Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144356 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
Duke is awesome.  It was the first CD I ever bought.

It is great, and it was one of my first CDs also.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online The Letter M

« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »
So I'm here in bed with my iPod on and listening to From Genesis To Revelation for, perhaps, the first time in a year or two, and I find it a very interesting and pleasant listen! There are a few good tunes on here, with some catchy hooks and melodies!

I think it'd be interesting if Nick D'Virgilio and his friends from Rewiring Genesis took a stab at this album, especially with it's string and horn arrangements, it'd be perfect for Nick to re-make with Mark Hornsby. Maybe extend some of the piece to make proper endings and segues that just aren't crossfades.

Anyways, that's just my thought on FGTR... this album really shows off Tony and Peter, but then again, so did every album they made together with Genesis!  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »
FGTR is such an anomaly in the Genesis catalog, but it is also a very good freshman effort by a fledgling band.  Jonathan King may be a crook (and that is a maybe), but he did see something in these guys, and must be credited for giving them their break, such as it was.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2010, 10:31:35 PM »
FGTR is such an anomaly in the Genesis catalog, but it is also a very good freshman effort by a fledgling band.  Jonathan King may be a crook (and that is a maybe), but he did see something in these guys, and must be credited for giving them their break, such as it was.

Indeed, and to think they were only 16-18 years old when they made the album... how many kids have done that?! And then gone on to do something MORE with it afterwards? Not many like Genesis, I'm sure...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
...And Then There Were Three... survivor up in P/S

Please vote. I know you all know the material :P

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
Bump for Duke

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2010, 07:39:10 PM »
Thread Revive!

I have been totally getting into Genesis BIG TIME lately. Before recently, the only album I had ever really heard (and liked) was Selling England By The Pound, but lately I've been spinning Foxtrot and Duke a lot, and I am totally taken by the latter, something about it is just so fucking amazing to me. I've listened to it at least once a day since ZBomber showed it to me almost a week ago. "Duchess" has to be one of the greatest songs ever to play REALLY loud.

I spun Nursery Cryme today and LOVED it. I had heard the TA cover of Hogweed, but I think that I like the original better.

What other albums should I be checking out first and foremost? (My father owns most of their stuff on vinyl I have everything from Trespass through Abacab here at hand.)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2010, 02:30:37 AM »
Check out A Trick Of The Tail, their first album without Peter (and first with Phil on lead vocals). That's another great one.

Glad you enjoy their stuff! Besides Selling England (my favourite) I really love Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme too. The Lamb is still hard to digest for me, but it has a couple of great ones on it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2010, 03:04:09 AM »
I think I may be the only person on this forum who actually likes Calling All Stations.

My favourite Genesis album so far is A Trick Of The Tail, but I love The Cinema Show. That's what I love about Tony's keyboard playing - he knows how to do long solos (and as far as I remember, the key solo in TCS lasts about five minutes).
The self-titled album should arrive soon as well.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2010, 08:36:02 AM »
What other albums should I be checking out first and foremost? (My father owns most of their stuff on vinyl I have everything from Trespass through Abacab here at hand.)

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
A Trick of the Tail
Wind & Wuthering

Online The Letter M

« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »

A Trick of the Tail
Wind & Wuthering

These three plus ...And Then There Were Three.... It's usually regarded as being a bit lack luster, but you have to give them some credit for putting out an album after Hackett left, and for Rutherford for doing all the guitar parts. There are some really good gems on there, and IMO, "Follow You, Follow Me" isn't as bad as some people think it is.

But I definitely would check out the 4-man Genesis albums first - especially W&W, which is one of my top 3 favorite Genesis albums of all time!

-Marc.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »
Abacab doesn't get any love. The title track is somewhat an excellent way of remembering Phils great versatile drumming.

80's Genesis has some crap sure. The one that gets me the most is how long We Can't Dance is, there are some ballads there that are complete Phil Collins solo songs.

the Mama record first part is amazing pop prog IMO.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2010, 04:13:44 PM »
Listened to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway today and I can safely say it was one of the best albums I've ever heard. Holy shit it was mindblowing.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »
Listened to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway today and I can safely say it was one of the best albums I've ever heard. Holy shit it was mindblowing.

If you loved it that much, you should try listening to the version recorded by Rewiring Genesis, featuring Nick D'Virgilio on drums and vocals! They recorded all the keyboard/synth parts on wind/brass/string instruments, and did some interesting arrangements that really show how versatile the songs and songwriting was on that album, showcasing just how different TLLDOB really is from the band's previous albums.

-Marc.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
HAHA-HA-eeooooo.

The self-titled album arrived today and I was reminded of what a great, great song Mama is.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »
Oh yeah.  The first time I put on the self-titled album and heard the long version of Mama, I freaked just a bit, because I'd never heard that low E droning throughout.  The build-up and atmosphere of that song is incredible.  

Awesome moments: When the drums finally come crashing in and you realize that it's been all Roland up to that point, when you notice that there's only one cymbal crash in the entire song, when you realize that Phil never actually says the word "heart" (he lets it trail off, every time).

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2010, 06:15:34 PM »
Listened to A Trick of the Tail today. Good stuff! I love the melody reprisals in the last song, it was a great way to close the album. My favorite track was "Ripples".

What else DTF? Getting into this band super big time haha
space cadet, pull out.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
Listened to A Trick of the Tail today. Good stuff! I love the melody reprisals in the last song, it was a great way to close the album. My favorite track was "Ripples".

What else DTF? Getting into this band super big time haha

Wind and Wuthering is next.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »
Definitely.  Then Seconds Out.  Then either go back to the five-piece era, or forward to the three-piece era, but eventually do both.  You're at the perfect starting point with Genesis.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
So far I've listened to..

Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England By the Pound
A Trick of the Tail
Duke

My rankings so far..

1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
2. Selling England By the Pound
3. Duke
4. A Trick of the Tail
5. Foxtrot
6. Nursery Cryme

That being said, I still LOVE Nursery Cryme. I'm gonna take the advice of DTF and check out W&W next.
space cadet, pull out.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2010, 07:41:20 PM »
So far I've listened to..

Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England By the Pound
A Trick of the Tail
Duke

My rankings so far..

2. Selling England By the Pound
3. Duke
4. A Trick of the Tail
5. Foxtrot
6. Nursery Cryme

That being said, I still LOVE Nursery Cryme. I'm gonna take the advice of DTF and check out W&W next.

Very nice! After W&W, I would go back one step and check out Trespass. Sure it doesn't have Hackett or Collins, but it's got 6 pretty good songs on it by a very young and fledgling Genesis. After all that, check out ...And Then There Were Three... ...and Abacab (only if you dare...).

-Marc.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
A Trick of the Tail is still my favorite Genesis album.  Definitely in my top 20 albums ever.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
Alright.. listened to a few more Genesis albums recently

- From Genesis to Revelation
- Wind & Wuthering

W&W is freakin' brilliant! Totally blown away by it and I was compeltely surprised at that, seeing as ATotT didn't really blow me away, even though I really enjoyed it.

Here are updated rankings:

2. Selling England by the Pound
3. Foxtrot
4. Nursery Cryme
5. Wind & Wuthering
6. Duke
7. A Trick of the Tail
8. From Genesis to Revelation

That being said, I have really enjoyed all of the albums by them that I've heard. As you can see Foxtrot and NC grew on me a lot and thus moved up.

My plans for the next few albums to check out are Trespass, Genesis Live and Seconds Out. After that I'll dig into the Collins-led era more deeply.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »
seconds out is fantastic

Online The Letter M

« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »
Alright.. listened to a few more Genesis albums recently

- From Genesis to Revelation
- Wind & Wuthering

W&W is freakin' brilliant! Totally blown away by it and I was compeltely surprised at that, seeing as ATotT didn't really blow me away, even though I really enjoyed it.

Here are updated rankings:

2. Selling England by the Pound
3. Foxtrot
4. Nursery Cryme
5. Wind & Wuthering
6. Duke
7. A Trick of the Tail
8. From Genesis to Revelation

That being said, I have really enjoyed all of the albums by them that I've heard. As you can see Foxtrot and NC grew on me a lot and thus moved up.

My plans for the next few albums to check out are Trespass, Genesis Live and Seconds Out. After that I'll dig into the Collins-led era more deeply.

:tup W&W is definitely Top 5 Genesis for me, if not at least top 3! Some really great songs and performances on that whole album.

As for the Collins-Era Genesis albums, I'd start right where you left off with Abacab, then Genesis. After those two, go for next two. I think you'll find there are some great songs on these four albums, some not-so-proggy yet very-catchy tunes, and some great songs (particularly their lengthier pieces).

-Marc.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »
Well I still have to go to ...And Then There Were Three, so I'll probably check that one out first.
space cadet, pull out.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
Well I still have to go to ...And Then There Were Three, so I'll probably check that one out first.

Oh right! Somehow I either didn't see that you hadn't heard it yet, or just completely forgot about it. ...And Then There Were Three... is a good album, but a step back from the amazing Wind & Wuthering. It certainly made Duke a few steps forward from where they were.

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2010, 08:33:15 PM »

Definitely go in order through the 3-piece era.  Experience the evolution of their sound in its natural habitat.  (Or something like that.  I'm not sober.)

seconds out is fantastic

This is true.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2010, 05:49:15 AM »
I have a question for all of you (again):

I need someone to take over the Genesis Survivor starting with the consolation so that I can start another one I have planned. Normally I wouldn't mind just doing both but I really don't have the energy to worry about two survivors. Because We Can't Dance is in it's final round, and we're not doing Calling All Stations, I was hoping one of you might volunteer to me today. I will PM the Consolation list and uncompleted Final list so you don't have to worry about going back and looking for that stuff.

Please?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
Nobody?

:itchy:

kidding :P

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2010, 11:36:43 AM »
I'd love to, but I'm not here with enough regularity or certainly to run a survivor.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
hrrrm. I need somebody to do it. Who should I make my bitch?

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2010, 03:27:48 PM »
I've been trying to get Trick Of The Tail but I'm disturbed by the lack of Genesis studio albums in record stores in my area, all they carry is a best-of singles collection. :huh:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:39:45 PM by Vahvahenki »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
That's the trend these days.  Only the super-popular mega-hot stars get slots in the stores.  If you're lucky, you'll find a lame Greatest Hits collection for someone who used to be reasonably popular (as in this case).  For anything else, you have to go online, and that usually means paying full price.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »
Who pays full price for CD's online?

I don't