Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 51520 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Alice In Chains
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »
I don't know, adace - BGWtB seems to be more of a grower for me than what I've heard from TDPDH so far.

Offline adace

« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2013, 10:39:10 PM »
I guess my main issue is that BGWtB feels more concise than this record which is why that one clicked more easily with me. That plus BGWtB is one of my all-time favorite records (so yeah, I'm pretty biased there :laugh:).

But anyways, I've been playing the new one some more and I'm digging it more and more. There's really not a bad moment on it and the production is fantastic like on the last one.

I'm leaning towards a 9.5/10 at the moment. This'll make my top 5 list for 2013 easily.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »
You know what, though?  In anything, it's always "your mileage may vary". :)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »
That plus BGWtB is one of my all-time favorite records.

Damn right!  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline adace

« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2013, 10:49:18 PM »
You know what, though?  In anything, it's always "your mileage may vary". :)
Wise words. :tup

Offline adace

« Reply #250 on: May 25, 2013, 04:56:10 AM »
Duvall's vocals on "Hung on a Hook" are just something else. So haunting. Definitely adding that to my list of highlights. Ditto for "Breath on a Window." Such an amazing ending to that song.

Also gotta give major props to "Choke." Definitely has a "Down in a Hole" vibe to it. Perfect album closer.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:03:43 PM by adace »

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #251 on: May 26, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »
PHANTOM LIMB :omg: :hefdaddy

Offline adace

« Reply #252 on: May 27, 2013, 02:39:25 AM »
Album lyrics are all up in anyone's interested.
https://lyrics.wikia.com/Alice_In_Chains:The_Devil_Put_Dinosaurs_Here_%282013%29

Also, this is my 1000th post! :hat

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2013, 01:06:18 AM »

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2013, 01:22:51 AM »
Also "Hung on A Hook" :heart is one of their best since coming back IMO. I love Jerry's vocals too but IMO it's time the band let's Duvall show what he can do more often as the lead vocal (the guy has a really strong, killer voice).

Jerry has plenty he can focus on within the band... writing music, riffs, ripping solos and those amazing vocal harmonies the band is famous for. I know Duvall likely feels fine with his position in the band but the guy can really sing and I think the band would be better off with at least, more of a mix of the two leading the vocals. JMO.

Offline adace

« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2013, 03:53:54 AM »
The more I listen to this album the harder it is to find fault with it. Unless Black Sabbath pull solid gold out their ass with 13 (pretty unlikely from what I've heard so far), TDPDH will most likely end being my AOTY.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #256 on: May 28, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »
I agree. It´s a fantastic album, in my book.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
Great album  :metal

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
Totally agreed.  IMO, it's eons better than BGWtB.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2013, 08:53:19 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »

Just bought TDPDH. Considering BGWtB is one of my favorite albums of all time, yu're making me very excited to get into this new one.  ;D

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :hefdaddy

Just bought TDPDH. Considering BGWtB is one of my favorite albums of all time, yu're making me very excited to get into this new one.  ;D

Sorry - I just don't think very highly of BGWtB.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »
Yeah, having actually listened to it now, I think I'm in the complete opposite boat from you. The album's alright, but overall it sounds like a much inferior version of BGWtB. It's like they made more of the same, but a few of the songs are missing the great hooks, riffs and choruses that made the other great. I still enjoy 2/3 of the album though.

And the packaging is just really cool, with the red jewel case and such.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
Yeah, having actually listened to it now, I think I'm in the complete opposite boat from you. The album's alright, but overall it sounds like a much inferior version of BGWtB. It's like they made more of the same, but a few of the songs are missing the great hooks, riffs and choruses that made the other great. I still enjoy 2/3 of the album though.

And the packaging is just really cool, with the red jewel case and such.

I really liked BGWtB and I can agree to some extent that TDPDH is by far more of a grower. I like both but feel like TDPDH will be one for me that I have to listen off and on to get into more. It had some songs that clicked with me right away (Stone, Phantom Limb, Lab Monkey, Hung On a Hook) but it didn't grab me instantly quite as strongly as BGWtB as an album. Just my initial impression.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
The single sounded like usual AiC. Which is good. Will check out the album, and from what I hear from people.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »
I'm liking the album so far, but man, I wish it wasn't so brickwalled. Makes it hard to listen to.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #267 on: May 30, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. :)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #268 on: May 30, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
So for some reason I am now listening to Dirt for the first time. My reaction:  :omg: :metal :omg: :metal :omg: HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD THIS SOONER?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #269 on: May 30, 2013, 03:34:59 PM »
If it makes you feel better, I also got into Alice in chains this spring. It took me years and many, many friends to make me realize this stuff is really good. I enjoyed Dirt the most, although I also love the bleakness and heaviness of their self titled album.

Looking forward to the new one...

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2013, 03:35:23 PM »

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. :)

;D It's all cool. At the very least, I still think the new one's a great release.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
So for some reason I am now listening to Dirt for the first time. My reaction:  :omg: :metal :omg: :metal :omg: HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD THIS SOONER?

Seriously?  You've NEVER heard Dirt until yesterday?!  SCROPPIE, WHERE HAS YUO BEN??!?!11?!? :eek :biggrin:

Dirt is fucking amazing. :metal

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »
Dirt is fucking amazing. :metal

Understatement
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2013, 10:01:30 PM »
Yeah, I know it is - but, words haven't been invented to describe how mindblowing the experience is.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Second listen. Hung On A Hook and Choke are an awesome one-two punch as the album closers.  :metal

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #275 on: June 02, 2013, 07:12:16 AM »
Dirt is amazing...I´ve performed ´Would´ live once....that was an experience as well....  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #276 on: June 03, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
Dirt is amazing...I´ve performed ´Would´ live once....that was an experience as well....  :metal

Awesome... :2metal:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2013, 07:25:40 AM »
So even I finally got around to buying this album. I've listened now three times and must say so far I'm not convinced.

Most of the songs sound kind of samey and just plod along. Where are the riffs that made for so many great songs? This sounds to me more like singer-/songwriter stuff played with distorted guitars than riff-oriented energetic rock music. And to use those vocal harmonies is nice and they are some kind of trademark sound but to use them in almost every song in every verse and every chorus and every fucking bridge? That totally kills any dynamic, at least for my ears.

So far only Phantom Limb sounds good because it has a great riff and sounds much more lively than the rest.

Hopefully this will grow on me, because it would be a shame if this would stay subpar, considering that the next album will mostly not come out for the next five to ten years, if at all.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »
Most of the songs sound kind of samey and just plod along. Where are the riffs that made for so many great songs? This sounds to me more like singer-/songwriter stuff played with distorted guitars than riff-oriented energetic rock music. And to use those vocal harmonies is nice and they are some kind of trademark sound but to use them in almost every song in every verse and every chorus and every fucking bridge? That totally kills any dynamic, at least for my ears.
That is my biggest complaint with their new material. Sure, it's a signature sound, but it's nice to actually hear one singer's voice once in a while, not just a wall of sound. And they certainly did it much less back in the day. Let Duvall actually sing some more on his own, I say.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
That is my biggest complaint with their new material. Sure, it's a signature sound, but it's nice to actually hear one singer's voice once in a while, not just a wall of sound. And they certainly did it much less back in the day. Let Duvall actually sing some more on his own, I say.
I agree with this. "Hung on a Hook" is one of my favorites from this album because of Duvall. Same with "Last Of My Kind" from BGWTB. He needs more chances to shine by himself and I hope Jerry gives it to him next time.

That said, this album is really growing on me. At first, I was disappointed. It was very samey, but repeated listens have shown that despite that, the songs are very good. Maybe not amazing, well, a few get pretty close actually. It's not the best and I don't think it's as good as Facelift or BGWTB, but I like it more than tripod. This is another solid entry in their discography. I do hope next time they try and mix things up more, hopefully with more Duvall-centric songs.

My rankings:
1. Lab Monkey
2. Phantom Limb
3. Stone
4. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
5. Hung On A Hook
6. Choke
7. Pretty Done
8. Breath On A Window
9. Voices
10. Hollow
11. Low Ceiling
12. Scalpel

Those first 6 are all pretty close, actually.