Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144322 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #665 on: March 10, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »
I really have to check out Frost one of these days.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #666 on: March 10, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »
Duke arrived today. Listening now, and Duke's Travels is Frost* through and through. Several parts remind me of Hyperventilate, and the entire thing is reminiscent of Nice Day For It.

I think you've got that backwards, chief. :biggrin:

Online The Letter M

« Reply #667 on: March 10, 2017, 06:44:47 PM »
Duke arrived today. Listening now, and Duke's Travels is Frost* through and through. Several parts remind me of Hyperventilate, and the entire thing is reminiscent of Nice Day For It.

LOL Must be a time traveler...but I get the meaning. Frost* have had some interesting sounds and influences, though I doubt Jem would say he had Genesis in mind.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #668 on: March 11, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »

LOL Must be a time traveler...but I get the meaning. Frost* have had some interesting sounds and influences, though I doubt Jem would say he had Genesis in mind.

-Marc.

Why not? It's Neo-Progressive Rock.. a subgenre that was started by bands that basically wanted to sound like Genesis :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #669 on: March 11, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »
It's Neo-Progressive Rock.. a subgenre that was started by Marillion, who basically wanted to sound like Genesis :D

There, that's better.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #670 on: March 11, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »

I am fully aware of that.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #671 on: March 11, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
It's Neo-Progressive Rock.. a subgenre that was started by Marillion, who basically wanted to sound like Genesis :D

There, that's better.

Very true! :lol Well...started by Marillion, but maintained by IQ. I just always thought that Frost* was too modern to be "Neo-Prog", which I associate with a very specific 80's/90's prog sound that is highly influenced by Gabriel-era Genesis, and while a band like Marillion started out like that, bands like IQ have been sailing that ship for ages now, but I never really felt like Frost* was directly in that subgenre - more of a tangent to it, really.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #672 on: March 12, 2017, 06:54:37 AM »

There, that's better.

Very true! :lol Well...started by Marillion, but maintained by IQ. I just always thought that Frost* was too modern to be "Neo-Prog", which I associate with a very specific 80's/90's prog sound that is highly influenced by Gabriel-era Genesis, and while a band like Marillion started out like that, bands like IQ have been sailing that ship for ages now, but I never really felt like Frost* was directly in that subgenre - more of a tangent to it, really.

-Marc.

Why just Marillion? IQ's Debut album came out the same year as Marillions, and I personally like it better than the first Marillion Albums...

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #673 on: March 12, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »
Why wouldn't Jem be influenced by Genesis? Don't know much about the guy other than his music which sounds pretty heavily Genesis inspired to me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #674 on: March 12, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
*Takes foot, inserts into mouth* I take back everything I said about Frost*/Jem not having Genesis influences. Forgive me as I have not listened to any Frost* in quite some time, so their music is a bit lost on me at the moment as I have been knee deep in anything from Neal Morse, Queen, 80's Genesis, and random classical music.

After one search on Google, this interview from 2006 turned up the following:

TH: Who are some of your actual musical influences?

JG: Genesis would be the first and foremost; with Tony Banks being such a huge influence on me when I was growing up. Being this budding keyboard player, I wanted to be him so badly, so I even copied his facial expressions. I was very influenced by their middle period, "The Wind & the Wuthering" [sic] and even "Duke," which I think is very underrated as a prog record. They were my first passion. From there, Rush were a very strong influence on me because of their clever use of keyboards and guitars against the melodies; tracks like "Tom Sawyer" were kind of these amazing bits of music as I was concerned. Another band I liked was called It Bites, so it a pretty narrow mix of bands because their output was so immense, it was like hearing a new band every album.

TH: Did you have any formal musical training or anything like that?

JG: No, but then again, I am self taught; learning Tony Banks keyboard solos, learning things like "Cinema Show" and "The Cage" when I was ten, I would spend my summer vacations sitting down with an album or video learning how to play all these keyboard solos, and still after three years later I couldn't read a note of music (laughing) but I could play all over the place on the piano, which really freaked my music teacher out.

So, there ya go, even definitive proof that Jem was influenced specifically by Duke, more or less, as he states that it's a very underrated prog record.

I guess I need to go back and spin some Frost* this coming week (as I continue my digestion of 80's Genesis - Abacab has REALLY grown on me this past week or so).

-Marc.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #675 on: March 12, 2017, 06:56:37 PM »
Yea I was also going to say middle period Genesis (late 70s/early 80s) rather than the Peter Gabriel stuff. Which sets him apart from all the other proggers trying to copy Supper's Ready.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline jammindude

« Reply #676 on: March 12, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »

There, that's better.

-Marc.

Why just Marillion? IQ's Debut album came out the same year as Marillions, and I personally like it better than the first Marillion Albums...

Not only that, but I think IQ's debut album sounds far more like a Gabriel-Genesis clone that Marillion's debut does.   

And I don't mean that in a bad way.   They are both really good albums....and yes, I agree that Tales from the Lush Attic is better than Script imho.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online The Letter M

« Reply #677 on: March 21, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
Unfortunately, I still haven't pin-pointed a decent spot to place "Twilight Alehouse" or "Happy The Man". Any suggestions?

-Marc.

Well, after a few weeks of listening to latter day Genesis, I've gone back in time and begun obsessively spinning early Genesis. This past week or so has been their first four albums, and I've listened to each one in my car at least once fully, and then NC and Foxtrot at home and at work, going back and forth between the two. I've actually settled on a simple track list expansion for Nursery Cryme, which brings the album up to about 50:30 or so after the inclusion of "Twilight Alehouse" and "Happy The Man", and if it were a vinyl, that means Side 1 would be tracks 1-4, ending with "Seven Stones", and side 2 would open with "Twilight Alehouse", which makes for a romp of a side-opener, followed by "Happy The Man", which creates a weird trilogy of H-titled songs. Surprisingly, both songs fit the feel of the album really well, despite being recorded afterwards.

Anyways, as I said, I've been listening to Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot a lot lately, so I want to put out the question to everyone here:
Nursery Cryme OR Foxtrot?

I know a lot of folks will probably pick the latter, but I've got to say, NC has been growing on me more than ever in the last week or two that I've been spinning it. The epics are just tremendous pieces, and the shorter ones are charming little works that are fun and speak to the band's wit and silliness - they didn't take their music TOO seriously, which makes it a bit more fun than some other bands of the time.

-Marc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #678 on: March 21, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
When I first got into Genesis in the late 70's, they had just released ...and then there were three... Genesis was still only just picking up steam in the U.S., and to that end, Charisma re-released Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot together as a double LP.

Didn't include the original cover art or lyrics, but there were some liner notes and apparently all musician credits, so that was cool.  Eventually, I replaced them with imports so they would "open up".  Cheapo American re-releases of these albums were just a regular jacket and blank sleeve.  If an album originally opened up, I always had to have that version.  Original album art, liner notes, musician credits, lyrics... I want it all.

Anyway, these two albums are probably the most similar to each other of any two from the Genesis catalog, so between that and how I first experienced them, they're practically two halves of a double album in my mind.  And of course, they're the first two albums by what would become the classic five-piece lineup.

I really can't choose a favorite between the two.  Nursery Cryme was amazing for the premiere album from the new lineup.  The songs on Foxtrot are a bit more sophisticated, but "The Musical Box", "The Retun Of The Giant Hogweed", and "The Fountain Of Salmacis" are very impressive, and I love "Harold The Barrel" (especially the surprise ending!)  It depends on the mood.  Nursery Cryme is a bit lighter, Foxtrot is for getting a little more heavy duty.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #679 on: March 21, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
I agree with all The Letter M said about Nursery Cryme, but for me, Foxtrot is the far better album. Also, I think that Twilight Alehouse fits in with Foxtrot better than with Nursery Cryme, the drum sound alone gives me that impression. Happy The Man fits in with Nursery Cryme, having that careless vibe wich gives me the feeling the band (as Letter M said) didn't take themselves too seriously at the time.
The compositions on Foxtrot are way better thought through and worked out, the (admittedly fantastic) longer songs on Nursery are still simpler in terms of structure, harmonies and rhythm. Not to say they're "simple" as they are, but songs like Can-Utility, Watcher Of The Skies, Get Em Out and of course possibly one of the three greatest tracks that ever came out of the Prog movement, Supper's Ready, are far more complex imo. (One of the other two would be Yes' The Gates Of Delirium for me)
But I also LOVE the acoustic tracks on Nursery; For Absent Friends and Harlequin. The former is just a lovely tune, a word picture with a very shy Phil Collins on vocals. The latter is a beautiful poem with a very english feeling to it. Seven Stones was supposed to be a homage to Crimso, afaik Tony even borrowed the mellotron from King Crimson at the time. But it's more of a ballad than Epitaph or In The Court. The Musical Box and Fountain are brilliant compositions of course, but Tony improved his skills in composition even more with the aforementioned Foxtrot songs and of course Selling England's Firth Of Fifth, Dancing With The Moonlit Knight or Wind & Wuthering's One For The Vine.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #680 on: March 21, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
I don't really care for Nursery Cryme. Musical Box is fantastic, Hogweed is cool, the rest I could do without.

Foxtrot is a near perfect album. Supper's Ready is their best song, but Watcher of the Skies is also up there. Even the more obscure tracks, such as Can Utility and Horizons, are very enjoyable.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #681 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
Foxtrot is a no brainer. My wife and I were just listening to Nursery Crime and were taken aback. We had been listening to live versions of all those songs and while there is nothing inherently bad about the recording of Nursery Crime, the live performances are far superior. I would probably choose Foxtrot regardless.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #682 on: March 21, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
Foxtrot, easily.  Supper's Ready and Can-Utility... are two of my favorite Genesis songs ever, and the rest of the album is solid. 

I like most of Nursery Cryme, but The Fountain of Salcamis is the only song from it I would say I consider more than merely good.  I've never gotten the mad love many have for The Musical Box.  It's a solid tune. No more, no less.  And this will be heresy to some, but I never listen to their version of The Return of the Giant Hogweed anymore since I like the Transatlantic cover a lot more.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #683 on: March 22, 2017, 02:42:03 AM »
I can't really listen to the TA version since Neal is not nearly as good as a singer as Peter is.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #684 on: March 22, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »
For perspective, my favorite Genesis period is "The Lamb..." through "Three Sides Live", my favorite album is either W&W or Abacab, and my favorite recorded moment of music ever is the Medley portion of "In The Cage" on the album 3SL (the video has a different, lesser performance).   

This is hard for me for similar reasons to Orbert's:  I had both on vinyl, and Foxtrot didn't really sound that great, but the first pressing of the Foxtrot CD was ABYSSMAL.   HORRID.  So I listened to Nursery Cryme more, and for me, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the end of Musical Box and The Return of the Giant Hogweed (one of my top five Gabriel Genesis songs).  But I abhor the early, twee Phil vocals ("More Fool Me" is one of my five least favorite Genesis songs ever), and, well, SUPPER'S READY.

I'm going to go with Foxtrot.   The 5.1 mix on the recent box sets is SO much an improvement over what came before, and it's just the stronger album from top to bottom, even if the highs of NC are perhaps better.   

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #685 on: March 22, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
I liked Phil's voice better when it had that quieter side.  When he became "Phil Collins, Pop God" and only used his loud, shouty voice, I really feel that the band lost something.  Basically they lost any kind of subtlety in the vocal department.  But again, it's probably easier for me to accept because that's where I started with them.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #686 on: March 22, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »
But I abhor the early, twee Phil vocals ("More Fool Me" is one of my five least favorite Genesis songs ever), and, well, SUPPER'S READY.

I don't get it, you like Genesis, but.. you.. don't like.. SUPPER'S READY??  :omg: :omg: :omg:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: March 22, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
But I abhor the early, twee Phil vocals ("More Fool Me" is one of my five least favorite Genesis songs ever), and, well, SUPPER'S READY.

I don't get it, you like Genesis, but.. you.. don't like.. SUPPER'S READY??  :omg: :omg: :omg:

No, no, I wrote that poorly.  I was saying "Nursery Cryme is great, but it has the twee Phil vocals I hate, and Foxtrot gets a huge plus one for having the epic Supper's Ready".   I actually LOVE that song, it just has never grown old for me.   I love the Pete version on Foxtrot, I love the Phil version on Seconds Out, and I love the Pete version from the Rainbow (in the Archive set). 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #688 on: March 22, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »

No, no, I wrote that poorly.  I was saying "Nursery Cryme is great, but it has the twee Phil vocals I hate, and Foxtrot gets a huge plus one for having the epic Supper's Ready".   I actually LOVE that song, it just has never grown old for me.   I love the Pete version on Foxtrot, I love the Phil version on Seconds Out, and I love the Pete version from the Rainbow (in the Archive set).

I was gonna say, there's very few Gabriel-Era Genesis fans that WON'T like "Supper's Ready"! But yes, any full version of SR is amazing, even the missing-Live version that has bounced around in bootleg circles for years and years, though I am glad we finally have the FULL Rainbow show from the SEBTP tour (even though Watcher and Musical Box were downloads - make the show a 2-CDr set like I did!).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:31:35 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #689 on: March 23, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »

I was gonna say, there's very few Gabriel-Era Genesis fans that WON'T like "Supper's Ready"! But yes, any full version of SR is amazing, even the missing-Live version that has bounced around in bootleg circles for years and years, though I am glad we finally have the FULL Rainbow show from the SEBTP tour (even though Watcher and Musical Box were downloads - make the show a 2-CDr set like I did!).

-Marc.

-Marc.

I hope this doesn't fall under the "illegal"-policy (if so I will delete this post), but is it possible you could give me that 2-CD version? Or where can I buy it?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: March 23, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »
Speaking of Genesis, is the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary set officially available?  I want that medley. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #691 on: March 23, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »

-Marc.

-Marc.

I hope this doesn't fall under the "illegal"-policy (if so I will delete this post), but is it possible you could give me that 2-CD version? Or where can I buy it?

Well, you can get "Live At The Rainbow" as part of the Genesis Live box set, which features the band's 4 major live albums (Live, Seconds Out, Three Sides Live, and The Way We Walk), a space for Live Over Europe (released not too long before that box set), and the bonus disc of the Rainbow gig, but because the show was over 80 minutes long, two songs had to be cut from the CD (as mentioned above), but the DVD version includes "Watcher Of The Skies" and "The Musical Box" in their rightful spots. Originally, I had felt it was OK that they were excluded because the versions on the first Live album are pretty iconic and the rest of the Rainbow show featured songs from SEBTP and "Supper's Ready", so between Live and Rainbow, you've got a really great 2-CD set of music.

As for the two download tracks (Watcher and Musical Box), you can probably find them online since they were made available for download by the band's website anyway. As for the rest of the Rainbow show, I'd highly recommend buying the box set since it's still available at a reasonable price (around $100 on Amazon and eBay), if you can afford it that is. It's totally worth it to have remastered versions of the live stuff as they all sound better than ever IMO, and the first live album even includes some Lamb Tour songs as bonus tracks. If that's out of the realm of affordability, I know the Rainbow show has had numerous bootlegs circulating the net for a long time, so that's always an alternative, though I'm not sure how available they are now since that box set came out 8 years ago.

-Marc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: March 23, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »
Let me go on record as saying ALL the Box Sets are must-haves for the Genesis fan.  I know some of the really hard core are sore that some of the bonus material wasn't higher quality, and there are still things missing (the Firth of Fifth from the '82 tour that was issued on green flexi-disk is a common one highlighted; no I'm not making that shit up), but for me, a 5.1 fan, listening to The Lamb or W&W in surround sound is just sublime.    They did a really good job on those boxes, and I can only wish that Peter, Phil, and Ozzy would take notes.   (I'm pissed that the Peter and Phil soundtrack songs and b-sides haven't been collected and/or released somewhere).

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #693 on: March 23, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »
Full disclosure is required here.  The 5.1 mixes from the box sets are very nice, but the guy who did them also messed with the mix.  In my opinion, this was not always a good thing.  A number of awesome, subtle things that were originally lower in the mix are now much louder.  Yeah, it's nice to hear those lines, but a huge part of early Genesis was the juxtaposition of quiet and not-so-quiet sections.  When everything's loud, there's no contrast and to me much of the beauty of the composition is lost.

If you're not familiar with the original mixes, this might not bother you, but as someone who grew up with them, the remixes sound clearer but are also victims of the loudness war.  5.1 is cool, remastering is good, but remixing is completely different.  I was looking forward to awesome surround-sound versions of my favorite albums.  Instead I got surround-sound versions of remixed versions of my favorite albums.  Not the same thing.  I sold my box sets on Ebay (for a profit).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #694 on: March 23, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
I am very proud to say that since this Christmas I own all of the boxsets  :coolio But my Rainbow concert only includes (as you said) the one CD. I will try to look for Watcher Of The Skies and The Musical Box.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: March 23, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
Full disclosure is required here.  The 5.1 mixes from the box sets are very nice, but the guy who did them also messed with the mix.  In my opinion, this was not always a good thing.  A number of awesome, subtle things that were originally lower in the mix are now much louder.  Yeah, it's nice to hear those lines, but a huge part of early Genesis was the juxtaposition of quiet and not-so-quiet sections.  When everything's loud, there's no contrast and to me much of the beauty of the composition is lost.

If you're not familiar with the original mixes, this might not bother you, but as someone who grew up with them, the remixes sound clearer but are also victims of the loudness war.  5.1 is cool, remastering is good, but remixing is completely different.  I was looking forward to awesome surround-sound versions of my favorite albums.  Instead I got surround-sound versions of remixed versions of my favorite albums.  Not the same thing.  I sold my box sets on Ebay (for a profit).

Fair points, but let's be clear:  louder in the MIX.  I don't at all think these are "loud" in the sense that Death Magnetic is loud.  They're not all compressed to shit; at least not to my ears.  But yes, the MIXES are different.  Noticeably so in some cases. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #696 on: March 23, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »
Okay, true.  The louder parts aren't much louder than before, but some quieter parts are louder than they used to be, and some individual parts within the songs themselves have been tinkered with.  It's not all brickwalled or anything, but it's been fucked with for no reason other than Nick Davis felt like it.  I know, Tony Banks approved the final mixes.  They're official releases.  But these are not the original albums sounding clearer; they've been fucked with.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: March 24, 2017, 06:31:23 AM »
^^^ You are correct.   The "Definitive Releases" from '94 are, I think, what you want for that (though the 3SL tracking is screwed up - "Fountain of Salmacis" is actually part two of "One For The Vine" AND "Fountain...", though the Supper's Ready edit has been fixed (and the album doesn't sound like it's playing through a throw pillow). 

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #698 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
I've been on a big Genesis kick for a while now, but only just recently starter digging into the B-sides and unused tracks.

It's Yourself has quickly become one of my favorite Genesis songs. Phil's vocals are so emotive, and the guitar is as majestic as any other 70s era Genesis tune. And when you make it segue into Los Endos, it becomes an epic on par with Cinema Show, almost. Very very beautiful.

I feel like Happy The Man sounds more like Trespass than Nursery Crime. Lots of bits remind me of Stagnation, for example.    Twilight Alehouse is another track that's definitely one of their best and most interesting songs. The drums at the end really rock.     Inside and Out is prettier than alot of what made it onto W&W, is that a Hackett song?

Naminanu is great as well. Reminds me of something Yes would do.

I still have a lot further down the rabbit hole yet to go. It sure is deeper than I thought.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: March 28, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
I've been on a big Genesis kick for a while now, but only just recently starter digging into the B-sides and unused tracks.

It's Yourself has quickly become one of my favorite Genesis songs. Phil's vocals are so emotive, and the guitar is as majestic as any other 70s era Genesis tune. And when you make it segue into Los Endos, it becomes an epic on par with Cinema Show, almost. Very very beautiful.

I feel like Happy The Man sounds more like Trespass than Nursery Crime. Lots of bits remind me of Stagnation, for example.    Twilight Alehouse is another track that's definitely one of their best and most interesting songs. The drums at the end really rock.     Inside and Out is prettier than alot of what made it onto W&W, is that a Hackett song?

Naminanu is great as well. Reminds me of something Yes would do.

I still have a lot further down the rabbit hole yet to go. It sure is deeper than I thought.

And you haven't even mentioned the three best of the b-sides:   Vancouver, Evidence of Autumn, and You Might Recall.