Author Topic: Agalloch Appreciation-thread  (Read 73499 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Agalloch Appreciation-thread
« Reply #175 on: November 04, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »
I'm gonna wait.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
new album is definitely doing more for me than any of their other lps. It really flows well.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
One listen done - it's the most consistent album by them so far, but the highs don't match Mantle's highs.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2010, 06:40:20 PM »
It's definitely their saddest album and a great addition to their discography. I can't compare it to their other albums yet...it just wouldn't be fair. But this is my album of the year. What a journey...  :hefdaddy

Also; I will say this album is a grower. Overwhelming at first, but on my second listen now, I can follow more closely and I can recognize the song structure.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:54:53 AM by Portrucci »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline faemir

« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2010, 06:55:01 AM »
Album of the year? That title belongs to We're Here Because We're Here i'm afraid :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »
Album of the year? That title belongs to We're Here Because We're Here i'm afraid :P

I already have 2 albums i would rank over Anathema on that front actually.  :P
(The River Empires and Oceansize)
This Year has been phenomenal to be honest, even when i make my top10 in ~2 months, there will still be great albums left out.

OnT: I listened to this album for the first time about an hour ago.
It's hard to say something about it just from that one listen, but i know that it will grow a lot.
On the negative side, i listened to it from my speakers and the sun was shining outside, i think the experience will be better if i listen tonight when its dark, and in my headphones. :P
I can't say many things clicked at first, but it isn't strange considering the enormous length on the tracks, i really wanna give them all a few listens. :)
What i really loved about most of the album, is that there were a lot of territories i've never heard the band go into before, and that was a very pleasant surprise.
My opinion on the tracks after one listen:

1. They Escaped the Weight of Darkness
Very interesting intro, i really liked the cello and the river.
Atmospheric, and it really sums up the Agalloch-sound imo.

2. Into the Painted Grey
After the pretty bombastic intro i would've expected this to be a song in the same vein as Not Unlike the Waves, but it slowed down and overall it was a very positive surprise, because it didn't take the direction i thought it would.

3. The Watcher's Monolith
Solid song overall, i especially digged the piano outro.

4. Black Lake Nidstång
My favorite after the first listen, because it's still Agalloch, but exploring new territories.
I don't have any timestamps, but somewhere in the middle there were a really interesting vocal-part, i've never heard John Haughm sing in that style before, and it really grabbed me.
Also, there was some ambient-build up part a few minutes after that, which i also loved.

5. Ghost of the Midwinter Fires
A bit too early to tell, but i really liked it.

6. To Drown
The same here, i think my first listen of this album got a bit ruined because of the fact that i kept thinking: "OMG this is Agalloch's new album!!!". :D
Cool outro though.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2010, 12:09:20 PM »
I can't say I was blown away on my first or second listen, but I always tend to give negative opinions on something too early, then come to regret it later, so I'll refrain for now.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »
Man I wasn't really that satisfied on my first listen. 

I've always loved that Agalloch was able to get that black metal-ish sound without blast beats, so I was not fond of the use of blast beats on this album. 

There were plenty of high points, but I don't think those high points were nearly as good as the ones on PF, TM, or AATG.  I was kinda disappointed that Black Lake Nidstang didn't have as many really rockin sections. 

The album is really fucking good though, I think I just really got myself over-excited.  The atmosphere is amazing; its so emotional and depressing and melancholic. 

Also, I think it's gonna be a grower.  I've only listened to it once, and I was not paying 100% attention.  I kinda feel like the song lengths threw me off a bit.  I'm used to the 5-10 min range with Agalloch, so the longer tracks were a little strange. 

Maybe it's not that I'm disappointed but that I was expecting something different.  But you never know what you're gonna get with Agalloch, and that is part of what makes them so incredible.  They now have four full length albums and all of them are distinctively unique.

Tomorrow I will put down my blinds, shut the door, put on my headphones, close my eyes, and give this album a proper listen.  I can't really say that it's a disappointing album without having given it plenty of proper listens.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2010, 04:47:49 AM »
I think this album is fantastic, though i've only heard it about 3-4 times.
The 2 songs that hasn't really grown as much on me as the rest are "Into the Painted Grey" and "The Watcher's Monolith", but i'm sure they will get there.
As for the other songs, i love the guitars in "Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires" and the 'hit you in the face'-outro in "To Drown".
But the personal highlight for me is "Black Lake Nidstång", because it's really sad and dark, i especially love the vocals around the 7.30 mark, and the awesome ambient-build up after that.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
"Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires" is such an awesome song title. Conjures up all these mental images. Love it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
I swear the album gets better everytime I listen to it. Also wanted to appreciate 0:53 in Into the Painted Grey, with those overlapped guitars. Lets just hold on a minute, and try to comprehend how good that section is. I was just blown away when I first heard it  :hefdaddy

Also, To Drown might be my favourite track on the album  :heart
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »
Also, To Drown might be my favourite track on the album  :heart

The second half is probably my favorite part of the album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2010, 03:29:15 AM »
I was out walking earlier in the woods, snow everywhere and no civilization what so ever.
The Melancholy Spirit came up on my mp3.
 :hefdaddy

About the new album, i've only played it about 3-4 times in it's entirety yet, but i kinda wanna save it a bit for better quality.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2010, 03:35:12 AM »
I was out walking earlier in the woods, snow everywhere and no civilization what so ever.
The Melancholy Spirit came up on my mp3.
 :hefdaddy

:omg: :omg:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2010, 03:21:45 AM »
The White needs more appreciation. Sowilo Rune -> Summerisle Reprise =  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2010, 03:48:35 AM »
The White needs more appreciation. Sowilo Rune -> Summerisle Reprise =  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I agree. Just exactly what you want from an EP. short, consistent and experimental. It makes for a great contrast with Marrow. Haughms "Ahhhhh"s in Pantheist  :heart :heart

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2010, 04:14:07 AM »
IMO, Pantheist and Sowilo Rune are the only two really great songs on The White.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2010, 04:25:05 AM »
The White is awesome all the way through, Pantheist is my favorite-track on it.
But i also think The Grey deserves some appreciation, the dismantled version of The Lodge =  :hefdaddy and don't even get me started on the Odal-remix.  :metal

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2010, 04:32:23 AM »
Yep The Grey is very good too. So is their split with Nest (The Wolves of Timberline). Of Stone, Wind and Pillor is actually pretty mediocre IMO. I even have it on vinyl and it hasn't endeared itself to me. and From Which Of This Oak isn't something I'd listen to more than once  :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2010, 04:45:04 AM »
I have only listened to "From Which of This Oak" and "Of Stone, Wind and Pillor" about 1 time each, and i didn't find it to be that special.
Some cool moments, some good songs, but overall it's more like "it's cool to have, but not something i'd listen to". :P

It's a hard choice which EP i prefer between the White and the Grey, but i'm leaning slightly towards the latter, mostly because i think the dismantled version of The Lodge is their best instrumental. :)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2010, 05:41:57 AM »
i think the dismantled version of The Lodge is their best instrumental. :)
The Hawthorne Passage is better.  ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2010, 06:51:23 AM »
The Hawthorne Passage is amazing, but i hold The Lodge (dismantled) slightly higher.
The remixed version of Odal comes pretty high as well, mostly because it's so different from the original. (in a good way)  ;)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »
I just listened to Marrow of the Spirit for the first time and it was awesome. (It was my first Agalloch album too) Really great stuff! :tup

EDIT: There is a section near the end of "To Drown" that REALLY remains me of Requiem for a Dream...

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2010, 02:17:26 AM »
Now that I've listened to the new album a bunch:

1)  The Watcher's Monolith
2)  Black Lake Nidstang
3)  Into the Painted Grey
4)  To Drown
5)  Ghost of the Midwinter Fires
6)  They Escaped the Weight of Darkness

1)  Ashes Against the Grain
2)  The Mantle
3)  Pale Folklore = Marrow of the Spirit (might prefer Pale Folklore just a tad; too close to call)
4)  The White

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2010, 04:51:37 AM »
Even though i love Marrow of the Spirit, i still think Ashes Against the Grain is unbeaten as my favorite Agalloch-album.
The negative thing i can say about MotS, is that after many plays, The Watchers Monolith and Into the Painted Grey still haven't clicked, and i'm not even sure if i could identify them.
But the last 3 songs are fantastic, so it's pretty awesome.  :hefdaddy

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2010, 06:49:09 AM »
I think The Watcher's Monolith is the most familiar song on the album; it sounds like it could have been on The Mantle.  That's probably why I like it the most.  Ghost of the Midwinter Fires sounds a lot like it could have been on Pale Folklore.  Other than those two, I think all the songs have a sound that's pretty unique to this album.

But honestly, this entire album didn't completely click with me until I was ranking the songs in my earlier post and comparing them to the other albums.  When a new album comes out and I try to determine how much I like it, I always tend to isolate and ostracize it from the rest of the band's discography in my mind, and I don't know... I guess it just melded in with the other albums at the point, and I just realized how comparable in sound and quality it is.

Anyways, yeah, anytime I think I may like something more than AAtG, I listen to AAtG again and that idea goes out the door.  I really think it's the only album of any band that gives me an eargasm on every verse in the entire album.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2010, 05:29:19 AM »
Check out this one-man band The Fall of Every Season.  It sounds like Agalloch mixed with Opeth, and both the clean vocals and growls sound a lot like Mikael Akerfeldt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVi6worvLNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPB8bI_s_h8

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »
Black Lake Nidstang is offcially the greatest thing ever.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
Black Lake Nidstang is offcially the greatest thing ever.
Yes. Yes it is

Anyone else got the digi-pack? So sexy. Embossed lettering  :heart The packaging is just very thoughtful and executed perfectly. Good job Profound Lore. Shame I have to wait for the vinyl  :'( Also, the CD does sound quite a bit better than the leak  :tup So if anyone has yet to buy it, I encourage you to do so!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »
A CURSE TO THOSE WHO CORRUPT THESE SACRED WOODS
A CURSE TO THOSE WHO TASTE THIS SOLEMN WATER

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

That song is incredible.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »
My favorite album of 2010  :heart

It doesn't top The Mantle, though. But that's ok--The Mantle is better than most things in life.

Offline faemir

« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
Also, the CD does sound quite a bit better than the leak  :tup So if anyone has yet to buy it, I encourage you to do so!

My FLACs disagree with you :loser:

(It's sitting in my brother cupboard as my xmas present before you whine)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2010, 05:04:39 PM »
Also, the CD does sound quite a bit better than the leak  :tup So if anyone has yet to buy it, I encourage you to do so!

My FLACs disagree with you :loser:

(It's sitting in my brother cupboard as my xmas present before you whine)
Your whats do what? I ripped the CD to FLAC and primarily listen on the computer. I bought the CD as I wanted the packaging and to support the band. Are you saying you had a FLAC version of the leak or something?  :lol

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2010, 05:09:16 PM »
Or he just had a FLAC CD rip that someone uploaded.