Author Topic: Agalloch Appreciation-thread  (Read 73098 times)

Offline adace

Re: Agalloch Appreciation-thread
« Reply #630 on: May 14, 2016, 11:49:41 PM »
Horrible news. :'( Mantle and Ashes are two of my favorite albums. Such a shame.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #631 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:14 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: May 11, 2019, 04:34:14 AM »
Bumping the shit out of this because I'm loving this band.  I was sent Falling Snow by Mason in my first roulette and it scored well but I needed to warm to it.  I had an urge a couple of months ago to listen to it and I've fallen in love with that song.

Have been spinning Ashes and The Mantle and this band is fucking unreal.  The Mantle which I only have listened to twice is brilliant.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #633 on: May 11, 2019, 05:17:44 AM »
Yeah it really is a shame this band split up because they were easily one of my favorite metal bands. Ashes Against the Grain remains one of my all time favorites, The Mantle is not far behind and the rest of their discography is really strong too. I mean Pale Folklore and Marrow of the Spirit are both really good too and The Serpent and the Sphere, while their weakest IMO was still great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: May 11, 2019, 05:31:43 AM »
The Mantle is a concept album?  Gotta get into their lyrics next.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #635 on: May 11, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »
Bumping the shit out of this because I'm loving this band.  I was sent Falling Snow by Mason in my first roulette and it scored well but I needed to warm to it.  I had an urge a couple of months ago to listen to it and I've fallen in love with that song.

Have been spinning Ashes and The Mantle and this band is fucking unreal.  The Mantle which I only have listened to twice is brilliant.

I'm in the minority that really doesn't like anything before Ashes Against The Grain. The production and composition style just isn't my cup of tea, however, Ashes is in my top 10 albums of all time. It is a brilliant work of art. I also like the two albums they put out after that, Marrow of the Spirit and The Serpent & The Sphere, but they're nowhere as good as Ashes. Glad you're digging them. Falling Snow is extraordinary.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #636 on: May 11, 2019, 07:37:32 AM »
I just got And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth from Seneca. I liked it.

They are on my follow up list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: May 11, 2019, 07:40:42 AM »
I just got And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth from Seneca. I liked it.

They are on my follow up list.

I was really hoping you'd have a fire and ice theme so I could send Fire Above, Ice Below, which is omfg good.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #638 on: May 11, 2019, 07:49:10 AM »
Fire And Ice is one that I wish I had done. I thought of that after I posted the OP, and we were a couple rounds into it. I came up with the themes kind of quickly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #639 on: May 11, 2019, 08:29:53 AM »
I like Pale folklore and love The Mantle. The rest is so and so.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #640 on: May 11, 2019, 10:04:57 AM »
Ashes is definitely their best. Marrow Of The Spirit is my second favorite. That album took a while to grow on me, but damn, the atmosphere on that record is unreal. Even the murkier production, which I disliked at first, ended up being a positive for me because it really enhances the atmosphere. Plus you've got songs like Into The Painted Grey, Black Lake Nidstang, and Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires which are all fantastic.

The Mantle is behind those two. The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion might be their best song (though I might instead give the nod to the first two parts of Our Fortress Is Burning) but as a whole I don't think it's as strong as the above two records. Then you've got Pale Folklore, which is a bit rough around the edges but still quite good, and finally the Serpent And The Sphere, which is unfortunately their weakest. Really would have liked them to go out on a higher note.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: May 11, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
S&S at least has Celestial Effigy and Dark Matter Gods. I love those.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #642 on: May 11, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »
Yes. My favorite metal band for sure and has been for a few years now. Ashes, Marrow, and Mantle are immense.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #643 on: May 13, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »

Kade, following up since you posted.

So far I have listened to The Mantle and Ashes Against The Grain.

Both albums are really cool. I probably prefer Ashes. It just feels like it has a bit more jump.

Even though it's cool and moody, this will take a number of listens to really click though. The remind me of classic Fields Of The Nephilim.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #644 on: May 13, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »

Both albums are really cool. I probably prefer Ashes. It just feels like it has a bit more jump.

Even though it's cool and moody, this will take a number of listens to really click though. The remind me of classic Fields Of The Nephilim.
That's cool you are liking Ashes Against the Grain. That is in my top 5 albums of all time. I cant remember if I sent you Pillorian in your roulette, but that is John Haughm's band after Agalloch split up. They only had 1 album, but it is very Agalloch-like. Khorada is the band that the other 3 guys in Agalloch went on to form. That album is a bit of a mixed bag, though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #645 on: May 13, 2019, 08:10:59 PM »

That's cool you are liking Ashes Against the Grain. That is in my top 5 albums of all time. I cant remember if I sent you Pillorian in your roulette, but that is John Haughm's band after Agalloch split up. They only had 1 album, but it is very Agalloch-like. Khorada is the band that the other 3 guys in Agalloch went on to form. That album is a bit of a mixed bag, though.

Cool. Thank you for the info.

Yes you did send Pillorian. By The Light Of A Black Sun. I scored it a 9, so I must have liked it.  I have a document with what everyone sent me, and I will be working my way through it.

Like I said, I feel they will take multiple listens to click, so I'll give Agalloch a solid shake this week.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #646 on: May 13, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »
Cool that youre enjoying it, Tim.

I think i remember the guys mentioning being fans of Nephilim in an interview at one point, so it makes good sense.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: May 14, 2019, 05:42:36 AM »

Cool mate.  They are the only two I've checked out still.  Falling Snow is easily the best song from both albums but I think I'm preferring The Mantle on a whole.

For longtime fans, it's a concept album no? A few recurring themes and similar feel throughout really tickles my fancy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #648 on: January 12, 2021, 04:14:55 PM »
Instead of hijacking the Album thread, I thought I'd post here. The above posts are interesting. My memory is so bad. :lol :lol

I was going to say that the verses in Falling snow sound like Tribulation. I love that driving drum beat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: January 12, 2021, 04:20:27 PM »

Get fucked!  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: January 12, 2021, 04:21:00 PM »
Instead of hijacking the Album thread, I thought I'd post here. The above posts are interesting. My memory is so bad. :lol :lol

I was going to say that the verses in Falling snow sound like Tribulation. I love that driving drum beat.

I can hear that Tribulation sound mate, good call.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #651 on: January 12, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »

Get fucked!  :lol

:metal

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #652 on: June 23, 2021, 04:11:09 PM »
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:21:46 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: June 23, 2021, 04:17:50 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #654 on: June 23, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »
first single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rlfC9XNHJk

Don't know this band but holy shit that was bad.

You're an Agalloch fan and have never heard Sculptured?  :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: June 23, 2021, 04:24:21 PM »
first single:

Correct.  Not sure I want to again after that song.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #656 on: June 23, 2021, 04:57:37 PM »
first single:

That makes two of us. Unfortunately nothing from any of these guys since Agalloch broke up has sounded very interesting to me.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: June 23, 2021, 05:00:07 PM »
first single:

That makes two of us. Unfortunately nothing from any of these guys since Agalloch broke up has sounded very interesting to me.

I haven't really gone out to sought out anything either truthfully.  Agalloch and their sound were just so amazing and unique.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #658 on: June 23, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
Embodiment from 2008 is a classic.

I pretty much find it as good as anything Agalloch ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMkKCJUnKtw

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: June 23, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »

I'll make sure I check that one out later. 

As good as The Mantle though?  Big call.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #660 on: June 23, 2021, 07:13:25 PM »
first single:

The only project that was good, post-Agalloch, was Pillorian, but that crashed and burned after just 1 album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline JLa

« Reply #661 on: June 24, 2021, 03:51:53 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: June 24, 2021, 05:19:20 AM »

That was quite interesting and unique.  Get some Cynic vibes in parts.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #664 on: June 24, 2021, 06:28:59 AM »
first single:

Those vocals were ...  :|

I don't think I've ever been more turned off by a mix of vocals + lyrics than here. I had to turn it off less than halfway through, just unbearable. It's a damn shame because Agalloch is probably in my top 3 bands ever and Ashes Against the Grain might be my favorite album, I was kinda hopeful I could enjoy this.