Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144347 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:06 AM »
PG era: Selling England by the Pound and/or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
PC era: A Trick of the Tail and/or Wind & Wuthering

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2012, 10:04:07 AM »
Bump

I was just thinking about this a few days ago.  What would the seminal album by Genesis be?  Everyone talks about Close to the Edge being Yes' landmark album.  I would guess Foxtrot would be Genesis', just because of Supper's Ready.

For the Gabriel era, it's definitely Foxtrot. Really the album where Genesis well and truly became Genesis, at least for that line up. Spotting a seminal album for the Collins era is a bit harder...the best of the prog era Collins stuff is IMO Wind and Wuthering, while the more pop era is hard to pinpoint. Put a gun to my head, I'd say Invisible Touch, because the pop and the prog is pretty well balanced. A lot of people probably forgot because it was in a beer commercial that Tonight Tonight Tonight is nearly nine minutes long, and the second side had a 10 minute track AND an instrumental. And the pop tracks on Invisible Touch are magnificent. It wins the landmark battle for me, though, because it was the album where Genesis moved from "successful rock band" to "really fucking HUGE rock band." Hard to overlook that.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #282 on: May 18, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »
Damn, Jaq, I've been listening to Genesis for 35 years and pretty much agree with everything you just said.

Personally, Invisible Touch is my least favorite Genesis album after the debut, but that's mostly because the pop tracks were all overplayed on the radio and I really don't like any of them, and the "prog" tracks are too obviously (1) a regular song padded out by an extended middle jam which is your typical Banks series of vignettes and (2) two shorter songs glued together.  Even the instrumental is a typical Genesis instrumental; that is, a theme-and-variations thing, not a "real" instrumental in the sense that it actually goes anywhere.

But honestly, for all that, what you said about the album is true, and it is widely regarded as their best latter-day album.  It's certainly not their fault that I don't really like it.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #283 on: May 18, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »
My favorite PG era album is Lamb, my favorite PC era album is Duke.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »
My favorite albums by Genesis were always Selling England By The Pound, and A Trick of the Tail. But everything from Trespass thru W&W are glorious.

Agh, listening to Transatlantic's cover of Giant Hogweed makes me want to get back into this band. It's been so long.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
OK!  I can take a hint.
picking up Duke right now

Offline Jaq

« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
Damn, Jaq, I've been listening to Genesis for 35 years and pretty much agree with everything you just said.

Personally, Invisible Touch is my least favorite Genesis album after the debut, but that's mostly because the pop tracks were all overplayed on the radio and I really don't like any of them, and the "prog" tracks are too obviously (1) a regular song padded out by an extended middle jam which is your typical Banks series of vignettes and (2) two shorter songs glued together.  Even the instrumental is a typical Genesis instrumental; that is, a theme-and-variations thing, not a "real" instrumental in the sense that it actually goes anywhere.

But honestly, for all that, what you said about the album is true, and it is widely regarded as their best latter-day album.  It's certainly not their fault that I don't really like it.

This post made me realize I've been listening to Genesis for thirty one years. OUCH.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »
I brought up Phil Collins on Spotify the other day. Man, his early solo albums are really good. I really don't know what happened to the guy. All he seemed interested in after some point in the 90s was seemingly love songs.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06:54 PM »
So, just as an update on my Survivor - we just finished with DUKE and are now moving on with ABACAB, as we enter into the band's last 5 albums. If you're a fan of this period, I implore you to come over to the Polls/Survivors forum and come vote!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #289 on: June 03, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
Just started the Survivor for the band's self-titled 12th album, so if there's any fans of that album, come join in the fun!

Also, I just wanted to bring up how horrible "Illegal Alien" is, and that I hope it goes away in this first round! The rest of the album is better than that one song, and in fact, I would almost take "Who Dunnit?" over "Illegal Alien"....almost... it would be effective torture if someone played those two songs over and over again whilst tied down and forced to listen for hours.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
I must be the only person in the universe who actually likes Illegal Alien. It's catchy and fun. Oh well.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
It isn't that bad.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
I must be the only person in the universe who actually likes Illegal Alien. It's catchy and fun. Oh well.

No, you're not. I like it quite a bit myself. The video is pretty cool too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »
Yep, Illegal Alien is a good tune, and the video always cracked me up.  The hate it gets from the diehard Genesis prog heads is laughable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #294 on: June 03, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »
Yep, Illegal Alien is a good tune, and the video always cracked me up.  The hate it gets from the diehard Genesis prog heads is laughable.

I don't really "hate" it, I just feel like it's my least favorite song on the album, and that every other song on Genesis is at least as good, if not better (or a whole lot better).

And I wouldn't call myself a "diehard Genesis prog head" - I enjoy their last 5 albums quite a bit, no matter how proggy the songs are.

I will admit, though, "Illegal Alien" sure is damn catchy.

-Marc.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #295 on: June 04, 2012, 03:41:05 AM »
Actually I like Illegal Alien a lot. It is a litte catchy and funny tune.

It puts a smile on my face everytime I hear it, partly because when I heard it first, with my limited knowledge of the english language at the age of fourteen, I was wondering why Phil Collins sang about ugly extraterrestrial beings that have acid for blood.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #296 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:33 PM »
Who needs drugs when you've got live Duke........seriously.

Two days ago it was all about Bruford and 1976

Sometimes I think the best thing Gabriel ever did was leave and pursue a solo career.

Gabriel and post-Gabriel Genesis> Gabriel Genesis

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: June 05, 2012, 07:34:44 AM »
Sometimes I think the best thing Gabriel ever did was leave and pursue a solo career.

It was. 

Am I the only one who prefers Foxtrot to Selling England?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #298 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »

It was. 

Am I the only one who prefers Foxtrot to Selling England?

I also prefer Foxtrot over Selling England by the pound.

I get way more mileage out of Foxtrot and I really do not like The battle of Epping Forest that much.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #299 on: June 05, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »
I love "Firth of Fifth" and apparently I'm about the only person who likes "More Fool Me" but that's about it from Selling England by the Pound for me.  "The Cinema Show" is a great song, but having grown up with the Seconds Out version, I'm always disappointed when they get to the end and it fizzles down into the segue/reprise rather than building up to that amazing coda.

Foxtrot, meanwhile, is awesome and consistent all the way through.  I like every song on Foxtrot.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #300 on: June 05, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »
I love "Firth of Fifth" and apparently I'm about the only person who likes "More Fool Me" but that's about it from Selling England by the Pound for me.  "The Cinema Show" is a great song, but having grown up with the Seconds Out version, I'm always disappointed when they get to the end and it fizzles down into the segue/reprise rather than building up to that amazing coda.

Foxtrot, meanwhile, is awesome and consistent all the way through.  I like every song on Foxtrot.

More Fool Me is not only my favorite song on the album, but its my 2nd favorite Genesis song of all time right behind Entangled.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: June 05, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
I also love More Fool Me. In fact, I love just about everything about Selling England.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #302 on: June 05, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »
Ah, I feel vindicated or something.

I've always liked it, and it wasn't until years later that it occurred to me that it was Phil singing lead while Peter was still in the band.  For a while after taking over lead vocals, Phil still had that beautiful, sweet voice, and I was so used to it that I didn't even think about the fact that I was hearing it on a Gabriel-era song.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #303 on: June 05, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
I like Foxtrot more than Selling England.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #304 on: June 05, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »
I like Foxtrot more than Selling England.

I love you.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #305 on: June 05, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #306 on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »
It doesn't get much more epic than The Cinema Show live. Can't really get into the studio version much at all.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #307 on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:02 PM »
The one thing I love about the original studio version is where the synths break into harmony when they go into E major towards the end of the instrumental.  It's hard to describe, but it's where they go into E for the last time, after the sixteenth-note arpeggios in D, then they stay in E for the segue/reprise "Aisle of Plenty".  On the Seconds Out version, Tony plays that line without the harmony, and I think it's lacking something.  When he does it during the medley on the Three Sides Live version, he does it in harmony, as on the studio version.  Even though I don't really like how they chopped it up for the medley, it was cool to hear the harmony again in a live setting.

That's really about it, besides Peter's tooting around on the flute during the first break.  It's not much, but it's kinda cool.  I always liked it when he broke out the flute, because the flute is one of the first instruments I learned to play.

Yeah, I'm a music geek.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »
Saw the medley live on the tour they taped 3 sides live
from that day on I was a huge fan didn't really know the earlier stuff of than Lamb (my first exposure to them was "than there was three" )
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2012, 02:47:56 PM »
Phil's groove in Cinema Show right before and during Tony's solo (and that part too) is my favorite 7/8 moment in music.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »

Yeah, I'm a music geek.

I think we're all guilty of that around here.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
:tup

Offline Jaq

« Reply #312 on: June 21, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »
Bringing back this thread to just say something that's happened to me since I recently started listening to older Genesis again for the first time in years.

Why'd it take me so fucking long to realize how brilliant The Knife is? I guess in my youth I dismissed the first two albums because Hackett and Collins weren't on them, but JESUS The Knife is really good. Like it's made my top ten of Genesis songs, no joke. Those organ lines, the fantastic guitar work, one of Gabriel's best vocal performances-wow. Really need to get the Gabriel era live album again, because I can't imagine that this song with Collins and Hackett on it isn't anything short of brilliant/

/fanboy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:00:37 PM by Jaq »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #313 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
"The Knife" is definitely one of the highlights from the original lineup.  It's like Trespass is almost all mellow, then they totally cut loose with "The Knife".

And yeah, that first Genesis Live is awesome.  My understanding is that there's an "expanded" version available with "Supper's Ready" on it.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #314 on: June 21, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »
I had heard that the version of Supper's Ready recorded that night-Genesis Live was originally a King Biscuit Flower Hour show, if memory serves-has turned up on a live Genesis box set with the other songs from Genesis Live, but I'd kill for that album with Supper's Ready. I used to have it on vinyl, but silly me, I sold my collection.

(edit): Just found the Genesis Live version of The Knife on Youtube. Man, Phil KILLS it-he's doing single bass work that's better than some people do with double. Yeah I need to get this on CD.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:13:22 PM by Jaq »