Author Topic: The Supernatural Thread  (Read 18600 times)

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: The Supernatural Thread
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2014, 02:25:49 AM »
I never got around to finishing Season 7.. so I decided, I'm rewatching the whole show. I just finished Season 2, and man, it really holds up! I think 5 was the peak and it fell off afterwards.. My brother told me the most recent season was getting on the right track again, so that's good to hear.

Seasons 4 and 5 are the high water mark for the show, definitely.  But even though it drops off with season 6, it slowly builds itself back up, and it really feels like we're building to a tenth season that could be worthy of season 5's mantle.  Even the worst seasons are still worth watching, though, IMO.

I liked Season 9 a lot, and the season finale was a total shock; but although I'm a BIG Supernatural fan I do agree it's time to the end the show. A 10 season run is a lot, and quite frankly it's a good time to end it. Make season 10 a memorable big finish, tie all loose ends and let Jared and Jensen move on from the shadow of Supernatural into other acting jobs.

Totally agreed.  It's time to let it end with dignity before it chugs on too far past its life expectancy and embarrasses itself.  I'm worried that if there's an eleventh season, it'll be even worse than the sixth.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2014, 07:57:59 AM »
All I gotta say about that finale is... remember season 3, episode 10??

"You're can't escape me, Dean. You're gonna die. And this? This is what you become!"
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2014, 09:41:48 AM »
Crap, I didn't remember that one. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but that's a bloody amazing reference to Season 3.

Also, there can't enough Crowley loving. I find his "monologue" segments to be some of the most amazing Supernatural scenes ever, like the one at the end of Do You Believe in Miracles? or past season's Clip Show. I mean, the guy is a demon and is meant to have some dark roles and thoughts; but he's so tainted in shades of gray that it's impossible not to love him. I love that the writers decided to keep him for so many seasons as an antagonist/pseudo-ally of the Winchesters, he brings A LOT to the table.

When he said "But I never lied, I never lied Dean. That's important. It's fundamental. But, there is one story about Cain that I might have forgotten to tell you..." I was like OMG shit's gonna get bad. That pure sentence showcases his newfound "human" side as well as his insanely evil nature of letting things roll on, probably even knowing Dean was no match for Metatron and that he was gonna get ganked by him. I hope that, if writers decide to finally kill him, they get him out with a blast; something epic or memorable and not "pull a Bobby", you know, getting killed by a gunshot by some "Dick", having in mind that of all amazing ways to die in Supernatural world (magic, demonic something, angel killing blades, being sent to another dimension, etc.), it had to be a friggin' gun, idgits.

Even the worst seasons are still worth watching, though, IMO.
Also, totally agreed by all accounts. Season 6 and 7 are the low points in the series' long run, but nevertheless they are very entertaining to watch; there are some gems in those seasons like The French Mistake, The Man Who Would be King, Season 7's last episodes where Kevin is introduced, Death's Door, etc. Also, I was so relieved that the show went back in true form in Season 8... the Tablets storyline was absolutely stellar, and even the "off" episodes where very fun to watch; like that episode in which they travel to World of Warcraft land with Charlie, etc.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:55:54 AM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2014, 09:50:27 AM »
The creator did say that his goal was to end it at 10 seasons so I'm glad they let him reach his goal.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »
You mean the new showrunner, the show's creator goal was to end after season 5. :lol
He left after that one ended.

I've always thought the best thing this show ever did was bringing Misha Collins to play Castiel. The second best thing the show ever did was bring Mark Sheppard to play Crowley, he's amazing! I loved him as Romo Lampkin in BSG and even more now!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2014, 06:22:16 PM »
Mark Sheppard got regular cast status for season 10. Amazing news.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »
Mark Sheppard got regular cast status for season 10. Amazing news.

Yeah, because I've been starting to worry lately that they were going to kill him off.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
They did that once already. Didn't work.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
New favorite quote from anything ever: "You're good, but I'm Crowley."

Also, this needs to be seen. Again. For science. Eye of the Tiger
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:35 AM »
They did that once already. Didn't work.

...with like every character, now that I think about it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2014, 03:06:54 AM »
They haven't brought back the crazy hunter who got turned into a vampire and then beheaded. Of course, beheadings are harder to come back from.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »
They haven't brought back the crazy hunter who got turned into a vampire and then beheaded. Of course, beheadings are harder to come back from.

I bet if they'd been able to get the actor, they would have at least included his character in some kind of flashback form, if not a full-on resurrection scenario.  They like killing people and then bringing them back.

But I guess they also like killing people and then not bringing them back.

I guess they just like the killing part, really.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »
Misha Collins is guest starring on Whose Line June 16th.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »
He better be dressed as Castiel.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
So I'm at that point... Bloodlines. Can I skip it? I've heard awful things, but I've also heard the end sets up the next three episodes in a big way.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
I can't recall it setting up anything for the main show. The only cool thing about that episode was the modified Freddy glove.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
So I'm at that point... Bloodlines. Can I skip it? I've heard awful things, but I've also heard the end sets up the next three episodes in a big way.

I'm of the opinion that if you're truly dedicated to a show, you don't skip ANYTHING.

That being said, Bloodlines wasn't that great and the only thing that relates at all to the season's arc (that I can recall) is one quick line in one of the final scenes.  You won't miss anything important.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if you're truly dedicated to a show, you don't skip ANYTHING.
So am I, but as a backdoor pilot for a spinoff, I don't see that as part of the show. Even though it is. But whatever.

Anyway, I finished Season 9, and I'm curious for sure. It seems lately that every new season has a way of trivializing the awesomeness of the previous season's finale. Like, with all the angels falling at the end of Season 8, I thought we were going to at least get a glimpse of a broader scope or the global impact... ie, people realizing supernatural shit really does happen. That being said, I think Season 9's story arc was as good as 5's, and 10 has the potential to be better, especially if Crowley is the big baddie. And one can only hope, because I've had enough of Metatron. I think he was a good villian, but he's not a finale villain. I pretty much need Crowly to be the final boss. If and when it happens, they damn well better play "Mr. Crowley" during his death scene.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »
*bump*

Someone posted a thread on reddit asking if you had to cast a Supernatural movie using big names only, who would you place in what role? This was mine.

John Winchester - Harrison Ford
Dean - Chris Evans
Sam - Liam Hemsworth
Castiel - Karl Urban
Crowley - Simon Pegg
Lucifer - Jack Nicholson
Death - Jeremy Irons
Gabriel - Bradley Cooper

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
I can't imagine anyone else playing the roles.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2014, 01:40:05 AM »
I'd still cast Misha Collins and Mark Sheppard as Castiel and Crowley.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2014, 01:37:36 AM »
So the premier was pretty "meh," especially since we were given such an "OH SHIT" moment at the end of season 9. I get that they need to show what Dean and Crowley have been up to and they need to lay groundwork. So, that much I understand.

Also, I want the old Cas back. I miss the ass-kicking comic relief Castiel. Not this whiny, mopey, always on the verge of death Cas. Also, I don't give a shit about the angels/heaven subplot. It's so tired and I have no reason to care about it.

Lastly... This is the ultimate "pit Sam vs. Dean" scenario. Well, maybe not as much as when Sam was drinking demon blood, but I hope that after this the writers quit trying to come up with ways to pit the brothers against each other. Another thing that's just "tired."

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2014, 06:09:17 AM »
I liked the premiere.  Not the best season opener, but decent.

The angel subplot definitely couldn't have carried it if they'd made an episode Cas-centric.  It wasn't great, but I feel like it could lead to something interesting down the road.  Although if Cas is on the verge of death the whole season, that'll get old.

I thought the Sam/Dean thing was actually pretty good.  It was a pretty bold, un-Dean-like move not to rush to Sam's rescue.  It made it seem like the demon thing was actually serious shit, after all the drunken karaoke stuff.  I feel like this time, the Sam-versus-Dean thing is going to be more direct, more violent, and a lot more heartbreaking than usual.  I think it's not so much "tired" as a refreshing take on something that was tired before.

But we'll be seeing lots of Crowley, and I'm really curious as to his plans with Dean, so that can't be a bad thing, right?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »
I thought the premiere was pretty meh until the very last few minutes. It was truly heartbreaking to see Dean not giving a rat's ass for Sam, for the first time in 10 years.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2014, 03:38:14 AM »
Second episode was definitely stronger than the premier, I think. Definitely looking forward to their showdown in the third.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »
Second episode was definitely stronger than the premier, I think. Definitely looking forward to their showdown in the third.
I agree. The second episode was far more intense and showcased a darker side of Dean. Good stuff!
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
So... you guys watched the new episode yet?

SPOILERS!

I think it's kinda lame they already got rid of demon Dean... but it was time for some old fashioned Supernatural to come back.  You know, no strained brother relationship (as in most of season 9). Either way, I think Dean's gonna break at some point due to the Mark of Cain and return to his demon ways or something...I dunno, but now let's see where the writers take the story.

Oh, and I loved the episode in general. There were some very scary Dean moments, and Crowley was awesome as fuck (as always).
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »

SPOILERS!

Jensen was awesome as Demon Dean.  I think it was a good call to get rid of Demon Dean early on so that they could still fall back on the show's usual formula (instead of too much Soulless Sam like they did a few seasons back) but it's too bad because Demon Dean was awesome.  But I think he'll be back too.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2014, 01:10:18 AM »

Jensen was awesome as Demon Dean.  I think it was a good call to get rid of Demon Dean early on so that they could still fall back on the show's usual formula (instead of too much Soulless Sam like they did a few seasons back) but it's too bad because Demon Dean was awesome.  But I think he'll be back too.
thisthisthisthisthis

Also, it was cool to see the episode end in the city I live in. I really enjoyed the last episode, and I'm looking forward to some moar good stuff. However, I think they should resolve the Mark of Cain issue within three or four episodes, or else it'll feel like too much of last season being dragged into this one. IMO.

Edit: I'm wondering if there's some residual demon left in Dean aside from the mark. It seemed like there wasn't much closure with the cure.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2014, 12:12:26 PM »
I predict that Dean's going to have an emotional collapse (like he usually does) by the end of the season and will be consumed by the mark's demonic power, or something. Then, Sam and Castiel are going to make something that gets rid of the mark for good.

I still have my fingers crossed for another badass Cain appearance.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
What do you guys think of the upcoming 200th episode musical special? I, for one, am super excited about it. It's been about time we had a funny episode a'la The French Mistake or Changing Channels.  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
Musical? Ah fuck. I hate musicals. The Buffy musical was pretty shitty, yet somehow got nominated or won a Grammy or something. I can't remember. Supernatural can be plenty cheesy, but a musical is just Limburger.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
Really? I loved the Buffy musical.  :millahhhh

Supernatural knows how to make fun of its universe, so I expect greatness. They wouldn't do an episode like this if they didn't know beforehand it's going to be great, me thinks.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »
I still have my fingers crossed for another badass Cain appearance.

Cain was awesome.  I'm hoping we'll see him as a guest star in one or two episodes this season. 

However, I think they should resolve the Mark of Cain issue within three or four episodes, or else it'll feel like too much of last season being dragged into this one. IMO.

Edit: I'm wondering if there's some residual demon left in Dean aside from the mark. It seemed like there wasn't much closure with the cure.

If the mark of Cain arc lasts for a while, it won't bother me, because with Gadreel dead and Metatron locked up, it won't feel like a simple extension of last season.  I'm thinking the mark is going to fall into the background for a while until something cataclysmic happens mid-season which brings it front and center again...some kind of resurfacing of the demonic thing or something, I don't know.

What do you guys think of the upcoming 200th episode musical special? I, for one, am super excited about it. It's been about time we had a funny episode a'la The French Mistake or Changing Channels.  :D

I don't honestly know how well the cast can sing, but if they're not bad, this could be awesome.  The musical episode seems like it'll be another nod to the fandom, which has worked extremely well in the past.  I'm pretty pumped for it. 

Musical? Ah fuck. I hate musicals. The Buffy musical was pretty shitty, yet somehow got nominated or won a Grammy or something. I can't remember. Supernatural can be plenty cheesy, but a musical is just Limburger.

The Psych musical was actually pretty good.  And the Scrubs musical episode was beyond fantastic.  But, again, you'll need to have a cast with reasonable musical talent.