Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 102582 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #315 on: August 14, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
Wow that's a reissue!!

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2013, 02:10:38 AM »
Holy

Shit

This is fucking awesome!  All the narration, plus we finally get a proper release for Larry Elbows, both Japanese EOT bonus tracks AND (i believe) every Savatage music video!?

:metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2013, 02:12:59 AM »
Shotgun Innocence and Forever After are fantastic tunes.  With a release like this, it shows that there is a demand still for Savatage material.  Hopefully its a catalyst of some kind for one final disc of new material.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2013, 05:34:55 AM »
It's the narration I'm mainly excited about, and Larry's Elbows.  Although the vids are cool, Forever After and Shotgun Innocence are widely available.  I can't wait to hear this thing how it was originally intended.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
In retrospect, I kind of wish they had included the other 5 songs that were cut from Streets (Stay, Desiree, Sanctuary, Beyond Broadway and Tonight I Would Be King), but since all that remains of those songs in their Streets forms are very very rough demos, I guess they decided to omit them.  I suppose it also would have been somewhat redundant, as most of those songs have been released in one form or another anyways:  Stay and Desiree were both recorded as acoustic bonus tracks (Stay for the NA release of TWOM, and Desiree was on the '97 re-issue Streets), while Sanctuary and Beyond Broadway were just lyrical re-workings of older Savatage demos, Target and Before I Hang, respectively (Target was on the Silver re-issue of Sirens, BIH was on the Silver re-issue of Dungeons).    Still no release of Tonight I Would Be King, though  :'(

I can't complain too much though, this re-release is really bad ass as is.  I will definately be picking this up when it comes out!   :metal
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:17:22 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »
JON OLIVA MENTIONS POSSIBLE NEW SAVATAGE RECORDINGS IN INTERVIEW!!!!!

https://www.metalmeltdown.com/1/post/2013/06/interviews-jonoliva2013.html

So Jon conducted a very lengthy and in depth interview recently with Dr. Metal, during which he talked about the future of Savatage and whatnot, and said that while any future Savatage shows or tours are pretty much out of the question due to TSO's very demanding schedule, since TSO is going to be spending a lot of time in the studio finishing three upcoming albums, there may be the chance of a new Savatage EP being recorded:

I see the guys, I talk to the guys, I text them all the time, I see them at the rehearsals, I travel on the road with them. When we're in the studio, everybody's there, pretty much the same as it was when we were doing Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan. To me, we never really broke up. We just kind of said, 'This name is not working. We've got to put it on the shelf, because it's not working.' And that's the bottom line. The bottom line comes down to, perish the thought, but it comes down to making a living. We're not 21 anymore. We gave the best years of our lives to Savatage. When people sometimes actually get snotty with me about it, and I'm like, 'Where the hell were all you guys when we needed you to buy the record?' If Savatage would have released Dead Winter Dead and it sold 2 million records, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Somebody else explain to me how I could release the same song the next year and it sell millions. And then I walk around and I've got 6 platinum records on my wall, and not one of them says Savatage on it, folks. So what am I supposed to do? I've got a family to take care of. I've got responsibilities. I gave it as much time as I could to break. Now I have something that's become very successful. It's paid the bills for everybody, it's provided a living for all the guys from Savatage. We're still a family, we're still together, we still love each other. Why would I want to do anything to destroy that? Why would I want to put a monkey wrench in that to rehearse a week and go put a Savatage thing together? It doesn't make any sense to me. Now I'm up for maybe doing some recordings, maybe put together a 4-song or 5-song EP or something, but I can't shut down what provides a living for so many people, the Savatage guys mostly. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I think a lot of times Chris (Caffery) and Johnny and those guys just miss those days, and believe me, I miss them, too. I miss them probably more than any of them do. Johnny and Chris have been around for a while, but I was there for ten years before Johnny and Chris Caffery were around. So if anyone understands it, I do understand, but we just don't have the time to do both. That's why we had to make that decision - is it going to be Savatage, is it going to be TSO? The numbers don't lie. You can't fight the numbers. TSO sells out 40,000 tickets a day. I've done whole tours with Savatage in America where we didn't play in front of 40,000 people in 6 weeks, and people still argue with me about it. It drives me crazy. I'm like, 'I don't get it. I don't get it, guys. I don't get it.' I understand, but Savatage was a great band, and I want it to live on its legacy. I don't want to just slap something together real quick and cheapen the name. If I was ever going to do that, it would have to be big, at the level of TSO, the production and everything. I'm not just going to slap it together. That wouldn't be right, and I don't think it's necessary. Maybe we'll do some recording, though, maybe do an EP and put it out as a special thing.

We're working on three TSO albums at one time right now. We've got Romanov we're recording, we've got a 'Gutter Ballet' thing that we're working on, and we've got this new thing called 'Letters from the Labyrinth' that we're working on. So that to me, three albums that are backed up right now, that's at least, in the Paul O'Neill world, that's at least four years worth of work. So when do you do it? Is it worth cutting the foot off of the goose that lays the golden egg so everyone can go get their ya-ya's out? I don't know. Maybe I'd feel different a year from now. Right now I think the most important thing is to get these TSO projects done, get Romanov out, which is going to be a monstrous album. It's by far the best TSO stuff ever. And then play it by ear and see. I think it's more realistic for us to record because we're going to be in the studio for the next few years anyway in between tours with those guys. It'd be a lot easier, a lot more feasible for us. Let's write like 6 new Savatage songs and do something special for the fans and call it 'Final Curtain' or 'The End' or 'Goodnight' or 'Thank You' or whatever and put it out, and that I think would be more realistic.

At this point, I'm not sure how much I should get my hopes up, but with TSO playing more Savatage songs on recent tours, and Zak talking about taking a more active role in TSO, perhaps this could actually come to pass.  I would love to hear some new Savatage material, even knowing it could be for the last time.  But who knows; if they actually do an EP, and the sales are high enough, perhaps that will be enough to convince Jon and Paul that Savatage still has some life left in it yet.

Also, I highly recommend listening to the whole interview.  It is probably the longest and most detailed interview I've ever heard from Jon, and definitely worth it for any hard core Savatage fan.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:20 PM »
Oh please god, make this happen   :omg:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: September 06, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »
Yes please.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »
Im willing to bet that Jon gets asked about a Savatage reunion by fans on a very regular basis (maybe almost daily).  If they release something along the lines of a thank you or farewell then he can truly put closure on Savatage and satisfy this fanbase.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2013, 08:04:45 AM »
going to take alot of heat for this but Savatage stopped being Savatage when Jon stepped down from the lead vocals.....

Being a metal head first and foremost and a huge fan of Jon's style of singing and voice, when he decided to step aside, it really became the end of the band for me. I tried the follow-ups with Zac but they never reaally clicked with me
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »
going to take alot of heat for this but Savatage stopped being Savatage when Jon stepped down from the lead vocals.....

Being a metal head first and foremost and a huge fan of Jon's style of singing and voice, when he decided to step aside, it really became the end of the band for me. I tried the follow-ups with Zac but they never reaally clicked with me

Actually, I agree up to a point. I've heard all the Zac albums and have enjoyed the experience, yet I've never purchased any of them. I own most the Jon albums though and have them on regular rotation.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »

Exactly the opposite for me.  I didn't even buy the last disc because Zak wasn't on it. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »

Well, it's a good thing he came back to the vocals in Poets and Madmen then. I kind of agree, the Zac albums aren't as good, imo, but they are still really good albums overall.
As for Savatage tours - I don't care for that as much, I'd be happy if they decide to just be a studio band and release an album every 3-4 years in-between TSO tours.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #328 on: September 06, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »

Savatage lost a certain amount of their "character" when they switched singers. I'm not really a fan of either era but I see what you are saying.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #329 on: September 06, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
Wow...

I really love *all* eras of Savatage...and I even catch flack for being luke warm on Edge of Thorns.     But I think Savatage PEAKED with DWD and WOM.   Those albums are stunning. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #330 on: September 06, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »

I'm going to agree and disagree with this sentiment.  Jon Oliva stepping down from  the mic and the introduction of Zak had a massive impact on the sound of the band.  While Zak certainly had his metal influences as a singer, he's much more influenced by blues and country, and his style of vocals brought a completely different tone to Savatage.  That being said, I think Zak's voice was well suited for Savatage and the direction they were going on Edge Of Thorns.  White Gutter Ballet and Streets, the band got about as melodic as they could with Jon as the front man, and (no offence to Jon), in the age of MTV, Savatage wasn't going to achieve much commercial success with a singer looking like Jon.  Zak was better looking and had a more mainstream friendly voice, and combined with the more hard rock direction of EOT, the band managed to achieve a level of commercial crossover that had previously been un-attainable to them.  Had Criss not died, it is highly probably EOT would have been Savatage big break into the mainstream......

................Which leads me to my next point:  The change of singer was one of three major alterations Savatage went through between 1992 and 1994 that completely remade the band.  Criss's guitar riffs were just as significant to the  band's sound as Jon's voice, and when Criss passed away, a certain guitar driven edge was lost.  It is no coincidence that on Handful Of Rain, the band focused much more on symphonic orchestrations and complex vocal arrangements then ever before.  Criss's passing sparked a very conscious move away from guitar driven rock and into something more theatrical, something that the band had toyed with before, but now really became the defining element of the band.

Wacholz's permanent departure from the band after Criss's death sealed the end of "Classic" Savatage and the band that came into existence on Handful Of Rain was a very different entity then the band that had existed from '82 to '92.  Without Jon's voice, Criss's guitar or Wacholz's drums, the last remnants of the original Avatar lineup were swept away, and the band that made Dead Winter Dead, The Wake Of Magellan and even Poets And Madmen (yes, even with Jon's vocals) had much more in common with Trans-Siberian Orchestra then it did with Sirens or Dungeons.  They carried on as Savatage for a while, but when TSO became such a big phenomenon (with a Savatage song, no less) the writing was on the wall, and Savatage was laid to rest.

The thing is, though, to me, there is a very clear continuity between Old Savatage and Newer Savatage (and TSO as well).  In addition to Jon, Johnny and Caffery carried over from one era to the next, and Paul O'Neill and Bob Kinkel continued to shape the band in the studio just as they had before.  Furthermore, the direction the band took in their later years, and continued with as TSO, was something that had been in development as far back as Hall Of The Mountain King, and greatly expanded upon with Gutter and Streets.  The roots of TSO reach pretty far back into the Savatage discography, and there are strong ties between the band pre-'93 and post'93, despite the extensive changes to the music and roster.  Savatage never died for me, it evolved, and while I can understand if older Svatage fans dislike later 'Tage and TSO, I don't think it can be ignored that the band who made DWD did still retain some ties to the old days.

Quote from: abydos link=topic=7818.msg1664937#msg1664937
As for Savatage tours - I don't care for that as much, I'd be happy if they decide to just be a studio band and release an album every 3-4 years in-between TSO tours.

I'm actually going to agree with this.  I am much more interested in hearing new Savatage studio material then seeing a full blown Savatage tour, largely because TSO, JOP, and/or CIIC can (and probably will) play the new songs live, as well as continuing to play older Savatage songs.   If the band does continue to do Savatage records, and then those songs get played live by their various active projects, that would be more then enough to satisfy me.

Wow...

I really love *all* eras of Savatage...and I even catch flack for being luke warm on Edge of Thorns.     But I think Savatage PEAKED with DWD and WOM.   Those albums are stunning. 

I agree with DWD being one of the peaks of the band's career.  IMO, the pinnacle of Savatage as songwriters was Gutter Ballet though DWD. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:33:27 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: September 06, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
I'm listening to Gutter Ballet right now...oh, man it doesn't get any better than Hounds for me. Everything about it is pure 1000% the Savatage I love, the composition, the playing, the lyrics, the vocals, that teeth gritting solo, the dramatic haunting mood. They could have made a dozen records in this style and I would have bought and worshipped every one!!!

I'm going to restart the song over...  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
I'm listening to Gutter Ballet right now...oh, man it doesn't get any better than Hounds for me. Everything about it is pure 1000% the Savatage I love, the composition, the playing, the lyrics, the vocals, that teeth gritting solo, the dramatic haunting mood. They could have made a dozen records in this style and I would have bought and worshipped every one!!!

Listening to GB as well. Awesome album from start to finish. Just listened to HOTMK as well. Hmm. Thinking of having a Sava-day tomorrow.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: September 06, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »
 :lol

It's funny how it goes like that sometimes! I started the day with HOTMK, then Streets, then back to GB, and now I'm nearly through with Edge of Thorns. Watch, I'll probably not listen to Savatage for months now but today it was a perfect musical experience!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #334 on: September 06, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
I agree with DWD being one of the peaks of the band's career.  IMO, the pinnacle of Savatage as songwriters was Gutter Ballet though DWD.

Actually, they're pretty consistent since HotMK.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #335 on: September 06, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »

GB is such an uneven album to me.   I mean, ya...you've got the title track, and Hounds and When the Crowds are Gone....but you've also got She's In Love and Mentally Yours.  :|

Very high highs, and very low lows.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #336 on: September 06, 2013, 10:51:39 PM »
Quote from: jammindude link=topic=7818.msg1665315#msg1665315

GB is such an uneven album to me.   I mean, ya...you've got the title track, and Hounds and When the Crowds are Gone....but you've also got She's In Love and Mentally Yours.  :|

To be fair, I seem to remember Jon Oliva mentioning once that She's In Love was written as a sort of joke, poking fun at all the over-sexuallized hair metal songs that were popular at the time trying to pass off pure lust and sex as "love".   As for Mentally Yours....... well, the song is about a guy with severe mental disorders, so perhaps it is appropriate that the song itself sound a little schizophrenic!  I actually like that whole Timmy Trilogy that closes out the album.  It has a very Alice Cooper vibe that I really dig.

Overall, I really, really love Gutter Ballet.  While HOTMK was their first truly great album, GB was something totally new and unique, which saw Savatage really spreading their creative wings wide for the first time.  It is also probably the only album in the entire Savatage discography where you get a little bit of almost every side of the band, from Sirens-esque 80's metal to the more mainstream and Broadway style material that defined them in their later years.  Quite possibly the closest thing Savatage has to a truly definitive record.   :metal

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #337 on: September 06, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »
I don't know why but I always had a really hard time getting into Gutter Ballet. I like it better now, but it just didn't do anything for me years ago, however, When the Crowds are Gone is a great song and I even remember seeing a music video for it on MTV once way back in the day.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2013, 06:07:24 AM »

Never had a problem with either of those. I enjoyed the changes in style. This was my first Sava album and I was blown away. The only negative was Jon's voice on the ballads but it certainly wasn't a dealbreaker.
I remember taking the album round to a mates house the day I bought it, all excited, telling him I'd found this awesome band- put it on and he hated it.  :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »

Never had a problem with either of those. I enjoyed the changes in style. This was my first Sava album and I was blown away. The only negative was Jon's voice on the ballads but it certainly wasn't a dealbreaker.
I remember taking the album round to a mates house the day I bought it, all excited, telling him I'd found this awesome band- put it on and he hated it.  :biggrin:

:iagree:

Also, I love the total metal lyrics of Mentally Yours!

His tension life
He beats the wife
Douse the cat with gasoline
Gotta try
The other side
He just has to get away
That's when it all began
Timmy lost his mind
Was just a matter of time
Before he went crazy

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: September 08, 2013, 08:28:07 AM »
You know, Jon spends a lot of time explaining why he can't take time away from TSO to do Savatage.  But, that's not really the situation, is it?  Really, doing something with Savatage would be instead of doing JOP or CIIC type projects. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #341 on: September 08, 2013, 11:18:12 AM »
You know, Jon spends a lot of time explaining why he can't take time away from TSO to do Savatage.  But, that's not really the situation, is it?  Really, doing something with Savatage would be instead of doing JOP or CIIC type projects.

Yeah I don't quite understand the "no time or audience for Savatage" and then announcing JOP will play ProgPower next year doing the whole of Streets...

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #342 on: September 08, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »
My understanding of the situation is that because of TSO, Jon and the rest of Savatage are on opposite schedules.  When Jon is writing the TSO albums with Paul; that's when Caffery, Middleton, Pitrelli and Plate can do their side projects.  When TSO is on tour with Caffery, Middleton, Pitrelli and Plate; that's when Jon does JOP and his solo stuff.  The only time they are all together is when they are recording as TSO.  That is why it is more feasible right now for them to record some Savatage songs then to tour as Savatage; because recording a few Sava-tracks while working on TSO records doesn't stop the big TSO machine, whereas a Savatage summer tour would.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
Some killer live footage from Greece in 2002:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7vIkhxtLg

I think it says a lot about the level of success TSO has attained if Savatage can turn their backs on these sorts of crowds.  I also think the band stilled had a lot of fire left in them back in 2001-2002, and it's all the more criminal that they didn't continue on making albums after P&M.  They really seem like they stilled had a  lot more to say, even a t such a late point in their careers.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:57 AM »
Finally got the narrated version of Streets.  Interesting that they used the song DT Jesus and Jesus Saves is not on here at all.  I guess the original version was supposed to be on there instead if this version is anything to go by.

Dark Master, can you enlighten me with some info on this?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: November 25, 2013, 05:29:04 AM »
Ah............now I really dig DTF..............a dedicated Savatage thread  :hefdaddy

I've sorta lost touch with many of my favourite bands over recent years in the metal area.  I've kept up with the melodic rock stuff (most of which is pretty average) but there's only so much time in the day.

Savatage may not quite swing it for my fave album of all time but across their catalogue they'd be right  in amongst it for my favourite band ever along with a couple of others.

good stuff guys and thanks for a quick, comprehensive update via this thread  :tup
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:42:49 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #346 on: November 25, 2013, 05:50:00 AM »
Finally got the narrated version of Streets.  Interesting that they used the song DT Jesus and Jesus Saves is not on here at all.  I guess the original version was supposed to be on there instead if this version is anything to go by.

It's the same song basically but I think there are some differences in the composition.  DT Jesus was originally released as a bonus track on From The Gutter To The Stage. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #347 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »

Listened to it the other day on Spotify. Not sure the narration adds anything positive tbh and although I like the DT Jesus track I prefer Jesus Saves (that tone!). Shame we#ll never get the full presentation.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #348 on: November 25, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
Some killer live footage from Greece in 2002:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7vIkhxtLg

I think it says a lot about the level of success TSO has attained if Savatage can turn their backs on these sorts of crowds.  I also think the band stilled had a lot of fire left in them back in 2001-2002, and it's all the more criminal that they didn't continue on making albums after P&M.  They really seem like they stilled had a  lot more to say, even a t such a late point in their careers.
Didn't the line-up go through some drastic changes after the P&M release?  Zak left.  Pitrelli was gone.  They had Jack Frost on guitar (until they asked him to leave) and Damond Jiniya doing Zak's vocals.  Plus, they were having much more success with the TSO holiday juggernaut than they did with Savatage.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #349 on: November 25, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »

Didn't the line-up go through some drastic changes after the P&M release?  Zak left.  Pitrelli was gone.  They had Jack Frost on guitar (until they asked him to leave) and Damond Jiniya doing Zak's vocals.  Plus, they were having much more success with the TSO holiday juggernaut than they did with Savatage.

Zak left before Poets and Madmen was recorded and Oliva did the vocals.