Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 51516 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Alice In Chains
« Reply #315 on: September 07, 2016, 12:42:16 AM »
1. Dirt
2. Facelift
3. Jar Of Flies (EP)
4. Alice In Chains
5. Black Gives Way To Blue
6. Sap (EP)
7. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #316 on: September 07, 2016, 05:58:56 AM »
I don't understand why Sap gets so little recognition. Is it just because it's so short? It's been a while since I listened to it but I thought it was really great, Brother and Right Turn are fantastic songs. As great as Jar of Flies is, I think I might like Sap more, simply because most of Jar of Flies is so dark and depressing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #317 on: September 07, 2016, 06:26:46 AM »
Sap is really short and I have to rank it somewhere but being near the bottom doesn't mean it's bad. In fact I like Sap a lot, Brother and Got Me Wrong are stellar tunes, the rest is decent, apart from the "hidden" track, which is more of a joke.

The dark and depressing themes and moods are what makes AiC so great. They wouldn't work as a happy band imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2016, 07:17:36 AM »
1. Facelift
2. Jar of flies
3. Dirt
4. Unplugged in NY
5. Black gives way to blue

6. Self titled
7. The devil put dinosaurs here

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2016, 08:30:51 AM »
Yeah I definitely get that the dark and depressing themes were what AIC were all about and what they did best, I'm just not always in the mood for something like Rotten Apple or Nutshell. Their songs in that vein are amazing, I just find the songs that are less depressive more accessible.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »
Facelift
Dirt
Jar Of Flies
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
Sap
Black Gives Way To Blue
Alice In Chains

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2016, 01:59:50 PM »
I don't understand why Sap gets so little recognition. Is it just because it's so short? It's been a while since I listened to it but I thought it was really great, Brother and Right Turn are fantastic songs. As great as Jar of Flies is, I think I might like Sap more, simply because most of Jar of Flies is so dark and depressing.
The shortness is defnitely a factor. I'm not sure it would make it any higher in my rankings even if it had a couple more songs, though. That's not a knock on Sap--I enjoy it a lot--the other albums just have a lot of great material. Where I'm kind of waffling is whether I like Black Gives Way to Blue or the self-titled album better. I need to give each another listen to know for sure.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #322 on: September 07, 2016, 05:59:44 PM »
Had Jar Of Flies been a full length, it would surely be a contender for first place for me.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #323 on: September 07, 2016, 06:22:07 PM »
Minority opinion but self-titled may actually be my favorite. Perhaps that's a bit of nostalgia influence since that was the first album to be released after I became a fan of the band.

Offline Art

« Reply #324 on: September 08, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »
1 - Jar Of Flies
2 - Dirt
3 - Facelift
4 - Black Gives Way To Blue
5 - Tripod
6 - SAP
7 - Devil Put Dinosaurs

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #325 on: September 09, 2016, 06:54:57 AM »
Late to the party here, but Sap is my favorite by a lot, then the debut, then Jar.    Dirt is an amazing work of art but it's not something I listen to a lot because it's just so damn bleak. 

I will say this, though, I saw the latest incarnation on a festival tour with Jane's Addiction last year or so (maybe two years) and while I went for Jane's, I stood about four feet in front of Jerry the entire show and he is phe-nom-en-al.   Really, really good guitar player live. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #326 on: September 09, 2016, 07:08:31 AM »
I think Dirt is their pinnacle, and one of my fav of all time.  This position is augmented by the circumstances of that particular time in my life, but I think it is amazing.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #327 on: September 12, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
My two favorite projects by this band are easily Jar of Flies and Sap.  Dirt is also great, but I have it just under those two.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #328 on: September 12, 2016, 01:53:02 PM »
As has been pointed out in this thread, AiC albums can be quite bleak, but somehow I find their music to be uplifting in a weird way.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #329 on: September 12, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
I also find the bleakness uplifting. If I am having a terrible point in my life or whatever, I turn to AIC and they make it sooo much easier to get through.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2016, 08:32:05 PM »
So I just checked out some videos with AIC with William and i have to say he is awesome. I'd see them in a heartbeat if they came around here.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2016, 09:33:48 PM »
Going through high school as the grunge scene exploded here, I put AiC slightly behind Pearl Jam, and way above Nirvana and everyone else in grunge bands I listened to. Though my primary genre was classic rock back then.

There are maybe 5 songs I can remember when and where I was the first time I heard them. Don't Follow is one of them. The DJ didn't say the song name or artist, and pre-internet, it took forever to figure out what the song was. But I never forgot those chords, melodies and lyrics. Listening to that song now still gives me chills.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #332 on: September 13, 2016, 08:34:13 AM »
^Love that song^
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #333 on: September 23, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
The dark and depressing themes and moods are what makes AiC so great. They wouldn't work as a happy band imo.

Ding! This fella gets it!

I also find the bleakness uplifting. If I am having a terrible point in my life or whatever, I turn to AIC and they make it sooo much easier to get through.

So does this one, and I wholeheartedly agree.

There are maybe 5 songs I can remember when and where I was the first time I heard them. Don't Follow is one of them. The DJ didn't say the song name or artist, and pre-internet, it took forever to figure out what the song was. But I never forgot those chords, melodies and lyrics. Listening to that song now still gives me chills.

*Deb is getting goosebumps as she types*

The first time I heard "Don't Follow" I fell in love with Jerry's plaintive but heartfelt vocals... until Layne's kicked in. Good GOD that man could belt stuff out. It was about at "scared to death" that I almost started crying. Layne's tone was so dark, bleak, and depressingly beautiful. What a loss to the music world.

I might have posted this story - if not, I'll post it again. It's also related to Jar of Flies, but involves "No Excuses". I was still living with my dad at the time, and for some weird reason he was throwing me crap about how AiC was nothing but shit, death, evil... anyway... I made him listen to "No Excuses" while he read the lyrics. He apologized to me after the song was over. Dad usually never reacted like that either - I chalk it up to who he was with at the time exerting a not so nice influence on him. He figured it out.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2017, 05:59:25 AM »
I love Black gives way to blue from beginning to end, but with the exception of a few stand out tracks I don't think The devil put dinosaurs here is all that great.

I am definitely looking forward to what they will put out next and I am definitely planning on seeing them.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #335 on: March 26, 2017, 07:20:22 AM »
When dinosaurs came out I was very disappointed. I've warmed up to it a bit but I still consider it their weakest effort, some good songs but mostly mediocre.

Still exvited for everything new they will put out.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: March 26, 2017, 08:33:10 AM »
I think Jerry just got a little too stuck in his songwriting formula with Dinosaurs. And the production bothers me a lot too. Hopefully they think outside the box a little bit next time they release something.

Offline Art

« Reply #337 on: March 27, 2017, 06:08:00 AM »
I  Think dinosaurs could use some editing. There are good and even great songs in it, but a lot of filler, too.

My tracklist:

Hollow
Stone
Lab Monkey
TDPDH
Scalpel
Phantom Limb (my favorite)
Breath On a Window
Hung on a Hook

Offline Mladen

« Reply #338 on: March 27, 2017, 06:32:07 AM »
I'm still very disappointed by Dinosaurs. Even if I removed my least favorite songs, it would hardly be a great album.

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #339 on: March 27, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »
As has been pointed out in this thread, AiC albums can be quite bleak, but somehow I find their music to be uplifting in a weird way.
Sorry to be quoting and commenting on something from six months ago but I just saw this.  Their music was definitely bleak (and, beautifully so).  But, they definitely had a sense of humor. Check out YT for clips of them on MTV's Headbanger's Ball.  They spent one episode at Action Park (NJ water park) with the host.  Funny dudes! 

Out of all the Seattle bands from that time, they're the one I go back to the most.  'Facelift' is still in pretty heavy rotation for me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #340 on: March 27, 2017, 07:46:04 AM »
The action park clips are incredible and then there's another headbangers ball where its a goof on them "post success" and they are in this mansion with pipes and smoking jackets acting like rich snobs  :lol  Oh man I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhfjFqjoNY

Shit like that makes me love them even more.  :heart

Their music definitely has the bleak element to it, but man does it make me feel better when I am having a shitty day or shitty couple of days. There music helps alot on those darker days.

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
The action park clips are incredible and then there's another headbangers ball where its a goof on them "post success" and they are in this mansion with pipes and smoking jackets acting like rich snobs  :lol  Oh man I love it.
I wasn't sure if that was the same episode or not.  Haven't seen them since they originally aired.  If I remember correctly, they do a pretty good job of clowning Riki Rachtman.

I miss Layne's musical contributions a helluva lot more than Kurt Cobain's.  Their Unplugged is a favorite of mine.  He looks so frail.  But, his performance during it was still amazing.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Dinosaurs was a downer. I thought Phantom Limb, Stone, and Hollow were the best of the record. I thought the album was really missing a few aggressive tunes, which would have made the album a lot more dynamic.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »
WTF? What's with the dislike for Dinosaurs? I LOVE that album, especially Phantom Limb and the title track.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2017, 01:17:42 AM »
Where's the love for Low Ceiling?? Easily one of the best tracks on that album.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2017, 05:34:28 AM »
Standout tracks for me on dinosaurs:

1. Hallow
2. Stone - crazy addictive, gets stuck in my head for days  (I am not a cornerstone in a palace for you) GOD I love it
3. Voices - Just solid

4. Breath on a window- probably my favorite song on the album. That middle/end part where it shifts into a totally different song and that beautiful subtle guitar part as the song fades out  :heart

I also like Phantom limb, hung on a hook and choke

Offline dparrott

« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
Yeah I definitely get that the dark and depressing themes were what AIC were all about and what they did best,

AM I INSIDE!  They don't get much darker than that for me.  LOVE that song.    That riff maaaaan.....
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
So, for whatever reason. I never got around to buying the Tripod album until just now. Its not bad. Not on the level of the material that proceeded it, but Layne was going through a lot of shit at the time, so I am not going to be too judgmental.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #348 on: March 29, 2017, 06:15:28 PM »
WTF? What's with the dislike for Dinosaurs? I LOVE that album, especially Phantom Limb and the title track.

I like the title track, it is probably 4th for me. But after that, the record is just filler. It needed some more aggressive stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #349 on: March 29, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
The dino album is the only AIC album I can actually get through without going "meh" and turning it off. I absolutely love Stone.