Author Topic: The Jelly Jam - new CD possibly in the works!  (Read 21966 times)

Calvin6s

Re: The Jelly Jam - new CD possibly in the works!
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2016, 02:51:25 PM »
 :lol
This thread isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for The Jelly Jam.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2016, 03:02:58 PM »
:lol  For some reason, I never got the third album.  It wasn't a conscious decision.  I just sort of...forgot and then never mustered up the motivation to track it down the couple of times I was reminded.

I just have to find a copy now.

Does Platypus have a third album? Only got the first two there too.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »
The third one isn't that easy to find. That's one of the reasons I don't have it.

And Platypus had only two releases. Of that I'm sure.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2016, 06:18:33 AM »
For anyone trying to track down their music: all three records are on Spotify.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2016, 10:29:15 AM »
Which Jelly Jam album is the best?

Easy: Shall We Descend. The other albums (and letīs add the two from Platypus - Sherinian doesnīt make too much a difference, as expected, so I consider the 5 albums to belong to the same group) are interesting, but they were not a band per se - they were just some friends putting songs together. Lyrics were haphazardly. But with Shall We Descend, they found their style, their spirit. Beautiful album.  :tup

And I bought it on release, so I have a picture of the band with autographs! Yeah!  :metal

Have you checked the cover of the nem album?

:o :o :o :o :o :o
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »
Wow, that seems a lot more serious and dark than I have gotten from them in the past.  But cool cover art.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Wow, that seems a lot more serious and dark than I have gotten from them in the past.  But cool cover art.

Please do check Shall We Descent. Itīs the darker of the 5 - in fact, thereīs nothing in any of the other album as serious and dark as in SWD. I bought that album, and then, retroatively, got the other ones. And from my second favorite ("2") to my favorite, SWD, thereīs a LOOOOONG way.
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2016, 11:01:58 AM »
Sherinian doesn't make a difference? I beg to disagree. For me Platypus is a whole different band, sure there are similarities, but songs like Platt Opus, What About The Merch? Partial To The Bean and others don't sound like Jelly Jam. Sherinian doesn't play a lot of flashy keyboards but he makes his impact and probably on the songwriting too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Calvin6s

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »
Dark Ty Tabor band?  Whoa.  That sounds weird, but intriguing.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »
Sherinian doesn't make a difference? I beg to disagree. For me Platypus is a whole different band, sure there are similarities, but songs like Platt Opus, What About The Merch? Partial To The Bean and others don't sound like Jelly Jam. Sherinian doesn't play a lot of flashy keyboards but he makes his impact and probably on the songwriting too.

Well, so the fact is - I donīt like Sherinian. Because those songs you have mentioned I consider the weakest of the group. Of course itīs evident Sherinian had a finger in them (or ten fingers), but they donīt add, in my opinion. If Tabor had recorded keyboards on those Platypus albums, they would be better.

And for me itīs evident Ice Cycles and Jelly Jam are a natural sequence one from other. They are very similar, meaning: the same band. I think they have dropped the name because of Inside Out Music - as Mullmuzzler/James LaBrie, not because Derek  left.

But this is, of course, my opinion. And probably the bandīs opinion too, as they donīt seem to miss Sherinian at all. When they annouced that Platypus would change their name to Jelly Jam and carry on without Sherinian, I doubt there were any hunger strikes or angry discussions anywhere.

But, just to make that clear, thatīs my opinion - and, again, I must say Shall We Descent in way above the other albums.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:46:57 PM by vazquez »

Calvin6s

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
Platypus - The Jelly Jam - Jughead

The only thing that changed was Ty had to choose between Myung and Sherinian after the break.  He chose both.  And Jughead is the best band of all three.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
Platypus - The Jelly Jam - Jughead

The only thing that changed was Ty had to choose between Myung and Sherinian after the break.  He chose both.  And Jughead is the best band of all three.

Hm, yes, you are right. Iīm nitpicking on Sherinian.  :loser:

Nice song, this "Care". Is on the vibe of SWD, I enjoyed the production.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
I would be so up for anything with Myung and Morganstein, but keep Ty Tabor away from them. What a waste!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2016, 02:30:31 PM »
Checked out Care and revisitied Allison per recommendation.

Allison is a great song.  Has that Ty Tabor influence I like (Beatles, but not Beatles).  Original and stands out.

Care is a song I'd enjoy, but at the same time wouldn't find it all that unique.

Calvin6s

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2016, 02:34:07 PM »
I'm not even sure what a Rod / John song would sound like.  The Jelly Jam is so heavily Ty Tabor influenced, that it is like imagining Sheehan and Portnoy without Kotzen in Winery Dogs.

Ytse-Dixie-Jam?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »
See, I think that's another waste of a lineup. I would want more out of Sheehan/Portnoy that run of the mill average rock trio music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
What do you think a Rod Myung song would sound like?  I honestly can't put my finger on it.

Is there a list somewhere of the "John Myung riffs" in DT.  The only one I can remember off the top of my head is Ytse Jam.  Not talking about lyrics.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
Not sure, but it has to be better than this.

It's me. I'm being a dick. I would love to get behind anything MP or JM does, but I just can't do this.

OK.. carry on! :)

Calvin6s

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »
:rollin

I'm picturing TAC's review of his first listen of a Jelly Jam CD. 
TAC - "This is probably the best song on the CD."
Friend - "The CD ended two minutes ago."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »
I would be so up for anything with Myung and Morganstein, but keep Ty Tabor away from them. What a waste!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2016, 03:25:21 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »

It's me. I'm being a dick. I would love to get behind anything MP or JM does, but I just can't do this.

OK.. carry on! :)

OK, King took care of this. Thanks King!,

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2016, 08:53:02 PM »
I like Ty Tabor, but much more as a guitarist than lead singer. King's X has a lot of great stuff, but the songs with Ty on lead vocals are definitely not what I gravitate toward.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2016, 05:53:14 AM »
Newest Jelly Jam tune. I like it I must say even if I'm not familiar with the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV5R90vjfQQ

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2016, 07:58:22 AM »
Newest Jelly Jam tune. I like it I must say even if I'm not familiar with the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV5R90vjfQQ

B.Lee

Really cool tune!  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2016, 03:41:07 PM »
Got this in my inbox from DT:

The Jelly Jam will release their epic new album Profit on 27th May 2016 via Music Theories Recordings.

The Jelly Jam feature DREAM THEATER's John Myung, WINGER's Rod Morgenstein, KING'S X's Ty Tabor and will return in 2016 with a new album and their first-ever world tour.

Profit is a glorious and affecting cinematic experience, full of suspense; the record follows the heroic yet daunting journey of The Prophet who, inspired by a deep sense of responsibility, embarks on a mission to try and save the world, and to open the eyes of Those Who Will Not See.

The Jelly Jam will support their latest album with full tour dates to be announced HERE. As guitarist Ty Tabor explains, "This album is without a doubt the most special moment the band has ever had together, and we must make touring real this year to support it."

Profit is now available to pre-order from the MLG store. The 180 grams vinyl is limited to 2000 copies, and comes with a download card.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »
Cool that they are going to tour.  I hope it works out that I can catch a show. 

As for the song itself, I like it.  Pretty typical of what they do.  I like Care better, but this one is still solid.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »
They are playing at a really cool place 20 minutes from my house.  I should go.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »
Does anyone know why the band is named The Jelly Jam?  Just curious.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »
Cuz you be jelly of their jams, yo.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »
Seems like they're working harder in terms of promoting this album than the one several years ago. I should probably give a listen to one of these songs and check out the album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »
Recently discovered this group, I've been digging Shall We Descend. Looking forward to the new record.