Author Topic: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts  (Read 72802 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
Congrats, sort of.  I've gotten that call a few times myself, and it always feels like a consolation prize.  "We picked someone else, but we'll keep your resume because we might have something for you later."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »
Threadromancy!!

Anyway, time for some additions based on recent interviewees:

---
DO: Answer questions completely but concisely
DON'T:  Just keep talking and talking, drifting further and further from the stated question, hoping that you'll say something the interviewer wants to hear

---
DO: Go in having done your research on the company, to a point where you can ask intelligent questions or make proper references to the company's business situation/needs.

---
BE CAREFUL ABOUT:  Changing your answer about a given topic from one interviewer to the next...it will come out that you just incorporated the first interviewer's comments into your answer next time around.  OK to improve the manner in which you answer, but significant changes to substance will raise eyebrows.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
Millahh, has anyone ever overcome one of your "donts" to still get the job?

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
BE CAREFUL ABOUT:  Changing your answer about a given topic from one interviewer to the next...it will come out that you just incorporated the first interviewer's comments into your answer next time around.  OK to improve the manner in which you answer, but significant changes to substance will raise eyebrows.

I'd be interested to hear you expand upon this point a little bit, if possible. Taken at face value, I feel like there's a fine line between taking the first interviewer's comments and incorporating that into future answers and completely changing answers. Could make it tough to determine where that line is at times.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2016, 10:26:39 AM »
Millahh, has anyone ever overcome one of your "donts" to still get the job?

Yes (the guy who did all the stalling in his presentation)...but he was our third choice.

I'd be interested to hear you expand upon this point a little bit, if possible. Taken at face value, I feel like there's a fine line between taking the first interviewer's comments and incorporating that into future answers and completely changing answers. Could make it tough to determine where that line is at times.

Here's a different way to think about it...it's not a good look to use a discussion from one interviewer to try and bullshit your way through a similar question from a later interviewer.  It casts a negative light. I'd rather the candidate be more straightforward.  I'm ok with refining the response or changing the framing, that's not unexpected.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »
I definitely agree with the "Be Yourself."

I am attending college right now and I have a part time job at Starbucks (I LOVE Starbucks lol) and when I was interviewed, I found the process to be waaaay easier when I just spoke the truth. I answered briefly, but concise and to the point and I found it to be way easier to not be tongue tied and stutter, trying to say the "correct" answer the interviewer wants you to hear.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2016, 02:07:13 PM »
I definitely agree with the "Be Yourself."

I am attending college right now and I have a part time job at Starbucks (I LOVE Starbucks lol) and when I was interviewed, I found the process to be waaaay easier when I just spoke the truth. I answered briefly, but concise and to the point and I found it to be way easier to not be tongue tied and stutter, trying to say the "correct" answer the interviewer wants you to hear.

"Speaking the truth" and "being yourself" aren't really the same thing, though.  It's more about being AUTHENTIC.   We are all multifaceted people; I do not waste a lot of time "being myself", but I do try to make sure I am being true to myself.   I'm probably splitting microhairs, here, but I don't really care if people get my sensitive side, or my (admittedly odd) humor, or gets that I love music, but I do want them to leave thinking "that guy is genuine". 

As for overcoming faults, everyone can, it's all a subjective thing to start with, but the trick is to simply try to improve your odds as best you can.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2016, 07:34:32 PM »
Just read through this whole thread.  Really good information, here, and it helps me learn as well since I'm taking a Business Communications class and we're on the topic of job interviewing and the information, itt, pretty much is what the text stated on the Do's and Don'ts.

I bookmarked this thread and hope that it helps me in the future when I got to go through with this process.

Well then.  2.5 years after making this post and I finally got an interview.  So now I got some questions.  If the interviewer takes you out to lunch, do you have to pay for the bill?  Also, regarding the whole ask them a question.  Asking them how they got their start and how they manage to be in the position they are in is appropriate right?

Offline 7th

« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »
Just read through this whole thread.  Really good information, here, and it helps me learn as well since I'm taking a Business Communications class and we're on the topic of job interviewing and the information, itt, pretty much is what the text stated on the Do's and Don'ts.

I bookmarked this thread and hope that it helps me in the future when I got to go through with this process.

Well then.  2.5 years after making this post and I finally got an interview.  So now I got some questions.  If the interviewer takes you out to lunch, do you have to pay for the bill?  Also, regarding the whole ask them a question.  Asking them how they got their start and how they manage to be in the position they are in is appropriate right?

It depends.  A casual sandwich with a "manager" or "supervisor" type would mean each pays for their own, but a sit-down lunch with executives or HR would generally go on their company card unless otherwise specified.  I think it is always safest to assume you may have to pay for your own but you will not have to pay for theirs.  Remember, they are attracting you and you are interviewing them
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »
Ditto.  Any time someone in a position of power takes you to lunch (someone interviewing you, a manager or other boss, etc.) they invited you, thus they will pay.  Unless it's some kind of really twisted setup and they're testing you to see if you'll offer to pay or something, but that would be weird.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2016, 07:16:53 AM »
I can't imagine a situation where lunch is part of the interview, and the applicant would be expected to pay anything... And unless there was a damn good reason for it, it would raise red flags about the place. 

Now, if it's just a networking discussion, you should absolutely pay... But that's not an interview.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »

I think that is a very appropriate question.  My rule of thumb:  don't ask ANYTHING you can get from a website, or another, more junior, interviewer.  It's always dicey to try to suss out hierarchy on the fly, but sometimes that can help you.

Don't be yourself, be your most productive, professional version of yourself.   In other words, be authentic, but don't let your guard down.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »
And here with the Counterpoint is Orbert

Thank you.  First of all, Stadler is correct.  I've done it that way and it works well.  But here's a fun story about how I took exactly the opposite approach and it still worked.

I'd been working at one of the big airlines in the 90's when business was good, travel was up, money was flowing in.  In the 00's, ("post 9/11") it all came apart, airlines took a huge hit, and after bankruptcy cutting my pay three times and my benefits twice, I starting looking at contracting gigs.  I wasn't sure how badly I wanted it or needed it, so I only took it half seriously.  I got set up for a phone interview with some company in the burbs needing a programmer.  I took the morning off from work to do the phone interview from home, then I'd go in after lunch.  The beauty and irony of taking company time to find another job secretly made me chuckle.  Anyway, the kids went to school, wife went to work, and I visited my secret stash on the top shelf of the closet, and went outside the back door to smoke.

I came back in, made another cup of coffee, and did the phone interview.  I was (obviously) quite relaxed and "myself" but a modified version of myself.  They asked a lot of questions technical, business, semi-personal, all that.  I answered honestly.  I mentally put myself at a party, chatting with some guys I'd just met about work at our respective places, comparing notes and shit.  They asked in a general way how to write efficient code. A magnificently open-ended yet specific question.  Well, judicious use of the DROP and KEEP statements, knowing when to use an IF and when to use a WHERE is huge, paying attention to sort order and which variables are involved, always keeping in mind whether you're going to be summarizing later, so maybe you can kill multiple birds simultaneously by creating multiple datasets now.  You know, the regular stuff.

Silence for a few seconds.  There were three of them on the other side, sitting in a room on a speakerphone, and they'd just muted it and were talking amongst themselves.  I'd either just blown them away or blown my shot with them, and I was too stoned to really know which.  I took another sip of my coffee.

They came back on, they thought that that was a great answer.  I told them Thanks, you know I've been doing this for ten years now, I guess I'm getting pretty good at it.  They said Yeah, we can tell.  But it wasn't a cynical thing, they were just acknowledging that I seemed to know what the fuck I was talking about.  I decided to go for broke.  I went faux-modest with them as I embarrassingly admitted to copping a few awards from various departments who all thought I was pretty good, and as far as I know, I could come work for you guys and do the same thing.  Most of it was right there on my resume, which they were all sitting there holding.

More silence.  They wanted me to come in and talk with them in person.  Is Wednesday okay?  This was Monday.  Sure.  I'd been working at my current job for just shy of 10 years, and decided somewhere in there to stop cutting my hair.  I'd already gone full "Asian-looking Guy" and I wasn't going to cut it for an interview, something I would've done 10 years ago.  I took Wednesday morning off (because fuck them), visited the top shelf again, and drove up to do the interview.  I washed my hair and wore it long that day.

I got the job.  They said they'd get back to me, but I got a call the next day.  They said they'd wanted to make a decision before the end of the week.  Ha!  You fucking liars.  You started phone screening people three days ago.  You just saw me yesterday.  You want me.  You want to fellate me, admit it, and you want to do it before someone else gets a chance to.  (Plus I work there now and know that there's no way it goes this fast.)

Anyway, it can work.  I just got my super cool stupid gift commemorating 10 years at my current job.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:32:25 AM by Orbert »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #223 on: December 30, 2016, 11:32:38 AM »
I can't imagine a situation where lunch is part of the interview, and the applicant would be expected to pay anything... And unless there was a damn good reason for it, it would raise red flags about the place. 

Now, if it's just a networking discussion, you should absolutely pay... But that's not an interview.

Try working with the government, it gets hella complicated. Whenever we have them visit us, we just order in a lunch buffet to make it easy and give everybody food options.
However, we are not allowed to give them anything for free, as that could be considered a bribe, so we always have a small jar that all the government people drop a token $20 into, just to satisfy regulations.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #224 on: December 30, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »
That's silly.  "We're throwing lunch, and you're invited.  It costs this much per person, and by the way, we really like you.  That's a nice tie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »
Orbert, what did you get for your 10 year? I had mine in 2016 as well, and I got a telescope. ($80 worth, but still)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2016, 12:12:29 PM »
Orbert, what did you get for your 10 year? I had mine in 2016 as well, and I got a telescope. ($80 worth, but still)

I got a crummy pen set at 5, but there was a big change (one of many big changes, as it was nominally two companies later due to M&A)...and I got a $250 gift card at 10 yr, and bought a new acoustic guitar with it.

Regarding who pays what, I'm referring exclusively to situations where you are being interviewed for employment...where I think the interviewing company should be paying.  I understand having to tread very carefully on anything that could be construed as a gift/bribe/kickback...I work a]in pharma, and even though I'm in R&D, we all get the same training as the salespeople about that stuff.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #227 on: December 30, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »
Don't be yourself, be your most productive, professional version of yourself.   In other words, be authentic, but don't let your guard down.

This is a very concise statement of probably 3/4 of what my do/don't posts have been...just behave like a professional.  It amazes me how much this eludes people who should know better (most of the examples I listed were with PhDs who had a few years experience).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »

I got a crummy pen set at 5, but there was a big change (one of many big changes, as it was nominally two companies later due to M&A)...and I got a $250 gift card at 10 yr, and bought a new acoustic guitar with it.

Winner. :tup

For my 10-year, I picked a duffel bag, a pretty nice one, to use as a cord bag for gigs.  It's big enough to fit all my cords and pedals comfortably, plus the sax stand, meaning one less thing to carry.  Big double zipper, a couple of good-sized outside compartments as well, perfect for what I need.  I don't wear a watch anymore, don't wear ties either so the tie pins were useless, in fact any kind of jewelry was automatically out, didn't want a stupid plaque thing or other "trophy" thing, so I went practical.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »
Well, finished the interview a few hours ago, I think I did all right.  Sadly, I flubbed on one accounting-related question that I just remember the answer now.

So, how soon should I construct the thank-you email and how do I format it?  Also, should I mention the answer to the question I flubbed on in the email?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
Anyway, the kids went to school, wife went to work, and I visited my secret stash on the top shelf of the closet, and went outside the back door to smoke.
... I took Wednesday morning off (because fuck them), visited the top shelf again, and drove up to do the interview

Damn Orbert you are the man  :lol as much as I love to hit the secret stash, I don't think I have the balls to do so before an interview. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
Well, as I said, I wasn't sure how badly I wanted the job (giving up a salaried position for a contract gig scared the hell out of me), so I decided to have some fun with it.  The phone interview went so well, I figured I'd go for broke.

I remember thinking that at the very least, I will likely be unlike anything they'd ever seen before, and laughed to myself wondering if they'd notice my "Chinese eyes", but figured probably not because I am in fact Chinese and they'd be too busy freaking out about my Fu Manchu and ponytail.

It worked for me because for I generally retain aptitude and subject knowledge, and I know that that's not the case for most people.  I remember in particular, they asked me about one thing on the resume that I said I had experience in, and I do, but it was literally just running programs that someone else had written, and I had to fix one parameter one time.  I never wrote anything from scratch or anything like that (VBA if you're curious; I hate that shit, never took a class or anything).  They asked me about it, and I told them exactly that, and confessed that I'd put it on the resume hoping to score a few more interviews, and while I did have "some experience" with it, I wasn't going to lie and claim to be an expert or anything, and I laughed.  We're just guys at a party, shooting the shit, you know?

They seemed impressed that I would be so blunt about something like that.  What, he admits to not being an expert and only putting it on the resume to score more interviews?  First of all, it's always a mistake to lie in an interview.  Maybe the truth will come out, maybe not, but if it does, you look really bad.  And maybe it doesn't even cost you the job, but someone will remember that you lied, misrepresented yourself, and it could cost you future promotions.  The other thing is never to lie when you're stoned.  That weaves a web I cannot be bothered with, so I just don't.  It's easier that way.  So I had two good reasons to just be straight with these guys, and I think they liked that.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
Well, finished the interview a few hours ago, I think I did all right.  Sadly, I flubbed on one accounting-related question that I just remember the answer now.

So, how soon should I construct the thank-you email and how do I format it?  Also, should I mention the answer to the question I flubbed on in the email?

I realize this is a bit late but:

-As early as that evening, and as late as about 2 days later should be fine for an email
-Don't have much comment about format, other than to lead with thanking them for their time, and then following with something specific that interested you or that you found appealing.  This could also be a good spot to address the flubbed question.  Personally, I wouldn't see an issue with it (and would see it as a positive), but would be interested in what others think.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »
So last week I took a drug test for a new job. I drank a couple glasses of water that afternoon because I wanted to make sure I could go when I got there for the test. Today I got a call from the woman who interviewed me, telling me that my test came back as "negative - dilute." Now she's checking with her HR director to see what the next step is. I'm going to be really upset if I can't just go take the test again, because there's absolutely nothing in my system that I'm trying to hide.

So, I guess... don't stay hydrated, folks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
So last week I took a drug test for a new job. I drank a couple glasses of water that afternoon because I wanted to make sure I could go when I got there for the test. Today I got a call from the woman who interviewed me, telling me that my test came back as "negative - dilute." Now she's checking with her HR director to see what the next step is. I'm going to be really upset if I can't just go take the test again, because there's absolutely nothing in my system that I'm trying to hide.

That's so lame.  Got to wonder how much did you drink though?  :lol  People do lots of things to dilute their piss to pass a test hence why they pick up on these things, but it's totally possible to be diluted naturally from drinking lots of water so it shouldn't be something to hold you back, but maybe retest. 

The first time I had to take a piss test, I didn't have to go.  I think I chilled there for an hour just chugging water and drinking coffee and finally I had the urine to pee  :lol it was pretty embarrassing. ( I passed btw)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »
I had to do the same thing cramx3. Took about an hour for me.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »

That's so lame.  Got to wonder how much did you drink though?  :lol  People do lots of things to dilute their piss to pass a test hence why they pick up on these things, but it's totally possible to be diluted naturally from drinking lots of water so it shouldn't be something to hold you back, but maybe retest. 

The first time I had to take a piss test, I didn't have to go.  I think I chilled there for an hour just chugging water and drinking coffee and finally I had the urine to pee  :lol it was pretty embarrassing. ( I passed btw)
I drank two 16oz glasses of water over the course of a couple hours leading up to the test that afternoon. And I drank one when I first woke up that morning. That's totally normal for my day to day life. But apparently I'm too hydrated for these tests.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

I drank two 16oz glasses of water over the course of a couple hours leading up to the test that afternoon. And I drank one when I first woke up that morning. That's totally normal for my day to day life. But apparently I'm too hydrated for these tests.

Yea that doesn't seem like much to me either

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »

So they called me today and made me go immediately to take another test. I figured it was coming so I drank pretty much nothing today so as to avoid the dilution issue. Everything should be good to go now, thank god.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2017, 01:21:27 PM »

So they called me today and made me go immediately to take another test. I figured it was coming so I drank pretty much nothing today so as to avoid the dilution issue. Everything should be good to go now, thank god.

Drug tests really irritate me. The guy a few cubes down from me can't go a lunch break without getting a beer or two somewhere in the city, and he hits up a different happy hour every day after work, but if I want to smoke a joint once I'm home, that makes me kind of incompetent employee. I hate my job, and I haven't smoked in nearly four months now simply due to the off chance I might see a listing that catches my eye for something I'm actually interested in.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:34:34 PM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

Drug tests really irritate me. The guy a few cubes down from me can't go a lunch break without getting a beer a beer to two somewhere in the city, and he hits up a different happy hour every day after work, but if I want to smoke a joint once I'm home, that makes me kind of incompetent employee. I hate my job, and I haven't smoked in nearly four months now simply due to the off chance I might see a listing that catches my eye for something I'm actually interested in.

Not only that, but drug tests have shown to make no difference.  People can pretty easily cheat them or just abstain for a period to pass and then continue once they get the job. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »

Drug tests really irritate me. The guy a few cubes down from me can't go a lunch break without getting a beer a beer to two somewhere in the city, and he hits up a different happy hour every day after work, but if I want to smoke a joint once I'm home, that makes me kind of incompetent employee. I hate my job, and I haven't smoked in nearly four months now simply due to the off chance I might see a listing that catches my eye for something I'm actually interested in.

Not only that, but drug tests have shown to make no difference.  People can pretty easily cheat them or just abstain for a period to pass and then continue once they get the job.

As soon as I got the call saying I was hired, I celebrated by driving to the local head shop and buying $350 worth of fresh glass  :lol It's so stupid. I can understand if you were applying to a place where heavy machinery, cutting open hearts, or flying planes was involved, but for a desk job, does it really matter? I'm here promptly at 7:30 every morning and haven't had a single deliverable be late in the 2 years I've been here. I feel like that's all that should matter. 

It's primarily the insurance companies. They offer you better rates if you test your employees. Less chance of them having to pay a claim for an accident.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
My company is private, but likely to go public soon.  My boss has said he is worried they will implement drug testing once going public.  I don't think so, the company would fold.  Tech companies are filled with stoners and pill poppers.  Our competitors facebook and google don't drug test because it would severely limit the talent pool.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »
My company is private, but likely to go public soon.  My boss has said he is worried they will implement drug testing once going public.  I don't think so, the company would fold.  Tech companies are filled with stoners and pill poppers.  Our competitors facebook and google don't drug test because it would severely limit the talent pool.

The FBI and CIA can't find top notch IT security personnel because they lose them all to Cali. Silicon valley doesn't control their personal habits outside of work. If you've smoked pot within the last three years, you can't work for the FBI. I think it was in Bloomberg, but I was reading something a few months ago that was talking about how a lot of the engineers and coders at google and facebook take tiny doses of LSD before their shifts to get the creative juices flowing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »

The FBI and CIA can't find top notch IT security personnel because they lose them all to Cali. Silicon valley doesn't control their personal habits outside of work. If you've smoked pot within the last three years, you can't work for the FBI. I think it was in Bloomberg, but I was reading something a few months ago that was talking about how a lot of the engineers and coders at google and facebook take tiny doses of LSD before their shifts to get the creative juices flowing.

lol

When I first started here it was crazy busy and understaffed and we worked like dogs.  Overnight weekends whatever.  I'm very much against doing any drugs besides marijuana personally, but my boss had told me a lot of people in the office were regularly taking uppers to be able to handle the work loads and stay awake.  I personally find that unhealthy and not cool, but luckily we've broken out of the start up phase.