Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 145961 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
Meh. I'm not a Collins-era fan at all. Almost all pop doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

DUKE.

DUKE.

LISTEN TO DUKE.
Have before. It's okay.

Listen to it again with an open mind. Some beautiful compositions on that record, and you shouldn't be missing out on it just because its not a Gabriel led album.

If you can get past the fact that half the songs are Phils depressive 'omg i was just divorced' songs, then it's a fantastic record

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2010, 10:23:51 PM »
Two of the twelve tracks hardly equals half the songs.  "Misunderstanding" is depressing, plus it got overplayed on the radio, but I actually like "Please Don't Ask".  Anyone who's been through a divorce or just a bad breakup would be able to relate to it.  (I've actually been through neither, but I find the perspective of the protagonist to be realistic and kinda cool.)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »
Two of the twelve tracks hardly equals half the songs.  "Misunderstanding" is depressing, plus it got overplayed on the radio, but I actually like "Please Don't Ask".  Anyone who's been through a divorce or just a bad breakup would be able to relate to it.  (I've actually been through neither, but I find the perspective of the protagonist to be realistic and kinda cool.)

Personally, I love the depressing atmosphere of the record. Sad music is typically my favorite type of music, because even when I can't directly relate to the subject matter, I can atleast appreciate where that person is coming from.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »
Duke, the story, is a sad story.  A story of loss and alienation.  Add to that a couple of depressing songs from Phil, one from Mike and another from Tony, and it's a pretty downbeat album altogether.  Even "Man of Our Times" and "Cul-De-Sac" are downers, aren't they?

Incredibly, I've never actually thought about that before.  It's one of my favorite Genesis albums if not the favorite, and I guess I've always thought of it as upbeat because of the fanfare in C that opens the album, and its reprise at the end.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2010, 07:08:24 AM »
Holy shit, that just blew my mind, it is a sad album isn't it?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2010, 08:14:02 AM »
Yeah, that was a bit of a shocker.  Been listening to it for 30 years (it was the first CD I bought) and never thought about how sad it all is.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »
Meh. I'm not a Collins-era fan at all. Almost all pop doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

DUKE.

DUKE.

LISTEN TO DUKE.
Have before. It's okay.

Listen to it again with an open mind. Some beautiful compositions on that record, and you shouldn't be missing out on it just because its not a Gabriel led album.
I did listen to it with an open mind. As I said, it's okay. Which means 3 out of 5 for me.

BTW, I do love A Trick Of The Tail and Wind and Wuthering.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »
The Duke suite is fantastic. And anyone who says that Collins era Genesis is all pop needs to listen to this record.

And I know I've said this so many times already, but Turn It On Again is one of the best short songs ever written

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »
It was always a bummer that Collins' default lyrics were about cheesy breakup topics. There's way too many of them on Genesis and his solo albums.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
BTW, I don't know how many people have listened to those, but his early solo albums are very cool, and edgy. Face Value is a great album, and Hello I Must Be Going too.
I love this tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v31b8em5_VM

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »
True.  Phil's first two solo albums were great.  I picked up No Jacket Required as well, and could already feel things starting to turn, so I stopped with the solo Phil.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »
I still haven't listened to Phil's solo albums/ I really wanna check them out but theres just so much music out there that it always gets pushed to the back.  :lol

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #257 on: December 12, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »
Just chiming in to say that Fading Lights is an amazing song and definitely one of their best album closers. I really, really love Tony Banks's long keyboard solos (not just in this song).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #258 on: December 12, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »
Just chiming in to say that Fading Lights is an amazing song and definitely one of their best album closers. I really, really love Tony Banks's long keyboard solos (not just in this song).

LOVE this song, and the live version on The Way We Walk is even better! Just Tony, Mike and Phil jamming away at their last long-form song, and I agree, Tony's solo on this song is amazing, one of his best during the band's last decade together.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
I love all of Phil Collins's solo albums. They're pop, but pop written by very capable musicians and have an awesome sound.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »
If you Don't like We Can't Dance we are NOT A MATCH.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »
True.  Phil's first two solo albums were great.  I picked up No Jacket Required as well, and could already feel things starting to turn, so I stopped with the solo Phil.

That was pretty much my experience. Living through that I have revised my opinion of Genesis beginning with the Invisible years, but have not changed my opinion about Phil after those first few albums.

I do have a soft spot for his Big Band album and might like his Motown album should I be in a position to hear it one day.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »
A Hot Night in Paris is a kickass album!  :tup

Probably my favorite after the first two solo albums.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2010, 11:56:34 PM »
Regarding Phil's solo albums, I enjoy the stuff that sounds a bit like Genesis and also the rockier songs. Not a fan of the Motown stuff, though.

Also, ...But Seriously has some pretty underrated tunes imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
Bump

I was just thinking about this a few days ago.  What would the seminal album by Genesis be?  Everyone talks about Close to the Edge being Yes' landmark album.  I would guess Foxtrot would be Genesis', just because of Supper's Ready.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: May 05, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »
I would say Selling England By The Pound - it has Firth Of Fifth, The Cinema Show, and their first charting single I Know What I Like.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #266 on: May 05, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
I'd agree with Zydar, although my personal favorite Genesis album is The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #267 on: May 05, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Zy, ever hear the version of I Know What I Like by GTR?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »

No I haven't. Is it good?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #269 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »

No I haven't. Is it good?

Not bad.

Here's a link for samples of that live CD.

https://www.amazon.com/King-Biscuit-Flower-Hour-Presents/dp/B000005EJ2
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: May 05, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »
I'd say Foxtrot for sure. Selling England I guess too, but it's by far my least favourite PG era album.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: May 05, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
My personal favorite is Selling England by the Pound but I have heard a lot of people saying The Lamb... is their best. Foxtrot is also a great album. I think those would be the top 3. Just put them in the order you prefer
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Frosthawk

• Striving for futility
« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
Foxtrot probably edges out as my favorite, then Nursery Cryme, then Selling England, then probably Wind & Wuthering. There's at least SOMETHING I like on each album though. I have been a fan of this band for as long as I can remember - when I was 6/7, their Live at Wembley Stadium concert was my favorite thing ever.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #273 on: May 18, 2012, 02:32:25 AM »
:bump:

So... someone wanna recommend me a couple Genesis albums? At least one Peter Gabriel led album and one Phil Collins led album... finally breaking down to check them out but I dont know where to start...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: May 18, 2012, 02:35:23 AM »
Peter Gabriel era: Selling England By The Pound, Foxtrot
Phil Collins era: Duke, A Trick Of The Tail

You won't regret it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:51 AM »
Peter Gabriel era: Selling England By The Pound, Foxtrot
Phil Collins era: Duke, A Trick Of The Tail

You won't regret it.

Awesome! I'll check them out!

It's funny.. I have been wanting to expand my horizons with some of the older prog bands out there (Genesis, King Crimson, Yes...)... the biggest problem was unlike the other two... I know nothing of Genesis's material. I'll report back when I can :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2012, 03:28:45 AM »
Gabriel: Foxtrot
Collins: Duke

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »
:bump:

So... someone wanna recommend me a couple Genesis albums? At least one Peter Gabriel led album and one Phil Collins led album... finally breaking down to check them out but I dont know where to start...

Peter Gabriel- Foxtrot  (but give it 2-3 listens for it all to sink in. There's a lot to digest)
Collins- A trick of the tail (this is the album that got me into genesis)

I never thought I would have liked Genesis, but they have since become one of my favorite bands.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:03:56 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
I know there's a lot of love for Duke here, but to my ears, there's a major shift in sound when Hackett leaves the band after Wind & Wuthering. Duke was the first post-Gabriel album I had picked up, and it really soured me on the post-Gabriel era until I picked up Trick of the Tail, which (IMO) just blows Duke out of the water.

So, my recommendations would be:

Gabriel: Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound
post-Gabriel: Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering

And *make sure* you get the 2008 remasters. They sound amazing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
There's no question that the structure of things changed when they lost Hackett.  Instead of keyboards and guitars on an equal footing in both the writing and playing, we suddenly had the keyboardist doing the majority of the writing, and a bass player who could play some guitar and could also write some songs.  And Phil Collins, who stepped up his writing contributions as well.

But Duke has a lot of great music IMO.  Rutherford always did play guitar in the band, and he has some great moments.  Mostly colorful little licks and fills, but very tasty.  They became more of a keyboard-driven band for sure, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that they just needed more variety in the writing itself.