Author Topic: [Music] Ayreon - The Human Equation  (Read 7426 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Ayreon - The Human Equation
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »
Reviewed By: Nicholas R. Andreas
Artist: Ayreon
Album: The Human Equation
Genre: Progressive Metal
Year of Release: 2004
On Amazon:
Regular Edition – https://www.amazon.com/Human-Equation-Regular-Ayreon/dp/B0001YNK70/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231693057&sr=8-2
Special Edition – https://www.amazon.com/Human-Equation-Limited-Bonus-DVD/dp/B00020QZNO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231693057&sr=8-3
Limited Edition – https://www.amazon.com/Human-Equation-Special-Bonus-Book/dp/B00020QZNY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231693057&sr=8-7

As with most concept albums one can not simply approach The Human Equation song by song. The album is a sprawling two disc journey taken along with a man in a coma struggling with his emotions to come back into consciousness. The man is voiced by composer and primary instrumentalist Arjen Lucassen, while his best friend, wife, and nine emotions are voiced by a talented and diverse cast of singers. The album would stand alone musically, or with almost any of the singular vocalists, but it is the amazing way in which Arjen throws everything together that makes the album truly special.

The album begins with a soft track, medical machines heard in the background to signal the state of the man as Arjen, playing best friend opens the dialog wondering about the state of the man. Although he said he was originally intending someone else for the part, listening back I can’t imagine anyone except Arjen playing the role of best friend, sure, he is not an overly talented singer, and he surrounds himself with the absolute best, but there is a special character and emotion found within Arjen that makes his roles special nearly all the time. For the second half of the song we are treated to the then unknown Marcela Bovio. Arjen sent out a call for unknown talent to appear on his next record, and out of a myriad of tapes sent in to what might as well be Dutch Rock Opera Idol, Arjen pulled out what was truly a diamond in the rough. Hailing from Mexico Marcela’s voice is as close to an angel as I can imagine. Soft and beautiful yet strong when required she outshines any female who attempts her style. 

Through the second and third tracks we are further introduced to the varied and talented group of singers that are showcased on the album. The songs feature some of the heavier material on the album, music always accenting the emotion and singers of the time. Fear and Rage are introduced, voiced by Mikael Akerfeldt and Devin Townsend respectively, and they give performances to be remembered. The strong emotion of the album and their parts within truly justify and make all the better the growling seen throughout the album. Never overdone they simply display their parts as best they can. On the other hand several parts of the album feature softer sections, often with thick warm synthesizes more reminiscent of long gone progressive rock giants than of a band putting out albums in the new millennium.

“Hope” points out one of the albums strongest points. The song shows how Arjen perfectly crafts the music to fit the mood and lyrics of the piece. “Love” is another example with the music reminiscent of the type of dance where the man and his wife met. And a review of Ayreon is never complete without comments on how well Arjen uses the vocalists on his album. Each person seems perfectly suited and yet molded for their role, as Arjen once again shows his knack to always bring out the best in any singer. James LaBrie is seen using a low, deep and emotional side of his voice which is so often overlooked in Dream Theater these days. The beauty of Irene Jansen and Heather Findlay is so very apparent, and singers like Devin Graves and Magnus Ekwall are used to the extent of their particular niche.

Also appearing on the album are many unusual instruments including the violin, cello, and even a didgeridoo. That in itself is not all that amazing, what is however is how well Arjen uses each in his music, incorporating perfectly every instrument (or instrumentalist) he can get his hands on. The album also features one of my favorite closing tracks of all time. “Confrontation” sums up the theme of the album while the music powers forward ever faster and more intense until James LaBrie lets out one final shriek which leaves your heart pounding and wishing there was more.

Although the album features so many wonderful individual talents and songs, what it is as a whole truly makes it shine. From the concept to the music to the interplay of voices the album comes together as a masterpiece, only helped by Arjen’s beautiful engineering and mixing work. From the heavy to the atmospheric this album covers everything with beauty and precision, and it stands out as Arjen’s crowning achievement to date.

The album is available as a 2CD regular release, 2CD/1DVD special edition, and a very special limited edition that has the album shaped like a book. With the DVD in one cover, the 2CD’s in the other cover, and an extended booklet in book type binding in between it is the nicest packaging for a multi-disk set that I’ve ever seen. The DVD contains a very nice and lengthy documentary on the album, a brief explanation on the concept, a video for Love, and a few other small goodies.

Nick’s Rating: 10/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: [Music] Ayreon - The Human Equation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
Good review as always. I will forever hate Arjen for ending it the way he did.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »

Why so?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »

Why so?

Because you have this driving, powerful, epic-as-fuck outro, culminating in this epic scream from JLB, and right when you're about to cream your pants from the amazingness, it cuts out, MID FUCKING SCREAM, to this retarded sci fi shit.  >:(

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »

Why so?

Because you have this driving, powerful, epic-as-fuck outro, culminating in this epic scream from JLB, and right when you're about to cream your pants from the amazingness, it cuts out, MID FUCKING SCREAM, to this retarded sci fi shit.  >:(
It was just a way to connect THE to his other albums, keeping it apart of the Saga he had going with previous albums. I think it's a decent ending.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:12:06 PM »

Why so?

It was just a way to connect THE to his other albums, keeping it apart of the Saga he had going with previous albums. I think it's a decent ending.

I know all about the connection to the other albums and everything, I don't fucking care. You want to connect fine, but don't interrupt an otherwise AMAZING ending to do it. Jut end the song as you would, then throw in the sci fi stuff. It seriously destroys that song for me, I get so fucking pissed off listening to it.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »

Why so?

I know all about the connection to the other albums and everything, I don't fucking care. You want to connect fine, but don't interrupt an otherwise AMAZING ending to do it. Jut end the song as you would, then throw in the sci fi stuff. It seriously destroys that song for me, I get so fucking pissed off listening to it.
Fine.

Offline faemir

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »

Why so?

Fair do's. My reaction was woah, plot-twist! And the way it cut off mid-way in the dramatic scream made it even better. but each to their own.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:46:37 PM »

Why so?

Fair do's. My reaction was woah, plot-twist! And the way it cut off mid-way in the dramatic scream made it even better. but each to their own.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:11:45 AM »
Meh.  This is the record where I jumped off the Ayreon bandwagon for good.  It has some good songs, but has far too many unmemorable songs.  And I hate the sound of the drums on it (way too power metal-sounding).

Offline faemir

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 02:34:19 PM »
Meh.  This is the record where I jumped off the Ayreon bandwagon for good.  It has some good songs, but has far too many unmemorable songs.  And I hate the sound of the drums on it (way too power metal-sounding).

Which songs would these be, i'm looking but don't see anyway  :P

Offline lutima

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 02:51:24 AM »
Great review Nick !
I have the 'especially' special edition  ;D
I love the album, James of course and specially Irene !  :tup
About the ending @Sigz...how aboooot Arjen working with James again on another album to continue the story someday ??  :angel: ;)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »
how aboooot Arjen working with James again on another album to continue the story someday ??  :angel: ;)

??? Will there be the other part with James LaBrie?  :metal
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 08:02:31 AM »

This. Oh god this.   :censored

I had to actually open Day 20 in Audacity and edit off the sci part and instead do a fade out just to stop me from going crazy at the ending  :P
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline lutima

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »
how aboooot Arjen working with James again on another album to continue the story someday ??  :angel: ;)

??? Will there be the other part with James LaBrie?  :metal

I wasn't suggesting it will actually happen, but what if it would happen ?  ;)
I do know Arjen loved to work with James, so you'll never know what will happen in the future.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 02:12:07 PM »
I thought this album was extremely corny the first several times I tried to listen to it, but I eventually got invested in the narrative, and now I feel this is the most emotive album I've ever heard, culminating with a barrage of orgasmic, spine tingling, goosebump inducing vocal melodies on Day 20.  It also has what I consider to be Mikael Akerfeldt's best growl that has been recorded.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 03:37:38 PM »
I thought this album was extremely corny the first several times I tried to listen to it, but I eventually got invested in the narrative, and now I feel this is the most emotive album I've ever heard, culminating with a barrage of orgasmic, spine tingling, goosebump inducing vocal melodies on Day 20.  It also has what I consider to be Mikael Akerfeldt's best growl that has been recorded.
YOU'RE BETTER OFF DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
Nah, its all about Day Twelve :

You hear her voice, from beyond her grave
"Where were you son, when I needed you
Is this your thanks for all the warmth I gave
Did you forget what I been through?"

YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, COLD AND MERCILIESS
"YOU WORTHLESS FOOL, YOU LET HER DIEEEE"
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 03:43:02 PM »

Ok so Day 12 has TWO of Akerfeldt's greatest growls (and a third nominee would be the chorus to Serenity Paints Death)

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »
WHITE FACE HAGRID GRIN, THIS SERENITY PAINTED DEATH

God damn that is such a brutal chorus.  :2metal:

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 03:45:39 PM »
It is one of the best them :2metal: :2metal:

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »
MOAR METAL SMILYS LOL

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 03:20:29 AM »

This is the growl I was referring to.   :hefdaddy   :metal