Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 316559 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1470 on: October 28, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »
I would not bet on that.

Asked if this literature will work itself into his lyrics, or even inspire the next NIGHTWISH album, Tuomas said: "I already know now that since I have been so enthusiastic about this kind of literature for the past few months, and will be for the upcoming months, that it's going to come out somehow. I don't know how just yet, but it will come out. I know it from experience."

He added: "Sometimes I come across interviews I did ten years ago and see that I am quite a different person. So something has happened say during the past five, six, seven years, and a lot of it has to do with the books that I've read, mainly Whitman, Hitchens and Dawkins."
(blabbermouth)

So yeah, there is at least a song going to feature arguments against religion from a scientific and evidence based point of view I think.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1471 on: November 05, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
Eh, I don't know. While as an atheist I agree with some of the core principles of Dawkins' career (evolution is a real thing, there is no God), I can't help but see him as a raging irritating douche because of the way he comes off. Tuomas seems irritating to me in the exact same way, so they're probably a good match :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1472 on: November 05, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
Eh, I don't know. While as an atheist I agree with some of the core principles of Dawkins' career (evolution is a real thing, there is no God), I can't help but see him as a raging irritating douche because of the way he comes off. Tuomas seems irritating to me in the exact same way, so they're probably a good match :lol

I...actually completely agree with that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1473 on: November 11, 2014, 09:04:54 AM »
Nightwish is officially stadium rock now :P

I may go to the Tampere show if the tickets don't sell out immediately. I've seen both NW and COB live once and I don't really listen to either band anymore, but this will definitely be a cool event, and I'm curious to hear how NW sounds with Floor and Kai Hahto.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1474 on: November 11, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
Judging on the DVD and youtube videos, prepare to be amazed. Floor is the best vocalist that's even been with them IMO.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1475 on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
Judging on the DVD and youtube videos, prepare to be amazed. Floor is the best vocalist that's even been with them IMO.

Agreed.  Which is why I hope the new album doesn't suck.  I fell in love with this band for Century Child and Once, but as I explored their back catalog, I discovered a band that is wildly inconsistent, a pattern I found to be further perpetuated when they released Dark Passion Play.  Imaginaerum was VERY good.  But given Tuomas' track record, I have no idea what to expect from the new one.  At the very least, I am sure I will enjoy at least some of the songs on the new one from a musical perspective.  Hopefully, the lyrics or an inconsistency in musical quality do not end up spoiling the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1476 on: November 11, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
On a different but related topic:  As I said many times, DPP was written before the band had decided on hiring Anette.  Hence, it was not written with her voice in mind.  While she does fine on the album, I think it could have been a stronger effort had it been written for her voice and specific skill set.  Imaginaerum was written with her in mind, and it shows.  I feel the album really allows her to shine. 

But that said, since she is no longer in the band, there is a part of me that wishes the band would re-record it with Floor.  The more rational part of me wants them to just leave it alone and avoid disrespecting Anette by re-booting the album with new vocals, but the part of me that recognizes Floor as a superior vocalist would really love to hear the studio tracks with her voice on them.  The live versions on Showtime, Storytime somewhat satiate that desire.  And, honestly, given that we have Showtime, Storytime, I don't see a re-record happening.  But I still can't help wishing that there was one.  Anyone else strongly agree/disagree?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1477 on: November 11, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
On a different but related topic:  As I said many times, DPP was written before the band had decided on hiring Anette.  Hence, it was not written with her voice in mind.  While she does fine on the album, I think it could have been a stronger effort had it been written for her voice and specific skill set.  Imaginaerum was written with her in mind, and it shows.  I feel the album really allows her to shine. 

But that said, since she is no longer in the band, there is a part of me that wishes the band would re-record it with Floor.  The more rational part of me wants them to just leave it alone and avoid disrespecting Anette by re-booting the album with new vocals, but the part of me that recognizes Floor as a superior vocalist would really love to hear the studio tracks with her voice on them.  The live versions on Showtime, Storytime somewhat satiate that desire.  And, honestly, given that we have Showtime, Storytime, I don't see a re-record happening.  But I still can't help wishing that there was one.  Anyone else strongly agree/disagree?

I agree with you, actually. Anette did a good job on Imaginareum, but Floor's live performances generally wipe the floor with what Anette did on the studio version (much like Bruce Dickinson's performances of songs like Phantom of the Opera put the original Dianno version to shame). Then again, I'd also kill to hear them re-record Century Child or Once with Floor too, considering I'm not a big fan of Tarja either. :lol 
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: November 11, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
They should just keep releasing live albums with Floor singing more and more of the back catalogue.  She can clearly sing all the songs so far.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1479 on: November 11, 2014, 11:23:08 AM »
They should just keep releasing live albums with Floor singing more and more of the back catalogue.  She can clearly sing all the songs so far.

I don't think "so far" is even applicable.  She has the skills to sing anything they have ever put out.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1480 on: November 11, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »

I don't think "so far" is even applicable.  She has the skills to sing anything they have ever put out.

Considering she handles the grunts/growlies in ReVamp too, you could change the above as such.

No need to invest the time/money to re-record any past material (Annette or Tarja era) in the studio.  Just keep doing more live releases.  Floor gives us the best of Tarja (operatic and range), and Annette (melodic) and then adds the POWAH!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: November 11, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »

True, didn't mean that as I thought there may be songs she can't somg, just that she has already proven she can on the songs she's performed.  I Do hope they open the catalogue up on the next tour and play more songs that Haven't been played in awhile.

Offline adace

« Reply #1482 on: November 11, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
Dat lineup :hefdaddy

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1483 on: November 11, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »
Listened to Once for the first time today, and was blown away by how good this band is without being too cheesy. Cool stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: November 11, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
Listened to Once for the first time today, and was blown away by how good this band is without being too cheesy. Cool stuff.

Once is good; Century Child is the best them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1485 on: November 11, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »

Once is good; Century Child is the best them.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one.  They are neck-and-neck for best album in my opinion.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1486 on: November 11, 2014, 05:24:02 PM »
I still say Imaginaerum is better than both, and by that I mean it's more consistant. Once and Century Child have a few duds, while Imaginaerum has none.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1487 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:50 PM »
I still say Imaginaerum is better than both, and by that I mean it's more consistant. Once and Century Child have a few duds, while Imaginaerum has none.

To each their own. I think that Century Child is just about a perfect album with all good to great songs (with Beauty of the Beast being the best thing the band has ever done).  Meanwhile, I only like about half the songs on Imaginaerum.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1488 on: November 11, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Imaginaerum I did not like at all, then I listened to the instrumental version and loved it.
So it was AO voice that didn't click for me, but I did like her on DPP.
But I saw her a few times live and really she could not cut it on (most of) the Tarja era material.

The 2 most consistent and the albums I always come back to are, Oceanborn and Once.
Those are my 2 Nightwish masterpieces, that will never be bettered IMO.

That said I am really looking forward to hearing Floor sing on the new album.
I'm still sitting on the fence with her  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: November 11, 2014, 07:05:12 PM »

To each their own. I think that Century Child is just about a perfect album with all good to great songs (with Beauty of the Beast being the best thing the band has ever done).  Meanwhile, I only like about half the songs on Imaginaerum.

This exactly. Every word.

Offline 425

« Reply #1490 on: November 11, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »

I agree. Century Child to me is the more consistent of the two and pretty close to Imaginaerum, but I think Imaginaerum is the most consistent album they've put out. And it really is just because End of All Hope, Slaying the Dreamer and The Phantom of the Opera aren't exactly my favorites. Beauty of the Beast, Ever Dream, Bless the Child and others are all spectacular.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1491 on: November 11, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »
Anyone else strongly agree/disagree?
I don't think the presence of Floor will be enough to make up for the major shortcomings of DPP namely, the songwriting, which is just weak. I'd personally rather see them focus on new material as opposed to polishing a fairly mediocre album. I mean, even if I think it's kinda weak, it's not so bad that it's desperately calling out to be redone and Annette is pretty good on it (blasphemy, yes I know).

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1492 on: November 11, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
Beauty of the Beast is cool and all, but doesn't compare to Ghost Love Score. That song is Nightwish's masterpiece.

Offline 425

« Reply #1493 on: November 11, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »
I would agree that Ghost Love Score is the best Nightwish song (though Song of Myself would have a serious case if the poem part—which I don't entirely hate, just don't entirely love—didn't drag it down). But Beauty of the Beast is seriously amazing as well.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1494 on: November 11, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »
I just watched the Imagiaerum movie, for the first 20 odd minutes, I had no idea what was going on.
But after a while it started to make sense, the music sounds great and mixes well with the action.
I wasn't sure what I was getting, but ended up really enjoying it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: November 12, 2014, 07:48:30 AM »
Beauty of the Beast is cool and all, but doesn't compare to Ghost Love Score. That song is Nightwish's masterpiece.

I like Beauty of the Beast more, my favorite NW song.  Ever Dream may be my #2 song, but Century Child is actually #3 on my list.  I love Once and Wishmaster a bit more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1496 on: November 12, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »
...And it really is just because End of All Hope, Slaying the Dreamer and The Phantom of the Opera aren't exactly my favorites.

Okay, well since those are the top 3 on the album for me, we are definitely not a match.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: November 16, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
I don't believe Update 7 has been posted as yet , so.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LxuJGioqVxI
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #1498 on: November 16, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »
Colour me excited  :laugh:
May The Force Be With You.

Offline 425

« Reply #1499 on: November 17, 2014, 10:24:20 AM »
...And it really is just because End of All Hope, Slaying the Dreamer and The Phantom of the Opera aren't exactly my favorites.

Okay, well since those are the top 3 on the album for me, we are definitely not a match.  :lol

Wow, how did that happen? :lol I mean, I don't dislike any of them, but for me they're not at the godly level of the rest of Century Child.

Anyway, came in here to post this:
And if spirit's a sign,

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: November 17, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
Is Find the Origin the new album title?  I saw that on facebook but never saw an announcement on the album title.

Offline 425

« Reply #1501 on: November 17, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »
It says in the description of the picture I just posted that they will announce the album title at (or around, I'm assuming) Christmas. I would assume it's somehow related, though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1502 on: November 17, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
Seeing the words "find the origin" and the picture of the fossil confirm that this is largely gonna be about evolution. at least that accounts for no more dead boy poets :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline 425

« Reply #1503 on: November 18, 2014, 04:50:13 AM »
Yeah, that was my thought as well: this more likely than not represents a rather significant shift in lyrical direction for Tuomas.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1504 on: November 18, 2014, 05:53:06 AM »
Yeah, that was my thought as well: this more likely than not represents a rather significant shift in lyrical direction for Tuomas.

No kidding. Kinda ironic that he seems to have made such a shift in that direction, as my biggest concern with the upcoming album had previously been whether or not the lyrics would be anything decent. I mean it's still a possibility that Tuomas might not be able to write such lyrics with proper tact and what-not, but despite my personal hesitancy on Richard Dawkins' involvement, I'm interested in seeing if Tuomas can pull this change off.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.