Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144349 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2009, 08:49:25 AM »
So Genesis was just inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame

The question now is: Will Hackett and Gabriel show up?

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »
Genesis is in the RRHoF?  :metal :metal :metal

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
Depends.  Were they invited?

I don't want to turn this into a "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a total fucking joke" thread (even though that's probably inevitable now) but they do have a tendency to invite only certain members of a band.  If the band is still around, the current lineup is invited.  This avoids such issues as whether or not any particular previous lineup is the "classic" lineup and/or the one responsible for the band being so great in the first place.  If the band is no longer around, but had any changes in personnel, they don't necessarily bother tracking down all the members.

While I'd love to think that the Banks-Collins-Gabriel-Hackett-Rutherford lineup is being inducted, that lineup was not the original lineup, was not the lineup on the band's final studio album, was not the lineup that reunited in 2007, and is not the one that most people think of first.  They were together four years out of the band's 40, and put out four studio albums of the band's 15.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2009, 12:02:35 PM »
Whatever lineup they're inducting, Genesis definitely deserves the honor.  Not that I hold a very high opinion of the HOF in the first place.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
Whatever lineup they're inducting, Genesis definitely deserves the honor.  Not that I hold a very high opinion of the HOF in the first place.
This. Exactly this.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »
The band Genesis definitely deserves the honor.  Is there some kind of award or plaque or something that's given to the band?  I don't even know.  But if so, does it just say "Genesis" on it, or does it list names?  That would be the potentially sticky part.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »
Regarding the RRHOF, I read in Rolling Stone a few weeks back that Phil, Mike, and Tony aren't sure if they'll attend the ceremony, but that they'd keep the date open. Same with Gabriel, I think.

I don't think Hackett wants anything to do with the band anymore :sadpanda:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »
Peter has stated that he would not want to perform, because they learned last time that you can't just get up there and do it after decades away from it.  You have to rehearse, and he's prepping for his own solo tour right now.  He said he might try to make it if his rehearsal schedule allows it.  (In other words, it doesn't mean much to him, not enough to blow off a couple days' rehearsal.)

I haven't heard anything from Steve regarding it, but I would be surprised if he gave a damn, either.  Artists with actual merit and talent know that the RRHOF is a joke.  They'll go if they're not doing anything else that night, otherwise why bother?  They don't have an album to promote right now, they aren't going to play, and they honestly don't care about the "honor".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:17 PM »
Peter has stated that he would not want to perform, because they learned last time that you can't just get up there and do it after decades away from it.  You have to rehearse, and he's prepping for his own solo tour right now.  He said he might try to make it if his rehearsal schedule allows it.  (In other words, it doesn't mean much to him, not enough to blow off a couple days' rehearsal.)

I haven't heard anything from Steve regarding it, but I would be surprised if he gave a damn, either.  Artists with actual merit and talent know that the RRHOF is a joke.  They'll go if they're not doing anything else that night, otherwise why bother?  They don't have an album to promote right now, they aren't going to play, and they honestly don't care about the "honor".

Well said. :tup :tup

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2010, 06:30:36 AM »
Bump. I stole Mizzl's Genesis survivor. Doing Trespass right now

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »
Excellent!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2010, 07:13:26 AM »
Might have been posted before, but Tony Banks has personality (and Led Zeppelin crashes a Genesis interview):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZvL1gprM9M

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
Yeah, Tony Banks is a very conservative guy, and most of the time seems like a stick in the mud, but I've seen him occassionally open up and joke around a bit.  This bit here is about as loose as he gets, but it's probably more than most people have seen.  Phil Collins is course a clown and a very outgoing guy, and Mike Rutherford is somewhere in between, but I'm sure that they've seen a "fun" side of Banks that the public doesn't get to see very often.  Great musician/composer or not, you don't stay in a band for 30 years with someone who's literally no fun to be around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
  Great musician/composer or not, you don't stay in a band for 30 years with someone who's literally no fun to be around.

So when are John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy leaving Dream Theater to get away from John Myung? :p

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
Heh heh, good one.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »
  Great musician/composer or not, you don't stay in a band for 30 years with someone who's literally no fun to be around.

So when are John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy leaving Dream Theater to get away from John Myung? :p

They already did and called it "Liquid Tension Experiment."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »
Even the pop-era version of Genesis is awesome. I've been listening to Duke and the selftitled a lot.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »
Duke is a masterpiece, IMO.  The S/T is an awesome album too.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2010, 08:52:02 PM »
Time for a different direction.

In the 80's, Phil Collins' solo career was taking off, while Genesis seemed to be taking more/longer breaks, and their music was also getting simpler.  Less prog, more pop.  The conclusion most people drew (including myself) was that Phil was leading Genesis into the land of pop music.  Compare albums like the self-titled or Invisible Touch to any Gabriel-era album, and there's no question that the prog side was losing out to the pop side.

But... Banks and Rutherford were always first to defend Phil and claim that the band, as a committee, had chosen to strip down the sound and simplify things.  I still didn't believe it for a long time.  Then I picked up a few Tony Banks solo albums (which no one actually does).  Every song on Bankstatement was written by Tony, but it's a collection of pop songs.  A few of them have some depth, show a little of Tony's famous knack for cool chord and key changes, but it's not prog at all, and in general it's much more like 80's Genesis than 70's Genesis.

I also picked up a really cool album called Strictly, Inc. While it was meant to be the self-titled album by a new band, it's sometimes filed under Tony Banks, since he's the only recognizable name.  Jack Hues (from Wang Chung) is the vocalist.  I've always liked his voice.  It's mostly "regular" songs in the four-to-six minute range, but with Tony's amazing chords and sounds, and while simple compared to 70's Genesis, each has considerably more depth than "regular" pop songs.  Some are about as prog as, say, early Kansas or Styx.  Shorter, not too complex, but definitely more going on than what you'd hear on the radio.  The album closes with a 17-minute epic which is definitely prog.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2010, 07:49:15 AM »
Remember to vote in the survivor guys :P

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2010, 08:22:17 AM »
I need a tiebreaker vote for the Final Trespass round

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
The Lamb survivor is up right now here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=13143.0

Please vote :)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2010, 07:59:25 PM »
A Trick of the Tail survivor is now up in P/S

vote plz kthxbai

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »
I've never really listened to Genesis before, and I don't typically like bands from their era so I pretty much just blew them off. But today I saw their name and decided to give them a try.

I put their name into youtube and picked the first video that caught my attention. It was "No Son of Mine". I thought it was pretty cool, but I could not get over how horribly loud the snare drum is.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:45 AM »
Been watching The Way We Walk DVD and I'm convinced that the song Driving the Last Spike has to be their most underrated song of the 80's+ Collins era.  My God, that song is so powerful, especially live.

"They'll never see the likes of us again!"
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
I've never really listened to Genesis before, and I don't typically like bands from their era so I pretty much just blew them off. But today I saw their name and decided to give them a try.

I put their name into youtube and picked the first video that caught my attention. It was "No Son of Mine". I thought it was pretty cool, but I could not get over how horribly loud the snare drum is.

It's one of my favorite drum sounds. Phil Collins practically invented the gated snare and defined the entire 80's drum sound.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2010, 07:00:38 AM »

It's one of my favorite drum sounds. Phil Collins practically invented the gated snare and defined the entire 80's drum sound.

You need to Youtube Firth of Fifth and Dance on a Volcano (JR did a cover of DoaV, too :metal)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2010, 09:12:16 AM »
"Driving the Last Spike" is definitely a killer tune, as is "Fading Lights" from that same record (which also features one of the most God-awful songs ever, "I Can't Dance").

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2010, 09:19:11 AM »
No Son Of Mine is one if the best songs from the Collins era.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2010, 09:24:21 AM »
"Driving the Last Spike" is definitely a killer tune, as is "Fading Lights" from that same record (which also features one of the most God-awful songs ever, "I Can't Dance").

I actually like "I Can't Dance", even if the lyrics are terrible.  It's certainly better than "Hold on My Heart", which I usually just skip when I listen to that album.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »

Well, it's really god damn loud.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2010, 11:27:17 AM »
Make sure you check out all their different eras, as there's a lot of great music in each era.  My personal favorite era is the prog/pop transition period from ATToT through Duke.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
duke is a great record

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »
Duke is awesome.  It was the first CD I ever bought.