Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317603 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1715 on: March 29, 2015, 03:12:41 PM »
I haven't heard the album yet...truing not to cheat by listening to youtube tracks.  I did however watch an interview with her and Marco, and I got the impression that she would like to have been involved in the writing process. She also mentions that she basically showed up early (according to the schedule) to be part of the overall recording process.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1716 on: March 29, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
I haven't heard the album yet...truing not to cheat by listening to youtube tracks.  I did however watch an interview with her and Marco, and I got the impression that she would like to have been involved in the writing process. She also mentions that she basically showed up early (according to the schedule) to be part of the overall recording process.

She said in another interview that she wanted to focus on singing lower. She wanted to work on that aspect or something.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: March 29, 2015, 03:18:48 PM »

She said in another interview that she wanted to focus on singing lower. She wanted to work on that aspect or something.

I read in a review, here again I haven't heard the album, that her vocal range was pretty broad on this album?  She sounds great in the stuff I've heard with her in the lower registers.  That being said, her upper register soars so beautifully...i.e. Ghost Love Score

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1718 on: March 29, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
She sounds fine on EFMB. For some reason it seems people here just want her to belt it out anywhere and everywhere even if it doesn't require it.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1719 on: March 29, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
Anyone else see this or hear anything about Jukka playing at the Rock for Rio show in September?  On the NW Tour page it says...

25 Sep 2015 Rio, BR  .....Rock in Rio with Jukka Nevalainen

https://nightwish.com/en/live

On the Rock and Rio line up page too :)  Good to hear!

https://rockinrio.com/rio/en/line-up/

**edit....  also on his FB page.  I wonder if the one show might be recorded?   One of the Admins on the Nightwish forum said Kai told them it will be a guest appearance for 1 song at that show.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:14:39 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: March 29, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »
That sounds awesome!

Really digging the song Edema Ruh at the moment. This albums very good, I can't stop listening.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: March 29, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
She sounds fine on EFMB. For some reason it seems people here just want her to belt it out anywhere and everywhere even if it doesn't require it.

OK- I'll bite .  You're obviously very passionate about this matter  :lol  It's just a few opinions (one which seems very common outside of DTF too) but I'll expand on mine a bit.

The big disappointment for me is how Floor Jansen has been used.   I come to this album as a Nightwish fan but an even bigger fan of Floor , especially her work on the final After Forever album.  The Showtime Storytime stuff and in particular the way she blitzed Ghost Love Score on that bonus footage had me drooling in anticipation for this album.

I know not everyone agrees with me but I wanted to see an album that was written to take full advantage of her power and ability to cover the operatic and metal sides better than anyone.  Instead she's very restrained , too low in the mix and IMHO is being used as a support/compliment to the music rather than a feature of the band. In many ways it sounds like an album written for Anette's range and Floor can just kick back with a beer and do this in her sleep.  She gives a good performance of course but there's no real fire to it , except on the epic The Greatest Show On Earth which kicks ass and is clearly Floor's best moment with good back and forward with Marco (who is very lightly used on the album.). 

I have no way of knowing the basis for others' anticipation for this album  but , aside from being a fairly casual fan of the band,  mine was in large part based around being a long time fan of Floor and the particular vocal style she used in bands like After Forever.  That style - plenty of operatic and lots of powerful rock singing-  is mostly absent from this record and therefore, along with her being too low in the mix for me (which is a large part of it) , I'm a bit disappointed.  She's mentioned here and there that she'd like to eventually have more songwriting input and that's a part of it too.  IMHO she is a complement to the music in Nightwish rather than the feature like she has been in past bands and that might be fine for some. 

For the record I'd rather listen to the new Nightwish than ReVamp...............and there she really was going "all out" , so that addresses that I hope.

I still gave the album 85% and said Floor gives a good performance.  Floor at 60-70% is still very pleasant to listen to and better than most.

In DT terms I equate it to the next album containing a whole lot of songs where JLB keeps it to only 60% of his regular power/range and it all sounds rather middle of the road compared to past material.  Or I buy a new Jorn Lande album and he sounds like he's channeling Billy Joel.......slight exaggeration perhaps :lol  We all have our hopes and expectations based on past experience with an artist and Floor hasn't met many peoples on this album.  Simple as that.   If she's met yours then that's great  :tup
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:09:54 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1722 on: March 29, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »
I like Floor, she sounds great. Her version of Ghost Love Score is one of my favorite songs ever, although I still prefer the original just because of the studio crispness. I guess they're neck and neck. Anyway, although she goes all out on ReVamp, that band is boring. Yes, she's a tad low in the mix on the new NW, but it wouldn't sound right if she was cranked up and wailing when it wasn't necessary. I think she's used just fine.

I like Amanda Somerville more than Floor, and I wish Amanda would do more albums.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1723 on: March 29, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »
. Yes, she's a tad low in the mix on the new NW, but it wouldn't sound right if she was cranked up and wailing when it wasn't necessary.

I agree with that ..........the songs obviously weren't written with her full capabilities in mind and that's a big part of it.   I don't blame Floor at all - she's done what the songwriters expected and what fits those songs.

Her version of Ghost Love Score is one of my favorite songs ever

I also agree with that and actually this was a big part of further heightening my expectations for what Nightwish+Floor could be.  For mine she's not even close to this level on the new album for the reasons we have discussed.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: March 29, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »
The songs on this album do not call for huge vocals.  I think people thought the band might write music that could use her operatic style and power, but for the most part they did not.  Floor is still fantastic on this album, she just doesn't show it all off which is fine, cause the music is great without it and where it calls for it, she delivers.  I'm having a hard time finding something significant to complain about with the album so far.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: March 30, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
Got my copy today.  LOVE IT!  I've listened to it probably 4x through now and really enjoying it.  The one exception, is the epic.  I'm sorry.... but it probably ranks as my least favorite +15 min song, ever.  Minus a few minutes it just sounds like a movie soundtrack to me....I want too watch the movie that it goes to!  THAT would be interesting.  We'll see as time wears on...but I seriously doubt it will grow on me much.  I just hope they don't play it on the upcoming tour.  That would replace 4-6 great songs.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1726 on: March 31, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »

I like Amanda Somerville more than Floor, and I wish Amanda would do more albums.

Hmmm, hard to choose between the two..... maybe both at the same time  :biggrin:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1727 on: April 01, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »
Floor´s gettin´ready....

Getting ready for the tour! Often I get asked what I do to keep my voice in shape. Well, the voice is part of the body so the entire system needs to be healthy! A good condition is essential to have a good resistance. Next to that it's important during a show because you need a lot of muscles to power, the voice itself is a tiny muscle that vibrates but shouldn't be pushed. Healthy food and enough sleep are also a must! You need to organize this for yourself and keep guard without over-analyzing everything! A good party or glass of wine is mental food that is also important, a good mind set just as powerful as a healthy body! Voice wise I'm set with these things, I can sing endlessly long but talking loud or breathing in smoke is terrible so I must avoid this.
 I've been working out in this cool gym in my new home town Joensuu So, I'm getting ready to hit te road! North America first! Are you ready? #worldtour #Nightwish #fittari #joensuu #voice #health #sports #happy #newalbum #newyork #endlessformsmostbeautiful
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: April 01, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Commented on that post on IG with a "See you next week in NY" lol Im super pumped for the first show of the tour!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1729 on: April 02, 2015, 09:39:45 AM »
Picked this up yesterday.  They had the standard and the special edition.  Since the only thing extra the special edition offered was the disc of instrumental-only tracks, I went with the standard.  I have not gotten through the entire thing yet, but when I first popped it in, I was immediately struck with how low in the mix Floor is at the start of Shudder Before The Beautiful.  In fact, overall, I will say that the mix sounds strange to me.  But at least Floor clicked up a notch about halfway through the song.

Before the guitar kicked in, I was laughing to myself a bit, having read the posts about it being basically a "recycled" riff.  I could tell from the other instruments and the drum pattern (which is a VERY Jukka drum pattern) exactly what the guitar riff was going to be.  Truly "Nightwish by numbers," and that's perfectly fine. 

I will say, however, that I am underwhelmed thus far.  It is a combination of things, really.  Part of it is that, based on what we knew going in, I was a bit put off already before I even heard a single note.  But despite that, I am doing my best to give it a fair shake.  Another part is Floor.  I had read the varying opinions about her singing and how some felt that she sounded too restrained, while others argued that what she was singing fit the songs.  Not having heard it yet when I read those comments, my first instinct was to side with those who say that if the vocals fit what the song is calling for, that is the most important thing--not that Floor try to wow us by belting out every note.  But having listened to it, I am somewhere in the middle.  I think there are definitely parts of some songs where I feel like she SHOULD be going for it more, and it actually holds the song back when she doesn't. 

Anyhow, those are just some preliminary thoughts.  More later once I have taken this in a bit more.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1730 on: April 02, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »
I'm currently listening to EFMB for the first time, and am really liking it. If it retains the quality of the first few songs for the entire album, this may be their best release since Once.

Edit: The final song was rather disappointing, but the album was otherwise really good.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:03:36 PM by Randaran »
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1731 on: April 02, 2015, 09:53:31 PM »
I really didn't know what to expect with EFMB.
I'm a massive NW fan, but not a fanboy that worships all of their material.

After 3 listens, I am pretty much satisfied with the album.
I don't think it will ever scale the heights of Ocean/Oceanborn for me, but it's a pretty safe and solid release.
Interesting to see Marco getting some (multiple) songwriting credits, I don't think I've ever seen anything but TH (I checked Imaginaerum he got one with The Crow).

It's going to take another dozen or so plays before I can rank it with the rest of the NW catalogue.
I'm looking forward to hearing the instrumental and orchestral versions, to hear what's going on behind the vocals.
That way I'll get a lot more insight and appreciation for the music itself.

Hopefully NW will return to Australia for s few gigs this tour and see how this come off live.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: April 03, 2015, 10:59:29 AM »
I think EFMS should have been the single.  Pretty straight forward awesome NW song where Floor sounds good and has a cool instrumental part.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: April 03, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
After a few spins, I feel as though Floor was underutilized, and was too low in the mix, but despite that, there are some moments where she sounds incredible.

I'm digging this album about the same as I dug the last one. About half the songs are keepers, about half the songs are ones that I won't go out of my way to listen to.

But the Greatest Show on Earth..... wow.... I was initially underwhelmed, but man has it grown on me? And absolutely incredible experience and among this band's greatest pieces.

Offline JLa

« Reply #1734 on: April 03, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »
I want to like Nightwish, I really do. Ever since I first heard "Ghost Love Score" (and was like woooooow), I've been interested whenever they've released new stuff. I always end up with the same impression, though. The instrumental/orchestrated parts are awesome, but the vocal parts (and the music behind it) sound too generic "power metal" and uninspiring to me.

So, I gave "Shudder Before The Beautiful" a listen today. The opening, wow. 11/10. Amazing. Then Floor comes in, the band steps back a little, the drummer sound like he could have been replaced by a drum machine, and I'm quickly getting bored. Again. However, Floor's voice suits this music far better than Anette's did.

Not totally convinced this time around either. But those orchestrations ... damn!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1735 on: April 03, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
So, I gave "Shudder Before The Beautiful" a listen today. The opening, wow. 11/10. Amazing. Then Floor comes in, the band steps back a little, the drummer sound like he could have been replaced by a drum machine, and I'm quickly getting bored. Again. However, Floor's voice suits this music far better than Anette's did.

IMO, the album starts and ends with its weakest material.  I would give the rest a listen before forming an opinion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1736 on: April 03, 2015, 05:29:55 PM »
I listened to it 2 times, and first impressions are that it's quite underwhelming, from a songwriting stance. Nothing's really catching with me.

The last 2 tracks are amazing, though. 'Eyes' is a cool instrumental, I can see it being featured in Game of Thrones  :biggrin:
The Greatest Show On Earth is one I've been playing on repeat. Powerful melodies, very cohesive. It's been stuck in my head all week!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: April 03, 2015, 06:24:28 PM »
As a casual Nightwish fan, I had a listen to this new one and it didn't do anything for me at all to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1738 on: April 03, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
Actually my only real issue with EFMB is the lack of Marco's voice.
He is pretty much MIA for the whole album, bar a few lines.
I know it's Floor's show, but his performances since he joined always added something to the NW sound.

Offline 425

« Reply #1739 on: April 03, 2015, 11:12:20 PM »
Here's kind of my lengthy first impression after two listens:

This album kind of reminds me of Dark Passion Play. It has an epic, a couple of different-sounding songs, and a bunch of songs that all have a pretty similar sound to each. I think Endless Forms Most Beautiful is somewhat better from a songwriting standpoint than Dark Passion Play, though.

In my two listens, I've basically felt the album had two parts: Shudder Before the Beautiful through Alpenglow, and the last two songs. I'll talk about each part successively.

The main sequence of songs, tracks 1-9, definitely include a lot of songs with a similar vibe to each other, much like tracks 2-9 on DPP do. Fortunately, the songwriting is pretty good. Shudder Before the Beautiful is an electric opener. I know some people have gotten tired of them opening their shows so often with Dark Chest of Wonders, but in fairness, that song was a dynamite opener. Shudder Before the Beautiful (which is, in fairness, a bit derivative) is right up there in energy. Hopefully they open with it on the tour. Weak Fantasy is another really energetic follow-up that should be great live. As the album goes on, it does get a little tiring due to some of the sameness, but I would argue that each song is good on its own. I'd say Our Decades in the Sun, My Walden and Edema Ruh are highlights. Alpenglow is a really good closer for the first part of the album, kind of like how Last Ride of the Day was a good semi-closer on Imaginaerum. The music is pretty epic and due to that and the lyrics of the song ("Time to rest now and to finish the show / And become the Music, one with alpenglow"), I rather hope that they close with it the same way they closed the Wacken concert with Last Ride. Honestly, as I listened to this album, a lot of what I thought about is how these songs would do live. I think a lot of them will be just fantastic in that setting, especially the first two and Alpenglow.

The last two songs take the album in a whole new direction. The Eyes of the Sharbat Gula is a pretty cool instrumental that is quite different from Nightwish. To me it is a bit reminiscent of Tuomas's solo album, though not in any overtly derivative way. Kind of cool to hear some of that songwriting style in Nightwish. The Greatest Show On Earth is a whole new monster. I'm not sure I can definitively say how much I like it after just two listens, but it's definitely the most ambitious thing that Tuomas has ever written. It's a definite journey that travels through a series of moods and ideas. The intro in particular is fantastic, but the whole thing is an enjoyable experience. I'm just unable to say at this point where it belongs among the other Nightwish epics, because those are among my very favorite songs by the band.

I appreciate the continued presence of the Nightwish-style rhythm section. I suppose Kai Hahto has worked before as Jukka's drum tech? In any case, he does a pretty good Jukka (maybe Jukka helped write the drum parts to an extent as well?), and seems to be a good drummer in his own right (he grooves very well in Weak Fantasy). He works very well alongside Marco to maintain Nightwish's quality rhythm parts. Emppu seems to have a bit more of a presence here than on the last few Nightwish albums as well—he's still mostly understated as is his style in this band, but he does get a cool solo in Shudder.

Vocally, Floor is pretty good. I feel like some people had expectations that were a little too high for what she was doing. Personally, I did not set my expectations with reference to Floor's collected works, but with reference to how Tuomas is writing vocal melodies at this time. He's spent two albums writing for Anette Olzon, and even on Once he was moving towards a less operatic, more straightforward style of vocal melody. Maybe on the next album he'll stretch out a bit more to Floor's capabilities, like he did a bit on The Greatest Show On Earth, but the way Tuomas wrote vocal melodies on this album is pretty much in line with how he has liked to do that since at least 2004. And I think the melodies are pretty good. Anyway, Floor nails it. My standard of how good the female vocals are on this album is that I feel they are an upgrade from Imaginaerum, and I say this for all that I like Anette. Floor is just in another league. She also showcases quite a lot of versatility, in my opinion.

What's most notable, perhaps (and as we saw hinted at times on Showtime, Storytime, like Ghost River), is that she is basically directly challenging Marco over the aggressive parts. Marco was able to push around Anette vocally, but he can't do that with Floor, because she pushes back hard. She's just as powerful as he is, which I think is pretty cool. The downside here is that, as gazinwales said, we get very little Marco singing on this album, which I think is a by-product of Tuomas needing to find a new way to use him that isn't just "give him the aggressive parts that Tarja/Anette can't do." I think we saw the beginnings of that with how well Marco was used for texture at times, singing basically behind Floor, like on the Weak Fantasy chorus. Still, it would have been nice to have at least one Marco-led song, maybe in the vein of The Islander or The Crow, the Owl and the Dove. Hopefully next album Tuomas will figure out a little better how to get more Marco in vocally.

Overall, I can't complain about this album. On 9 songs out of 11, this is the Nightwish album I expected. It doesn't wow me, but all of those songs are pretty good. They're like a (probably) better version of the main sequence of Dark Passion Play. Really maintains Tuomas's generally high quality of songwriting. The last two songs don't contain much that I've never heard before from Tuomas, but they still bring in some innovations. The Greatest Show On Earth flows really well and is at least good enough to consider Nightwish's first foray into the 20+ minute field to be a success.

To wrap up (tl;dr): Endless Forms Most Beautiful is not the burst of creativity that Imaginaerum was. That is a lovely, exciting and diverse album that rises and falls perfectly, never getting boring through its nearly 80 minute duration. EFMB isn't near that in terms of sheer creativity. However, it is a solid entry in the Nightwish discography. The songwriting is quite strong, even in its experiments like in the epic, and the performances are good. Overall, I'm pretty happy, if not overjoyed, with this album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1740 on: April 06, 2015, 02:45:00 AM »
I'm really enjoying the album. I don't think it's the most powerful album in terms of instant impact, but it's one of the more consistent Nightwish records.

The only issue I have with it is the god-awful Richard Dawkins rambling in The Greatest Show On Earth.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1741 on: April 06, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »
I love the spoken word by Dawkins. It really adds a lot to the song.

Offline 425

« Reply #1742 on: April 06, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »
I'm with Zook. And even if you don't think it adds to the song, I don't really see "rambling." It's pretty to-the-point, especially compared to the spoken part of Song of Myself.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: April 06, 2015, 10:05:43 AM »
I actually think the spoken word is a highlight of the album for me and that is something I thought Id never say and I previously disliked all of NWs spoken word used.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: April 06, 2015, 02:35:16 PM »
Yeah I have no problem with the spoken word segments.  They're short and succinct.  I was initially worried about Dawkins, that it might be some controversial dialogue.  The issue I have with TGSOE is the massive amounts of what I consider dead time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
Yeah I have no problem with the spoken word segments.  They're short and succinct.  I was initially worried about Dawkins, that it might be some controversial dialogue.  The issue I have with TGSOE is the massive amounts of what I consider dead time.

Yes, that is my problem as well.  The long intro is pretty nice IMO, but it feels even longer because there is a 6 minutes mostly keyboard driven instrumental before it so it feels like 10 minutes of dead time although I actually enjoy the music itself there, it just feels like it drags a bit.  Then when the band kicks in there are two seperate parts of animal noises and then the really long outro which could be significantly cut.  The song itself is pretty good, but if they shortened it by like 10 minutes, I think it would have been a lot better and easier to swallow.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1746 on: April 06, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »
When I first heard the album, I liked everything except for the epic. Now, even that has grown on me. Sure, it is overly long, but even that works in its favor. Everything after Dawkins' narration is relaxing, allowing the listener to contemplate the overall message of the record. If the album ended on a bombastic note, this reflective quality would have been lost. The record is better off with the ambient ending it currently has.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1747 on: April 07, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
When I first heard the album, I liked everything except for the epic. Now, even that has grown on me. Sure, it is overly long, but even that works in its favor. Everything after Dawkins' narration is relaxing, allowing the listener to contemplate the overall message of the record. If the album ended on a bombastic note, this reflective quality would have been lost. The record is better off with the ambient ending it currently has.

Interesting point you make about the ending and contemplation time.  I'll listen to it today and not forward through, trying to conciously do the "Relax/contemplation" thing :)  See if that works for me.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1748 on: April 07, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »
I just turn off the album right before he starts narrating. I have no desire to hear minutes of narration of an awful poem once again.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1749 on: April 07, 2015, 01:41:08 PM »
I just turn off the album right before he starts narrating. I have no desire to hear minutes of narration of an awful poem once again.

I don't know what the first passage at the end is from, but I'm pretty sure the second one is from Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species as it has the "Endless forms most beautiful" line. Hardly awful. Did you even listen to them before declaring them to be awful?