Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 316903 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1435 on: September 11, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »
Yea I agree on that. I think he will have alot of influence on how the drums will be produced, he may even sit in during the drum recording sessions and give feedback to Kai.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1436 on: September 11, 2014, 11:42:59 PM »
It's definitely cool for Jukka to do that, but at the same time Kai is one of my absolute favourite drummers and I'd love to hear him interpret the songs his own way.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1437 on: September 13, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
First US show announced.....  Los Angeles!!  5/1/15   :metal :metal :metal  I'll be there!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1438 on: September 23, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
And booyah!

Definitely hitting Toronto.  The Phoenix Concert Theater is such an awesome venue.  Saw Floor there with ReVamp. 

Will do what I can to hit San Fran too.  Phoenix is out, since it's a weekend.

Edit - Mother of God, Ticketbastard is advertising the show in Spokane with Sabaton as well.  That would rawk if it was the whole tour!!  :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1439 on: September 23, 2014, 09:09:39 AM »
What the shit? Vancouver, Portland, and Spokane?! Those are the options for us Seattleites?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: September 23, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
Nice, first show in NYC and with Delain so I'm pumped for this. Hammerstein is where DT last played too which I liked.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: September 23, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
Yikes!!!  $185 for the Meet/Greet in Toronto.  Seeing as how it's really only Floor I'd want to meet, and I got that under my belt when she was here with ReVamp, I'll save $140 and just get GA tix.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1442 on: September 23, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
Looks like I'm taking a trip to Denver.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #1443 on: September 23, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Kai Hahto shared the photo on Facebook and said "North-America!Nice to see you again!!"

I guess he'll be joining them on tour then.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1444 on: September 29, 2014, 01:58:59 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: October 01, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On9V0QBoFW4

Newest video from the studio.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1446 on: October 17, 2014, 12:24:02 PM »
Ok this I did not expect:

Love Dawkins though!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1447 on: October 17, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
Who is that?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1448 on: October 17, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
Richard Dawkins

You wouldn't like him. :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1449 on: October 17, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »
???  Why is he on a Nightwish album?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #1450 on: October 17, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
That one surprised me too. Hopefully they don't alienate religious fans too much (to be clearer, Richard Dawkins is a biology professor known for his rather aggressive atheism).

I imagine he'll have some type of spoken word part. Who knows what it could be though.

Another pertinent question: Why isn't Floor in that picture?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1451 on: October 17, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »
That one surprised me too. Hopefully they don't alienate religious fans too much (to be clearer, Richard Dawkins is a biology professor known for his rather aggressive atheism).

Yeah, that could be a major turnoff.  If he is spouting his nonsense, I know I for one won't be interested in buying the album.

Another pertinent question: Why isn't Floor in that picture?

I wouldn't read too much into that.  Marco isn't there either.

Offline 425

« Reply #1452 on: October 17, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »
Yeah, that could be a major turnoff.  If he is spouting his nonsense, I know I for one won't be interested in buying the album.

As an atheist though non-Dawkins fan myself, it probably wouldn't bother me, but I would definitely understand why it would completely turn some people off. Which is why I wonder what they're going for there.

I wouldn't read too much into that.  Marco isn't there either.

True. Disregard, then.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1453 on: October 17, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
I'm fine with spoken word as long as it doesn't suck like on Song of Myself, but frankly any anti-religious (or religious, for that matter) diatribe in a song seems like a poor decision to me.

Also I could have sworn I heard about this Dawkins dude dying. I guess it was someone else with a similar name? This is gonna bother me all day.

Offline 425

« Reply #1454 on: October 17, 2014, 02:02:50 PM »
Christopher Hitchens died about a year ago. He was also an outspoken atheist.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1455 on: October 17, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »
Ah, ok, that was probably it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1456 on: October 17, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »
I really enjoy hearing Dawkins debate and have nothing against him but I was very surprised to hear him joining NW in studio. Very interested to see where this is going.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1457 on: October 17, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »

Except it's not nonsense.

Besides, there might be a song about Evolution or something as he's a biologist, and not just an anti-religious evil doer.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1458 on: October 17, 2014, 06:26:30 PM »

Besides, there might be a song about Evolution or something as he's a biologist, and not just an anti-religious evil doer.
Except people nowadays don't tend to hate Dawkins for his atheism but because he exchanged evolutionary biology for a career in grade A shitbaggery. Obviously bosk would dislike him for being really over the top in criticizing religious people, but even atheists (I know I do) tend to dislike him for the same reason - he's mostly shitting on people, not ideas. Add the eugenics-flirting and the gross islamophobia and, well.

Besides, the irony of him referring to religious people as thumb-sucking morons while his most devout fans spout off every argument he says in his exact words and worship him like a divinity shouldn't get lost on you, and if it does, drop by your local atheist group for an earful. He's not a bad writer, but I'd prefer reading someone else.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1459 on: October 17, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
Well, a Dawkins evolution rant is certainly more interesting to me than a torn soul story of Tuomas. Let's see were this leads to.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1460 on: October 17, 2014, 08:18:44 PM »

Except people nowadays don't tend to hate Dawkins for his atheism but because he exchanged evolutionary biology for a career in grade A shitbaggery. Obviously bosk would dislike him for being really over the top in criticizing religious people, but even atheists (I know I do) tend to dislike him for the same reason - he's mostly shitting on people, not ideas. Add the eugenics-flirting and the gross islamophobia and, well.

Besides, the irony of him referring to religious people as thumb-sucking morons while his most devout fans spout off every argument he says in his exact words and worship him like a divinity shouldn't get lost on you, and if it does, drop by your local atheist group for an earful. He's not a bad writer, but I'd prefer reading someone else.

Obviously this isn't a thread for Dawkins debate, and I suck at debating anyway, and although I agree he's VERY blunt, he's not afraid to say those things, and if that makes him a douchebag, I'm right there with him. I'm sure not a lot of people will argue that one. I have more respect to keep my mouth shut (some of the time here, most of the time in public), but I agree with pretty much everything he says. I know Neil DeGrasse Tyson doesn't like the way Dawkins operates, but they're basically on the same page. Neil is the respectable version of Dawkins.

Doing a quick search for eugenics tells me it's the idea of weeding out shitting traits. It might be comparable to what Hitler wanted to do, but I don't believe, and I think it's absurd if anyone did that Dawkins in anyway wants to mass murder every flawed human and create perfect beings.

I've read (listened to) both The God Delusion and The Greatest Show on Earth, and I just don't see how his points can be refuted.

Oh, and Nightwish and stuff.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1461 on: October 18, 2014, 02:00:26 AM »
Tuomas was raised in a religious family and I doubt he wants to upset his mom with any kind of Atheist messages in his music. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: October 18, 2014, 06:33:01 AM »
*posts*

Holy fuck gurl?!?!?  Where the hell ya been?  Nice to see ya here.

Offline 425

« Reply #1463 on: October 18, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
Does anyone, knowing Nightwish and what Tuomas writes about, actually expect Dawkins to be talking about the superiority of evolution to creationism or something? I would generally say to avoid jumping to conclusions about what Dawkins is going to say until we have more information than a couple of pictures. It could be that they asked him to read a fairly non-controversial passage from one of his books or something.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:59 AM »
Yeah, IF..he goes on a tirade about "Moronic worshipers"  and there's not some kind of balance, as we have with DT's The Great Debate, then I'll be a bit turned off.  I'm not a huge fan of any material that is steeped in politics or religion.  That "Anti-religious/politics" theme has turned me off to bands like Epica, and drove me away from Pearl Jam, and a bit from Pain of Salvation because of Daniel.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1465 on: October 28, 2014, 08:42:17 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1466 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:23 AM »
Does anyone, knowing Nightwish and what Tuomas writes about, actually expect Dawkins to be talking about the superiority of evolution to creationism or something?

Um...yes.  That is all Dawkins talks about.  And if they wanted Dawkins to be talking about something completely different, then there would be no need to have Dawkins at all.  They could have (and likely would have) gotten somebody else.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1467 on: October 28, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »
I hope Dawkins does go on an anti-religious tiraid, but at the same time, a song about evolution would be kinda lame. We'll see. Dream Theater made a song about stem cell research sound cool, so you never know.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: October 28, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
And if they wanted Dawkins to be talking about something completely different, then there would be no need to have Dawkins at all. 

Not necessarily true. Maybe they just want the voice, and not the person behind it. I have never heard him speak, but he could (though doubtfully) have a Godlike Morgan Freeman type voice. Or a quirky Christopher Walken type voice. Again, not likely, but possible.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1469 on: October 28, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
And if they wanted Dawkins to be talking about something completely different, then there would be no need to have Dawkins at all. 

Not necessarily true. Maybe they just want the voice, and not the person behind it. I have never heard him speak, but he could (though doubtfully) have a Godlike Morgan Freeman type voice. Or a quirky Christopher Walken type voice. Again, not likely, but possible.

Actually he has a very dainty British voice.