Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 51772 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Alice In Chains
« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
Pretty much what has been said the last few posts is what the issue is with the new album. Basically one thing that would help is to incorporate DuVall more into the lead vocals as I've noted previously. Also would have helped to have a couple more up-tempo kick ass tunes to break up the mid-tempo or down-tempo songs that fill this album as it does get very samey over the long haul. They really needed something in the vein of Them Bones or We Die Young to slap you in the face along the way.

It's a good album but I feel like there's a lot more that Cantrell and the band can get out of their music and that is my only real disappointment. Having said that the new album is definitely a grower and gets much better given time to pick out the nuances of the individual tracks.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
Echoing the statements made in this thread about Dinos, I really cursed myself by wishing that every track sounded like Hollow, because...they're all far too similar for my tastes. It was a very odd experience for me because I really enjoyed every track...it's just that by the time it was over, I couldn't tell you what each track sounded like or what tracks stood out because they all sound so similar. Not a bad album, and I don't dislike it, but I doubt I'll even try to listen to it again because...well, Hollow was it for me. I dunno how else to explain it... I wasn't a HUGE AIC fan to begin with, and I've almost always picked out a few tracks here and there that I like off their albums and kinda latched onto that one (with the glaring exception of Jar Of Flies, which is entirely beautiful and perfect), and it looks like this will be no different. Very odd experience... On one hand, if they attempted to diversify, maybe the songs that were 'different' would have sucked, but I'd rather them take the chance than play it safe, which they obviously have, very much so.

Either way, they've clearly found their sound. Now they just need to expand it and diversify a bit. Here's hoping the next album will bring something different. This was a good effort, but I was bored halfway through because of the samey-ness of the songs.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »
It was a very odd experience for me because I really enjoyed every track...it's just that by the time it was over, I couldn't tell you what each track sounded like or what tracks stood out because they all sound so similar. Not a bad album, and I don't dislike it, but I doubt I'll even try to listen to it again...

This is pretty much how I feel as well. It's really weird. BGWTB was samey too, and yet I could tell you which song is which because the choruses and melodies were still really memorable. And at least that had some slower tunes like "When The Sun Rose Again" and the title track. I did like this album when I heard it, but I don't remember anything from it, and that's bumming me considering how much I love the last one.

I'm cool with the sound they're going with, I just wish they'll diversify a bit next time. Have the song change a bit in the middle like "All Secrets Known", have some atmospheric stripped down stuff like Jar Of Flies or the songs I mentioned before,  just... something.

So yeah, TDPDH isn't bad by any means, it's just that it's not very memorable and not anything we haven't heard them do before (and better). It's just kind of middle-of-the-road.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline adace

« Reply #283 on: July 25, 2013, 03:39:58 AM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »
So I discovered Nutsell last week while watching Unplugged for the first time. Probably one of my favorite songs ever. Just incredible.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #285 on: July 25, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #286 on: July 25, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
So I discovered Nutsell last week while watching Unplugged for the first time. Probably one of my favorite songs ever. Just incredible.

It really is one of the most beautiful songs ever.  :smiley:

Offline growthmusic57

« Reply #287 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »

It's an intense track for sure. One of their best! "I Stay Away" and "No Excuses" are equally good. Hell, all of Jar of Flies is great.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #288 on: August 10, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »

The unplugged version of Nutshell is FAR superior to the version on the Sap EP.  I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about how much more somber and melancholy it is.  What was sad about the Unplugged show, though, is that it painfully showed how frail Layne was.  The beginning of the end, really. :sad:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #289 on: August 25, 2013, 02:09:58 AM »
New to this thread, but been a huge fan for over half my life.

Nutshell is my favorite song from them.

TDPDH is an AMAZING album, cannot stop playing it. Favorite songs off it are Phantom Limb and Low Ceiling.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: August 25, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
I've been seriously into Sea of Sorrow lately.  Great track.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
Been listening to Black gives way to blue all day today. Absolutely love this album  :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2014, 04:42:42 PM »
I've been running a train on their whole discography lately too.

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is nearly tied with Dirt for best studio album, it's such a great album. Dirt probably beats it by a hair.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: June 04, 2014, 05:24:39 PM »

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is nearly tied with Dirt for best studio album, it's such a great album. Dirt probably beats it by a hair.
That's the first time I've heard someone be so positive about it. I was pretty disappointed with it, to be honest.

Offline adace

« Reply #294 on: June 04, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »
Devil is an amazing album but still not as good as BGWTB (my favorite one from them). Regardless, it's by far my 2013 AOTY.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #295 on: June 04, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »

That's the first time I've heard someone be so positive about it. I was pretty disappointed with it, to be honest.
Yeah it took a month or 2 to grow on me but when it hit, it hit hard!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #296 on: June 04, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
Devil is an amazing album but still not as good as BGWTB (my favorite one from them). Regardless, it's by far my 2013 AOTY.

About the same here. I love every song on BGWTB, but I only really like half of TDPDH, and even then, those tracks are hard to remember.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #297 on: June 05, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »
Low Ceiling and Phantom Limb are 2 of my favorite AIC tracks. Soo good!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #298 on: June 05, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »
Devil is great but I also like Black gives way to Blue better.

Just an amazing album from start to finish. It's going to be hard for them to top that one IMO but I hope they never ever stop making music!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
No Excuses acoustic at Guitar Center Session:
https://youtu.be/H6H_csNeZeY
They also did a great version of Your Decision acoustic but it's not online.  :(
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »
Seen the band several times, including their "Acoustic Hour" tour in 2007. Although I love the full power of their electric sets they always have sounded wonderful "unplugged" as well.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #301 on: April 18, 2015, 09:31:44 PM »
Bump

I've been listening to Unplugged a lot as of late.  I've always liked AIC but only got Unplugged recently and it's floored me.  Something vulnerable in Layne's voice that makes it bittersweet.

I guess it doesn't help since it's been a hair over 13 years since he died  :(
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
Rotten Apple is the most vulnerable I've heard from Layne and it's probably my favorite song they've ever recorded because of that. Followed up by Nutshell they're probably the darkest 1-2 punch in the catalog.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2015, 10:29:28 PM »
Funny this thread came up, I was on an AIC kick last week. Phantom Limb on repeat. Jar of Flies and BGWTB were in rotation too. I love Jar of Flies so much. Such a sad, somber and beautiful release.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: April 05, 2016, 09:33:30 PM »
Today being the 14th anniversary of Layne Staley's death, I thought it would be appropriate to bring this thread back around.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #305 on: September 03, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »
So I'm also one of those fans that came late to loving this band. Growing up on 70s hard rock and 80s metal, I was completely dismissive of anything 90s grunge. Big mistake because AiC totally hits the spot. It's like hippy metal with elements of psychedelia, a distinct sense of melody and some of the most unique harmonies I've ever heard.  Jerry Cantrell is like the Jimmy Page of this era.  :hat
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #306 on: September 03, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »
Facelift, Dirt and black gives way to blue have been on heavy rotation lately. Its been an Alice in chains summer  :metal

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #307 on: September 03, 2016, 07:29:32 PM »
I too was very anti-grunge for a long time, but I've since seen the light and realized there is some very good grunge out there, AIC included. I've been enjoying Facelift a lot recently, Confusion is such a cool song. Also, Jerry's solo in Man in the Box doesn't get enough credit. It's so cool and there's so many neat licks in there.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2016, 07:24:41 AM »
Alice In Chains isn't the typical grunge band (on the other hand, who is?). I think they were labeled as grunge mostly because they came from Seattle and didn't sound like a hair metal band.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2016, 07:38:59 AM »
I bought Facelift when it came out. I loved We Die Young. They actually reminded me of Armored Saint at the time
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »
I still don't understand the definition of grunge. For me they sound like an alternative rock band, sometimes hard rock.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #311 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
Great band, Facelift is my favorite album by them - Love, Hate, Love is dark as hell! :metal I love AIC's acoustic side too, and Jar of Flies might be the best EP I've ever heard. Layne's death was very unfortunate, but luckily they've managed to make good stuff with Duvall too.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #312 on: September 06, 2016, 02:50:57 AM »
I still don't understand the definition of grunge. For me they sound like an alternative rock band, sometimes hard rock.

I haven't understood it either to this day. The wikipedia description for instance doesn't really describe it in my opinion. I think every band that came out of Seattle end of 80s/beginning of 90s and every band that wore flanel shirts was labeled grunge.

Especially in AiC there's a lot of classic rock/hard rock/metal influence with an alternative touch.

Great band, Facelift is my favorite album by them - Love, Hate, Love is dark as hell! :metal I love AIC's acoustic side too, and Jar of Flies might be the best EP I've ever heard. Layne's death was very unfortunate, but luckily they've managed to make good stuff with Duvall too.

For me, Dirt is the best them. But the rest isn't shabby either. And yes, good stuff with Duvall but some of the magic of the earlier records is missing. And they could release an album more often than every five or so years.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: September 06, 2016, 11:04:04 AM »
Dirt is my favorite as well, and I would put Facelift second. I love all of their albums up to The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, which was kind of a letdown for me. I feel like Jerry got stuck in a bit of a rut, songwriting-wise.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #314 on: September 07, 2016, 12:37:55 AM »
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here was a big letdown when I first heard it. It has grown on me a bit and now I think it's a good record, but I still consider it the least best of AiC. Too much plodding songs, too few exciting riffs, there's just something missing.

My ranking would probably look like this:

Dirt
Alice In Chains
Facelift
Jar Of Flies (EP)
Black Gives Way To Blue
Sap (EP)
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here