Author Topic: Official: DTF's song ratings 2009 RESULTS  (Read 32938 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Official: DTF's song ratings RESULTS
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
The Glass Prison is 4th?
The Count of Tuscany is 5th?

I know everyone has their own taste, but to me those songs are not representative of DT at their best.  Both songs are far from masterpieces, in my opinion.  The top-10 songs should be masterpiece after masterpiece.  TCoT is great musically, but the lyrics are a cheese-fest IMO and that seriously damages its greatness.  Lyrics are an important element of a song's greatness. 

Meanwhile, TGP is the most meandering, tedious song in the DT catalog and it breaks no new ground musically in my opinion.  To me, it's just 14 minues of noise.  It doesn't mix in a quiet moment or slow things down briefly like most well-rounded epics.  It's just loud.  I'll never understand the love it gets.   

I can understand your opinion on TCOT (although musically it is so high up that it makes up for the lyrics for the most part), but TGP is a perfect representation of DT's music. It is the perfect blend of heaviness, technicality, and most importantly melody and songwriting without being overshadowed by those other elements.
AND...it kicks ass.  :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
The Glass Prison deserves its high ranking but The Count of Tuscany doesn't even break top 20 for me maybe like even 40. Octavarium might not break top 20 either. Its insane for me how this list turned out :eek

I couldn't rate songs by giving them number scores I'm individually pitting them against the song above it and below and moving it accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:56:11 PM by jcmistat »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »

It is amazing.  REALLY wish it had more live circulation.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »

It is amazing.  REALLY wish it had more live circulation.

agreed

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »
The two songs I would move the furthest would be ITNOG from 8 to the lower 30's (never got why this song is so universally loved--I like it, just don't love it) and Hollow Years would move up to the upper 30's (song means a lot to me personally).
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »
The two songs I would move the furthest would be ITNOG from 8 to the lower 30's (never got why this song is so universally loved--I like it, just don't love it) and Hollow Years would move up to the upper 30's (song means a lot to me personally).

Yeah ITNOG is way to high. Hollow Years (Live at Budokan) is a top 5 song for me.