Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 314011 times)

Shredzorz and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1820 on: April 15, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »
Cool that they are doing a DVD.  But in that case, I DO have a problem with the set list, because there is too much overlap from Wacken.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #1821 on: April 15, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »
**Spoilers**

There is a lot of overlap, but I would still love to see this DVD for several of the EFMB tracks plus Floor-Stargazers, Floor-Sleeping Sun and The Islander(!).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1822 on: April 15, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
Yeah, it's still pretty good for fans of the new album.  But for someone like me who hates it, the overlap on the non-new album songs makes this an automatic "I'll pass."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #1823 on: April 15, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense. And I kind of figured you wouldn't be so hot on this one, since the album I'd say it's most comparable to is Dark Passion Play.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: April 15, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »
Who knows?  Maybe they'll mix the setlist up a bit for that show?  We can hope.  Would be awesome to see something like Our Decades in the Sun instead of Amaranth.  Or something REALLY special like... Poet and the Pendulum  :biggrin:  Yeah...I know it's a pipe dream, but I did see  a recent interview and  Floor was asked what back catalog piece she'd like to do most, that's what she named. :metal :metal :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: April 15, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
Im pumped for a new DVD but it seems fairly early in the tour for that and I would also hope to have some of the setlist changed so there is less overlap.  Regardless thats a definitely buy for me.

Offline 425

« Reply #1826 on: April 15, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »
Or something REALLY special like... Poet and the Pendulum  :biggrin:  Yeah...I know it's a pipe dream, but I did see  a recent interview and  Floor was asked what back catalog piece she'd like to do most, that's what she named. :metal :metal :metal

Really? I would LOVE for them to play this. One of my top 3 or so Nightwish songs. Unfortunately, I think Tuomas finds it too emotionally trying; I doubt we'll see it. But maybe. Maybe.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: April 15, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
Or something REALLY special like... Poet and the Pendulum  :biggrin:  Yeah...I know it's a pipe dream, but I did see  a recent interview and  Floor was asked what back catalog piece she'd like to do most, that's what she named. :metal :metal :metal

Really? I would LOVE for them to play this. One of my top 3 or so Nightwish songs. Unfortunately, I think Tuomas finds it too emotionally trying; I doubt we'll see it. But maybe. Maybe.

I went back and watched the interview again, trying to gauge Tuomas's reaction when she states that.  Here's the interview, it's at the 23:08 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDzB4Mot6xE

Offline 425

« Reply #1828 on: April 15, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
**Spoilers** (Does anyone actually care or am I doing this for nothing? Speak now or forever hold your peace.)

Well, he did say it was one of his favorites! It probably won't happen at any point this tour because The Greatest Show On Earth and Ghost Love Score are both in the setlist, so it's already jam-packed with long stuff. But what Tuomas and Floor said gives me hope that it may come back for future tours, especially if they rest Ghost Love Score next time around.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: April 15, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
**Spoilers** (Does anyone actually care or am I doing this for nothing? Speak now or forever hold your peace.)

Well, he did say it was one of his favorites! It probably won't happen at any point this tour because The Greatest Show On Earth and Ghost Love Score are both in the setlist, so it's already jam-packed with long stuff. But what Tuomas and Floor said gives me hope that it may come back for future tours, especially if they rest Ghost Love Score next time around.

Maybe they swap those two for the filming, would make a lot of sense in terms of song diversity on live albums.

Offline 425

« Reply #1830 on: April 15, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »
It would be great if they did that. I somewhat doubt that they will, though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1831 on: April 15, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
I'd love to hear any song from Dark Passion Play, as it's my favorite Nightwish album. I've already heard 'Poet' live 3 times, but it never gets old, and hearing it with Floor would be awesome!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1832 on: April 16, 2015, 12:43:09 AM »
I'd die to hear Poet and the Pendulum live! With all the crap Annette Olzon caught about her stage-presence, the clips I have seen of her singing that, I thought she did an amazing job.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1833 on: April 17, 2015, 08:45:01 AM »
About to head out to the Nightwish show in Cleveland. Outside of Dream Theater, Nightwish is probably my favorite band, so I'm thrilled to see them with Floor (only saw them once previously with Anette).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: April 17, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »
About to head out to the Nightwish show in Cleveland. Outside of Dream Theater, Nightwish is probably my favorite band, so I'm thrilled to see them with Floor (only saw them once previously with Anette).

Hope it's an awesome show!   :metal :metal :metal

**SPOILER ALERT**

Now there's a 3rd song in the rotation after Storytime........ last night they did Dark Chest of Wonders in that slot AND replaced Amaranth with Nemo  in the 3rd song spot.  It's great to see a little bit of song shuffling :metal :metal
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:52:21 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: April 17, 2015, 09:11:42 AM »
Finished listening to the new album yesterday. Not a huge fan. It feels extremely derivative of their past works, predictable, and is pretty much Nightwish by the numbers. It's not "bad", but I can't help but be reminded of several other songs that I like better than what's on display here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1836 on: April 17, 2015, 09:36:07 AM »
Finished listening to the new album yesterday. Not a huge fan. It feels extremely derivative of their past works, predictable, and is pretty much Nightwish by the numbers. It's not "bad", but I can't help but be reminded of several other songs that I like better than what's on display here.

Exactly how I feel, AND I feel it is largely derivative of one of my least favorite albums, which doesn't help.  Combine that with the lyrics, and this equates to a dud for me.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1837 on: April 17, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »

You gotta admit though, The Greatest Show On Earth is the stuff of masterpiece.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1838 on: April 17, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »
In Cleveland enjoying a beer at Great Lakes Brewing Company :)

It's very interesting to see the negative reactions to the album. Outside of Decades, which I simply don't care for, I think it's one of their best.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline 425

« Reply #1839 on: April 17, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
On a somewhat related note, I've been listening to a lot of Nightwish lately and I've really been loving Dark Passion Play more and more the more I listen to it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: April 17, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »
Not quite sure where it falls yet on my album list, probably will end up in the top 4, but it's about time I rate the songs  :hat

1.    Shudder Before the Beautiful       - The perfect opener, great to see a rare keyboard/guitar dual with NW.
2.    Weak Fantasy                             - Gonna be awseome live...it kicked ass on the New York show clip  :metal
3.    Edema Ruh                                 - Really wish they were playing it this tour
4.    Endless Forms most Beautiful       - LOVE the instrumental section, especially the piano chops @ 4:00
5.    Our Decades in the Sun               - beautiful representation of Floors softer side
6.    TGSOE                                       - It's growing on me.  Or should I say 14 mins of it is.  :lol
7.    My Walden                                  - Solid tune, great subject matter and vibe.
8.    Alpenglow                                   - Started a little higher on my list, then slipped a bit.
9.    Elan                                           -  Good song....  nothing overwhelming though
10.  The Eyes Of Sharbat Gula            -  Good sountrack tune for future diving videos....LOL
11.  Yours Is An Empty Hope              -  I'm really trying to like this song, but it aint happening,  Kind of like DT's Burning my Soul in that way

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1841 on: April 18, 2015, 06:01:50 AM »
I love the shift in tempo halfway into My Walden. Great athmosphere there. I have no complaints at all with the rest of the album. I love it.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: April 21, 2015, 08:23:32 PM »
A little news snippet.........

The NIGHTWISH show in Vancouver, British Columbia on April 25 at The Orpheum will be filmed for a future DVD release.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1843 on: April 21, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »
Way to be right on top of that news, Brent!!!  :lol  You be a page/week late

If true...this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... :yarr

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-vancouver-show-to-be-filmed-for-dvd-release/
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1844 on: April 21, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
Didn't review the thread before posting sorry  :blush    It was actually pulled from a more extensive article and interview from yesterday so I assumed it was "new news"

Perhaps the interview will interest you  :P  And if that was miraculously posted a week ago then tough titties :lol

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwishs-floor-jansen-im-not-the-kind-of-singer-thats-always-super-super-careful/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1845 on: April 21, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »
It's so good to have Floor back in production full-time after that bout of exhaustion she had a few years ago.  Glad she's living life like a normal person.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: April 23, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »
**SETLIST SPOILER ALERT****

Cause I know folks seem to really dig this song, and I would love to hear it, I thought I'd share ...  Last night in Denver they replaced I Want my Tears Back with the live premiere of.... Alpenglow  :metal  about 9 days till LA!!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #1847 on: April 23, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »
YES!  :metal Here's hoping they play it when they record the DVD!
And if spirit's a sign,

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: April 23, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
YES! Im glad they played it but I really wish I got to see it

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: April 23, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
YES! I wish they come to my country this tour, Alpenglow or not.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1850 on: April 23, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »
Found it on youtube already, love Troy's solo

https://youtu.be/-t1iDfaCtrE

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1851 on: April 23, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
Fucking sweet!!!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1852 on: April 23, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »
Yeah...that was pretty fuckin wicked!   :metal

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: April 25, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »
SO!!!  Tonight is DVD night....  Any set list predictions?  Will we see some regulars dropped for something new??

I'm gonna go out on a big limb and go for the hail mary.... 

Poet and The Pendulum to replace Ghost Love Score   :yarr

My fuzzy logic....

1.  They've got 3 nice recordings of GLS, including 2 by Floor
2.  PATP has not been recorded
3.  Floor has stated a desire to perform it

Thoughts?  Predictions?  Don't give a rats ass??  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:39:55 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1854 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
Id hope for some major changes but not of the new songs as long as Alpenglow is included as well.