Author Topic: ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v.2: #41 A little known indie artist  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v.2: #43 Two of two acoustic records
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2023, 02:01:18 PM »
As one of the larger Kiss fans here, I can weigh in.  I think it's a great record.  I was familiar with some of the Konvention songs (I've got a boot somewhere), and many of those - Comin' Home, Plaster Caster, Rock Bottom - were from that.  These are more polished - many of the Konvention songs were by request and impromptu - and I think it goes to the old adage that a good song is when you can play in solo on acoustic, and most of these pass the test. 

I know a song like "Plaster Caster", which strains all credibility in it's original form, takes on a sort of new life here and transcends it's dodgy lyrics.  It's actually a pretty well crafted song.   

The two ballads, I Still Love You and Every Time I Look At You are, for me, the definitive versions, losing some of the cheese in the performance.

I also love that Kiss - mocked for being one of the worst offenders at recycling setlists - played a virtually hit-free set.  Other than Beth and RnRAN, the former being the showcase for Peter, almost every song was a deeper cut, and easily 2/3 of the set didn't appear previously on one of the three "Alive" albums.  They even did a song from the solo albums ("See You Tonite", another beautiful song that doesn't make a ton of sense lyrically) and one from "The Elder" ("A World Without Heroes").

I don't skip it, but I do agree that "2,000 Man" is an odd choice.  First it's a cover (the Stones); second, I know they needed an Ace showcase, but why not "Two Sides Of The Coin"? "Rocket Ride"?  "Parasite" with him singing (Gene sings the studio and live versions with Kiss)?  Hell, even "Torpedo Girl" (yet ANOTHER great musical tune with lyrics that should have been scrutinized a little harder).  I know hits were off the table, but they gave Peter "Beth" and not "Hooligan" (won't go to school again) or "Baby Driver".   Why not "New York Groove" or HIS signature tune, "Shock Me"?

Side note: I know Rick Nielson has said publicly that Gene "sucked" as a bass player - but I think he was joking, because Rick is a shit stirrer, and the song he played on Gene's solo album is NOT Gene on bass.  But he's friends with Gene, and they go way back, so... Others have said that he's a pretty underrated player, and I think this record shows that.  There are some really tasty bass lines here that translate well to the acoustic bass.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: ReaperKK's Top 50 Albums v.2: #41 A little known indie artist
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2023, 06:25:36 PM »
41. Taylor SwiftLover

My wife is a huge Taylor Swift fan, and even if she wasn't it's pretty hard to escape the Taylorverse. That said I've never had any issues with Taylor's music, it's good but I never thought it really stood out or really appealed to me. I was more of a Ed Sheeran fan when it came to my pop music. With that said when this album came out I found myself really digging it.

I've listened to Taylor's discography more times than I can count and while I enjoy her music through the years I never really clicked with any of it until Lover came out. To me Lover is everything I want from a pop album and I think it's Taylors strongest showing. The ideas are fresh and the lyrics are really well written, which has largely been my issue with her music, they are often clunky and the album flows incredibly well.

Starting with a more stripped down feeling "I thought that you existed" to "Paper Rings" to "London Boy" the songs flow effortlessly while still having their own unique footprint. I think my only issue with this album is "ME!" and that's largely because I can't stand Brendon Urie and Panic! At The Disco. That said it's only a slight ding in this 18 song collection of fantastic tunes.

Give “I Forgot That You Existed” and "The Archer" a spin!

Album Link: https://open.spotify.com/album/1NAmidJlEaVgA3MpcPFYGq?si=H30s_CevR2yUk6Ur0BfrUw