Author Topic: The Jelly Jam - new CD possibly in the works!  (Read 21965 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
The Jelly Jam - new CD possibly in the works!
« on: December 01, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »
Looks like John (Myung) may be putting out another album with Ty Tabor and Rod Morgenstein! Yay for fans of The Jelly Jam!

From www.tytabor.net (news section)

November 20, 2009

Ty Tabor, John Myung, and Rod Morgenstein are discussing the possibility of recording a new Jelly Jam album in 2010. This would be their third release as The Jelly Jam and their fifth overall release together. More news coming soon!

>>>I really hope this happens. I dug this side project big time!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: The Jelly Jam - new CD possibly in the works!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
2010 looks to be side-project year. Here's hoping JP does another one too.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:07:46 PM »
Great news! To me Jelly Jam is a very underrated project, I love this band!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »
If economic times are such that touring does not make sense, it's a good time to do side-project albums.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »
Are there vocals on the other Jelly Jam CDs? If so, who sings?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:13:53 PM »
If economic times are such that touring does not make sense, it's a good time to do side-project albums. 

Makes Sense. It just seems odd that they would risk losing their momentum now that they are bigger and more popular than they've been since Pull Me Under.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »
Are there vocals on the other Jelly Jam CDs? If so, who sings?
Yes, it is Ty Tabor.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »
Thanks!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 02:19:43 PM »
So, MP is on Transatlantic, JLB on his solo stuff, JR will surely do several things, and JM is even doing Jelly Jam.

I WANT ANOTHER JOHN PETRUCCI SOLO ALBUM.

Suspended Animation is SOOOO great, my favorite CD of instrumental music, and I really wish a follow up was done.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »
I want more accoustic shows next Christmas!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »
So, MP is on Transatlantic, JLB on his solo stuff, JR will surely do several things, and JM is even doing Jelly Jam.

I WANT ANOTHER JOHN PETRUCCI SOLO ALBUM.

Suspended Animation is SOOOO great, my favorite CD of instrumental music, and I really wish a follow up was done.

I'd actually like to see JP team up with some other established players and do some sort of "supergroup" project.  I'd love to hear him write with other musicians outside DT (as opposed to hearing him do all the writing and bring in some other guys to play, as on a solo album).  I mean, yeah, there's the possibility it could suck and just be Chickenfoot2.  But it could also be really cool.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:31:08 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »
Yeah, that would be cool too. If a solo album isn't done that would certainly be a nice treat.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »
I'd actually like to see JP team up with some other established players and do some sort of "supergroup" project.  I'd love to hear him write with other musicians outside DT (as opposed to hearing him do all the writing and bring in some other guys to play, as on a solo album).  I mean, yeah, there's the possibility it could suck and just be Chickenfoot2.  But it could also be really cool.

What?  The Chickenfoot album is amazing!

It'd be very cool to hear JP do something to that effect, though, and step out of his normal prog metal comfort zone.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 02:58:28 PM »
Exciting news indeed! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »
 I mean, yeah, there's the possibility it could suck and just be Chickenfoot2.  But it could also be really cool.

They'd call the band BEARfoot!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
 I mean, yeah, there's the possibility it could suck and just be Chickenfoot2.  But it could also be really cool.

They'd call the band BEARfoot!

Bearclaw!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »
YESSSSSSSSS!

I was hoping JMX would do something new, and it looks like I'm not going to be disappointed!

I totally forgive DT for not doing a 2010 tour now :D

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »

Oh, and I always thought that with touring, bands make more money than with just releasing an album.
But that's really worth its own thread: what do prog bands have to do to make money with what they do? Personally, I became quite pessimistic... More and more people illegally download albums, and less and less people go to concerts.
Examples for the latter? I have a lot...
Examples for the first? Just read the internet...

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 04:31:11 PM »
I think for DT's case it wasn't a matter that they wouldn't make money touring.  It was that they'd have to scale down the venues and tour significantly more than they did the first leg, which none of the members were really up to. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 04:35:37 PM »

Oh, and I always thought that with touring, bands make more money than with just releasing an album.

Generally speaking, you are right.  But, reading between the lines a bit, it seems like what Mike was saying is that the reason they decided not to do a headlining tour in 2010 was that it just did not make economic sense right now.  Assuming there are no other factors and that it was truly economic, I am guessing that promoters are just skittish about tour booking right now due to the general economic times leading to low concert attendance.  So promoters in some markets may be telling DT that they are willing to book them in smaller venues with smaller guarantees, or not at all.  If that is the case, the band very well may have just decided that if they weren't going to make X amount of dollars, it might just make sense to postpone the tour and not saturate the market right now.  I mean, let's say they want to do some side project work or other things.  Doing so takes time away from DT.  Throwing out some very hypothetical numbers, let's say that due to economic times, they would probably only make a total of $100,000 per member if they toured hard in 2010 and didn't take time off.  But if they expect they can do better in 2011 and make $150,000 per member that year if they tour hard and don't take time off, that's a different number.  So, looking long-term, it makes more sense to do the side-project stuff in a down year than in an up year.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
What would be awesome is if JLB decided now was finally the time to try Broadway.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 05:11:07 PM »
All of these thing sound cool and all, but I hope MP releases something from this last tour on Ytsejam.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 05:16:23 PM »
I doubt it.  He doesn't seem to release live bootlegs of the tours they've just finished.  I think a Systematic Chaos show would come first, if not something entirely older (I doubt there really is anything except maybe full versions of shows that were on OIALT).

I really wish there were audio versions of Bucharest and Santiago, but since they're already out on DVD I doubt we'll get 'em.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »
I really wish there were audio versions of Bucharest and Santiago, but since they're already out on DVD I doubt we'll get 'em.

I think it's easy enough to rip 'em , no? I would have no clue, but a guy at work did it for me.

I doubt it.  He doesn't seem to release live bootlegs of the tours they've just finished. 

Yeah, but that could be because each of the last 3 albums' tours were followed by an official release. There is no official release coming, and I think MP would be cognizant of all of the people that missed out on this tour and having to miss out on experiencing The Count Of Tuscany live.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:47:07 PM by TAC »

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 07:03:42 PM »
It'd be very cool to hear JP do something to that effect, though, and step out of his normal prog metal comfort zone.

Thiiiiiiis.  But I'd *gladly* embrace a second Petrucci solo album too.

I've never heard the Jelly Jam.  What's it like, and what do people here think about it in general?

-J

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »
I've never heard the Jelly Jam.  What's it like, and what do people here think about it in general?

-J

In my opinion, they sound a LOT like King's X, just with Ty singing all the lead vocals.  Maybe a bit more experimental, but otherwise, not vastly different.  Definitely not wildly progressive like a lot of the other side projects, but I don't mean that as a negative in any way.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »
I want more accoustic shows next Christmas!
DT Christmas album? Jethro Tull has one.

Wow, they missed a big opportunity: DTX could have been DTX-mas. :metal

Offline TL

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:49 PM »
So it looks like 2010 is going to be an exciting year in the music world.
JMX may be doing a new Jellyjam album, MP is touring with Transatlantic, JLB is releasing a solo album and may do a small tour, and JP has mentioned that another solo album is very possible. Now we just need JR to do a side project or solo album, which I could definitely see.
Also, maybe JLB can do that broadway thing he mentioned.

Then, near the end of 2010, they'll start working on the 11th Dream Theater studio album, recharged and revitalized, with a ton of new, fresh ideas from playing outside of the band.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »
Never heard any of The Jelly Jam's stuff, but this is great news. I really want all members of DT to make full use of the break. Personally I'm dying for more solo albums from JLB, JP and JR, but it's great to see JM feeling inspired to put out more music too. It might even get him fired up for the next DT album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »
Never heard any of The Jelly Jam's stuff, but this is great news. I really want all members of DT to make full use of the break. Personally I'm dying for more solo albums from JLB, JP and JR, but it's great to see JM feeling inspired to put out more music too. It might even get him fired up for the next DT album.
Fired up as in lyrics writing or wearing a blue shirt?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »
Hey, let's not get all crazy and just speculate beyond all bounds of reason and reality.  You can just stop this blue shirt madness right here and now.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Hey, let's not get all crazy and just speculate beyond all bounds of reason and reality.  You can just stop this blue shirt madness right here and now.

I don't even think he would bass in a dark grey shirt, let alone blue.

As for the Jelly Jam, and the others, I hope to hear some good stuff from the boys.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »
huh...I went and sampled from "2"
seemed like a fun band.

sampling platypus now

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 10:52:33 PM »
ended up buying platypus and listening to it right now...I like it!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 06:44:57 AM »
Fired up as in lyrics writing or wearing a blue shirt?

Well, we already know he's going to write more lyrics....