when they've played there) and the show was filmed for future release. Still on a high!  :metal :metal :metal

I suppose they're going to do some editing to not show Dawkins forgetting his line and having to look at the cheat sheet.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: December 22, 2015, 12:45:57 PM »

I suppose they're going to do some editing to not show Dawkins forgetting his line and having to look at the cheat sheet.

hahahahaha really? thats hilarious ONE JOB Dawkins!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2026 on: January 09, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
Back from the Sydney show.
Over the years I've seen quite a few Nightwish shows, with all 3 singers.
The earlier shows, from 2000 era were pretty raw and rough, they have progressed so much over the years.
Now a very professional and slick live act, having seen them 2 years ago at the same venue, that was my girlfriend's first ever concert.
This time we brought her 15 year old daughter, which was her first live show too.

Suffice to say it was probably the best NW show I have seen, just beating out Hartwell Arena Helsinki 2005 (Tarja's last show).
Everyone was on top form, set list was great, a few surprises and the audience was pretty loud.
While Your Lips Are Still Red, was amazing, with Troy in electric guitar while Emppu took a break.
Ghost Love Score was pretty amazing, with Floor pretty much making it her own now.
I wanted to buy a shirt, as I didn't pay for the 3 tickets, but they were all gone pretty fast.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: January 09, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »
Good to hear mate -  I'll get online and brush up on the songs from the set.  I'll be there in Melbourne on Monday.

I came to Nightwish more as a fan of Floor than anything (was only a very casual fan before) and so not overly familiar with any "deep cuts" they might use.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2028 on: January 09, 2016, 07:41:40 PM »
My sister went to last night's show, and thought it was excellent.
Even though I'm not familiar with a lot of Nightwish, I probably would have gone if I didn't have work to do.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2029 on: January 10, 2016, 12:50:58 AM »
Brent, not many deep cuts really:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2016/enmore-theatre-sydney-australia-4bf24bbe.html

With the Melbourne sell out crowd should be a good gig.
I watched Kai closely, as I am a big fan of his other bands (Swallow The Sun and Wintersun) and he was
an absolute monster.