Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144358 times)

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 05:52:15 PM »
OH THANK YOU PLM!!!!

Albums, I guess:

1. A Trick of the Tail
2. Selling England By the Pound
3. Invisible Touch
4. Foxtrot
5. Wind and Wuthering/Genesis

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »
I'd just like to say that out of everything on Calling All Stations, Congo is the only song I can bear.

And From Genesis To Revelation is something I've probably listened to only once. I should find it and play it again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »
Ya know, as much as their pop-driven records from the 80s get dogged, Genesis and Invisible Touch, they both have some really good tunes on them that are reminiscent of their earlier prog days.  "Home by the Sea," "Silver Rainbow," "Domino" and "The Brazilian" are all keepers.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 08:52:11 AM »
I'd just like to say that out of everything on Calling All Stations, Congo is the only song I can bear.

*shrugs* And I don't even really like that song anyway. Gets a bit obnoxious after a while.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »
An ex-girlfriend asked me to play the organ at her wedding, and she asked if I could play "Follow You, Follow Me".  Of course I said "Yes"...

... "Follow You, Follow Me" got nixed by the girl's mom.  Apparently, traditional Catholic weddings have no room for rock music.  I don't know; I'm not Catholic.

Funny you should say that.  Indeed us Catholics frown upon secular music in the sacred liturgy, but my parents snuck it into their wedding as a prelude anyway.  There was a hymn in the book apparently called "Follow You" or something like that, and they told the priest that was the song. 

My parents FTW.

That's pretty awesome.

My dad apparently sang some song by Nazareth at their wedding... but we aren't Catholic.  In fact they were Baptist... which still doesn't make sense.  But anyway...

That's awesome.  Follow You Follow Me would be KILLER at a wedding... I wish I had thought of that!!!
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 08:42:03 PM »
It would have been.  I had an arrangement all figured out, ready to go, when I got the news.  I wasn't even invited to the wedding, since her parents were really strict and only Catholics were allowed to attend.  Yet another reason why organized religion can really be the suck.

We did two songs at my wedding.  "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin and "I'd Be So Happy" by Three Dog Night.  We went through the series of consultations with the minister, and he was a little wary (to say the least) about Led Zeppelin and Three Dog Night being played in the church, but we told him that the first song is about finding the love of your life and being thankful, and the other is about looking back after 20 years and knowing you made the right decision.  He was cool with that.  I charted up the organ parts ("Thank You" has organ, and she was the string section on "I'd Be So Happy"), and my lead singer and guitarist were my best man and one of the groomsmen.  I got to play the grand piano in the sanctuary.  That was sweet.  Playing love songs for your bride at your own wedding is the bomb.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »
It would have been.  I had an arrangement all figured out, ready to go, when I got the news.  I wasn't even invited to the wedding, since her parents were really strict and only Catholics were allowed to attend.  Yet another reason why organized religion can really be the suck.

I dislike bogus Catholics like the ones you've described... don't worry, you can come to my wedding.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »
While we're on the subject of wedding music I've determined that the song "Neverland" by Marillion is going to be featured at my wedding one way or another.  The "Follow You Follow Me" idea is good too though.  I'll have to consider it.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »
Is it just me, or does "A Trick of the Tail" remind you of Pink Floyd at all? Dunno...but it's one of the reasons I like it so much.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »
A Trick of the Tail, moreso than any other early Genesis album, sounds like it was taken straight from a book of old fairy tales, especially A Trick of The Tail; Robbery, Assault, and Battery; Squonk; and Ripples.  Gives it a very unique sort of charm.  The album cover only helps this overall mood.  Foxtrot would be the most Floyd-sounding Genesis album, IMO.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »
Yeah, I love Squonk  :)

I guess...I was just listening to it for the first time in ages a few days ago and was struck by the resemblance.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
"Ripples", "Entangled", and "Mad Man Moon" all have somewhat long, mellow instrumental passages, so maybe that's what's sounding like Pink Floyd to you.  "Ripples" and "Entangled" especially, with the keyboards and guitars playing off of each other.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
I heard Squonk on commercial radio once

at first I was :|

And then I was :D

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »
I heard No Son of Mine on a top 40 station once. It made my day.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »
Well, pop-Collins era Genesis is common on most classic rock radio statiosn

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »

On our old classic rock station, that was the Genesis song they would usually play.  On the new one, its usually either "Thats All" or "Tonight Tonight Tonight."  Makes me sad.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2009, 06:28:49 AM »
Follow You Follow Me made it to #23 on the US charts.  Still hear it on the radio occasionally.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2009, 07:13:51 AM »
"Ripples", "Entangled", and "Mad Man Moon" all have somewhat long, mellow instrumental passages, so maybe that's what's sounding like Pink Floyd to you.  "Ripples" and "Entangled" especially, with the keyboards and guitars playing off of each other.

And the vocal harmonies...but yeah, entangled especially.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2009, 07:47:30 AM »

That's awesome! :D

Online The Letter M

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
All this talk of ATOTT... it's a great album! I've been listening to it a LOT lately, and I think I like it as much as I like Wind And Wuthering (one of my top 5 Genesis albums).

I only listen to it with the inclusion of "It's Yourself", however, and I place it between "Squonk" and "Mad Man Moon". It's a shame the ending was still faded out early on the recent remaster, but I like the addition of the extra verse the previous edit didn't have.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
I put it between "Mad Man Moon" and "Robbery, Assault & Battery", but just because there's no official place for it, so I put it between Side One and Side Two.  That's my default place for bonus tracks when no obvious placement makes sense.

After listening to "Los Endos" so many times, I still keep expecting the percussion to come in when it gets to the closing section of "It's Yourself".  But what is this extra verse?  I have a version from way back - I think it was in one of the Archive sets - and also the Nick Davis remaster, but never compared them.  Or is there another version out there?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 11:52:34 AM »
I put it between "Mad Man Moon" and "Robbery, Assault & Battery", but just because there's no official place for it, so I put it between Side One and Side Two.  That's my default place for bonus tracks when no obvious placement makes sense.

After listening to "Los Endos" so many times, I still keep expecting the percussion to come in when it gets to the closing section of "It's Yourself".  But what is this extra verse?  I have a version from way back - I think it was in one of the Archive sets - and also the Nick Davis remaster, but never compared them.  Or is there another version out there?

I don't remember what my reasoning was for my placement, but listening to it earlier, I enjoy the running order of it... I guess you can place it anywhere, really, since none of the tracks segue into each other, but having it within the first half of the album makes more sense so you have the "reprise" of the "It's Yourself" theme later on, at the beginning of "Los Endos".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Yourself

According to this, the 2007 remaster "added an extra verse from a late 1975 demo version 'Beloved Summer'." Both the 2007 Remaster and the Archive 2 Boxset feature a version of the song that fades out 20 seconds earlier than the originally released B-Side (to both "Ripples" and "You're Own Special Way"), which clocked in at 5:46. The Archive 2 version clocks in at 5:26, while the 2007 remaster, with its extra verse, comes in at 6:15, 49 seconds longer than the prior version, but still misses the last 20 seconds.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »
Weird.  It sounds like Nick literally pasted the extra verse into the previously shortened version of the song, resulting in a hybrid which has the extra verse but still fades out early.  On the other hand, I don't consider this a huge loss, as the closing section tends to go on a bit with not a lot happening (and is probably why they shortened it).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
A Trick of the Tail is astonishingly consistent.  Except for the title track, which is not quite as good as everything else, everything else is just about of equal quality. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
Agreed.  I always found it somewhat funny, even odd, that the title track is the weakest track on the album.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2009, 11:11:30 PM »
Agreed.  I always found it somewhat funny, even odd, that the title track is the weakest track on the album.

Perhaps the album was named as such so as to garner attention to what they may have felt as the weakest song on the album? Then again, why include THAT and exclude "It's Yourself"... *shrug*... Who knows. It's a catchy tune though, and has grown on me as I have listened to the album lately!

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:15 PM »
It's a catchy enough song, and I don't dislike it.  It's just so... average.  Verse, verse, bridge, verse.  It's a "regular" song, the only one on the album.  (Squonk comes close, but its coda section saves it.)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »
It's a catchy enough song, and I don't dislike it.  It's just so... average.  Verse, verse, bridge, verse.  It's a "regular" song, the only one on the album.  (Squonk comes close, but its coda section saves it.)

I suppose its poppy-tendencies and "regular" structure were foreshadowing the inevitable shift towards (more) shorter, concise songs with catchy melodies and hooks.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »
I think it is about time we talk about how awesome "One for the Vine" is.  And more specifically, that awesome instrumental section in the middle, where Tony Banks' awesomeness is on full display.  :coolio

Offline Mladen

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2009, 01:51:24 AM »
I love the ''Follow me, I'll play the game you want me...'' part, it's lovely. My 2nd favorite on Wind and wuthering, right after Blood on the rooftops.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2009, 07:28:12 AM »

Well, naming it "Squonk" wouldn't have been such a good idea either...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2009, 07:50:18 AM »
Yeah, "Squonk" would be a crappy name.  But Genesis rarely had title tracks at all.  "The Lamb" is a bit obvious because it's a concept album; "Duke" is the same, almost.  But other than that, there's "Invisible Touch" and "A Trick of the Tail".  The rest are unrelated, save for a few inspired by lines from songs, but not the song titles themselves.  My guess is that "A Trick of the Tail" had some kind of hidden meaning.  They had just lost their lead singer and front man, and most everyone expected the band to either break up or fail completely.  Instead, the drummer took over lead vocals and they just carried on, seemingly without missing a beat.  It was a "trick" they pulled off quite well.

"One for the Vine" is easily one of my favorite Genesis tunes.  I love the "Follow me" section.  First time I heard the song, I kept waiting for it to come back; it seemed like the "chorus" after those long verses.  Nope.  It was, as Tony Banks put it, a "throwaway" part. 

I read an interview with Tony back in 78, just after "And Then There Were Three" came out, and he spoke of how their approach to songwriting was changing, how they used to intentionally juxtapose quiet sections with louder sections for effect, and often include throwaway parts in songs.  This didn't mean that that section was in any way inferior; it just served as the musical backdrop for part of the story, and thus didn't come round again.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2009, 07:31:10 AM »
Instead, the drummer took over lead vocals and they just carried on, seemingly without missing a beat.  It was a "trick" they pulled off quite well.

Why did they EVER use a drum machine?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:37 AM »
I love the ''Follow me, I'll play the game you want me...'' part, it's lovely. My 2nd favorite on Wind and wuthering, right after Blood on the rooftops.

God, thank you, Blood on the Rooftops does not get the love it should.  Great closer to W&W.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2009, 08:25:40 AM »

God, thank you, Blood on the Rooftops does not get the love it should.  Great closer to W&W.

What?  "Blood on the Rooftops" is a great song, but it ain't the closer on that record.  The trilogy that closes the record is tremendous:

"Unquiet Slumber for The Sleepers..."
"...In That Quiet Earth"
"Afterglow"