Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 101521 times)

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
The Savatage Thread
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
Been listening to a lot of Savatage lately, and decided they deserve their own thread, since they don't already have one.  Anyone else into them?  For my money, "Believe" has got to be one of the best album closers of all time.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »
Funny you should start this now.  I myself have been listening to Savatage a lot lately too.  And there's currently a facebook "event" going on called "Savatage Season", because apparently November through January is more or less considered "Savatage listening time".  I guess there's something about this time of year that makes people want to listen to them.

Anyway, one of my favorite bands.  Imo, you can never have too much of them.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I have to say though, I definitely prefer the Jon Oliva-led albums.  Zachary Stevens is a vastly inferior vocalist IMO.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »
The only Savatage album I've heard is Hall of the Mountain King. It's pretty good. I just haven't got around to listening to any of their other stuff.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »
The only Savatage album I've heard is Hall of the Mountain King. It's pretty good. I just haven't got around to listening to any of their other stuff.

You literally MUST hear Gutter Ballet and Streets ASAP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »

Gutter Ballet is alright and Street is pretty good, but if you want a great album skip right to Edge of Thorns.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 07:36:06 PM »
Streets and Gutter Ballet are two of my favorite albums of all time. Great, great band.

Gutter Ballet is alright and Street is pretty good, but if you want a great album skip right to Edge of Thorns.

*sigh* Damn it, Nick

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »

I think I would go with Streets and Dead Winter Dead as my favorite Savatage albums.  Also, if you like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Dead Winter Dead is the album that started that whole project.

Offline JamesCLN87

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 06:17:19 AM »
Have loved Savatage for years, and I concur that wintertime  seems to be the best time to listen to them! I love pretty much everything from Hall of the Mountain King on, the early albums are good but not as special as the later ones in my opinion. I love both vocalists, I prefer Zakk's voice as a whole but Jon gets so much emotion into his, you can really tell he was giving it his all. They've also had a string of amazing guitarists, Criss being probably my favourite but the ones that followed on are absolutle beasts in their own right.

I probably would say Edge of Thorns is my favourite album, the combination of Zakks vocals and Criss' guitar playing just edges (haha) it above the rest, that being said I really love every album and listen to them a lot. TSO are great fun, I listen to them a lot around Xmas and they are immense live also!

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »
Zakk is an alright singer, but he seems to flub notes alot during the medium-heavy parts.  He sounds great during really soft and really heavy songs, but the transition between the two types of singing is not so great, in my opinion.  I think Jon has a much better range of singing styles.  I agree that Edge of Thorns is an awesome album, though.

As for my personal favorite albums, I would probably go with Gutter Ballet, with Streets following closely behind.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »
Love Savatage. Favorites are Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet, Edge of Thorns and The Wake of Magellan.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »
I have to say though, I definitely prefer the Jon Oliva-led albums.  Zachary Stevens is a vastly inferior vocalist IMO.

My feelings as well, I much more perfer them when they were more a power metal band, than the experimental/concept stuff they did later
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:50:58 AM »
Yeah, my band just got through playing with circle II circle, Zac Stevens' band.
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..

Offline turtle1173

• In space no one can hear you rock!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 08:39:46 PM »
I always make sure I have some Savatage albums in my vehicle.  I find myself definitely being more partial to Zach Stevens vocals.  Everyone has their own taste though.  Like other's have said, "Edge of Thorns" is probably my favorite Savatage album.  I really like "Dead Winter Dead" and "Handful of Rain" too.  I'm a big Testament fan, so I naturally like "Handful of Rain" with Alex Skolnick playing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 06:06:51 AM »

Ouch..literally one of the worst bands I've ever seen live. The singer was horrific...mind you this was in 1987..

OK, let the appreciation continue..sorry.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 05:40:24 AM »

Ouch..literally one of the worst bands I've ever seen live. The singer was horrific...mind you this was in 1987..

OK, let the appreciation continue..sorry.

Of course, I can't speak for their live shows, but as far as the studio albums go, Mountain King through Streets are my favorites.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 09:05:46 AM »
Yeah, my band just got through playing with circle II circle, Zac Stevens' band.

Where at? My old band opened for them and JOP here in Allentown.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
So did my fellow Savatage fans hear the news about the Greatest Hits compilation, and the live DVD being put out?

I don't need the GH package except for the bonus tracks, but the DVD   :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 05:43:49 PM »
"Believe" has got to be one of the best album closers of all time.

:hefdaddy

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »
Can't say anything more than that I love them. I got to know them when a friend let me hear Gutter Ballet. Then I started buying the second half of their discography, every one as good as the other.

Anyway, yesterday I bought HOTMK and Dungeons. Just finished listening to King, which I loved, Dungeons will be up later today!

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 09:02:15 AM »
:metal forgot I started this thread.

Can't say anything more than that I love them. I got to know them when a friend let me hear Gutter Ballet. Then I started buying the second half of their discography, every one as good as the other.

Anyway, yesterday I bought HOTMK and Dungeons. Just finished listening to King, which I loved, Dungeons will be up later today!

For me, HOTMK through Streets are their best albums, but the later Zak Stevens albums are great too, especially Dead Winter Dead and Edge of Thorns.

edit: I'm thinking of checking out Jon Oliva's Pain... are they worthwhile?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:26:19 AM by SeaWolf »

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
Just finished listening to King, which I loved, Dungeons will be up later today!
The dungeons are calling.... calling for meeeeeeee

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 04:50:30 AM »
Possibly the most underrated band ever!!  Every album is a masterpiece, yet so different.  Gutter Ballet and Streets are the definitions of perfection.  Classic band, RIP Criss, one of the best most underrated guitarists ever.  It really pisses me off when I see magazines going on about all the fallen guitar hero's and yet Criss Oliva is never in sight, it's criminal!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 04:52:45 AM »
So did my fellow Savatage fans hear the news about the Greatest Hits compilation, and the live DVD being put out?

I don't need the GH package except for the bonus tracks, but the DVD   :metal

Bring on March for this baby.  Perhaps not the best tracklist from what I remember, but IMO a Savatage greatest hits should have about 8 cds!! LOL.  It's going to be worth it for Live in Japan 94 no doubt.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 09:39:21 AM »
I love Savatage too.  And wow...it's just occurred to me that I can't even remember the last time I really listened to them.  Might have even been last Christmas when I spun Dead Winter Dead a few times.  I didn't even listen to it this Christmas (although I remember meaning to).

And as far as which era I prefer, I'd honestly have to say "both."  I think Jon Oliva is a better metal singer, and those classic Savatage albums are amazing, but I really love Zak Steven's voice too.  It doesn't matter...but I think I might be listening to them at some point today.  Thanks for the reminder.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
At the TSO concert I saw a few weeks back (East Coast), Chris mentioned they were going to be doing a non-holiday tour in the spring/summer.  Given the Night Castle has a lot of re-worked Savatage (Believe is spine tingling ... vocalist is Tim Hockenberry), I'm sure there will be a lot of that album played on the tour.  About as close to Savatage as one can get.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
At the TSO concert I saw a few weeks back (East Coast), Chris mentioned they were going to be doing a non-holiday tour in the spring/summer.  Given the Night Castle has a lot of re-worked Savatage (Believe is spine tingling ... vocalist is Tim Hockenberry), I'm sure there will be a lot of that album played on the tour.  About as close to Savatage as one can get.

Wow...really?  I didn't go see them this year, and I don't think I even knew there was a new album out.

NP:  Edge of Thorns...I completely forgot about a lot of these songs.  It's reminding me a lot of my old boyfriend and the people I hung out with when I was all about these guys.  Some great memories and some great tunes.  

Edit:  I forgot what a great song 'Conversation Piece' is.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:55:08 PM by Neon »
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »
Finally got the best of in the mail.  The DVD is totally worth the price of it.  Amazing 94 concert with the great Skolnick.  Quality is average considering it came straight from the VHS, but it's a great performance.  The remastered tracks sound excellent too.

NP: If I Go Away.  Perfect.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
Streets is such an amazing album. This band is so unfairly underrated. The fact that this thread died before it even got to Page 2 supports this theory. More people should know about and listen to this band - why they don't rank as one of the progressive metal "greats" alongside DT, Symphony X, etc. is baffling. So...I'm necro'ing this thread in the vain attempt that maybe more people will be made aware of their existence.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
Streets is such an amazing album. This band is so unfairly underrated. The fact that this thread died before it even got to Page 2 supports this theory. More people should know about and listen to this band - why they don't rank as one of the progressive metal "greats" alongside DT, Symphony X, etc. is baffling. So...I'm necro'ing this thread in the vain attempt that maybe more people will be made aware of their existence.

Good shit Gadough.

I have so many fond memories of discovering Savatage's discography when I was a teenager, some of the best times I had.  I must admit I haven't listened to them since I got the best of.  I might give a couple of albums a spin tonight.

One of my favs which I'd like to mention is Poets and Madman, such an amazing album.  Every song is killer and the atmosphere of it is incredible.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
Wow a Savatage thread. I love this band. Saw them on the Streets tour when they played that killer album from start to finish. That was one of the most powerful musical moments of my life.

EDIT: Listening to Streets now and "Tonight He Grins Again"  :metal

EDIT: Can You Hear Me Noooowww?  :metal
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:45:05 PM by dongringo »
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »
Saw them on the Streets tour when they played that killer album from start to finish.

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »
....................................... BUT I DON'T THINK ABOUT YOU ANYMORE

Offline dongringo

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 08:50:33 PM »
The guitar solo in Ghost in the Ruins is one of the greatest guitar solos ever.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
....................................... BUT I DON'T THINK ABOUT YOU ANYMORE

*enter amazing D minor riff*  :metal