Author Topic: Paradise Lost  (Read 16989 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Paradise Lost
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:56 AM »
https://www.paradiselost.co.uk/news/2011/draconian-times-mmxi-announced.html
PARADISE LOST offer you the chance to take part in the "Draconian Times MMXI" DVD!

On 7th November 2011 PARADISE LOST and Century Media Records will release their new "Draconian Times MMXI" DVD. In early 2011 the band performed their monumental album Draconian Times (from 1995) live at a series of 7 exclusive gigs in the following select cities around Europe: Tilburg, Bochum, London, Paris, Athens, and Thessaloniki.

Nick Holmes (vocals) had this to say: "It was great fun doing the DT live shows and the response outshined our expectations by far, all the shows were great, but the London show was a real highlight & thankfully captured on film. Jens Bogren has mixed the songs brilliantly, the extras are fun, and the whole thing has come together tremendously well. We are lucky to have such devoted fans, prepared to travel all over the world to see our shows. This DVD is dedicated to them, and I hope they thoroughly enjoy it!"

"Draconian Times MMXI" features the London show at The Forum on April 1st, a documentary from the whole tour filmed by the band’s bass player Steve Edmondson, interviews about the history of "Draconian Times" with Simon Efemey (producer of Draconian Times, 1995), Nick Holmes (vocals), Greg Mackintosh (guitar), Aaron Aedy (guitar), Steve Edmondson (bass) and Andy Farrow (manager since 1990) and the two promo videos from PARADISE LOST’s latest album "Faith Divides Us – Death Unites Us".

Now you’ve got the chance to leave your memories of the legendary "Draconian Times" album on the new DVD. Pre-order the limited edition Double DVD plus Live CD at CM DISTRO EUROPE (click to pre-order) until August 29th, 2011, leave your memories (no more than 30 words), and your words and name will appear in the final credits of the DVD. Please understand that we have to delete anything sexual, offending, etc. that will cause us trouble to get the DVD in to public retail (without being x-rated).

The main show was directed and produced by Paul Green for of Cybertech Productions. Jens Bogren who produced the last Paradise Lost album (as well as Opeth, Amon Amarth, etc.) mixed and mastered the audio sound at Fascination Street Studios. The cover artwork for "Draconian Times MMXI" was created by Justin Kamerer (www.angryblue.com). The tracklist of the main show includes all tracks from the original 1995 "Draconian Times" album plus some more old and new classics.

"Draconian Times MMXI" tracklist:

Enchantment
    Hallowed Land
    The Last Time
    Forever Failure
    Once Solemn
    Shadowkings
    Elusive Cure
    Yearn For Change
    Shades Of God
    Hands Of Reason
    I See Your Face
    Jaded
    Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us
    True Belief
    One Second
    Say Just Words
    Rise Of Denial
    As I Die

Stay tuned for more info on the release and a video trailer to be published soon.
:metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 09:43:29 AM »
I got Host - their most controversial album - some time ago and it's not bad actually! I like many songs, and metal purists are probably just complaining about the lack of distortion on guitars.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 05:59:34 AM »
PL's new album Tragic Idol will be released in late April and a new song called Crucify was available for free download on Valentine's Day (it can also be found on Youtube). Sounds like they're taking the heaviness and doominess of Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us even further, which is not a bad thing, although I also enjoy One Second and Host.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 05:51:28 AM »
Bumping this once again just to say that Tragic Idol is awesome - probably my album of the year so far! :metal Solitary One, The Glorious End and Fear of Impending Hell are my favorite songs. It's sad that PL get so little attention on this board :sadpanda: Hopefully the Katatonia/Devin fans will check them out on the fall US tour. To anyone unfamiliar with PL checking out this thread; I can give you some album/song recommendations if you're interested.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 06:11:16 AM »
Tragic Idol is on my short-list...I'm a big fan of this band since hearing them for the first time back when Draconian Times came out...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »
I've been a fan just for 2 years... How did you react to One Second and Host when they came out? I've heard that most fans were pretty shocked and disappointed by those releases - I personally like them a lot.

I just found that MetalSucks.net (what a name :lol) is offering a free Paradise Lost sampler including a song from each album. Those song picks are pretty good and I recommend it to anyone who wants to see what the evolution of PL has been like.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 08:00:22 AM »
I've been a fan just for 2 years... How did you react to One Second and Host when they came out? I've heard that most fans were pretty shocked and disappointed by those releases - I personally like them a lot.

It wasn't much of a shock for me...I actually love One Second. I was not around for their early Death/Doom years, and came in when they were using melody and piano...One Second and Host, to me, were simple evolution.

Offline pkj

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
It wasn't much of a shock for me...I actually love One Second. I was not around for their early Death/Doom years, and came in when they were using melody and piano...One Second and Host, to me, were simple evolution.
Agreed -- but I say logical rather than simple!  The key is Greg's playing and writing style (allmusic called it 'baroque' metal) that usually features some kind of sobbing lead melody over the rhythm, in any combination of guitar or keyboard, which is as true on 'Rapture' as it is on 'Ordinary Days'.  He's a very original and accomplished songwriter. 

I like Host a lot, but One Second is my least favorite PL.  It just feels undercooked or something.  But maybe now that I'm into the Sisters of Mercy I should try revisiting that. 

There are gaps in my PL albums -- missing four of them -- but here's how I rank them (since that generally seems to be a popular activity here  :laugh: )

1) Icon
2) Gothic
3) Shades of God
4) In Requiem
5) Host
6) Symbol of Life
7) Believe In Nothing
8) Draconian Times
9) One Second

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »
Agreed -- but I say logical rather than simple!  The key is Greg's playing and writing style (allmusic called it 'baroque' metal) that usually features some kind of sobbing lead melody over the rhythm, in any combination of guitar or keyboard, which is as true on 'Rapture' as it is on 'Ordinary Days'.  He's a very original and accomplished songwriter.
I agree - the essence of Paradise Lost has always been the same. In fact, many Host songs could fit the new albums if there were distorted guitars and Nick sang more roughly. I bet the people complaining about the lack of guitars or that the album doesn't sound like PL haven't given it more than one listen: there are actually lots of guitars but they used many effects on them and the atmosphere's just as dark as anything else they've done.
I like Host a lot, but One Second is my least favorite PL.  It just feels undercooked or something.  But maybe now that I'm into the Sisters of Mercy I should try revisiting that.
I like both albums but I find Host a tad more consistent. OS has some of their best songs like Mercy, Another Day and This Cold Life but Host is more solid overall.

My ranking changes all the time so I won't bother to do one here. Instead, I'll list my favorite song from each album (the ones I've heard, anyway):

Gothic: The Painless
SOG: No Forgiveness
Icon: Forging Sympathy
DT: Yearn for Change
Host: In All Honesty
SOL: title-track or Pray Nightfall
S/T: Over the Madness (the solo: :hefdaddy)
IR: Requiem
FDUDUU: Living with Scars
TI: Solitary One

I bought The Anatomy of Melancholy DVD yesterday and will watch it tomorrow when I have time. Judging by the setlists and the videos I've seen, I'll probably enjoy it a lot! :metal

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
Draconian Times and One Second are my 2 favorite...followed by Icon...but they're all good...they show a very talented, varied band that can play many different styles while, as was said, maintain an essence.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »
I've gotten a whole bunch of albums by these guys and can't wait to dig through their discography. Love the odd track I've heard by them here and there.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
I've gotten a whole bunch of albums by these guys and can't wait to dig through their discography. Love the odd track I've heard by them here and there.
Looking at your top 50 albums, I bet you'll find at least One Second and Host appealing. But going through many or all of them is a good idea, they have a very varied career! :tup

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll probably dig their synth-driven sound more than most. I also have an affinity for doom metal that's grown recently, so I think I'll like those as well!

Offline pkj

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
I bought The Anatomy of Melancholy DVD yesterday and will watch it tomorrow when I have time. Judging by the setlists and the videos I've seen, I'll probably enjoy it a lot! :metal
You'll like it!  Check out that guitar solo on 'Ember's Fire'.  ;)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
I watched the DVD and yes, it's great! :metal Nick's vocals weren't great at the beginning of the show but he got better as the night went on (except for Once Solemn). I like Gothic and Eternal, they sound much better than the studio versions with the crap production. The heavy version of So Much is Lost is interesting as well and :tup for Sweetness. I think I prefer the Draconian Times DVD performance-wise but the setlist is better and more diverse on Anatomy.

Offline pkj

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »
Agreed re: Nick.  His performances often seem to be quite uneven.  But for the most part I think he does a good job negotiating the rather wildly divergent vocal styles in the band's back catalogue. 

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2012, 05:00:31 AM »
Yeah, Nick is inconsistent as a live singer, he often has trouble pulling off some of the more difficult vocal parts (especially on the Draconian Times songs). Someone has uploaded most of the pro-shot Ukrainian show from 2005 to Youtube and he sounds pretty terrible on those videos. I've heard he hadn't slept well enough and he does look and sound tired so that's probably true. On the top of that, Greg was in hospital so they had to play those songs as a 4-piece with only one guitar! However, Nick was very good on the Draconian Times anniversary tour judging by the DVD and some audience-filmed videos from the other shows.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »
I got yet another PL DVD, this time it's the Over the Madness documentary. The short version gave me the impression it's meant for people unfamiliar with PL but the director's cut is a must-see for every dedicated fan of the band and I especially found the full interview with Greg on the bonus disc very interesting.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 05:57:10 AM »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
Paradise Lost posted my interview with Greg and Steve on their Facebook page:

https://youtu.be/ZWXyv8F2Rb8
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2012, 06:23:09 AM »
I used to loce PL, the Icon/DT/One Second era were great.
I didn't like Host really, but there are some great pro shot bootlegs around from that era with the Host songs sounding great live with some beefier guitars.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2012, 02:44:11 AM »
Bumping this thread again...

In October I bought a nice rarity - the PL singles box set! It's a limited edition of 1,000 copies and includes their singles and EPs from the 92-97 era. It cost over 30 € but it was totally worth it - it's the rarest item in my record collection! :2metal:

And while I'm at it, this is my album ranking right now:

1. Draconian Times
2. Host
3. Tragic Idol
4. Icon
5. Faith Divides Us...
6. One Second
7. In Requiem
8. Symbol of Life
9. Shades of God
10. Paradise Lost
11. Gothic

The self-titled album has grown on me, but I still think it has its fair share of filler. Gothic, on the other hand, is ruined by the awful production - this might sound contradictory coming from someone who enjoys the first 2 Opeth albums and When Dream and Day Unite, but the rhythm guitar sound on Gothic sounds like farting and the drums sound as if they were made of cardboard. Nick wasn't a great growler, and the songwriting is also pretty inconsistent: there are classics like the title-track, Eternal and The Painless, but there's also a lot of aimless and immature material - Falling Forever is simply laughable! It's hard to take an album like this 100% seriously when the production makes it sound even comical at times.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:58:44 AM by ? »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »
The singles Box set is an excellent release, with many rare songs not released anywhere else, and for 30 euro's that a steal.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 01:50:32 AM »
I think it was 32,95 € - a true bargain for a release like that! I had heard the B-sides before, but obviously it's great to have them on CD, there are some gems like Sweetness, Rape of Virtue and Master of Misrule.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2013, 05:42:01 AM »
Just bought "Tradic Idol". Really liking this album. Good old Paradise Lost at top form :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2013, 07:50:44 AM »
My 2nd favorite album of 2012! :tup The Glorious End has become one of my all-time favorite PL songs, the final chorus... no, the whole song is so unbelievably epic! :hefdaddy

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2013, 06:54:01 AM »
My 2nd favorite album of 2012! :tup The Glorious End has become one of my all-time favorite PL songs, the final chorus... no, the whole song is so unbelievably epic! :hefdaddy

I agree! It's a glorious end to the album!  :hat My favourite track of the album!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2013, 03:10:38 AM »
Last Thursday Adrian tweeted that he's going to studio with PL and one day later he said that the drums and bass are done. I wonder if they're recording a new song/EP or something else for the 25th anniversary... :caffeine:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
25th anniversary dates in the UK coming up: https://paradiselost.co.uk/news/2013/25th-anniversary-uk-shows.html

Hopefully they'll pull an Opeth and film the Roundhouse show. The mention about the "Tragic Illusion" album sounds intriguing - it's probably a compilation, perhaps including some new stuff and/or re-recorded songs.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2013, 04:13:20 AM »
Tragic Illusion 25 (The Rarities) track-listing:

1. Loneliness Remains
2. Never Take Me Alive (SPEAR OF DESTINY cover version)
3. Ending Through Changes
4. The Last Fallen Saviour
5. Last Regret (Lost in Prague Orchestra Mix)
6. Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us (Lost in Prague Orchestra Mix)
7. Cardinal Zero
8. Back On Disaster
9. Sons Of Perdition
10. Godless
11. Missing (EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL cover version)
12. Silent in Heart
13. Gothic 2013
14. Our Saviour 2013

It's awesome that some bands still release compilations of B-sides and other rare stuff! :tup I can't wait to hear what the new version of Our Saviour sounds like... :o

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
If I were going to listen to Paradise Lost, which album should I start with?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »
Draconian Times - easily their best and most consistent album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
Cool, I'll check it out! :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2014, 02:11:56 AM »
Yup.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2014, 02:18:26 AM »
Draconian times is awesome, but id still rank one album above it.

Top.3

1. In Requiem
2. Draconian Times
3. One Second