Author Topic: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts  (Read 72805 times)

Offline Grizz

Re: Job Interviewing - Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »
DON’T:  Have the email address be with AOL.
But... but... that's my impersonal email! I have it exactly for these sorts of things.

:biggrin:
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2014, 01:26:17 AM »
Seriously, how does Blob not have a girlfriend? How is that even possible?

Hm, maybe I should start interviewing for the position. But I swear, if they use their boyfriend's emails, they're not getting the job.

:lol   Maybe a dude wants somethin, somethin. 

WE ARE NOT A MATCH!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2014, 05:56:07 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
Back to the original topic, not sure I mentioned this here, but I interviewed two weeks ago with a music software company. Very weird, seriously. On the one hand, the guys I interviewed with were pretty nice, and what the company does would have been really cool to work on (mastering, mixing software etc). But, a couple of things were really off:

1. I had the impression they had forgotten about me after the phone screen. Two weeks later I sent an email to their HR asking what the status is, and then suddenly they invited me over
2. The third guy I interviewed with was suuuuper-absent minded. To be honest, I did not have the impression he was super-interested in interviewing me. And the best part is, on that day they had free pizza at lunch. So, I'm talking to this guy for 10 minutes, and then (after they announced the pizza arrived) he tells me "oh, I really want to have some of that pizza btw. Why don't you wait in this office until I'm done.". So, I'm sitting 15 minutes alone in that office, playing with my phone.
3. At the end of the interview, the HR doesn't even bother with a wrap-up (which in my experience is total standard). I actually asked the receptionist whether I should talk to the HR person, she says "let me check". The HR office was maybe 6 feet away from where I was, and the HR person did not even bother coming out. The receptionist just returned, saying "No, you're finished".
4. This was 2 weeks ago, and I have heard absolutely zilch from them. I actually sent an email to the same HR person as before on Monday, inquiring on the status of things. Have yet to hear back, total radio silence.

I am certainly mentally over them at this point. The other issue is that I looked at glassdoor.com about their salaries, and assuming they are accurate, they are abysmal. I'm fine with taking a step down since I would be switching industries, but it would approach almost half the money of what I earn right now.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:55:42 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
Sounds like the job might be cool, but the people you'd be working for/with are morons.  Also the salary issue.

Years ago, when I left teaching to make real money as a programmer, I'd interviewed with a number of school districts and got to see a nice cross-section of the state of classroom technology circa 1995.  One of the nicer schools that interviewed me had some pretty cool tech, including a lecture hall, auditorium style, with 200 PC workstations built into individual desks.  Very nice, especially considering the times.  I was told that it was a new position, teaching computer science full time (not all schools were there yet) and there were only three candidates.  I was pretty pscyhed.  They said they'd call me.

After a week, I couldn't wait any longer, and called the office to see if they'd made a decision, or were doing second interviews or what, but the person I needed to speak to wasn't in.  But they'd call me.  Another few days later, I called again, and by this time the district offices were closed for the summer and I got a recording.  That was the only number I had.  They never did call me back, and I never bothered following up.  I ended up taking an entry level programming position for $5K more than the best teaching offer I had on the table.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
Back to the original topic, not sure I mentioned this here, but I interviewed two weeks ago with a music software company. Very weird, seriously. On the one hand, the guys I interviewed with were pretty nice, and what the company does would have been really cool to work on (mastering, mixing software etc). But, a couple of things were really off:

1. I had the impression they had forgotten about me after the phone screen. Two weeks later I sent an email to their HR asking what the status is, and then suddenly they invited me over
2. The third guy I interviewed with was suuuuper-absent minded. To be honest, I did not have the impression he was super-interested in interviewing me. And the best part is, on that day they had free pizza at lunch. So, I'm talking to this guy for 10 minutes, and then (after they announced the pizza arrived) he tells me "oh, I really want to have some of that pizza btw. Why don't you wait in this office until I'm done.". So, I'm sitting 15 minutes alone in that office, playing with my phone.
3. At the end of the interview, the HR doesn't even bother with a wrap-up (which in my experience is total standard). I actually asked the receptionist whether I should talk to the HR person, she says "let me check". The HR office was maybe 6 feet away from where I was, and the HR person did not even bother coming out. The receptionist just returned, saying "No, you're finished".
4. This was 2 weeks ago, and I have heard absolutely zilch from them. I actually sent an email to the same HR person as before on Monday, inquiring on the status of things. Have yet to hear back, total radio silence.

I am certainly mentally over them at this point. The other issue is that I looked at glassdoor.com about their salaries, and assuming they are accurate, they are abysmal. I'm fine with taking a step down since I would be switching industries, but it would approach almost half the money of what I earn right now.

Rumby..as a former labor attorney, I spent eons working with HR people. A few things to point out...most people have NO idea how to interview people. They simply are not trained on what questions to ask; and if they are, most of them are clueless as to why they would ask them to begin with. A lot of HR people are also clueless. Keep in mind too, that an interview is also a way for the company to sell themselves to you, the candidate. If you got the feeling during the interview that they were going through the motions, and they treated you with less than the enthusiasm you deserve, then you are totally right. The fact that the guy didn't at least offer to have you join him for pizza speaks volumes. What a great opportunity that could have been for you to see people in the company interact in a setting with their guard down, so that you could really see the culture there for what it was. I would have been pissed and left. I would have gone to the receptionist and told her to tell the guys boss that, "Obviously lunch was more important than filling the position with an excellent candidate", then walked out. Extremely rude. But that should tell you something about the people you'd be working with.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
Good point. As I read through thats exactly what I thought. If the interviewer wanted some pizza, fine but he/she should have offered you some or an opportunity to join them. The fact that they dodnt speaks volumes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that he *did* in fact offer me pizza. However, I was not hungry at all so I told him that, and then he disappeared for the 15 minutes. When I said I wasn't hungry I assumed he would get some pizza and immediately come back, or just have me sit at the table where he would eat the pizza, so we could continue talking.

But, they eventually replied to my email inquiry, like 4 days later. They said they would make a decision some time next week.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2014, 11:14:09 AM »
That was my point. Not that he offer you some pizza, but he offer you to "join" him for pizza. Doesn't mean you had to eat any, but you could have continued your conversation. Guy sounds like an idiot. I mean who just leaves someone in a room they're interviewing to go it? Ridiculous.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
DO

Try your best. Dress Smart. Be Polite. Make Eye Contact. Answer all questions in full and in depth. Get on well with complete strangers. Shake their hand.

DON'T

Get the job.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
Since we've taken a bit of a detour into the utter uselessness of HR...

I figure some of you folks are (or will someday be) managers/directors/supervisors, and as such will have to deal with challenging people/situations.  Based on my experience, my advice is:  Document everything.  In the eyes of HR, if it isn't documented, it didn't happen.  If you're having trouble with someone and finally hit your breaking point and go to HR, they will basically tell you "tough shit" if you don't have records of relevant conversations and incidents...you're effectively starting from zero when you go talk to them.  I learned my lesson early, and have a few notes from every 1:1 conversation I have with my direct reports, as you never really know what will be significant later; that conversation that you think is just a little nudge in the right direction may actually be the the first step towards being able to take action...but only if you've got records.

The fundamental state of HR is one of stasis.  They don't want to do something or get their hands dirty unless it is utterly unavoidable.  They have a very high coefficient of friction, so to speak.  So not only do you have to pave the road for them, you also need to lead them to the right outcome, almost leaving them no choice.

Not that I'm frustrated with them or anything...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
I think the fundamental state of HR is to implement embarrassing social events such as trust falls.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »
Not to derail this thread any further, but a quick comment or two about documenting conversations etc. Most supervisors fail to document events that occur. Instead, they go to HR and say "Biff is a dumbfuck. He needs to be taken out back, castrated, and shot in the face with a bazooka. We hate Biff. He is a worthless, mouth breathing piece of shit and he needs to be fired. Yesterday!" HR will then ask, "Do you have anything in writing?" "Well, no...but HE KNOWS we've talked about this stuff in the past." HR then asks, "What did his last performance review look like?" And the manager says, "Well....it was pretty good actually. We didn't want to piss him off and have him quit. But can you fire him please?" So, the company fires Biff, and he hires an attorney. He is now the plaintiff in a wrongful discharge, or discrimination suit against your company. I say discrimination because Biff's attorney will try and use any protected class available to him to say that is why you fired poor, old, black, disabled, Muslim,(female--okay with a name like Biff maybe not) maybe gay, maybe Democrat (depending on where you are) Biff. So your companies HR person takes the complaint to the CEO, or maybe their in-house counsel (who typically only knows a little contract law, nothing else, and is probably the most useless member of your executive team), and says, "We fired Biff, but we don't have any documentation supporting it." And the CEO or in-house attorney panics (rightly so) and calls someone like what I used to be. I (in this instance I'm still practicing law) look at the weak-assed facts we have supporting our case, chiefly your word against Biffs that you warned him repeatedly despite having no evidence in writing to support that those conversations ever took place and just as important Biffs signature stating that you indeed had the conversation; coupled with the fact that Biff has an excellent review that YOU signed saying he was a "Gold-Star Employee". And even though, we probably live in an at-will state, and can essentially fire Biff for ANY REASON (really, any reason), we didn't follow our companies progressive discipline policy, nor did we document anything, so instead of trying to now prove somehow that despite Biffs recent GLOWING performance review that he should have been fired (or taken out back and shot in the face with a bazooka); and then having to spend a ton of money to pay me to muster a defense...it would probably be in your best interest to settle with Biff. So, after your company writes a big fat check to me for advising them, they write an even bigger check to Biff and his slimy ass-hat attorney (who knows damn good and well that Biff is a tool, and deserved to be fired), your CEO demands to know why the HR team let this shit happen, and the HR person says, "I told (insert your name here) they needed documentation, but they wouldn't listen to me." Then your CEO loses confidence in your abilities as a supervisor, and overlooks you for a promotion, or decides not to give you a good review or raise, or worse-- fires you. So there you are, thinking you shouldn't have used all that PTO to go to Europe this year on vacation because you really need the money for any of your unused PTO that they just cashed you out with right now. And since this has never happened to you, you've never needed an employment attorney, and the only one you know is me, because I represented your company in the Biff lawsuit, so you call me and tell me that you've been fired and ask if you can hire me, and I tell you that no, since I represent your NOW former employer, it would be a conflict; but I might give you the names of some of my friends who will gladly take your money. Only NOW the company has learned it's lesson, and they documented your termination the way they were supposed to, and you wind up paying an attorney and you still get dick. Sooooo..yeah. HR is a bitch.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:36:13 PM by TempusVox »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
:clap:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2014, 12:49:38 AM »
It's my emphasis in my business studies  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I don't intend to be the dopey HR guy though.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2014, 07:45:03 AM »
HR guys become "dopey HR guys" because people walk all over them and don't follow their advice. So don't let them make you a "dopey HR guy".  :biggrin:

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
Yeah, that's all dead-on, TV.

You really need to line up your shot to even start the progressive discipline process...you're essentially hitting the reset button being able to take action each day that you don't document.

I had to fire someone this past fall...and he'd have been out the door a couple of months sooner if I'd had more consistent documentation.  Of course, he did perform the coup de grace on himself...he did most of what was needed to make it look like emails sent from his phone were sent from his work computer...but not quite everything.  Oops.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: May 26, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »
It's amazing sometimes how much energy and effort marginal employees put into remaining marginal.  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #193 on: May 26, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »
Interviewed someone the other day, someone wanting to be a server. It was the first interview I'd ever conducted on my own and it was actually kind of nerve-racking for me; though I'm sure much more for him considering that while we're looking to clean up a bit in terms of the servers we have, we're pretty stocked full and he knew that coming in but I liked the attitude he had and the way he conducted himself so I told him that we're more than likely to lose a couple people in the next few weeks and he can give it a shot.

I shouldn't have wasted my time... It's great to have confidence and an upbeat attitude (it's not only great, for the most part it's necessary); but a false confidence, however, is absolutely annoying. He was a bullshitter, and a pretty good one at that, but when the questions about how to serve and about wine varietals, how to serve wine, etc. came up, he started fumbling his words and making excuses like not being trained properly in his past job (which was pretty much when I decided the interview was over, ten minutes in). Granted, the restaurant I'm running is not the usual waiting job; it's a wine cafe, and is very demanding on both the information side of knowing wine (we have no sommelier, so all servers must know their shit; we don't expect you to want to be a sommelier, but you've gotta know the fuckin' basics at least) and how to sell/pair with food/etc. But if you walk into a place that sells only wine and beer and while we have a menu, it isn't as large as most 'usual' restaurants...surely it's a hint that you'll have to be more than just an order taker. This ain't Denny's, no offense to any other waiters/bussers/restaurants (I have indeed worked at TGI Friday's before).

Case in point, and it may seem like a no brainer, but I learned yesterday that it is not: Get every single one of your ducks in a line, all of your facts straight, and dot your 'i's and cross your 't's before you even attempt to interview. Again, a great attitude and a handful of balls will go a long way, but eventually you'll have to get down to the nitty gritty and start spouting facts and knowledge of the job, and bullshitting only gets you so far. Don't even try it, don't even think about cutting corners... The weirdest, best advice that was ever given to me was 'if you're being interviewed, you're being dissected'. Unless you're lucky enough to have a shit-for-brains interviewing you...then be prepared to have every ounce of knowledge about the job you're interested in to be brought up and pulled out of you, and if you don't have it, expect to be thrown away.

This is more of a vent than anything...but I also feel that it's something that's taken for granted in today's society of having a great 'go-getter' attitude and all the other utter bullshit that goes with that and the rest of the motivational posters. Yeah, attitude is awesome and all...but if it's empty, then I'm gonna take the shy geek and simply whip some attitude into him as opposed to taking weeks to train and fill some dipshit up with knowledge, taking twice the time and effort. KNOW YOUR ENEMY!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
I interviewed many a people over the years, and yeah, the single thing that can (for me) bring the interview to a screeching halt is when the person tries to bullshit me. In fact, my bullshit-o-meter became a running gag in our group because it was such a showstopper to me. Other people either didn't pick up on the bullshitting, or didn't mind as much. I simply can't work with a person who will lie about something they don't actually know. Because it's usually the death sentence for whatever project you're working on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2014, 10:53:09 AM »
I am pretty poor at spotting a BSer unless its blatantly obvious.  I guess I am just the type of person more likely to believe someone when they are talking. However, my way of dealing with this on the few interviews I have conducted is to take a question I just asked and recieved possible BS as a response and then change it to a scenario question to see if they know how to apply the BS they just spewed.  Ive caught a few people in that before.  They could talk the talk but couldnt walk the walk.  Id rather them just say the truth "I dont know" or "I know this much, but cant speak any further about it"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
HR guys become "dopey HR guys" because people walk all over them and don't follow their advice. So don't let them make you a "dopey HR guy".  :biggrin:

Does not compute.  Every HR Manager I've ever known is female.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »

Now that you mention it, yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a male HR Manager.  There have been 3 HR Managers here at my company in the 14 years I've been here.  They were all women.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »

Now that you mention it, yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a male HR Manager.  There have been 3 HR Managers here at my company in the 14 years I've been here.  They were all women.

All ive known are women as well.  Dont mean to sound sexist, but most HR people in general ive known are women and I just assumed that was a career that women try to pursue and hence the dominance by females. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »
The ratio of male/female HR managers/directors is actually about even. I will say the majority of HR assistants typically are more Admin Assitant types who do general administrative duties, which are probably overwhelmingly female.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »
The ratio of male/female HR managers/directors is actually about even. I will say the majority of HR assistants typically are more Admin Assitant types who do general administrative duties, which are probably overwhelmingly female.

Well, not at my company.  The global VP of HR who reports to our CEO is female.  Our Divisional VP is female... all of her directors and HR Managers are female.  I honestly can't think of one time in my 12.5 year career here that I've ever dealt with, or even known of, a male HR leader.  I'm in the IT industry, which by-and-large is a sausage fest.  So, yeah.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2014, 05:37:24 PM »

Well, not at my company.  The global VP of HR who reports to our CEO is female.  Our Divisional VP is female... all of her directors and HR Managers are female.  I honestly can't think of one time in my 12.5 year career here that I've ever dealt with, or even known of, a male HR leader.  I'm in the IT industry, which by-and-large is a sausage fest.  So, yeah.

Same here, maybe why we both have seen the same situation regarding this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »
Same here. The only HR-related males I've met were both receptionists, and both were flamingly gay.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
We have 2 HR. One a male, who is a wordsmith.  That man can take a paragraph, I wrote and spin it into something so eloquent it boggles the mind.  The Female is the people person and works for the male.  Both very helpful for us site managers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
But, they eventually replied to my email inquiry, like 4 days later. They said they would make a decision some time next week.

Yeaaaaahhhh, or not. Week has passed again, no word. I think at this point, unless they're coming back with an amazing offer, I'm considering this a dud.
I checked earlier today, this interview process has been going on for one and a half months now, and things only ever move when I write emails. I mean, clearly I'm not a shoe-in, otherwise they would have made me an offer right away. So, I'm assuming they are keeping me around as a last-resort candidate (maybe because I'm too senior to be cheap salary-wise), but that's not where I want to be either.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »

Yeaaaaahhhh, or not. Week has passed again, no word. I think at this point, unless they're coming back with an amazing offer, I'm considering this a dud.
I checked earlier today, this interview process has been going on for one and a half months now, and things only ever move when I write emails. I mean, clearly I'm not a shoe-in, otherwise they would have made me an offer right away. So, I'm assuming they are keeping me around as a last-resort candidate (maybe because I'm too senior to be cheap salary-wise), but that's not where I want to be either.

This job must be really interesting for you to still be lingering around for them, unless you are at the point where you are just going to keep trolling them since they havent actually given you an answer.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »
The company is called izotope, and they do music s software (mastering, drum machines etc). It would have meant combining my hobby with work. So yeah, it looked like a great job.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »
The company is called izotope, and they do music s software (mastering, drum machines etc). It would have meant combining my hobby with work. So yeah, it looked like a great job.

I've used a couple of their plugins before, including the mastering one.

:lol Not really relevant, except that it's neat that you could have worked on something I know of.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2014, 07:00:25 AM »
There is an old sales maxim that says, "Time kills all deals." This is especially true in recruiting/ hiring a candidate. The company may have internal issues they are sorting out, but they really love Rumby. But he's heard next to nothing and begins to A) wonder what's wrong with him as a candidate; and after he concludes, nothing is wrong with him, he B) concludes maybe rightly so, that something is wrong with the company, and pulls away. Bottom line, if YOU are hiring/ interviewing someone, have your act together and don't make them wait!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: June 02, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
Woooow, so they finally came back to me. Apparently the position was crazy popular, so they had a ton of people to interview before making a decision. Assuages it a little bit I guess (still think they should have been more vocal overall). Either way, they're not making me an offer, but it was the head engineer calling me, and he told me I was very high on their stack of people, and he wanted to stay connected since there's a good chance I might get an offer later.