Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 145953 times)

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #315 on: July 03, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
Has anyone her seen the genesis tribute band "The Musical Box"? They are absolutely amazing. I saw them in february on their Lamb Tour and it was magical. They replicate everything from the original shows, from setlists to scene clothes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gRiUn0Bwyc&feature=related

Also, top 5 albums:

1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
2. Selling England by the Pound
3. Foxtrot
4. Nursery Cryme
5. Wind and Wuthering
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Online The Letter M

« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
Just so you guys know, I've started the Consolation Rounds on my Genesis Survivor, so if you jumped ship after We Can't Dance or the Gabriel-Era albums, I'd like to invite you to come back and vote again! After the 16-song Consolation Survivor, there will be the 40-song Finals!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #317 on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »
Phil's groove in Cinema Show right before and during Tony's solo (and that part too) is my favorite 7/8 moment in music.
Oh yea I love that bit.

Might be a controversial opinion, but I love Selling England, it is my favorite Genesis album. It was my intro to Gabriel era Genesis and it just blew me away. The way it flows as a whole is so unique to me, none of the other albums give me the same feeling. Firth of Fifth has an amazing instrumental section, the way the guitar reprises the themes played by the flute... :hefdaddy And I'm a sucker for Gabriel's flute playing.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #318 on: July 31, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »

Might be a controversial opinion, but I love Selling England, it is my favorite Genesis album. It was my intro to Gabriel era Genesis and it just blew me away. The way it flows as a whole is so unique to me, none of the other albums give me the same feeling. Firth of Fifth has an amazing instrumental section, the way the guitar reprises the themes played by the flute... :hefdaddy And I'm a sucker for Gabriel's flute playing.

That is not controversial at all, as it seems like most hardcore Genesis fans consider that one of their best albums, with many of those considering it THE best album the band ever did.  So, no, not controversial at all. :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: July 31, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
I love Selling England too, it's my favourite Genesis album and a Top 10 album overall for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #320 on: July 31, 2012, 11:12:42 PM »
My ranking:

15. Calling All Stations
14. From Genesis to Revelation
13. We Can't Dance
12. Abacab
11. Genesis
10. Invisible Touch
9. ...And Then There Were Three...
8. Trespass
7. Wind & Wuthering
6. Duke
5. Nursery Cryme
4. Foxtrot
3. A Trick of the Tail
2. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
1. Selling England by the Pound

1-4 are 5 star albums. 5-9 are 4. 10-12 are 3. The rest are 2.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #321 on: July 31, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »

That is not controversial at all, as it seems like most hardcore Genesis fans consider that one of their best albums, with many of those considering it THE best album the band ever did.  So, no, not controversial at all. :)
Ah nevermind then, for some reason I got the idea it was considered a lesser album compared to other Gabriel stuff.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »
It does get overlooked sometimes.  Nursery Cryme was the first album with Phil Collins and Steve Hackett, and many consider it the first "real" Genesis album (which is a bit unfair to Trespass, but whatever).  Foxtrot has the epic "Supper's Ready", and of course The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is their biggie, the double LP concept album.  Selling England by the Pound is somewhat overshadowed because each of the others has something to distinguish it, while SEBTP is "just a regular album".  But it has some great songs on it and does have great flow.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
Huh, I've always thought SEBTP was widely considered their best. Not by me though. Trick of the Tail and Foxtrot are my faves.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #324 on: August 01, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
Selling England is great, but yeah, it comes between Foxtrot, which is widely considered to be their early masterpiece, and Lamb, which is the big double album statement from Genesis, so it tends to be both overlooked and overshadowed both. When this thread prompted me to go back and re-listen to Gabriel era Genesis for the first time in a while, I found I actually prefer Selling England to Lamb these days. A whole lot of classics on it, and these days, to be honest, Lamb kind of bores me. Which might be sacrilege to admit, but there you have it.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »
I feel the same way.  I have to be in the mood for The Lamb.  That is, I have to feel like indulging in the whole thing, because it's greater than the sum of the parts.  There is a certain awesomeness to the whole thing, but it's also a bunch of cool songs with a bunch of weird and/or lesser songs in between.  So to me, there's not much point in subjecting myself to the short, weird songs if I'm not in for the whole thing.

Selling England is stronger overall, but I still find the first song from each side (yes, I still think in terms of album sides) to have a lot of filler.  Fortunately, both CD players and iPods have a Skip button. :lol

I actually prefer both Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot to either of the other two.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:32 AM »
My Top 10 ranking:

1. Selling England By The Pound
2. Foxtrot
3. Nursery Cryme
4. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
5. A Trick Of The Tail
6. Trespass
7. Wind And Wuthering
8. Duke
9. We Can't Dance
10. Genesis

Needless to say I prefer the Gabriel era. But the Collins stuff had some great songs too.

Offline adace

« Reply #327 on: August 02, 2012, 12:47:51 AM »
I listened to And Then There Were Three for the first time a few days ago. Really underrated album. Tony's keyboard work is phenomenal.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #328 on: August 02, 2012, 01:18:48 AM »
Burning Rope is the only song on ATTWT that really stands out for me. Most of the album is pleasant enough, but it has a really transitional feel. They found their footing again with Duke.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #329 on: August 02, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »
Tony really stepped up on ATTWT, as I'm sure there was a feeling that he had to, due to them losing their regular guitarist.  Yeah, it feels a bit transitional, but I like Mike's guitar work, which is (not surprisingly) often reminiscent of Steve's.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2012, 07:56:11 AM »
I actually rate ATTWT a lot higher than most, mainly because it's the first Genesis album I ever owned and I love it to death for that reason, but I do admit the band was figuring out what the limits of their sound was now as a trio and that's why the album feels transitional. By Duke they knew what they could do and wrote accordingly.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:41 AM »
For some reason I can't get into ATTWT. Nothing on the album clicks for me. I must give it another spin or two soon.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
I actually rate ATTWT a lot higher than most, mainly because it's the first Genesis album I ever owned and I love it to death for that reason, but I do admit the band was figuring out what the limits of their sound was now as a trio and that's why the album feels transitional. By Duke they knew what they could do and wrote accordingly.

This is me, exactly.  With no other Genesis albums to compare to, this was the standard, the starting point.  They still had a lot of the old sound, instrumentally, but with Phil on lead vocals for three albums now, they were working towards their own identity in that respect.  But the point is that if you don't try to compare it with what came before or after, there's still a lot of great stuff there.

When I worked my way back in the catalog, I found all kinds of cool stuff, and I was with them as they moved forward, until I really felt they ran off the rails in the late 80's.  But lots of people love Invisible Touch, so there you go.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #333 on: October 01, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
Just so you all know, my Genesis Survivor is about to end! The last round will be posted tomorrow morning, pitting the Top 2 songs together!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #334 on: April 09, 2013, 07:29:56 AM »
So, does anyone else like Smallcreep's Day by Mike Rutherford? Very good album from 1980 in the Genesis mold. Tracks like the instrumental Out into the Daylight and the Squonk-ish Moonshine would appeal to most Genesis fans, methinks. Also, Anthony Phillips plays keyboards on the album.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #335 on: April 09, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »
I've heard that it's very good, but I never had a copy of it back then.  Now, I can't even find it.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #336 on: April 09, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
Well, the CD is on Amazon for 12 bucks, so it's out there.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »
Well, the CD is on Amazon for 12 bucks, so it's out there.

I'm pretty patient. I'll wait five years or whenever I run across it and get it for $5 or something similar.

I'd reckon I'd be homeless if I spent even $10 for every CD I wanted. Plenty of music to listen to in the meantime.

While I have quite a few of ELP and Yes members solo albums, I've never got around to any Genesis solo albums unless you count the Peter Gabriel catalog (Which I kind of consider its own thing.)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
I have it both on CD and vinyl.  :biggrin: Easily his best work outside Genesis.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #339 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
Holy crap, I´ve been listening to ´70´s Genesis the last couple of days and they´ve been consistantly blowing my mind....

Everything from Tresspass on is f´in´ AMAZING!

Nursery Cryme is just....  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
Oh yes :tup

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #341 on: July 11, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »
Good for you! Have you listened to The Lamb yet? What do you think about it?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #342 on: July 11, 2013, 11:05:18 AM »
Just listened to it today (The lamb...). Hasn´t really sunk in yet, but that was quite a departure from the previous albums, I thought. I know it´s sort of a conceptalbum, but the songs are a lot shorter than on the previous records. I also find it amazing that they seemingly bounced right back after Gabriel left.

And yeah, you can clearly hear where Marillion got a lot of their influences from.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #343 on: July 11, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
I love seeing the love for Nursery Cryme.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
Just listened to it today (The lamb...). Hasn´t really sunk in yet, but that was quite a departure from the previous albums, I thought. I know it´s sort of a conceptalbum, but the songs are a lot shorter than on the previous records. I also find it amazing that they seemingly bounced right back after Gabriel left.

And yeah, you can clearly hear where Marillion got a lot of their influences from.
Yeah, it's quite different. I personaly adore it and would probably place it as my favorite Genesis albun. Then again I can certainly see why some people wouldn't like it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #345 on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:45 PM »

Except for Grendel and maybe a few other early songs (from Script), I really don't hear a lot of Genesis influence in Marillion.

I won't deny they were an influence, but I don't think it's very obvious other than a few early examples.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #346 on: July 14, 2013, 03:09:53 AM »
I hear a lot of influences in Fish's phrasing, but that could just have been coincedance.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #347 on: July 14, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »
Anyone else here like the Genesis Archives live show of the lamb lies down more than the original? It just feels more powerful with less weird effects. In fact, I deleted the studio version of the lamb off my iPod because I just enjoy the live recording so much more. Anyone else get that feeling or am I insane?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #348 on: July 14, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
The live version is very good, and everything flows better because it's being done live and, well, it has to flow because it's basically one continuous "take".  But it's hard for me to rank it above the studio version, which I've been listening to for over 30 years.  Different versions of the same material, each with their strengths.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #349 on: July 14, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
The live version is very good, and everything flows better because it's being done live and, well, it has to flow because it's basically one continuous "take".  But it's hard for me to rank it above the studio version, which I've been listening to for over 30 years.  Different versions of the same material, each with their strengths.
Can't really argue with that ;)