Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 51514 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Alice In Chains
« Reply #385 on: May 07, 2018, 09:22:47 PM »
Just got the Jar Of Flies/Sap vinyl. For some reason Rotten Apple is by far my favorite AIC song. It's just so desolate and soul draining in a strange comforting sort of way.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #386 on: May 08, 2018, 03:21:27 AM »
Rotten Apple is incredible

And there's been times where shit has been going real rough in my life and I swear, the Rotten Apple, nutshell combo has brought me back out of it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:40:27 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #387 on: May 08, 2018, 07:33:12 AM »
Just got the Jar Of Flies/Sap vinyl. For some reason Rotten Apple is by far my favorite AIC song. It's just so desolate and soul draining in a strange comforting sort of way.

SAP is where it's at.  For my money, that's AiC's best work. "You... were always so far away...."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #388 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »
I don't mind the tempo, a lot of the better AiC tunes are slow or barely midtempo. But if the songs aren't there, tempo can't rescue the record.
That was my main issue with Dinosaur. Luckily the new song doesn't suffer from it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #389 on: May 19, 2018, 10:38:21 PM »
Just got back from seeing them. It was pretty awesome. The setlist was rock solid except the new song which stopped the momentum dead and the audience was not in to it and neither was I.

I cried during nutshell. And the rest of the songs were mental.

It was great, but I do wish I could have seen them with Layne. Duvall did a great job, but it just wasn't quite the same.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #390 on: May 22, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
They are a great live band.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »
So I just listened to the new song (just learned that they dropped a new single today oops) and it's definitely different. I wasn't really expecting how nasty that main riff sounds. Not something I'd ever thought I'd say, but it reminds me of Opeth or Porcupine Tree more than anything. Verses and outro are probably the highlights of the song imo. Chorus feels a little weak to me. That's my initial reaction to the album. It has made me rather curious to hear the rest of the album.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #392 on: June 27, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
New album "Rainier Fog" comes out August 24th

New song (So far under)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qusV7bKsrAE
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:56:15 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #393 on: June 27, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »
I like the song, especially the chorus. The cover art is enjoyable, the track listing pretty cool as well. Nothing spectacular, just very solid first glimpses into the album.  ;)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: June 27, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: June 27, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
 :omg:

Love it! Has that ol' AIC vibe.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #396 on: June 27, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »
I quite like the new song.  :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #397 on: June 27, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
The first two new songs we've heard from them are good, but it's like they are stuck in second gear, and plod along at a mid-tempo pace. Same problem with Dinosaurs.

On this newest new tune, I dig the harmonies (old school AiC right there) and the guitar solo.

First day buyer, as always, but I really think AiC needs a few "We Die Young"-like tracks in terms of tempo.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #398 on: June 27, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »
The first two new songs we've heard from them are good, but it's like they are stuck in second gear, and plod along at a mid-tempo pace. Same problem with Dinosaurs.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Both new songs, just plodding along and quite frankly they are boring. I'll remain hopeful the other songs on the album are better.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: June 27, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »
I really think AiC needs a few "We Die Young"-like tracks in terms of tempo.

I agree.   They're the only band of that genre/era that crossed over enough into my metal tastes to get me interested but it was songs like We Die Young and Man In The Box that got me there.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: June 27, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »

I agree.   They're the only band of that genre/era that crossed over enough into my metal tastes to get me interested but it was songs like We Die Young and Man In The Box that got me there.

Honestly that's as far as I ever got. With Facelift, I was one and done with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #401 on: June 27, 2018, 08:02:56 PM »

Honestly that's as far as I ever got. With Facelift, I was one and done with them.

I am now positive that you were dropped on your head as a newborn.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: June 27, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »
I agree that they need to vary the tempo more. "So Far Under" is definitely better than the first track they released, though. I like the chorus.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #403 on: June 28, 2018, 06:27:31 AM »

It might be worth checking out their song nutshell.

https://youtu.be/g_ihXlWKC7g

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: June 28, 2018, 10:28:24 AM »
Looks like Chris DeGarmo (formerly of Queensryche) is performing acoustic guitar on "Drones" from the new album. Jerry talked about it in an interview with Rolling Stone, saying that he he wrote this weird part he couldn't quite play, and DeGarmo was with them in the studio, so he asked Chris to do it. Pretty cool.

This isn't Chris' first foray with AiC. While most know he performed with Jerry's band on the 1998 Boggy Depot tour, he also played slide guitar on "Anger Rising" from Cantrell's Degradation Trip record. But, Chris also played on stage with Alice in Chains during the band's 2005 reunion show at the Premier Club in Seattle. I was there. Chris played rhythm guitar during Alice's electric set, and played LEAD guitar during the acoustic set. To this day, I still don't know why Chris was playing the leads during the acoustic portion. Maybe Jerry just feels Chris' spider-like fingers are more adept at acoustic stuff. It was really cool to see.

Looking forward to hearing "Drones." Jerry may have wrote the part, but it'll sound like good ole CDG, I am sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #405 on: June 29, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
I'm also interested in DeGarmo's involvement. Cool news.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #406 on: June 29, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »

I am now positive that you were dropped on your head as a newborn.

Knowing Tim's tastes, I can honestly see how this was the case.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #407 on: June 29, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »
I actually liked Facelift. A lot. Reminded me of Armored Saint TBH. But I liked Armored Saint a lot more. I never really followed up. I've heard a ton of their songs on the radio and such. Just never really piqued my interest. I did buy the Unplugged album, but honestly, I didn't care for it. It didn't hit me the same way the Nirvana one did.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #408 on: June 29, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »
Their masterpieces are Dirt and S/T, but Facelift is easily their most ‘metal’ album.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #409 on: June 29, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
Their masterpieces are Dirt and S/T, but Facelift is easily their most ‘metal’ album.

But I like metal! :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #410 on: June 29, 2018, 08:40:27 PM »

But I like metal! :lol

I know!  :metal

But AiC never made another album quite like Facelift. Come to think of it, I wouldn’t mind if they revisited that sound once again. As much as I like their last two albums, they’ve been decidedly mellow.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline dparrott

« Reply #411 on: June 30, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »

SAP is where it's at.  For my money, that's AiC's best work. "You... were always so far away...."

Got Me Wrong is one of my favorite songs from them.  Love that chorus.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #412 on: July 01, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »
S/T might be my least favorite

Offline Mladen

« Reply #413 on: July 02, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »
S/T might be my least favorite
That one is actually my favorite.  ;)

I saw the guys in Budapest last night and they blew us away. The performance was rather short, about an hour and a half, but it was still jam packed with classics. Some songs were rocking, others were touching. And I will go out on a limb and say The One you know was one of the highlights, the crowd loved it and the riff was awesome to go wild to.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #414 on: August 10, 2018, 03:07:01 AM »
New song, "Never Fade":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf8Pyd_NYTw

Nice to hear William out front more on these last couple of songs. I think this one's my favorite, so far (...under?). :P
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Art

« Reply #415 on: August 10, 2018, 09:22:02 AM »
Cool song!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
I like it a lot. More up-tempo, which is what they need.  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #417 on: August 25, 2018, 05:05:53 AM »
New album is out.

I don't like it at all. It all just blends together and is straitforward and dull. I was bored listening to it and had to stop myself from hitting the skip button to the next track.

All I am is ok, and I kind of like red giant. Besides that, I don't like this album at all. Still love Black gives way to blue and a handful of songs off dinosaurs though.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #418 on: August 25, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »
I haven't heard any of it yet, but just heard this one for the first time in a few years and was reminded of how good some of their stuff really was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODTv9Lt5WYs

Offline Mladen

« Reply #419 on: August 25, 2018, 07:37:51 AM »
I was afraid I'd have to be a bit harsh on the album, since the first several listens reminded me of Dinosaur and how bland and samey it was. But the pieces are starting to come together and I'm really enjoying at the moment.