Author Topic: Paradise Lost  (Read 16993 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Paradise Lost
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »
You might have noticed recently I really got into the band recently. Since my posts regarding them never get any reaction, I thought it means nobody knows them and it's worth starting a thread about them ;)

They're considered basically the "fathers" of gothic metal, but have gone through several phases in their discography (they started as a death/doom metal band, then gothic metal for a long time - the heavy kind of gothic - and then there was a lighter phase, the climax of which was the controversial "Host" album, with heavy Depeche Mode influences... I think you get the picture), recently returning to their gothic metal style, but in a new way. The previous album, In Requiem, was quite well-received and it was also my introduction into the band - I re-discovered it recently and even wrote a review (in the reviews section, if you're interested). Now, they have released a new album, called "Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us", which is one of the most monumental records I've had a chance to hear, and close to my album of the year.

This is a bit of a short introduction, I think there's no point saying more. If you're into quite heavy, darker and more atmospheric metal, you should give a try to the last two albums. Two songs which, I believe, represent them pretty well - both have an official video:
Praise Lamented Shade - from "In Requiem", represents what I'd call their "epic side" - slower, more monumental. I think I don't know anyone who wouldn't like this song. The video is basically a live video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMxZfDacPzg
The Rise of Denial - one of my favourites from "Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us". More straightforward, faster and heavier - but the middle section solo is the definition of Greg Mackintosh's guitar style, and one of the most amazing I've heard. If you're the type for melodic solos like me... I think you're going to like it. The video is quite unusual, I like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHXOWwqwPDo

Well, I think the music will speak better than I can. I still need to discover their earlier discography, so I'm no expert. ;) Give them a try, the band is really worth it.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Paradise Lost
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »
Wanting to check them out for a while now. Especially since I've see them compared to early Anathema a couple of times.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 04:31:58 PM »
They started at exactly the same time as Anathema and My Dying Bride. All three started as death/doom, but a few years later each one went in a different direction (Anathema became more progressive/atmospheric, My Dying Bride remained doom, Paradise Lost - well, you see above).

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
The definitive doom band for me...they're from Yorkshire, they know the score.

Great band, their new album is up there with their very best, and good live too.
Just ignore the dodgy patch they had in the middle!

Nick Holmes (the singer) is a legend as well.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »
:symphonyx:?
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »

Great band, their new album is up there with their very best, and good live too.

Actually I'm getting really curious about the middle era. No Celebration and Say Just Words sounded really great to me live - both when I saw them myself on Wednesday and on the Anatomy of Melancholy live album, I need to check how they sound on the album. So Much is Lost from Host was actually a shock at first, but five minutes after listening I caught myself singing the chorus. :P I've heard many metal fans complain about the middle era, but after I try some of the earlier albums I'm really curious about it. I'm fine with a completely different style as long as it's good enough, and I believe they're a band capable of handling it.

Agreed, excellent vocalist. I've heard people complain about his life performance but he did really well, both on the softer songs and the heavier ones from the new album.

:symphonyx:?
Yep, they're just as good as a decent pizza :biggrin:

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »

Actually I'm getting really curious about the middle era. No Celebration and Say Just Words sounded really great to me live - both when I saw them myself on Wednesday and on the Anatomy of Melancholy live album, I need to check how they sound on the album. So Much is Lost from Host was actually a shock at first, but five minutes after listening I caught myself singing the chorus. :P I've heard many metal fans complain about the middle era, but after I try some of the earlier albums I'm really curious about it. I'm fine with a completely different style as long as it's good enough, and I believe they're a band capable of handling it.

Agreed, excellent vocalist. I've heard people complain about his life performance but he did really well, both on the softer songs and the heavier ones from the new album.

They came up with some great songs during the 'middle period' but the albums just weren't as consistent.

I meant he was a legend in terms of being a top bloke tbh...I wouldnae say his singing is the band's greatest aspect although it is good enough live
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 03:52:47 PM »
I drifted during the dodgy patch and never really got back into them. I got into MDB a lot but haven't bought an album for 4-5 years. Anathema I lost after the album with the ghost on the front - got the impression they were just trying to crack the mainstream pop-rock market. Compared to albums like The Silent Enigma and Judgement it didn't seem that epic.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:03:18 AM »
I drifted during the dodgy patch and never really got back into them. I got into MDB a lot but haven't bought an album for 4-5 years. Anathema I lost after the album with the ghost on the front - got the impression they were just trying to crack the mainstream pop-rock market. Compared to albums like The Silent Enigma and Judgement it didn't seem that epic.
The album with 'the ghost' was before Judgement. If you're talking about the album I think you're talking about :p.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »
It also seems to me like the only "ghost" album is Alternative 4.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
The album with 'the ghost' was before Judgement. If you're talking about the album I think you're talking about :p.
Sorry I meant Eternity, Judgement was the album I didn't get nor A fine Day to Exit which seemd like pop music from what I heard. Also, I think they started out a bit later than Paradise Lost. Surprised they've only released one album in 6 years.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
I wouldnae describe any of Anathema's music as 'pop', it's alt rock clearly. You wouldnae hear it getting played on the radio...
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »
Sorry I meant Eternity, Judgement was the album I didn't get nor A fine Day to Exit which seemd like pop music from what I heard. Also, I think they started out a bit later than Paradise Lost. Surprised they've only released one album in 6 years.
Judgement and Alternative 4 are amazing albums, my favorites. Not doom metal anymore, but certainly worth checking out.

And indeed, they have to hurry up with a new album...

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
Been listening to Anathema's Eternity again and have to say what an amazing album I've found it. The instrumental at the start and Angelica, the Pink Floyd cover for starters. I'm thinking of buying the later albums after all and have another look at them- can't even remember seeing "A Natural Disaster" anywhere.

Great album cover. "Do you think we're forever"

P.S. "Atmospheric rock" (wiki) puts me off though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:22:58 PM by AndyDT »

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
Big Fan, but is was during their middle period that really got me hooked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ORCb1JQ3s
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »
I've heard some pretty negative opinions about the middle period from some people I know, but looking at the songs they played live and also on the Anatomy of Melancholy live album, it sounds just as interesting as the early period to me. I thought it could be just that it sounds better live, but I searched for the album versions on youtube and they sound equally good.

One Second is a very good song indeed, it was very enjoyable live. :) From the same album Say Just Words was also excellent, though.

Now, I've ended "official" (that is, on vinyl... now I'll listen on PC, I guess) listening of Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us after three weeks I think. I have two other new albums I'm very curious about, and then I want to try Gothic. :)

Been listening to Anathema's Eternity again and have to say what an amazing album I've found it. The instrumental at the start and Angelica, the Pink Floyd cover for starters. I'm thinking of buying the later albums after all and have another look at them- can't even remember seeing "A Natural Disaster" anywhere.
A Natural Disaster can definitely be described as "atmospheric rock" but it's far from being "mainstream" in any way. It's a pretty melancholic album and a very good one, I enjoyed it a lot. And the closing track, Violence, is one of the most incredible instrumental songs I've ever heard.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »
I've heard some pretty negative opinions about the middle period from some people I know, but looking at the songs they played live and also on the Anatomy of Melancholy live album, it sounds just as interesting as the early period to me. I thought it could be just that it sounds better live, but I searched for the album versions on youtube and they sound equally good.

One Second is a very good song indeed, it was very enjoyable live. :) From the same album Say Just Words was also excellent, though.

Now, I've ended "official" (that is, on vinyl... now I'll listen on PC, I guess) listening of Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us after three weeks I think. I have two other new albums I'm very curious about, and then I want to try Gothic. :)

A Natural Disaster can definitely be described as "atmospheric rock" but it's far from being "mainstream" in any way. It's a pretty melancholic album and a very good one, I enjoyed it a lot. And the closing track, Violence, is one of the most incredible instrumental songs I've ever heard.

The Middle period when they branched out into other forms (electronica/ Depeche Mode vibe) got them alot of newer fans but also alienated alot of the early gloom/gothic fans
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »
I know, I've noticed that. "Host" seems to be easily the most experimental one, and listening to "So Much is Lost" was indeed a shock at first, but like I wrote above, I caught myself singing the chorus a few minutes later. :lol I generally have a lot of respect for bands who experiment with their style because they want to, and even more if the experiments are good. It seems in their case it's true. And they can combine it pretty well live, I did not feel a huge "wtf?" contrast when they played "Pity The Sadness" from "Shades of God" and then next was "Erased" from "Symbol of Life".

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 06:49:06 AM »

Have they completely dropped metal now?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 02:55:19 PM »
On "A Natural Disaster" there's only one song which I could call metal, called "Pulled Under at 2000 Metres a Second". The others are mostly much lighter. They're recording a new album that will probably released next year, not sure if it will follow this direction or maybe they'll return to heavier playing like Paradise Lost. As long as it's something really new and really good, I'm fine with it. ;)

Though I saw them live in November 2008 and they played songs from their whole discography - some from the last album, and even one ("Sleepless" IIRC) from Serenades. Some of the new songs (e.g. "Closer") also sounded far heavier than on the album. So they might change their style on the albums, but they definitely haven't abandoned metal overall.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
It's good they play their early stuff live but I hope they go back to something heavier. That 2000metres song does sound good with the epic chords more like the Silent Enigma, Eternity sound.

I was really pleased PL returned to metal. God knows what the heck went on that they wanted to turn into Depeche Mode? I could never understand that.  Calling their "return" album the same as the first album "Paradise Lost" was pretty clever way of saying this it seemed.

By the way, My Dying Bride had a weird period where they neither did real singing or growling. Check out "The Angel and the Dark River". "The Cry of Mankind" is a great example. Massively epic riff in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQJUUDsfRek
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:33:11 PM by AndyDT »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »
I've been a PL fan since the 'Icon' days.
For me their best period was the Icon/Draconian Times/One Second period.
I saw them live on the DT tour, and were very good.

Host was originally supposed to be a side project and not a PL album.
There is a very good live dvd bootleg from the Host tour, a festival appearance and
those wimpy electronic songs really come to life onstage with some guitars.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 07:46:31 AM »
Yeah the songs from that era really come to life live...if only they'd recorded them like that
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »
I only know "So Much Is Lost" from Anatomy of Melancholy and it really sounds great. However, the original version also intrigued me...

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 02:50:59 PM »
I own their album "Draconian Times." Pretty cool stuff. It's been a while since I've given it a thorough listen, though. I've heard some songs off their self-titled album and "Paradise Lost." It's all pretty cool. They're a good band overall. For the record, Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus are the definitive Doom/Gothic metal bands in my book ;)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 03:56:36 AM »
Bump.

I have Icon, Draconian Times, In Requiem and Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us. All of them are great!  :metal

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 04:33:44 AM »
My... Paradise... Lost... thread... got... resurrected...

[dies happy]

From albums I know I can also recommend Symbol of Life. It's still in the electronic era, but it's quite heavy, and really dark and catchy at the same time. It's just addictive.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »
Bump again.

This is old news already but PL are going to play Draconian Times in its entirety on the upcoming tour. Funny how almost every band is playing whole albums live now! :lol PL has probably changed more over the years than any other band I know. I was a bit shocked when I heard So Much Is Lost for the first time! Funny to think that the same band that's written songs like Gothic, As I Die and Embers Fire, recorded Host and Believe in Nothing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »
This band has been on my "to get" list forever. Unfortunately, when I'm on a budget buying new music almost always takes priority over getting old stuff  ;D

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 12:01:19 PM »
I'm annoyed PL are playing DT in full. It's an overrated record and I'd be bored by the second half of it live for sure.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:24 AM »
I gotta agree that the second half of DT has mostly fillers. After Yearn for Change, there aren't great songs. The first half is excellent, though. Draconian Times is my least fave out of the 4 PL albums I have (Icon, DT, IR, FDUDUU).

EDIT: Nick Holmes is one of the funniest frontmen I know (along with Mikael Åkerfeldt)! At one gig he said "There were too many songs about death tonight, so this song is about flowers and sunshine. It's called "As I Die" :rollin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:53:41 AM by ? »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »
I love the song, but the album as a whole is pretty meh.

Oh wait, this is not about Symphony X's album? :jamaritard:
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
I love the song, but the album as a whole is pretty meh.

Oh wait, this is not about Symphony X's album? :jamaritard:

You are a bad person.

......But I thought the same thing :D

Seriously though, I've heard good things about the band, I'll have to check out those links soon.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
I bought One Second last Thursday. It's actually quite good, despite being poppy! I think my PL album ranking would be this:

Icon / Draconian Times / In Requiem / Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us (the order of these 4 varies, they're all great)
Symbol of Life
One Second
Shades of God (a quite solid album, but some songs have too many riffs)
Gothic (the production makes some songs sound funny, although they are meant to be serious)
Paradise Lost (too many fillers)

I haven't heard Lost Paradise, Host and Believe in Nothing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »
Faith Divides Us is the only album i've heard in full, but its great.