Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 102491 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 04, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »
Handful of Rain or Gutter Ballet for me.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »

Considering I'm on a tight budget, I'm debating on which 'Tage album I want to pick up next: Dead Winter Dead, Handful of Rain or Poets & Madmen. I might scratch out HoR within the hour though, if I end up not liking the rest of the album, but I think it'll probably still be there. I'm really liking that one so far. Anyways, from those three options, which you guys recommend I pick up first? I'd prefer to get an album with Zak on vocals first, since I currently only have HotMK, but I really liked P&MM a lot too.

Definitely Dead Winter Dead, IMO.  I have a very difficult time deciding between that album and Streets for which is my favourite 'Tage record.  Recently, I've been leaning more towards DWD, as I've been more in the mood for the more symphonic/proggy side of Savatage.  Furthermore, if you like Trans-Siberian Orchestra at all, DWD is mandatory, as it was on that record where Savatage really became TSO for the first time.

All that being said though:

Savatage have no weak albums.  The only one that would come close to weak would obviously be Fight for the Rock.

This is completely true     ;)

I actually decided to go with DWD after giving it a re-listen. :tup I'm not sure if I prefer it over HoR or not, but it's more affordable for me and it feels more like an actual band on that album (unsurprising since Jon recorded most of HoR on his own). Either way, I'm relatively certain I will be picking up the rest of the 'Tage albums in the near future. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: July 04, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
DWD is a pretty special album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #283 on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
DWD is a pretty special album.

Yeah, the more I listen to it, the more I'm loving it. Definitely made the right call on picking that one! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »
DWD happened to be my first exposure to the 'Tage. After thoroughly enjoying it, I had a hard time getting into their earlier stuff, but eventually got the whole catalog. You can't really go wrong. DWD and Wake of Magellen is my favorite 1-2 punch.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #285 on: July 05, 2013, 12:43:37 AM »
I always thought that Wake of Magellan is the better Dead Winter Dead, meaning that the style they introduced on DWD is perfected on Magellan, but that's just me.

So anyway, my favorite 'Tage record at the moment might be Poets and Madmen.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #286 on: July 05, 2013, 12:44:40 AM »
I always thought that Wake of Magellan is the better Dead Winter Dead, meaning that the style they introduced on DWD is perfected on Magellan, but that's just me.

Yeah, that's my favourite as well. I love how gritty it is and Jon's voice on it is amazing. Plus, Morphine Child = instant win.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #287 on: July 05, 2013, 01:46:49 AM »

Yeah, that's my favourite as well. I love how gritty it is and Jon's voice on it is amazing. Plus, Morphine Child = instant win.

I loved listening to Poets & Madmen. Almost definitely the best Savatage album with Jon as the main vocalist! :metal

Again, part of the reason why I ended up choosing between Dead Winter Dead or Handful of Rain is because I wanted to get an album with Zak on vocals next, since I already have one with Jon on vocals. Since I decided to go with DWD first, I'll probably get P&MM and HoR together in the near future. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
Gutter Ballet and Streets for me. The others are good but not on a par with those two. Relistened to P&M a few weeks ago and it's still not a favourite. I'd take Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Beethoven's Last Night over most of Sava's catalogue too. Love that album and it is pretty much a Savatage album.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
Gutter Ballet and Streets for me. The others are good but not on a par with those two. Relistened to P&M a few weeks ago and it's still not a favourite. I'd take Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Beethoven's Last Night over most of Sava's catalogue too. Love that album and it is pretty much a Savatage album.

Love Gutter Ballet. Definitely the best album with Criss on guitar, IMO.

However, while I know most people seem to LOVE Streets: A Rock Opera, it hasn't really clicked with me... yet. There's definitely some immediately terrific moments on that album IMO, but I'll need more listens to make more sense of that album. As it stands, it's definitely one of the lower ranking 'Tage album I've heard so far (note: I haven't listened to Fight for the Rock or any of the other pre-HotMK 'Tage albums yet). Still, I wouldn't be surprised if my thoughts on it changed with repeated listens.

Currently re-listening to The Wake of Magellan. It's interesting how it's so stylistically similar to Dead Winter Dead, yet it has such a totally different vibe about it. Like both albums a lot, though I prefer DWD. What about everyone else?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:03:08 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »

While I don't rate Gutter Ballet quite that high, it is a really excellent album in it's own right. The title track is my favourite Savatage song of all time, When The Crowds Are Gone is IMO the best 80's power ballad ever written, and the album as a whole is my second favourite album from the 80's (beaten out only by Operation: Mindcrime!).  Truth be told, aside from my two favourites (Streets and DWD), I have difficult time choosing the order in which I like all the other O'Neill era SavaAlbums because they are all masterpieces unto themselves!

Poets & Madmen is an awesome record, but knowing about what happened during the production of it, I feel like it could have been so much more.  While Jon's performance on the album is nothing short of masterful, I really wish they had waited for Zak to take care of his personal shit before finishing the album, as I strongly feel his presence would have really benefited the music on that record.  With Zak on P&M, we would have gotten the dual vocal interplay we were promised, and furthermore, the record would have included the songs that were cut from the album due to Zak's absence.  The loss of both was a tragic mistake on Jon's part, and I firmly believe Zak's departure contributed mightily to the decline of the band's popularity, and the ultimate mothballing of Savatage, in the early 2000's.

Beyond all that, though, I was a little dissapointed whin I first heard the record largely because I was all for the grandiose operatic style of DWD, TWOM and TSO, and I had really wanted to see Savatage continue down that creative path.   In fact, when the band first started talking about making P&M (around the summer of '99 or so), the first comments from Jon, Paul and Caffery about the direction of the record indicated that it would be very much in the same vein as DWD, TWOM and TSO:  multiple vocalists, epic neo-classical instrumentals, big symphonic production, etc.  It was only later that Paul announced that he would not be writing a story for the record, and Jon decided to make it into a more straightforward metal album, downplaying the symphonic and operatic elements of the band.  Then Paul changed his mind and made it into a concept album anyways, and then Zak left and we only got Jon on vocals instead of the best of both worlds...............   Don't get me wrong, I love that album for what it is, but I can't help but feel that it could have been much better.  Especially coming off of Beethoven's Last Night, it was a bit of a disappointment for me.

And speaking of BLN, that particular record is just fucking phenomenal, the magnum opus of TSO's career thus far.  By far the darkest and most epic of TSO's albums, with both Jon and Zak singing a few leads here and there, it does sound the closest to Savatage of all the TSO records.  Plus the story is, in my opinion, the best Paul has written yet:  Beethoven trying to avoid making a deal with the Devil to prevent his own damnation?  Absolutely brilliant!  If I count Savatage and TSO as the same band, BLN would rank right below Streets and DWD as my 3rd favourite record in the entire combined discography.

Currently re-listening to The Wake of Magellan. It's interesting how it's so stylistically similar to Dead Winter Dead, yet it has such a totally different vibe about it. Like both albums a lot, though I think I prefer DWD. What about everyone else?

TWOM, along with Handful Of Rain, was one of the Savatage album that took me a very long time to "get".  At first I was a bit put off by the warmer sound and more laid back, bluesy vibe, but overtime, I began to realize that both those albums were every bit as ambitious and musically vast as any other O' Neil era record, just slightly more subtle in their epic-ness.  In fact, over the past few years, TWOM has become one of my most listened to Savatage records, perhaps because it's lack of immediate gratification has given it an enduring longevity.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2013, 01:17:59 AM »
Just started re-listening to Streets: A Rock Opera! So far, I can say it's much more impressive this time around! :metal However I'm still pretty early on in the album and it's pretty damn long. But so far, so good. :metal

EDIT: Okay so I just finished... HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THAT ALBUM WAS AMAZING!!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :metal :metal :metal :metal

*cough* Pardon my French there. :lol But yeah, I'm blown away. Far better that second time around! Definitely right up there with Dead Winter Dead, Handful of Rain and Poets & Madmen for me. Just... WOW. What a fantastic album...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:17:24 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: July 06, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
Yes Streets is an amazing album. I'm sure fans at the time were wondering what was going on with their sound, but it's a classic for sure.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »
Yes Streets is an amazing album. I'm sure fans at the time were wondering what was going on with their sound, but it's a classic for sure.

I love the guitar sound on Streets. Criss' best work for me. Huge sound.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »

I love the guitar sound on Streets. Criss' best work for me. Huge sound.

Agreed. As far Criss-era Savatage goes, I'd say it's probably between Streets or Gutter Ballet. I have yet to re-check Edge of Thorns though, so that might change.

But that being said, I still LOVE the post-Criss albums a great deal. Alex Skolnick was brilliant on Handful of Rain and I love the duo of Chris Caffery and Al Pitrelli on the albums after that.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2013, 03:46:25 AM »
I never understood that Caffery came back into the band and instantly was demoted to rhythm guitar, bar 1 or 2 solos on both DWD and TWOM for Pitrelli.  I assume it was for the live benefit, as Petrilli would take the newer songs while Caffery played Criss's songs, but I always found it odd. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #296 on: July 07, 2013, 03:52:13 AM »
I never understood that Caffery came back into the band and instantly was demoted to rhythm guitar, bar 1 or 2 solos on both DWD and TWOM for Pitrelli.  I assume it was for the live benefit, as Petrilli would take the newer songs while Caffery played Criss's songs, but I always found it odd.

For some reason I don't find Pitrelli a particularly interesting soloist. Nothing really stands out on anything I've heard him on. Solid, certainly, just not very noticable.
Going to have to dig out those middle albums again, it's been too long.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: July 07, 2013, 03:56:42 AM »
His work on those two album are very good, but yeah, he's great, but nothing special.  IMO, Caffery is probably the better guitarist.  Check out his first solo album Faces, amzing metal.

Just never understood why the solos weren't split down the middle.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #298 on: July 07, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
Iknow I've mentioned this before, but since this topic came up again:

After Criss died, Atlantic came very close to dropping Savatage.  The Powers That Be at the label had serious doubts about the vitality of the band without Criss playing lead guitar.  Jon and Paul had already started writing new music, basically because it was the only way they could work through the pain from the loss of Criss, but under label pressure, the new material was turned into a new Savatage album because the label wanted a new SavaAlbum ASAP so they could find out whether or not the fans would give two shits about the band without Criss.  Jon had already asked Alex to play on the record as a sort of personal favour to Criss, but when the album became the next Savatage album, Alex found himself as the new guitarist for the band (for the record, Caffery was asked first, but declined, as he was still in shock from Criss' death).  Zak subsequently was brought in to sing on Handful Of Rain, as he had just been introduced as the new vocalist on the last album.

After the HOR tour, however, Alex and the band had second thoughts.  Alex's style did not really mesh well with the old Savatage material and the way he had changed around solos live on classic songs infuriated the fans.  With Alex gone, Caffery finally accepted Jon's invitation to rejoin Savatage, as he had played extensively with Criss and know how to play the songs properly.  However, with both Criss' death and then Alex's departure, Atlantic felt that another, more well known guitarist was needed to give some sort of credibility to the long-term vitality and marketability of the band.   

You have to look at it from the label's point of view:  With in a little over a year, the band had lost both their original lead guitarist, and his celebrity replacement.   The train of thought at Atlantic was that only another famous and tenured shredder could possibly fill in Criss' shoes, at least, from a marketing standpoint.  The only thing Caffery had done up to that point as a  lead guitarist was Doctor Butcher, and that didn't even get released outside of Europe.  Sure, Caffery could play all the old shit live from his experience in Savatage from '87-'90, but the label wanted an already established musician to take over lead duties on future albums.  Al had played with Alice Cooper, Asia and Dee Snider's Widowmaker, plus Jon and Paul had already considered recruiting him back in '93 when they first started laying the foundation for the Broadway-rock group that would perform Romanov (what eventually became TSO).  To keep the label happy, he became the logical choice.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »

After Criss died, Atlantic came very close to dropping Savatage.  The Powers That Be at the label had serious doubts about the vitality of the band without Criss playing lead guitar.  Jon and Paul had already started writing new music, basically because it was the only way they could work through the pain from the loss of Criss, but under label pressure, the new material was turned into a new Savatage album because the label wanted a new SavaAlbum ASAP so they could find out whether or not the fans would give two shits about the band without Criss.  Jon had already asked Alex to play on the record as a sort of personal favour to Criss, but when the album became the next Savatage album, Alex found himself as the new guitarist for the band (for the record, Caffery was asked first, but declined, as he was still in shock from Criss' death).  Zak subsequently was brought in to sing on Handful Of Rain, as he had just been introduced as the new vocalist on the last album.

After the HOR tour, however, Alex and the band had second thoughts.  Alex's style did not really mesh well with the old Savatage material and the way he had changed around solos live on classic songs infuriated the fans.  With Alex gone, Caffery finally accepted Jon's invitation to rejoin Savatage, as he had played extensively with Criss and know how to play the songs properly.  However, with both Criss' death and then Alex's departure, Atlantic felt that another, more well known guitarist was needed to give some sort of credibility to the long-term vitality and marketability of the band.   

You have to look at it from the label's point of view:  With in a little over a year, the band had lost both their original lead guitarist, and his celebrity replacement.   The train of thought at Atlantic was that only another famous and tenured shredder could possibly fill in Criss' shoes, at least, from a marketing standpoint.  The only thing Caffery had done up to that point as a  lead guitarist was Doctor Butcher, and that didn't even get released outside of Europe.  Sure, Caffery could play all the old shit live from his experience in Savatage from '87-'90, but the label wanted an already established musician to take over lead duties on future albums.  Al had played with Alice Cooper, Asia and Dee Snider's Widowmaker, plus Jon and Paul had already considered recruiting him back in '93 when they first started laying the foundation for the Broadway-rock group that would perform Romanov (what eventually became TSO).  To keep the label happy, he became the logical choice.

That Widowmaker album is very good.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »
Wake of Magellan is my all time favorite Tage album...and I'm really happy that they went out on top. 

Well...kinda.

Poets and Madmen was the album that took me forever to get into.   It wasn't because I didn't like Jon or anything.   I had been a Streets fan since its release, so I was actually EXCITED about Jon taking lead duties back over.   But for some reason, the final result just did NOTHING for me.   Even after a dozen spins.    What's weird is that I put it on the shelf where it gathered dust for YEARS.   Then I was doing a Savatage album discussion on the MP forum...so I did a re-listen...and it just all clicked.   I love that album now.   Don't know why it didn't hit me at first.   (but I still like WoM better)

Gutter Ballet has some great songs...but it's too uneven.    It's this weird crossover.   They were going in a great new direction with the title track and WTCAG...but then songs like She's In Love and Of Rage and War that just sounded like throwbacks to Sirens.   The two sounds just didn't blend well to me, and it sounded like they couldn't figure out if they wanted to be Queen or DiAnno's version of Iron Maiden. 

As much as I had *LIKED* Savatage ever since HotMK...and liked Streets in particular...it wasn't until DWD that I became a complete Savatage freak.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »

I never knew all this and I never would have thought it was a label decision.  Thanks for the info that really cleared it up.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #302 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »
After giving a few more spin-throughs to a few of the 'Tage albums, I think I can say that if Zak had sang on Streets: A Rock Opera, that would've definitely been my favorite album. It might be my favorite by them regardless, I'm not sure, but I'm listening to a bootleg of Savatage on the Edge of Thorns tour and I love hearing Zak singing the older material with Criss on guitar. It's a shame the two of them were only on one 'Tage album together.

Zak singing 'Streets' and 'Ghost in the Ruins' in 1993! :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aghe4-ihbPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpJAbuNa_Q
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »
After giving a few more spin-throughs to a few of the 'Tage albums, I think I can say that if Zak had sang on Streets: A Rock Opera, that would've definitely been my favorite album. It might be my favorite by them regardless, I'm not sure, but I'm listening to a bootleg of Savatage on the Edge of Thorns tour and I love hearing Zak singing the older material with Criss on guitar. It's a shame the two of them were only on one 'Tage album together.

I'm not the biggest Jon vocal guy, but I like him on Streets. Maybe Zak would be better on the quieter stuff but Jon's vice is good there for me. My biggest problem with P&M was Jon's voice. After having Zak in the band it was hard to go back. P&M just didn't do it for me. It's not awful, jus not up htere with their best.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
To each their own, I guess, but P&M is my favourite Savatage album, because of Jon's voice, largely. While Zak is talented, I never liked the sound of his voice, I much prefer Jon's raspier tone, it gives the songs a very fitting and welcome edge.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »

I'm not the biggest Jon vocal guy, but I like him on Streets. Maybe Zak would be better on the quieter stuff but Jon's vice is good there for me. My biggest problem with P&M was Jon's voice. After having Zak in the band it was hard to go back. P&M just didn't do it for me. It's not awful, jus not up htere with their best.

I love Jon's voice, but once I heard Zak singing some of the older material from when Jon was the main singer, I really wish there was more heavier Savatage material with Zak on vocals. That being said, I don't have anything against Jon's performance on Streets. He's great on it. I just wish I could hear more of Zak singing it. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »
While looking for Jon singing Zak stuff, I came across this version of Edge of Thorns, featuring Todd La Torre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BouXYmkR4q4

I'm firmly in Jon's camp though. I like Zak, he has a very friendly, yet very powerful voice but almost every Savatage song I hear him on I think "This would have been better with Jon". And Poets and Madmen is right up there with Streets and Gutter Ballet for me. This album is just incredible and I'm glad that it's 100% Oliva.

Speaking of Oliva's Edge of Thorns, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxGx1J5mHA8

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
While looking for Jon singing Zak stuff, I came across this version of Edge of Thorns, featuring Todd La Torre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BouXYmkR4q4

God I love listening to Todd sing. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I'm firmly in Jon's camp though. I like Zak, he has a very friendly, yet very powerful voice but almost every Savatage song I hear him on I think "This would have been better with Jon". And Poets and Madmen is right up there with Streets and Gutter Ballet for me. This album is just incredible and I'm glad that it's 100% Oliva.

Speaking of Oliva's Edge of Thorns, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxGx1J5mHA8

I love both singers a lot. Jon's terrific on his albums and Zak is terrific on his albums too. However, I think it's a shame that Zak only had one album with Criss on guitar. Edge of Thorns is brilliant, but when I listen to Streets and Handful of Rain, I wonder how it would've sounded if the both of them were on those albums. Ah well. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2013, 02:41:03 AM »
That was an awesome version of Edge of Thorns with TLT

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »
Have you guys listened to the bonus tracks on P&M? Mainly the acoustic version of Tonight He Grins Again. My god, I love Jon's deep mellow voice.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
Yeah, it's amazing. I think I actually prefer it to the original.

By the way, P&M also features an acoustic version of Sleep as a bonus track - what's the difference between the original and the acoustic version?

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #311 on: July 10, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »
Yeah, it's amazing. I think I actually prefer it to the original.

By the way, P&M also features an acoustic version of Sleep as a bonus track - what's the difference between the original and the acoustic version?

The original was done on acoustic guitar with Zak singing.  The acoustic version is on piano with Jon singing, and first appeared as a bonus track on the North American version of The Wake Of Magellan.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2013, 05:15:04 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/savatage-streets-a-rock-opera-narrated-version-reissue-detailed/

earMUSIC has announced the long-awaited final chapter of the successful SAVATAGE reissues series. Previously unreleased and originally only intended for the Broadway rendition, "Streets: A Rock Opera" — the groundbreaking album by SAVATAGE — is now available including its original narration parts.

To complete this extraordinary release and to award the many fans who have shown dedication and love for SAVATAGE's legacy, the final chapter of this reissue series will feature the band's favorite videos. Released for the first time on DVD and restored from the original tapes, the video collection spans from SAVATAGE's 1987's video "Hall Of The Mountain King" until 1996's "One Child".

As on all previous chapters of the SAVATAGE reissues series, the album includes newly written liner notes by Jon Oliva, who is sharing his memories about all SAVATAGE videos.

Fans looking for unreleased and rare bonus tracks will be happy to discover a lot of extra audio content on the DVD: "Shotgun Innocence", "Forever After", one instrumental acoustic version of "Voyage", live versions of "Stare Into The Sun" and "Conversation Piece" recorded in Japan (but NOT included on the official live CD) and the piano version of "Sleep". The bonus track "Larry Elbows" deserves a special mention: this previously unreleased song didn't make it on the original "Streets: A Rock Opera" album due to time limits and is finally available to all the fans that never forgot the creativity and the energy of this extraordinary band.

"I'm really excited for this version of 'Streets' to finally be released," says Jon Oliva. "It was something different, an idea that Paul O'Neill had to take the progressive rock opera format to a bigger and better place than anything we had done, and anything I had heard anyone else doing before. This version of the album has only been floating around on bootlegs."

CD "Streets: A Rock Opera: Narrated Version"

01. Streets
02. Narration To "Jesus"
03. Jesus Saves (Original Version)
04. Narration To "Tonight He Grins Again"
05. Tonight He Grins Again
06. Narration To "Strange Reality"
07. Strange Reality
08. Narration To "A Little Too Far"
09. A Little Too Far
10. Narration To "You're Alive"
11. You're Alive
12. Narration To "Sammy And Tex"
13. Sammy And Tex
14. Narration To "St. Patrick's"
15. St. Patrick's
16. Narration To "Can You Hear Me Now"
17. Can You Hear Me Now
18. Narration To "New York City Don't Mean Nothing"
19. New York City Don't Mean Nothing
20. Narration To "Ghost In The Ruins"
21. Ghost In The Ruins
22. Narration To "If I Go Away"
23. If I Go Away
24. Narration To "Agony And Ecstasy"
25. Agony And Ecstasy
26. Narration To "Heal My Soul"
27. Heal My Soul
28. Narration To "Somewhere In Time
29. Somewhere In Time
30. Believe

Bonus Track

31. Larry Elbows (previously unreleased)

DVD The Video Collection

01. Hall Of The Mountain King
02. 24 Hrs. Ago
03. Gutter Ballet
04. When The Crowds Are Gone
05. Jesus Saves
06. Edge Of Thorns
07. Sleep
08. Handful Of Rain
09. One Child

Bonus Audio Tracks

01. Sleep (piano version)
02. Stare Into The Sun (Live In Japan)
03. Conversation Piece (Live In Japan)
04. Voyage (Al Pitrelli acoustic instrumental)
05. Shotgun Innocence
06. Forever After

HOLY SHIT YES!!  :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #313 on: August 14, 2013, 05:25:34 AM »
Not a fan but that looks like quite a package.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
Are these reissues available in the US?  I tried to find that Streets Reissue and ended up finding the pre-order on the German Amazon page.