Author Topic: Paradise Lost  (Read 16984 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Paradise Lost
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2014, 02:33:53 AM »
I find it pretty tough to rank the whole discography, but Draconian Times and Host are my 2 favorites, followed by Tragic Idol, Icon and Symbol of Life.

There'll be a new album next year and in a recent interview Greg said he has no clear idea of what the direction will be - it could either be a really heavy album or include everything from synth pop to doom metal. I'd like to hear some electronic and poppy elements again, because the last few albums have been quite metallic and I hope they won't get stuck in their comfort zone. That said, I'll probably be happy with whatever they put out :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2014, 02:46:21 AM »
Yeah I'm with you, a few more keyboards, or any keys and some ambient sounds would be nice and doomy  :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
Saturday morning cleaning time, so I put on the Draconian Times live DVD.
Still amazed that nearly 20 years on just how good this album is.
Almost flawless, and I don't say that about many albums  :o

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 04:59:27 AM »
On Saturday 20th September gothic metallers Paradise Lost will be performing at an exclusive show in the magnificent Roman theatre in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. For the one off event the band will be joined by the renowned Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra founded nearly 70 years ago and made up of over 100 highly qualified musicians. The orchestra has its roots in the hundred year old orchestral tradition in Plovdiv and over the years has launched the careers of many world-famous conductors.

The prestigious evening will be promoted by the Bulgarian independent radio station Radio Tangra Mega Rock and orchestrated by conductor Levon Manukyan who wrote the first metal ballet and is the founder of the Levon Manukyan Collegium Musicum orchestra. During his career Levon has previously given the classical treatment to rock and metal works by Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper, Dream Theater, AC/DC, Evanescence, Guns’n’Roses, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana and Judas Priest, and worked with world-famous soloists including ex-Nightwish vocalist Tarja Turunen.

“We have recorded elements of orchestration many times in the studio over the last two decades, as many of our songs lend themselves well to classical arrangement. However, we have never before had the chance to play with a real orchestra in a live situation, so it’s very exciting to have the opportunity to play with Plovdiv Philharmonic and in such a prestigious location as the Roman theatre"

This event will mark a key milestone in PARADISE LOST’s, already esteemed, career as they make their first ever performance accompanied by a full live orchestra.
Hopefully they'll film the show like Anathema did! :caffeine: Hopefully the setlist will include some less often played songs with strings like Last Regret, although obviously stuff like Forever Failure and Gothic can't be left unplayed at an event like this.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
Nick Holmes is the new vocalist of Bloodbath!

Didn't see that coming... :o As evidenced by recent live videos and the re-recordings from last year, he can still growl, but I definitely didn't expect him to roar on a full-blown death metal album again. Maybe he'll even growl on the next PL album?

PL also revealed the songs they'll play with an orchestra at the live DVD shoot later this month (including a new song): https://www.radiotangra.com/en/news/read/23907.html
1. Last Regret
2. Your Own reality
3. Over The Madness
4. Joys Of The Emptiness
5. Gothic
6. Tragic Idol
7. Soul Courageous
8. VICTIM OF THE PAST

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
Nick Holmes is the new vocalist of Bloodbath!

Didn't see that coming... :o As evidenced by recent live videos and the re-recordings from last year, he can still growl, but I definitely didn't expect him to roar on a full-blown death metal album again. Maybe he'll even growl on the next PL album?

Neither did I! In fact, I've never listened to Paradise Lost at all prior to hearing that announcement (although I know who PL were because of Jonas Renkse and Anders Nyström namedropping them many times in Katatonia interviews) but I just got finished listening to the Gothic album for the first time. Awesome stuff. I wonder if Nick Holmes being in Bloodbath will bring a gothic/doomy vibe on the upcoming Bloodbath album.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »
Anders had commented on the album's direction in some press release and he said it's gonna be death metal as usual. I've never listened to a full Bloodbath album before, because standard death metal gets boring really quickly, but I might have to give this a try just because I want to hear Nick growl. :lol BTW, PL guitarist Greg Mackintosh also has a death metal side project called Vallenfyre, so Nick isn't the first to revisit his roots.

Gothic is a classic record, but I like most of the albums that came out after it more. You should listen to Draconian Times - most fans consider it PL's magnum opus.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »
I am stunned that Nick got the job with BB, his vocals have changed a lot over the years, and for him to now sing death metal vocals is a complete shock.
But I do trust the other BB guys and he wouldn't have been given the job unless he could deliver the growls.

Yes PL Draconian Times is an absolute classic, almost perfect in every respect.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
Took a listen to Draconian Times, it's really great but I feel like I'll need another listen or two for it to really sink in with me. I'm listening to Host right now, and damn...I quite like this electronic rock sounding PL even though the genre is not necessarily my cup of tea!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2014, 12:32:30 AM »
Host was one of the first synth pop/rock albums I listened to and I still think it's a top 3 PL record. It also led me to discover Depeche Mode and some other electronic stuff.

Offline adace

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2015, 09:15:41 PM »
"No Hope in Sight": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7O1z-Vw9Vc

Didn't really care for it at first but now I think it's quite good. Excited for the new album.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2015, 10:00:04 PM »
That new song is awesome!
Sounds like Draconian Times.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2015, 05:20:43 AM »
The song has that recognizable PL feel, but doesn't feel like a rehash of Tragic Idol - I like it! :tup Nick's growls sound stronger than on the 2013 re-recordings and the new Bloodbath songs I've heard. He doesn't use them in the stereotypical "clean verse, growled chorus (or vice versa)" formula, but employs them more sparingly, which makes them more powerful.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
I just pre-ordered the box version of The Plague Within! :metal I have no need for the vinyls, but I really wanted to get the bonus tracks, and I don't mind getting a 36-page artbook, either.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2015, 07:19:03 AM »
The new album is fantastic!!!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2015, 03:31:38 AM »
I've only listened to Plague once, but I really liked what I heard. :metal It's heavy as hell, but has enough diversity not to get too samey or boring. The growls add a lot of variety to Nick's vocals - a couple of years ago I'd never have believed he'd go back to that, let alone use zero clean vocals on a PL song again. I also have to say the artbook looks gorgeous and the whole box is definitely worth the price! One of the bonus tracks, Never Look Away, is awesome in particular.

I'm also positively surprised at how much praise the album has received - on sites like Rate Your Music the average score is almost as good as it is for Icon and Draconian Times.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2015, 03:48:08 AM »
I ordered the deluxe box too, should arrive this week.
I watched the Draconian Times live DVD today, still one of my top 5 albums of all time, I never get tired of hearing it.

Offline Art

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
The Plague Within is amazing! :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
Definitely! I checked it out on random and I was floored. Awesome album!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2015, 07:31:03 AM »
Dare I say it? Contender of album of the year so far!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »
Dare I say it? Contender of album of the year so far!
Steven Wilson's HCE is my favorite so far, but Plague is definitely a runner-up! :metal

Draconian Times turned 20 over a week ago and I wrote about it in my blog, as well as a review of Plague.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2017, 03:33:42 AM »
New album, Medusa, due for release later this year.

https://teamrock.com/news/2017-04-24/paradise-lost-name-new-album-medusa

Been listening to Paradise Lost quite a lot this year, really looking forward to this. Still not listened to all of their albums but the ones I do like are pretty spectacular.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:53:38 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the information on the upcoming album.  I recently started listening thanks to the album thread.  Punishment through Time on The Plague Within kicks ass :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:51 AM »
I used to like this band.  Got introduced to them with 'Draconian Times', then enjoyed the two albums that followed that '1 second' then 'host' even though they were more electonical.  The next album was awful though, can't remember the name but it had Bee's on the cover - I kind of forgot about them after that.  Was did other's think of that 'Bee' album?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »
I used to like this band.  Got introduced to them with 'Draconian Times', then enjoyed the two albums that followed that '1 second' then 'host' even though they were more electonical.  The next album was awful though, can't remember the name but it had Bee's on the cover - I kind of forgot about them after that.  Was did other's think of that 'Bee' album?
Oh yeah, Believe in Nothing is largely agreed to be the worst PL album, even among the band members themselves. Greg said it doesn't really exist for him, because the making of the record was so heavily compromised. However, he thought World Pretending could've been a great song with better production, and Aaron even named it one of his top 10 PL songs (while giving an honorable mention to Gone, which is a B-side from the same sessions). Also, when Host and BIN were finally added on Spotify, PL put together a playlist with the band's favorite tracks from those two albums alongside songs they were influenced by back then.

I have to admit I only like a handful of songs on BIN and could do without the rest - the first two songs are great, the aforementioned World Pretending and Illumination are alright, and Look at Me Now is a pretty solid tune with the exception of the anticlimactic chorus. It's not even the lack of metal that bothers me, because Host is my second favorite PL album behind Draconian Times - it's just that the songwriting is so uninspired. As for the cover art, Nick said they were pretty confused and indifferent at the time due to the prescription pills they were taking. :P

Anyway, since then they've brought the heaviness back and cut back the electronics album by album, culminating in The Plague Within, which reintroduced Nick's death growl. I have to admit I'm a little concerned about the upcoming album's direction, because I'm not a big fan of sludgy stuff. To me the first great PL album is Icon, which was already growl-free, so I prefer their more melodic output, and at a few points on Plague Nick's growling felt like a bit of a cop-out when melodic singing would've been more fitting. I'll still give Medusa a chance though, hoping that it's not just death/doom.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2017, 08:28:54 AM »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
The best gothic metal band still around?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2017, 04:43:21 AM »
The Longest Winter sounds great, almost a return to the classic PL sound of Gothic and Shades.
Not sold on the production, but everything sounds great music , vocal and song wise.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »
What a heavy song. Gotdamn.

Offline Art

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »
The Longest Winter is amazing.  :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:06 PM »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
Medusa is growing after several listens.  Loving the guitar tone.  I will probably never get to see the band where I live, but this lineup would be great:
Paradise lost, The Anciients and Gojira :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2018, 04:06:21 AM »
Bumping this thread...
Remix and remaster of Believe In Nothing is out this Friday.

Anyone bought the remaster of Host?
Not my fave PL album, but might pick this up too.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
Bumping this thread...
Remix and remaster of Believe In Nothing is out this Friday.

Anyone bought the remaster of Host?
Not my fave PL album, but might pick this up too.
I reviewed the BIN remix. In a nutshell, some songs sound better, others sound worse, and the rest don't sound that different either way. The album is still mediocre musically, so I don't believe it's an essential release. I did like the Host remaster though.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2020, 10:14:00 PM »
Another bump for a band that seems to go unnoticed around these parts.
New song from the forthcoming album;
https://youtu.be/QWqNcw-oIbU