Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 51533 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Alice In Chains
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2017, 05:22:09 PM »
I bow down on my hands and knees and worship Sunshine from Facelift  :hefdaddy

If I hand to pick a theme song to my life at the moment. It would be sunshine

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2017, 08:30:09 PM »
I saw them a couple years ago for the first time and I was surprised they played that one. Good song!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #352 on: April 07, 2017, 06:49:02 AM »
GREAT song.  Could be my favorite AiC song.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #353 on: April 07, 2017, 09:20:05 AM »
Add another fist in the air for "Sunshine." Love it.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline romdrums

« Reply #354 on: April 07, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »
Listening to Facelift right now.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
Any love for Real Thing? One of my top favorite AIC tunes

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
For me, it gets no better than Facelift.  There's not a song on there that I don't like.  In fact, most of them, I love.  Trying to pick a favorite song, I thought "definitely 'We Die Young'".  Then, I thought, "but, then, there's "Sea Of Sorrow".  And, "Bleed The Freak".  It just goes on and on!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #357 on: April 07, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
Any love for Real Thing? One of my top favorite AIC tunes

Hell yeah, that song rocks

For me, it gets no better than Facelift.  There's not a song on there that I don't like.  In fact, most of them, I love.  Trying to pick a favorite song, I thought "definitely 'We Die Young'".  Then, I thought, "but, then, there's "Sea Of Sorrow".  And, "Bleed The Freak".  It just goes on and on!

And I totally agree. This album is a gem, so damn good from beginning to end and so damn hard to pick favorites.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #358 on: April 08, 2017, 12:24:11 PM »
It feels to me as if Facelift is almost criminally underrated at times. Everyone talks about Dirt and how great it is, but honestly, Facelift is right up there. It is incredibly solid all the way through with lots of just fantastic songs. It's one of my favorite debuts of all time and sometimes, I might like it even a little better than Dirt.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: April 08, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »
Dirt will always be their peak for me, but Facelift is a close second.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #360 on: April 09, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »
Facelift is great but I would put it at a close third place behind Dirt and the self-titled.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: April 10, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
I prefer Facelift to Dirt all day long.  The very high points of Dirt might be a little better (Rooster; Would?)  but it's too dark for me.   And they both pale in comparison to SAP and Jar of Flies (though I prefer SAP more). 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #362 on: May 04, 2018, 03:24:52 PM »
New song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=352RBWh6ViU

Nothing spectacular, but Its nice to have new music.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:39:23 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: May 04, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
I like it.  :tup
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #364 on: May 04, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
I nodded off about half way through.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #365 on: May 04, 2018, 05:51:55 PM »

Yeah, me too kind of. I hope we don't have another "the devil put dinosaurs here".  I could definitely go for another black gives way to blue though

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #366 on: May 04, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »

Yeah, me too kind of. I hope we don't have another "the devil put dinosaurs here".  I could definitely go for another black gives way to blue though

I swear, I’m the only one who loves that disc. Low Ceiling is one of their best songs, fight me on it.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #367 on: May 04, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »
I like both albums alright. I think Dino may have the edge, but it's close for me. As for the new song, it has its moments. I just wish they'd find a different (faster) tempo sometimes. It feels like most of the songs between the last two albums are about the same tempo. Maybe that's a weird thing to nitpick but I don't know. A little more variation in that area wouldn't hurt. To be fair, the Dino album was a little better about it (I think?) than BGWTB. Does any of that make sense? Probably not. Carry on. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: May 04, 2018, 07:38:45 PM »
New song is okay, I guess. Really hoping we get something a little more outside the box from them on the new record, because The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here was very, very stale.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: May 04, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
Pretty good song, I never did check out post-layne AIC, I should fix that this weekend.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #370 on: May 04, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
Yep tempo and letting William be the main vocalist at times a little more would be great. Jerry is my dude and he's a fab singer (amazing guitar player) who has done some of the most brilliant harmonizing with Layne and now William, he has every right to want to be the face of the band I guess but it's ok to let William do a bit more. Regardless I like the new song. Chorus could have been stronger IMO.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #371 on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:09 PM »
I actually thoroughly enjoy Post-Layne era. Its definitely a different flavor, but I think that Black gives way to blue is a damn fine album. And Dino has some very strong songs as well.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #372 on: May 05, 2018, 02:58:57 AM »
I liked that song more than pretty much anything on the previous album. The riff and the chorus are amazing.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #373 on: May 05, 2018, 04:15:03 AM »
Kinda like the new song but like the last couple of records it's kind of tame.

I want my Alice In Chains to be weird, dark, depressing, heavy and some of that is missing.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #374 on: May 05, 2018, 09:08:16 AM »

I want my Alice In Chains to be weird, dark, depressing, heavy and some of that is missing.

The depressing times are gone...they all came from Layne.

Offline Art

« Reply #375 on: May 05, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »
On a second listen, i like the song a lot. Good enough single.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #376 on: May 05, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »

The depressing times are gone...they all came from Layne.

There are some pretty dark songs on both of Cantrell's solo records, so it's not only Layne, but I think Layne was the darker mind.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #377 on: May 05, 2018, 02:06:39 PM »
I'm a huge AIC fan. I've listened to this 3 times and I have to give it a thumbs down overall.

The harmonies are great. Cantrell's guitar solo is quite good. But as previously mentioned, the tempo is an issue and the song drags. It actually sounds like it could have ben on Cantrell's solo album "Boggy Depot."

I'm not writing the new album off yet. It's one song.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: May 05, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
I actually thoroughly enjoy Post-Layne era. Its definitely a different flavor, but I think that Black gives way to blue is a damn fine album. And Dino has some very strong songs as well.

I saw them live a summer or two ago, and I was blown away by how good they were live.   First, it really brought the William stuff to life, but even the old, they CRUSHED it.   Really good.   I went to see Jane's Addiction (who played right before them) but ended up really digging AiC. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #379 on: May 06, 2018, 08:14:36 AM »
I find it ironic that the tempo is an issue with an Alice In Chains song.  :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #380 on: May 06, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
"Speaking to Guitar World, guitarist and co-vocalist Jerry Cantrell said the as-yet-untitled album is one “we haven’t done yet, I can tell you that.” He added, “But it’s also a record that has all the elements of anything you would expect from us. It’s got our fingerprint. And we’re really proud of the material that we wrote and the performances we captured. There’s some really heavy shit, some really ugly stuff, some real beautiful stuff, some weirdo trippy shit… it’s good!”"

Sounds promising.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #381 on: May 06, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
I find it ironic that the tempo is an issue with an Alice In Chains song.  :lol

It's not the selected tempo that is the issue. It's the fact that they use the same selected tempo too often.

"Speaking to Guitar World, guitarist and co-vocalist Jerry Cantrell said the as-yet-untitled album is one “we haven’t done yet, I can tell you that.” He added, “But it’s also a record that has all the elements of anything you would expect from us. It’s got our fingerprint. And we’re really proud of the material that we wrote and the performances we captured. There’s some really heavy shit, some really ugly stuff, some real beautiful stuff, some weirdo trippy shit… it’s good!”"

Sounds promising.

I like that. I don't want a Facelift part 2 or Dirt part 2. If it's an album they say the haven't done yet, I am interested as to what it will be.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #382 on: May 07, 2018, 07:54:19 AM »
I heard the new tune once. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I will say that the whole mid-tempo, plodding pace has gotten old. It's like AiC has forgotten how to write aggressive tunes like We Die Young. Not saying the whole record needs to be like that. But some variety would be nice. The Dinosaurs recorded ended up sounding samey because of that (Stone, Hollow, Phantom Limb were my top 3, and all were the same pace - but I could care less about the rest of the record, because it all just plods).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #383 on: May 07, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
I heard the new tune once. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I will say that the whole mid-tempo, plodding pace has gotten old. It's like AiC has forgotten how to write aggressive tunes like We Die Young. Not saying the whole record needs to be like that. But some variety would be nice. The Dinosaurs recorded ended up sounding samey because of that (Stone, Hollow, Phantom Limb were my top 3, and all were the same pace - but I could care less about the rest of the record, because it all just plods).

Totally agree. Of the post Staley releases, Black Gives Way to Blue is better than Dinosaurs in my opinion, the main reason being the tempo.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #384 on: May 07, 2018, 12:29:42 PM »
I also think that Black Gives Way To Blue is better than Dinosaurs but my main reason are the songs.

I don't mind the tempo, a lot of the better AiC tunes are slow or barely midtempo. But if the songs aren't there, tempo can't rescue the record.