Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 312603 times)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
Nightwish...
« on: December 09, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »
Just discovered this band and hell... it's AWESOME.
The high pitch vocal is fine with me since I listen to DT.
It's mainly symphonic gothic metal but it still has some progressive parts.
I've only listened to the album Oceanborn, and my favorites are...

1. Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean
2. Gethsemane
3. Stargazers
4. The Riddler

Anyone knows their better songs than these? Please share.  :hat
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:47:49 AM »
I love Dark Passion Play

That is all.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »
Tarja >>>>>>>>>>> Annette

*leaves thread*
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
I have Century Child which I really like.  I very much like the male vocalist on a few tracks. Beauty of the Beast may be my favorite song.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »
I got into Nightwish back when I was 13, and it was pure win then. Sure I don't listen to them much now, but they are great at what they do.

And yes, tarja >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Annette :(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:14:22 AM »
A certain forum member here thinks Oceanborn is their best work, but I will have to disagree.  To me, they were still finding their sound back then.   To me, Century Child and Once are their best ablums by far.  Both of these albums rank very highly in my overall "best of all-time" album lists.

A few live tracks:

Dark Chest of Wonders

Slaying the Dreamer

Phantom of the Opera

Wishmaster

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:15:44 AM »
Anette >>>>>> Tarja

Which is why I only own Dark Passion Play, really good album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
And Nick starts off the day with 9 fail points.  (He got a perfect 10 on the fail meter, but since he is the only one in the thread so far who spelled Anette's name corretly, I took one away)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 09:24:15 AM »
And Nick starts off the day with 9 fail points.  (He got a perfect 10 on the fail meter, but since he is the only one in the thread so far who spelled Anette's name corretly, I took one away)

I have to defend Nick here. Not just because I like Anette better as a singer, but it's when Nightwish started writing real music instead of power metal so outrageous that even Michael Romeo once said "Nightwish should tone it down a little bit, their music is just silly and over the top."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:38:14 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
I think Planet Hell is the first song that I heard from them and that was pretty much all that I needed to get hooked. End of an Era DVD is fantastical.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
And Nick starts off the day with 9 fail points.  (He got a perfect 10 on the fail meter, but since he is the only one in the thread so far who spelled Anette's name corretly, I took one away)

I have to defend Nick here. Not just because I like Anette better as a singer, but it's when Nightwish started writing real music instead of power metal so outrageous that even Michael Romeo once said "Nightwish should tone it down a little bit, their music is just silly and over the top."

:lol

Speaking of Michael Romeo...

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »
Oh, wow, he's really slimming down lately.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »
While Tarja is definately a better singer technically, I think that Anette fits in with the rest of the band just fine. Plus I like their newer direction a lot more than their previous style.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
I'll second this.

...and Ghost Love Score not mentioned in the first ten posts makes me sad. :'(  I do love this group so much, but in Anette's defense Dark Passion Play turn out better than My Winter Storm.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 11:15:46 AM »
I don't dislike Anette.  I just don't find anything unique or special about her voice or vocal abilities.  But in all fairness, she joined after all the material for Dark Passion Play had already been written.  Granted, Tuomas will always dominate the writing process, so she will likely still have limited input going forward.  But I am anxious to see what they come up with on the next album knowing that it will be written for her voice and style.  I am expecting that she will be able to shine more on the next album.  Plus, on this last album and tour, it just felt to me like it was more about Tarja not being in the band than about Anette being in the band, whether it was all the Tarja/Marcelo bashing in the lyrics on DPP or Anette trying to sing the Tarja material live.  Now that, hopefully, the band have had ample time to move on, the next album can focus on where Nightwish is as a band now.

And, yes, Ghost Love Score is a fantastic song.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »
Tarja >>>>>>>>>>> Annette

*leaves thread*
Both are great in their own way. I feel Annette's vocal style suits the music slightly better, but Tarja had more character.

Century Child, Once and Dark Passion Play are all very good albums. The rest are ok but I don't find them that interesting really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »
Wait, I can see Oceanborn and Wishmaster as excessively Power Metal-ish, but wouldn’t think of Century Child and Once that way. I like all their Tarja-albums fairly equally, but like Bosk1 prefer CC and Once, as they do sound more complete and well-rounded (I hate being non-musical and unable to describe my thoughts better).

I like Anette’s voice well enough, and she does a great job on songs like ‘Amaranth’, but overall I feel DPP is a little too heavy, and I don’t like Marco’s vocals like I do on earlier albums. He provided such a nice counterpoint to Tarja, (listen to ‘Wish I had an Angel’).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 11:37:42 AM »
From what I understand, Tarja was more interested in the money stuff and she just shows up in the studio for recording her vocals (without getting involve in the writing process, not even with the lyrics). People tend to think that Nightwish was Tarja's band but like bosk pointed out; Tuomas is the creative force of this band. However, Tarja is definetly a more talented singer IMO.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 12:13:10 PM »
Dark Passion Play is awesome!  I have a lot of the older stuff, but it is hit and miss for me because of the vocals

Offline Basekick

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »
Ha, Nightwish...

The only reason I know em is because of ytmnd.com.  You see, they had a meme of "EPIC" sites, and the theme for them was the breakdown in Ghost Love Score.  Here's an example:

https://epicgeordi.ytmnd.com/

Cool band, I'm not a huge fan, but they definitely have their moments of awesomeness.  The chorus of Romanticide is one of them.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline faemir

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »
Anette is just a good, standard pop singer, while Tarja had one hell of a voice.

And that whole "she's in it for the money" thing was always eyebrow raising for me, hell, Tarja denied it, and when Tuomas almost quit the band she was really supportive to him (they were school mates)... I dunno the whole incident seemed to be a big shame.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
I read up a lot on what happened, since I was just discoverying the band just after they parted ways.  I read just about everything the band, Tarja, and even Marcelo had to say on the subject.  My take on it is that the relationship deteriorated as a result of the band, Tarja, Marcelo, and management, who seems to have actively fanned the flames.  There is plenty of blame to be shared by all.  When you get to the place where the band's existence is threatened, Tuomas simply cannot deal with either Tarja or Marcelo on the most basic of decisions, Tarja and Marcelo feel as though their marriage is threatened, Tarja has announced that she is only staying on for one more album after that one and leaving anyway, and management is fanning the flames, I just can't see how you don't have to part ways at that point in time.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
From what I understand, Tarja was more interested in the money stuff and she just shows up in the studio for recording her vocals (without getting involve in the writing process, not even with the lyrics).

I don't know about just in it for the money, but even on her solo album most of the songs were written by others.  That doesn't diminish her vocal talent though; her version of Alice Cooper's song "Poison" is awesome, it almost feels as if the song should be sung by a woman.

If you like Oceanborne, try Century Child next, or if you might want to consider getting the DVD "From Wishes to Eternity"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
...you might want to consider getting the DVD "From Wishes to Eternity"

Only if they are sold out of End of an Era and you can't find the Lowlands 2005 bootleg.  :biggrin:

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
If you liked Oceanborn, you definitely need to hear Once, Wishmaster, and Dark Passion Play.

Offline faemir

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
If you liked Oceanborn, you definitely need to hear Once, Wishmaster, and Dark Passion Play.

So what, everything but the debut? :lol

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »
No, I also didn't mention Century Child, mostly because I haven't heard either of those albums :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 07:09:54 PM »
I agree with bosk about the band being at it's best during Once... I really dislike Oceanborn.  DPP is pretty good, though. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »
Ghost Love Score is my favorite Nightwish song. So beautifully epic.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 07:57:25 PM »
Ghost Love Score is my favorite Nightwish song. So beautifully epic.

That song is indeed incredible.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »

Only if they are sold out of End of an Era and you can't find the Lowlands 2005 bootleg.  :biggrin:

I'll have to take your word on End of an Era being better, I really dodn't feel the need to get another Nightwish DVD, one seemed like enough for a band that while I enjoy, I don't listen to that often in the whole scheme of things.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 02:13:39 AM »
The cover of High Hopes from End of an Era is infuckingcredible.
caw caw

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »

I'll have to take your word on End of an Era being better, I really dodn't feel the need to get another Nightwish DVD, one seemed like enough for a band that while I enjoy, I don't listen to that often in the whole scheme of things.

Yeah, I mean if you don't listen to them much, don't bother.  But if you like them, it is a very good performance (despite Tarja being a little bit off the first couple of songs; she and Marco were apparently very ill and both had lost their voices before the show), has an awesome song selection, and is just an epic concert.  And knowing after the fact that Tarja was being handed her walking papers backstage after the show, the outro credits and the words up on screen just give me the chills.

I have to say, they've done a fair amount of covers from a pretty diverse selection of music, and without fail, they have ALL been excellent.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:54 PM »
Yeah, I mean if you don't listen to them much, don't bother.  But if you like them, it is a very good performance (despite Tarja being a little bit off the first couple of songs; she and Marco were apparently very ill and both had lost their voices before the show), has an awesome song selection, and is just an epic concert.  And knowing after the fact that Tarja was being handed her walking papers backstage after the show, the outro credits and the words up on screen just give me the chills.

As great as the show is, with solid performances and an awesome setlist, it isn’t one of my favorite concerts in terms of the visual presentation. I can’t put my finger on why though. And yes, when the band took their bows, I thought ‘whoa, this was literally the last day these 5 would exist as Nightwish, and only 4 of them are aware of it!’

I have to say, they've done a fair amount of covers from a pretty diverse selection of music, and without fail, they have ALL been excellent.

I love ‘High Hopes’ (I listed it as #1 in my PF Top 20) and like what they did with the song. Faithful recreations usually bore me, I like when a band puts their own stamp on a song while not totally bastardizing it. Curiously no other covers are coming to my mind(?)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 01:37:21 PM »
Curiously no other covers are coming to my mind(?)

Really?  There are two others on End of an Era alone:

Phantom of the Opera:  Andrew Lloyd Webber
Over the Hills and Far Away:  Gary Moore

I don't recall whether any of their others are on official releases, but I know they've done a few more, such as Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction (with Marco doing all the lead vocals).