Author Topic: An Introduction-Devin Townsend Top 20  (Read 14686 times)

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
  • Cotton Candy Metropolis YUM
An Introduction-Devin Townsend Top 20
« on: November 15, 2009, 01:43:08 PM »
Hello all, long time lurker here, finally sticking my head from above the parapet. So to introduce myself I decided I'd be a drone follow a prevalent trend here on the forum of doing a top 20. This time its my favorite artist Devin Townsend. For those of you who don't know him die in a fire he is responsible for some of the best music music of the last decade (fanboi alert). His signature sound can be broken down into one word: HUGE. Guitars with loads of echo and distortion, a massive amount of keyboard ambiance and Devin's screaming/growling/operatic madness voice. Sit back and enjoy!

20. Kingdom (Physicist)
From Devin's admittedly weakest album, Kingdom real stands out. In this song, the strange production shines through. Devin comes through with some great vocal lines and a powerful chorus. Also some great, if slightly buried in the mix, keyboard parts here.

19. Coladh Gan Crioc/ Untitled 13 (Devlab)
A bit of a shot from left field here, with a song from Dev's first electronic album, Devlab. This song really shows Dev's many many influences and his ability to craft something unique out of those. A trance-esque atmosphere is backed up by a laid-back beat and supplemented by some of Dev's trademark wall of sound textures in the background. If you wonder whats happening behind the guitars on albums like Terria or Ocean Machine this is it.
BTW the title I have given it is my own, as I found have them all called untitled was annoying. It means "Eternal Sleep" in Irish.

18. Terminal (Ki)
Keeping with the laid back theme of the previous song, Terminal is easily the most soothing and minimalist songs Dev has done. Stuck in between the albums tow heavier songs, Terminal is a really some gorgeously stripped back guitar with some awe inspiringly simple ambiance, courtesy of Dave Young, who co-wrote this song with Dev. If Pink Floyd still made music, it might sound something a little like this. :chill

17. Truth (Infinity)
Whats this? A sub-four minute intro track? In a top 20? Well sorry, Truth is easily one the best intro tracks out there. This is a song driven by Dev's voice and guitar. As I said the introduction, the operative word here is HUGE. Goldy sweeps backed by a enormous choir of Dev adds to a spine tingling opening, every time. His best intro track, coming from the guy who wrote Velvet Kevorkian and Imperial.

16. Storm
One of Dev's most popular songs, for good reason. A relatively simple structure contains an emotive riff, with one of Dev top vocal performances, especially in the last half. It isn't as complex or "epic", to use an overused phrase, as some of his other greats, but the crystal clear production and the basics of the song are so good, you ignore it.

15. Forgotten (Physicist)
Second of the three Physicist songs on this list, Forgotten comes completely out of the blue on Physicist, which revolves around predictable structures, poor production and heaviness. Forgotten is the vapor trails of Planet Rain. Featuring Devy croaking out the surreal lyrics to Bad Devil ("I wanna be the man/who drinks your pee") and a really really incredible tone from an acoustic guitar, which I still can't figure out. Unlike nearly all the songs on the album, Forgotten actually evolves as a song throughout, leaving with a strangely poignant ending. A weird one alright.

There the first five, comments and thoughts welcome! Coma and worship at the feet of Dev  :corn

Wow. His 16th post, and already being sig'd.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
Re: An Introduction-Devin Townsend Top 20
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »
Oh bleh. I was going to do one of these at some point. Oh well! Storm is way too low. =\

And if #1 isn't either Earth Day or Deadhead I'll be a  :sadpanda:
caw caw

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
Oh bleh. I was going to do one of these at some point. Oh well! Storm is way too low. =\

And if #1 isn't either Earth Day or Deadhead I'll be a  :sadpanda:

I know, Storm is low on the list but it just doesn't click with me as much as some. As for No.1 we shall see....

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »

And if #1 isn't either Earth Day or Deadhead I'll be a  :sadpanda:

Deadhead should be very high indeed.

Earth Day...eh...for some reason, that album just doesn't click with me.  Heresy, I know.

Agreed that Storm is a bit low though.

Welcome to the forum though, glad to see you appreciate awesome music!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
I'm really interested in seeing this list. Somehow it's fascinating what are the favorites. I can't pick true favorites; I think most of his albums have a very high quality level and all the songs are likeable. Incredible artist.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »
#1 should be ZTO

:neverusethis:
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 06:41:59 PM »
After listening to Ocean Machine again, Seventh Wave should be at least in top 5, as should Life.  I'm interested to see what you think...

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
#1 should be ZTO

:neverusethis:

*drum*

ZILTOID

*scream*

ZILTOID ZILTOID
THE
OM
NI
SCI
ENT
caw caw

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »
I'm hoping to see Ants, Gaia, Earth Day, Traveler and Material on this list.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 10:44:42 PM »

God no...please no...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 11:16:27 PM »
"Truth" would be top 3 for me.

Nothing from Physicist would make my top 50.

"Storm" is a good song, but wouldn't touch my top 20.  Best songs from AE are "Random Analysis," "Deadhead" and "Suicide," IMO.  "Sunday Afternoon" is also way underrated.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »
Best songs from AE are "Random Analysis," "Deadhead" and "Suicide," IMO.  "Sunday Afternoon" is also way underrated.

No love for Depth Charge?

Also:

DAY OLD
MALE!
DAY OLD
FEMALE!
caw caw

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 01:55:54 AM »
I'll definately be watching this list, and welcome to the forum. :D

I would also put Storm higher, its the song that got me into Dev, but lets see where this list goes.

I'm not insane, I'm not insane, I'm just smarter than you.

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 04:37:34 AM »
And so, our journey continues, and we head to No. 10!

14. Ki (Ki)
As an album, Ki is a highly introspective and moody piece. While it may be Devy's "softest" work (electronic work discounted) it still bubbles with menace at points. However the title track is a joy filled piece. It builds from its Indian roots, to some great clean guitar licks into a massive climax of noise. Devy's handling of dynamics is second to none here, as the song sweeps up and down, towards the epic finish. Then, through the controlled chaos (systematic perhaps  :corn) Dev comes, triumphant with that massive operatic voice of his, and all is good in the world. Er, yes.

13. Gaia (Synchestra)
This song leads on from Mental Tan in a very awesome way. As the music fades, we hear a These Walls-esque repeated bit of distorted guitar, leading into a great riff and brilliant bassline as well. The song manages to keep this intro going into the main section, keeping the energy high and hits us with a great chorus ("Send a message to Gaia").  

12. N9 (ZTO)
Ah, ZTO. A misunderstood masterpiece. Some people think it as a weak entry into Dev's catalog, while other revere in it. A large part of it is being charmed by the whole Ziltoid concept. I was, and I still find this a strong album musically and conceptually, giving us the hilarious and incredible character of Ziltoid THE OMNISCIENT.  I find this song is highly underrated. While the first portion of the song could be considered weak, after 02:00 when Dev starts his arpeggios, the song becomes...well as the lyrics state "Its so beautiful...". Seriously guys the transition from Dev's soothing voice to Ziltoid telling us he's a big softie on the inside is spine-chilling, and the heavy that occurs afterwards is definitely one of Dev's most awesome heavy sections ("You have not seen the last of meeee, you have not seen the last of Ziltoid...).

11. Dynamics (Infinity)
Oh man. We all know Dev can sing with the best of them, but "ALL LIFE IS DYNAMICSSSS" is easily up as one of his best. This whole song is driven by Dev's soaring screams. The opening riff always gets me, being sombre yet typically Dev, massive and catchy. Then Dev opens his mouth, in his falsetto so effectively used on Infinity, and the song just takes off and never looks back. In the fashion of all the great Dev songs, it builds and builds into a huge choir of Dev, guitar and keyboards. The simple drums of Gene Hoglan shows his versatility to add exactly whats needed to song without distracting from whats important.

10. Judgement (Synchestra)
You know an artist is pretty incredible when your putting songs like Judgement at number 10. Judgement is another one of Dev's sub-six minute epics. Using his trademark guitar tone and massive orchestral keyboards with some just unbelievable vocals ("NOW SHAME ON YOU CAUSE NOBODIES FREE FROM SIN/ NOW BURN BURN BURN) makes this a spine-tingler. The songs outro is just as stellar, with more of Devy's arpeggio'd madness. Of course, being the song that leads into A Simple Lullaby can't hurt as well.... :hefdaddy

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:06:25 AM by klonere »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 05:13:08 AM »

God no...please no...

Why does everyone hate Traveler. The quick poppy songs are always some of Devin's best.

I wanna put my faith in you boyyyy!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 08:48:27 AM »
Good to see "Gaia" so high.  I love that song, too.  Kind of weird to see "Judgement" so high, as I think that is the song where Synchestra starts to tail off a bit.  Still a good song, just not that good.  IMO, of course. :)

Best songs from AE are "Random Analysis," "Deadhead" and "Suicide," IMO.  "Sunday Afternoon" is also way underrated.

I didn't say I didn't like "Depth Charge"...it simply isn't as good as the ones I mentioned.  :biggrin:

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
I'm currently revisiting 'Synchestra'. Some great songs in there, but what's up with the production? Way too much compression for my tastes.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
Best songs from AE are "Random Analysis," "Deadhead" and "Suicide," IMO.  "Sunday Afternoon" is also way underrated.

I'm actually listening to Depth Charge right now and it's SO AWESOME, totally forgot about how good it is.

Agreed though, Random Analysis, Deadhead and Suicide are fantastic, although I would group Depth Charge in with that list.

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 10:22:22 AM »
I'm currently revisiting 'Synchestra'. Some great songs in there, but what's up with the production? Way too much compression for my tastes.
Its basically AE with bass and compressed like a bitch. But just to say production on Addicted is amazing :metal

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »
Oh god, I don't want to this....but I must.

9. Night (Ocean Machine)
Definitely one of my favourite albums of all time, Ocean Machine is  :metal. I've tried to keep my sheer fanaticism for this album to a minimum in this list, as given the chance, I'd list nothing but OM songs. Night is just such a powerful track. So powah. So energy. Awesome riffs, brilliant drumwork, more vocal goodness all compressed into 5 minutes. The pseudo breakdown at 02:52 is a guaranteed headbang inducer every time. The chorus as in all good Devy songs, is catchy and massive ("I THINK I'M CRAZY NOW"). This song really sets the bar high for the rest of the album, but OM is so good that it never dissipates heading towards its grand apocalyptic finale. :hat

8.Suicide (Accelerated Evolution)
Now here's a song that combines some of my favorite bands. The intro is very reminiscent of something Opeth would write, especially the riff beginning at 1:17. Then the Meshuggah-esque chugging leads into a quieter section with Devy softly delivering the lyrics. The menace of the evil opening is sustained, and builds it back up again with a reprise of the Opethy riff and bang, Dev's desperate distorted wailing is follwoed up with the superlative section of Dev combining his massive operatic voice with his powerful screams. Then we get a Meshuggah style breakdown. The song comes down again, with some prominent basswork (sorely lacking on this album) and launches into an instrumental with one of Devin's best solos, sounding like the bastard child of Robert Fripp and Kirk Hammett. The whole thing is a journey, some massive dream, riding on distortion and emotion. A true powerhouse of a song.

7.By Your Command (Ziltoid the Omniscient)
The epic that opens up ZTO, By Your Command is the 50's sc-fi soundtrack intro that never happened (indeed a lot of ZTO is like this). It also shows Dev's supreme control of dynamics. The opening is brash and arrogant, signifying the brutish mood of Ziltoid as he DESTROYS THE PLANET EARTH MUHAHAHAHA :hefdaddy. And plays terrible guitar wank. But anyway, the song reaches a turning point at around 03:42, as the chunky riffage leaves us and the void is filled with the "Ziltoid sound", sweeps, keyboard-driven soundscapes and Dev's newfound soothing whispering. Then the song takes another turn 04:38 as Ziltoid begins his pronouncement on the Earthlings coffee (fetid, apparently) and orders the attack, as the pathetic humans prepare their feeble defense. From here the song builds and builds and builds and builds. Its like listening to a movie- the barking sergeant, the supreme drum programming, the backing choir of Dev (Hih-ho Hih-ho....), the goddamn most epic response ever ("Have you prepared the Planet Smasher? YEAASSSSSSSSSHHHHH MY LOOOOOOOORRRRDDDD") delivered in its rising falsetto glory. The whole set up is nothing short of incredible, I mean what other musical concept has managed to elicit actual emotion on the outcome of an alien attack on Earth? I mean it creates credible tension for god sakes, more than say 2012 or Transformers 2 ever did! On a MUSIC ALBUM. This is why I look forward to another Ziltoid themed outing from Dev :metal

6.Bastard (Ocean Machine)
This is a song which takes a ten foot pole of MASSIVE and proceeds to brutally assault your head for ten minutes, unrelenting. And then you thank it and ask for another go. Even the first couple of seconds grab you, sit you down, gives you a stern look and demand your attention. Bastard then goes and blows you a new fucking pair of ears. The opening riff is so perfectly constructed and presented. Hell, its fairly amazing when you look how much impact that single piano note has on the riff. It makes the goddamn thing. The all-enveloping wall of sound behind it all is so thick and intricate, it makes me think Dev has OCD. I mean there is an unreal amount of tracks on this song. How many people are going to hear sample #78? No, Dev knows its necessary to keep this Ocean of sound constantly churning....like a Machine  :corn. And then the pre-chorus/ chorus section is everything the intro promised, especially second time around ("I ONLY WISH I COULD PRAY TO GODDDDDDDDDD"). The lyrics focus on isolation and the individualism of city living ("To all the hopeful ones/Nobodies gives a fuck what you've got). The song is very noticeably split into two, as the linear notes state. Surely, you say, after the non-stop barrage of emotion and controlled noise in the first part, Dev can't keep the intensity up? Ah, but he can, and he does. The second section is markedly more subdued than part one, as it were, but not so jarringly different as to be a new song entirely. It slows down, takes it time in putting the lyrics out. When it finally finishes up, a single sustained string patch carries us to a new journey.....

5. Deadhead (Accelerated Evolution)
People! I have heard you cries! I have put Deadhead on the list, in its higher echelons! Not for one moment am I saying that I'm bowing to peer pressure, no, merely acknowledging your great taste in all matters Dev *twirls mustache*. Yes, Deadhead is a special song. It has Dev at his vocal best, trademark riffing and drums that keep this track driving, driving. The one thing about Deadhead is that it could quite possibly sum up Dev better that nearly every other song in his discography. Its so refined and perfect, its a track where you know the person who wrote knows a thing or two about songwriting. Earth Day perhaps does a better overall summation while remaining a better song overall, but its length could be a barrier to some. Deadhead however contains not a wasted note, a lyric out of place. It is a precision strike of pure music, the whites of powders, the clearest of waters and it sure is pretty to look at. Or sniff. Erm.  :hefdaddy

And so, we are nearly done. Its been quite fun writing, but choosing was an absolute bitch. I've decided to drop the third Physicist song, which was Planet Rain. Thought? I'd love to see you guy's Top 5.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:14:23 PM by klonere »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »
"By Your Command" seems like a bizarre inclusion, but I love the other choices.  :tup :tup

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »
"By Your Command" seems like a bizarre inclusion, but I love the other choices.  :tup :tup

Believe me Kev, I was going to put Planet Rain in there. I decided against it, perhaps wisely. Oh and WE NEED MOAR DEV WORSHIP HERE.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »
"Planet Rain" is definitely the best song from that record, but probably would come in at around 40 or 50 or so on my Devin list. :D

And with only five spots left, how are you gonna fit all of these awesome tracks in there that we haven't seen yet:

"Deep Peace"
"Tiny Tears"
"Earth Day"
"War"
"Bad Devil"
"The Death of Music"
"Pixillate"
"Noisy Pink Bubbles"
"Funeral"
"The Fluke"
"Canada"
"Triumph"
etc.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 04:15:43 PM »
"Planet Rain" is definitely the best song from that record, but probably would come in at around 40 or 50 or so on my Devin list. :D

And with only five spots left, how are you gonna fit all of these awesome tracks in there that we haven't seen yet:

"Deep Peace"
"Tiny Tears"
"Earth Day"
"War"
"Bad Devil"
"The Death of Music"
"Pixillate"
"Noisy Pink Bubbles"
"Funeral"
"The Fluke"
"Canada"
"Triumph"
etc.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Three of the songs there I have on the list. I think I will give honorable mentions as well, I left out so many great songs.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »
If Earth Day and The Death of Music aren't two of them, then I'm going to sick my magic panda on you.
caw caw

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 12:43:05 AM »
klonere, I wholeheartedly approve of this latest installment--the more Ocean Machine on this list, the better.  I'm gunning for Seventh Wave or Life for the #1 spot right now...

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 12:54:09 AM »
I'd love to see you guy's Top 5.

Ho hum. On the spot? I'll give a top 3.

1. Earth Day
2. The Death of Music
3. Deadhead
caw caw

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 02:40:19 AM »
5. Hyperdrive
4. The Death of Music
3. Earth Day
2. Suicide
1. Heaven Send

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »
Listened to "By Your Command" this morning for the first time in a while.  Yeah, I was reminded of why I never listen to it.  That song wouldn't make my Devin top 100.  And I don't even know if he has 100 songs. :lol

Anyway, if I HAD to pick only five songs, I would go with these (not necessarily in order):

"Truth"
"Deep Peace"
"Tiny Tears"
"Triumph"
"Noisy Pink Bubbles"

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »
Picking a Dev top 5 is VERY hard for me, but here goes (no order):

Deep Peace
Gaia
Storm
Earth Day
Suicide

But really there's so many more that I love just as much. And about 'By Your Command', the first 5 minutes are kinda meh, but from where Ziltoid samples the coffee (fetid!) to the end of the song, is one of the best parts of the album in my opinion. I can't help but start moving to that driving beat. :metal

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »
Bacck, sorry I couldn't finish the list last night, I was mega busy sorting out stuff for Uni.

Anyway here we go.

4. Deep Peace (Terria)
Beauty, serenity, zen, peace. This song is distilled beauty. The layers of samples and ambiance at the beginning begin a gentle journey, his some of Dev's simplest yet most touching lyrics. The song moves from acoustic to electric and as the vocals end for the first time, we enter Dev's guitar. This ladies and gentlemen is his best guitar-work bar none. It is very Glimour-esque I'll give that, but it is just so emotional and heartfelt, so spine-tingling, so refined yet natural, that you can't help to feel happy, special, chosen to hear such work. I have listened to this song many many times, and the middle instrumental section always always sounds like a new adventure very time. Like the natural feeling and theme of the album, the whole song grows from beginning to end. "Going, going....gone".

3. Earth Day (Terria)
DUN DUN-do-do-dah-dah-DUN-DUN-do-do-dah-dah......yes my eloquent description of EarthDay's opening bars should actually be good enough for us Devy fans. An instantly recognizable riff, followed by some even more memorable ahh-ahh backing vocal melodies makes it no surprise this is Devy's signature song. Full of snarky, ironic lyrics, Earth Day's vocal lines are also instantly catchy, further compounding this song's awesomeness. I mean it's nearly a ten minute song, yet every moment remains etched in the listeners memory. This song retains its heaviness all the way through, but is always evolving, like any good prog song. Alas all I can say is to listen to the song, and then buy every Dev album ever. It has that effect.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 04:03:16 PM »
Forgive me for saying IT BLOWS EITHER WAY
ITS A WAY ITS A WAY ITS A WAY ITS A WAY ITS A WAY ITS A WAY ITS A WAY
EARTH DAY EARTH DAY EARTH DAY EARTH DAY

But seriously. Death of Music as either 2 or 1...what does that leave?
caw caw

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »
Are we ever going to get the top 2 songs? lol

space cadet, pull out.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »
I was wondering this myself. OH THE SUSPENSE.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
I am wanting to check his music out, will use this thread, thanks!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.