Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 101540 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
That new T.S.O track Who I Am was offered to me to download for free when I got my tickets for the show and I didn't get. Now I can't access that feature again.

Ticketmaster sent me an email with a link to download the song.  The link took me to the TSO store and I had to make an account there in order to download the file.  For some reason, firefox was being a real biotch about opening the download page, so I had to open it in internet explorer, but when I finally got it to open, it just started to automatically download.

Yeah Chrome gave the same problem. But I already deleted that ticketmaster e-mail and now I can't get the song :(

Has anyone heard the track, is it any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvmNx4Ihd8
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
Loved the show, I forgot to post here the same day but I really had fun.
On the line in, 2 guys behind me talking and my ear caught this "And Al Pitrelli the guitarist used to play for Megadeth and his brother is Dream Theater guitarist". To which I had to turn around with as big a smile as I could and they could see the Majesty symbol on my cap and all so the guy said "Right?" I just said "The guy from Dream Theater is called Petrucci, fairly easier to remember than Pitrelli imo, let alone that Petrucci is more famous", he stared at me for a couple of astonished seconds then he said to his friend "Dream Theater fans always correct me on shit" :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2012, 03:32:56 AM »
Nothing more annoying than people who think they know what they are talking about, but seriously don't have a friggin' clue.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
Loved the show, I forgot to post here the same day but I really had fun.
On the line in, 2 guys behind me talking and my ear caught this "And Al Pitrelli the guitarist used to play for Megadeth and his brother is Dream Theater guitarist". To which I had to turn around with as big a smile as I could and they could see the Majesty symbol on my cap and all so the guy said "Right?" I just said "The guy from Dream Theater is called Petrucci, fairly easier to remember than Pitrelli imo, let alone that Petrucci is more famous", he stared at me for a couple of astonished seconds then he said to his friend "Dream Theater fans always correct me on shit" :lol

Funny thing is, Pitrelli actually does have a DT connection; he and Derek played together in Alice Cooper's band back in the late 80's/early 90's.  In fact, Dream Theater even gets a special thanks in the liner notes of TWOM.

Still, JP and Pitrelli as brothers..........   :lol

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »
Woo!!  A Savatage thread!! 

Love the band.  Streets and Edge of Thorns have a poignant mark on my high school days.  It would be sweet if they actually did an album as Savatage again rather than just the TSO work... not that I don't mind TSO.  I actually get a laugh out of sitting in the crowd at a TSO show and watching people get up and leave because they thought it was a totally family geared Christian type Christmas ensemble as opposed to an actual rock band (er.. a rather large rock band).
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »
New Zak Stevens interview! - https://myglobalmind.com/2012/01/24/exclusive-interview-with-zak-stevens-savatage-circle-ii-circle-machines-of-grace/

Pretty good read, I highly recommend it to any Savatage or ZS fans.

And yes, he does talk about the possibility of a Sava reunion:

Myglobalmind: Zak I’m going to be honest with you and I get the same feedback as I’m sure you do as well many times over from Savatage fans, we need to have the band back together again, a reunion is a MUST. I know I’m not in the minority here. I know Jon has his own band and Trans Siberian Orchestra has been established to be huge and very profitable with Sava former players leading that entity, and we know that many of the members from Sava era are involved with many side projects like your own band Circle II Circle for instance, Caffery’s solo stuff etc, but I personally feel that is time to bring back Savatage!!! What are the chances? I know you have said in the past that you’re not opposed to that idea? What’s holding things back?

ZS: As far the question goes, I obviously don’t have too much control in the overall decisions on that stuff obviously. Of course those decisions will ultimately fall to Jon Oliva and Paul O’Neill and it’s hard to know exactly how they feel about the subject as time rolls on here unless you ask them personally I suppose. But yes I’m definitely not opposed to the idea and as a matter of fact I’ve always stated that i would love to take part in such a reunion if it ever came to be, most definitely. And the organization knows this so my position is no surprise to anyone by now of course. Like a lot of bands that have had reunions, it’s the fans that ultimately can make things happen more than they probably know. So if the consensus continues with the vigor in which you have stated, then I think it may naturally occur at some point. I would say to the fans if you want it then let your voices be heard to Jon and Paul and let them hear your concerns. And maybe this will all work out someday. But it would be a lot of fun to do that for sure. We’ll see what happens I guess but I believe fate has a way of working things out, I really do.

Zak has said he is up for it, as has Caffery and Middleton.  C'mon, Jon, you know the only way you'll ever stop hearing people bitch about a Savatage reunion is to give the fans what they want!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2012, 06:55:06 AM »
That would rule!!!

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »
So I was having a conversation about Savatage over at anybodylistening.net (Samsara's Queensryche forum), and I was discussing how I would "fix" Fight For The Rock:

The album is hardly pure garbage, but it is very haphazard an stylistically inconsistent, suffering from too much label interference, and it lacks a lot of strong, original material.  Out of the ten songs on the album, two of them are covers and three of them (Out On The Streets, Crying For Your Love, and Lady In Disguise) are remakes of older Savatage songs, the original versions of which were better in the first place.  There are a few gems on there; Edge of Midnight is a personal favourite of mine and Hyde is great.  The title track, She's Only Rock And Roll, and Red Light Paradise are all ok, solid 80's rock but nothing spectacular. 

What shocks me is that the band had two other great songs (The Message, and No More Saturday Nights) left over from Power of the Night that were not used on the album.  Imagine if FFTR looked like this:

1) Fight For The Rock
2) The Message
3) Fighting For Your Love (Original version of Crying For Your Love)
4) Edge of Midnight
5) Hyde
6) Lady In Disguise (original version)
7) She's Only Rock and Roll
8 ) No More Saturday Nights
9) Red Light Paradise

Take that track-listing, and maybe give a more hard metal edge to FFTR, SORAR and RLP, and you would have a solid 80's metal record worthy of Savatage.  Ahhhh, what could have been..........

I think that would make a great record.  I've been listening to it that way recently, and it actually works very well.  I'm curious to see what other people may think.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »
I really like FFTR, it was just a fairly big change in sound from Power of the Night.  This might have turned off some people who were expecting pure metal.  Couple of songs on there that are pretty sub par though.  But then again, Savatage were never a band that stayed with one sound.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
I really like FFTR, it was just a fairly big change in sound from Power of the Night.  This might have turned off some people who were expecting pure metal.  Couple of songs on there that are pretty sub par though.  But then again, Savatage were never a band that stayed with one sound.

I definitely don't hate the record, it's nowhere near as bad as some say it is, but the fact that it has two cover tracks and a reused song from their first album always irritated me.  I don't like it when bands include cover tune or re-record old songs and then include them on a proper album.  That's why I have gotten in the habit of skipping Out On The Streets and replacing the two covers with The Message and No More Saturday Nights, as well as using the original versions of Fighting For Your Love and Lady In Disguise.

The rest of the album is fine as is, though, and Edge Of Midnight is probably my favourite pre-HOTMK Sava-track.   :metal

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
I saw TSO live last Saturday.  Absolutely amazing show.  They played Beethoven's Last Night in it's entirety, then followed up with an encore of a couple songs from Night Castle, a couple songs from their upcoming rock opera Gutter Ballet, and Savatage's Chance.  Chris, Al, Johnny and Jeff were all spot on and really brought their best to the stage that night, and all the singers were phenomenal.  And, of course, the light show was mind-blowing.  Truly, just a kick-ass experience all around.   :metal:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »
Was JSS singing this time?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »
Sorry disregard, saw that you listed Jeff

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
Jeff Scott Soto singing in TSO, I had no idea, that would be magic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »
I could only imagine how awesome all of the TSO studio discs would be if all the vocals were shared between Zak and JSS

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
Actually, the Jeff I was referring to was Jeff Plate.

Unfortunately, JSS was not there this year.  The part of Mephistopheles was played by Ronny Munroe.  He did a damn good job sounding like how Jon sounds on the album.

And yes, I would love to hear Zak singing leads more often in TSO.  I've always felt that his voice was perfect for it, and since the whole TSO sound evolved from Zak-era Savatage anyways, it just seemed natural for him to be the man fronting TSO.  I know in recent interviews he has mentioned that he would like to get more involved in TSO, so I have my hopes that we could see him on stage with them very soon.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
Zak's always been the voice I like to hear on TSO, I guess listening to Dead Winter Dead about a billion times is the reason behind that.  I would love to hear JSS on cd with TSO though.  He hasn't been on any studio cd's has he?   I haven't followed them for a few years.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
The only TSO album he is on is Night Castle.  He sings leads on Night Castle, Another Way You Can Die, Dreams We Conceive, Time Floats On, and The Safest Way Into Tomorrow (Reprise).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
Sweet, I'll have to get that one.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

You should, it's the most rockin' of the TSO albums, and has a few tracks that are remakes of Sava-songs, so it's a bit of a treat for Savatage fans.  The second disc does drag a bit in the middle, but over all, it is a great album, and despite being two hours long, I find it a bit more digestible then the Christmas albums.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »
DM, have you heard when the new Circle II Circle disc comes out? I thought I heard this summer but just wondering if you heard different

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »

You should, it's the most rockin' of the TSO albums, and has a few tracks that are remakes of Sava-songs, so it's a bit of a treat for Savatage fans.  The second disc does drag a bit in the middle, but over all, it is a great album, and despite being two hours long, I find it a bit more digestible then the Christmas albums.

Wow, sounds excellent, will definitely get it.

DM, have you heard when the new Circle II Circle disc comes out? I thought I heard this summer but just wondering if you heard different

Hopefully soon, IMO, the last one was incredible.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2012, 09:24:41 PM »

Well, the last thing I heard about the new album was from about a month ago, right after they finished their Brazil tour, they said they were still working on it.  Considering that they have a bunch of dates planned in Europe over the summer, I'm guessing that at this point a fall or winter release would be more likely.  I have high hopes for that record, as I really like CIIC.  The first two records were almost like a new Savatage, especially considering that they had both Jon and Chris on them, and the three that Zak made almost on his own were all excellent as well. 

That interview I posted with Zak in this thread a little while back had a few comments about the new album:

Of course “Seasons Will Fall” will be as different as all the other CIIC albums have been individually. I think there are some nice surprises on this one. This will be our sixth album and I think the band is just now coming into its own as everyone will see in the next five years, especially. We’re really excited about the new album and it may just be the first released on my own label for a change but we haven’t quite decided on that fully as of yet. But we will let you know as soon as we find out!

This is really an epic record in all proportions musically. There are the 8-minute epic songs, some really good hard metal tunes, and also some nice traditional hard rock/metal that CIIC is known for. There will be really strong melodies across the board vocally and I’ll be bringing back some of that counter-point vocal stuff for all of you who like that stuff. Really it’s a deep, dark, hard rocking album but it still keep a nice melodic edge and it has some really strong radio-ready stuff on there too. I really think it’s going to be our strongest CIIC album we’ve ever released.

Sounds like good shit to me!  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »
Amazing, I can't wait.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
Earlier I made another one of my music countdowns on Youtube, and this time I listed my favorite 25 songs from Savatage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrIrUVHZnZg
I know I left off a few major classics but there was just so much excellent material to choose from!  :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
Never heard of this band until I saw them on Dr.DTVT's thread. I'm listening to, and enjoying, Streets: A Rock Opera right now.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
Never heard of this band until I saw them on Dr.DTVT's thread. I'm listening to, and enjoying, Streets: A Rock Opera right now.

Awesome on two fronts:  My list is working, and we have a new 'tage fan.  Plenty more 'tage to discover padawan.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »

Easily one of the best concept albums of all time in my book.  Hell, make that one of the best albums of all time, period!  (It's in my top 4).

You should check out more of their albums.  They never made the same record twice, and every album from 1987's Hall Of The Mountain King onward is a masterpiece unto itself!   :metal

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »
Went for a walk today and was jumping around my Savatage catalogue on my MP3 player.  I made up a pretty awesome setlist that would have made a great concert.

Overture (Dead Winter Dead)
Taunting Cobras
Edge Of Thorns
Stay With Me A While
There In The Silence
Morning Sun
Jesus Saves
Tonight He Grins Again
All That I Bleed
Mozart And Madness
The Wake Of Magellan
Chance
Gutter Ballet
Believe
Hall Of The Mountain King

It's a bit too short to be a full headlining set, but seriously, what a kick as setlist that would be!   :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2012, 04:53:24 AM »
I love the 1-2 hit from Poets and Madman, I love that album.  Tonight He Grins Again is top 10 Savatage too, good set there.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »
I'm not sure how I missed this, but this article was apparently posted back in February.  I'm a little surprised that it hasn't been reported anywhere else:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/savatage_plan_reunion_tour.html

In short, some Russian booking agency is trying to get Savatage to play a couple of shows in Russia (Moscow and St. Petersburg).  Apparently, Savatage wants 10,000 votes on a petition before they agree to do it.  If this does happen, I may have to beg and plead with my girlfriend's family (who is Russian) if there is some cheap way to get there.  I would give anything to see this band paying a full show as Savatage again, even if it meant traveling halfway around the world.

Additionally, this has sparked a thought in my mind:  if enough people were to sign a petition, would they consider doing this in the states?  Seriously, I see no reason why this band cannot play a few shows in select cities (New York, Chicago, LA, and perhaps 3 or 4 others), and perhaps do the same for  Europe, South America and the Asian Rim.  I'm talking a world tour that would last less then two months.  If it is even a remote possibility, it will be the fans that have to make it happen  Considering the fact that more fans continue to discover Savatage through TSO, and the capability of the internet to exponentially increase the awareness of an otherwise unknown band, I would not be surprised if Savatage has more fans now, during their absence, then they did back at their height in the early 90's.

I've been listening to a lot of late-era Savatage recently, and I'm starting to realize that there really is no true substitute for Savatage.  For the past few years, I have tried to cope by giving an interest in the various projects of the members of Savatage, but while TSO, JOP, CIIC, & the CC Band all have elements of Savatage, no single one of them really captures every aspect of what that band once was.  We really need this band back, even if it is something that only happens once every few years.  It is a damn shame this band choose to quit while they were in the middle of a renaissance, and it is a tragedy that they have not continued to develop their legacy.  All their side projects are fine, but the real Savatage needs to make a resurgence now.  The time is right, and we should find some way to get our opinions to Paul and Jon and make this happen!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:47:10 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2012, 12:06:31 AM »
Nobody deserves to see Savatage live more than the Dark Master!!

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
Nobody deserves to see Savatage live more than the Dark Master!!

Damn straight!

Found another great interview with Zak from January:  https://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/01/15/legendary-rock-interview-with-vocalist-zak-stevens-circle-ii-circle-savatage-tso/

He said a few interesting things about TSO and it's effect on Savatage:

LRI:  I have to ask.  With the entire catalog being remastered and the DVD/hits package out what would you say to putting SAVATAGE back together for another album or at least some special show dates?

ZS:  Yeah, definitely John.  People have been obviously asking me that question for a long time and the guys in the band know my stance on that.  I am always in favor of SAVATAGE doing any type of project.  I would love to do it again just for all the memories and to be able to look across the stage and see the guys again.  It would be unbelievable after all these years and of course the fans would just love it.  I don’t know how much of a chance there is of that happening because I don’t know all of that inside business and the talk of how that’s going as much as Paul or Jon do.

LRI:  Chris Caffery has told me that despite the success of TSO he misses SAVATAGE

ZS:  I know, as do I.  We talked about it about a short while ago on the phone and it’s funny (laughs)…….It seems to me that every time we play a show as TSO it makes it that SAVATAGE is a little bit further and further from going away completely so it’s actually working the opposite as some people might believe (laughs).  The funny thing is I would LOVE to do it, they can depend on me for that, hopefully something like that could work out someday like you said, even if it were for a few little things it would be a lot of fun.  There is not a question whatsoever about whether I would do it and they know that.  It would only take ONE phone call and I’m in.

That basically confirms what I said above:  TSO is increasing awareness of the Savatage legacy.  I know TSO has been playing more Sava songs over the years, and it sound like they're gonna start dipping deeper into the Savatage catalogue in the future.  On the 2012 spring tour and the 2011 winter tour, I saw a few more 'Tage shirts then I did in previous years, and overheard a number of conversations about Savatage.  One guy at the spring show even yelled out "Play Hall Of The Mountain King!" toward the end of the show (interestingly, that was only a song or two before they played Chance).  Personally, I would be pretty satisfied if TSO played a Savatage set for the second half of their shows on the spring tour, as long as they get Jon and Zak on stage with them.   I hope they keep pushing Savatage through TSO, because the more TSO fans discover Savatage, the more of a demand there will be for a Savatage reunion, and sooner we may actually see a full-on Savatage show!   :metal

Offline 6sAllTheWay

« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »
Also big on Savatage  :hefdaddy Edge of Thorns is the album I revisit the most. My favorites are Sirens, the EP The Dungeons Are Calling, Streets and Edge of Thorns.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2012, 04:15:41 PM »
After quite some listens this week, Poets and Madmen has now officially entered my Top 50 - something that no other Savatage album has managed. I just love Jon Oliva's vocal delivery on this album, and it has some of Savatage's best songs, like There In The Silence, Comissar, Morphine Child and Sleep.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!