Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 101563 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »
I'd say get Edge of Thorns and Gutter Ballet, that way you get a good taste of both styles of Savatage, as Jon is very different to Zak.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »
I think you can get into 'tage successfully different ways.  My first 'tage albums were Streets and Dead Winter Dead, and I turned out ok  :biggrin:

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #247 on: February 04, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
My first Savatage release was The Dungeons Are Calling.
I used to see them play at a roller rink back in the 80's in FL
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #248 on: February 04, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »
Wow, since when did this thread get updated?!  I disappear for like a month and miss a 'Tage discussion?!   :'(

Anyways, I really don't think there is any particular Savatage record that is the perfect introduction for everyone out there, simply because Savatage changed their style so much throughout their careers.  For most people, I think the easiest Sava-album to get into is Edge Of Thorns; it's got a lot of great, radio friendly songs that are easily digestible, even for non-metal fans, and Zak's voice is very pleasant yet powerful, and has enough grace and gentility to not scare anyone off, while still having enough of an edge to appeal to the metalheads out there.

For the more metal fans, I would definitely say Hall Of The Mountain King is the record to hear first.  While Sirens, Dungeons and POTN are strong and have their merits, it was on HOTMK where Savatage really started to discover themselves musically, as well as begin to branch out into a more progressive/neo-classical direction.  This was my first Savatage record, and while it has not been my favourite for quite some time, I still think it is probably the best album for an introduction to the more metal side of 'Tage.

For the people discovering Savatage from TSO, I think Dead Winter Dead, The Wake Of Magellan and, to a lesser extent, Handful Of Rain are all excellent albums for an introduction into the world of 'Tage.  DWD and TWOM both have that familiar TSO sound, and while they are a bit heavier then the Christmas records, anyone who could handle Beethoven's Last Night or Night Castle should be able to handle 1994-1998-era Savatage.  If a TSO fan has a more metal side, then Gutter Ballet, Streets and Poets & Madmen would also be good places to start.

Also, the whole reason I came here was to post this recent Jon Oliva interview:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I23C4SgiChs.  Jon talks again about his upcoming solo record, the future of JOP and even mentions the possibility of a Savatage reunion show.  Definitely worth checking out!

....and no, I have not heard the new CIIC record.   :'(  Life's been crazy for me recently and I haven't had anytime to check out new music, so I've mostly been making do with what is familiar.  I've actually been listening to a lot of Kamelot and WASP recently  (strange combination, I know), but I was listening to Savatage earlier today, hence why I decided to check out the thread.  I actually had forgotten about the CIIC record, but I will definitely check it out as soon as I'm able...

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
so I'm listening to Hall of the Mountain King for the first time and hear "Mars" quoted in the intro to "Prelude to Madness" (which is obviously a direct reference to Gynt's INHOTMK).  Loving this album so far!

:tup
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2013, 04:27:50 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=188436

JON OLIVA'S PAIN and SAVATAGE mastermind Jon Oliva will release his first-ever solo album on June 5 via AFM Records. The 11-song CD, which contains ideas collected over the course of the last four or five years, was tracked this past winter at Morrisound Studios in Tampa, Florida with producer Tom Morris, with Jon handling laying down nearly all the instrument tracks and vocals himself as well as playing drums on three songs.

Commented JON OLIVA'S PAIN drummer/producer Christopher Kinder: "Oliva will be the first to admit that it took one hell of a challenge writing, performing 90% of all the tracks himself and vocals... he is exhausted, for sure."

He added: "It's a very interesting and powerful offering. Diverse, emotional, and varying styles of writing and music everywhere. A truly great accomplishment for the mountain king, indeed."

Oliva previously stated about his decision to record a solo album: "I've got some weird ideas that I wanna try and I've got some time to do it. I don't want do just 'another' JON OLIVA'S PAIN record. I've done four of those already. I wanna do something different. I have some material that I've wanted to put out for a while, that I'll talk with the record company about, maybe putting something out quickly, like in the next four or five months, to give me more time to do this JON OLIVA'S PAIN record. I want the next JON OLIVA'S PAIN CD to be very special. I've got some great friends from other bands that are going to be a significant part of the next JON OLIVA'S PAIN release. We are going to do a killer JON OLIVA'S PAIN record and then an additional bonus CD with guest stars... kind of like the AVANTASIA thing, but not in a story line. [EDGUY and AVANTASIA mastermind] Tobias Sammet does a magnificent job with it, but I don't have that much time to write a whole story, so I'll just have some powerhouse friends from various bands come in and take it over the top."

Looking forward to this.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
Yeah, this should be a good album Jon's got in the works right now.  Allegedly, it uses up the last of the Criss Oliva demos left over from the early Savatage days, so in a way, this record will mark the end of an era for Jon as well as the Savatage/JOP fans.  He said the solo album sounds a little bit different then Savatage or JOP, so I am very curious to see the results of the purely Jon Oliva record.  I'm guessing that since he plays most of the instruments on it, we'll get a much more laid back, much less shreddy album, kinda of like most of Handful Of Rain.  Anyways, I'm definately gonna have to pick this up when it drops.  Any now Jon Oliva record is the next best thing to Savatage.   :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »
Will be interesting to see who's on lead guitar.  I'm open to anything really, bring it on I say.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
Cool to hear.  What did you guys think of the new Circle II Circle; I thought it was great.  Top three from the band for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »
It was good, but I never really gave it repeated listens.  I need to get it out again.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #256 on: April 10, 2013, 09:39:24 PM »
Cool to hear.  What did you guys think of the new Circle II Circle; I thought it was great.  Top three from the band for me.

I just got it the other day, but have not yet had the chance to hear it.  I've been going to the gym a lot recently, though, so the next time I have a workout, I'll give it a spin.

Jon Oliva gave a new interview: https://www.hangar19radio.com/category/show-audio/  The first half is a lot of stuff about Jon's musical roots, the origins of Savatage and the transition into TSO; it's kinda cool, but really nothing we haven't hear before, but around 11:50, he starts to talk about the future of JOP and his solo album.  The solo record will be called Raise the Curtain, and Jon says he will play everything on the album except some of the drums and keyboard (so he will actually be playing all the guitar leads on the record himself.   He also discusses the possibility of a 25th anniversary reunion for Gutter Ballet in 2014 and mentions that he may "kidnap" some of the Savatage guys from TSO for such an event.  He also goes on to talk quite a bit about Romanov, and from what he says it sounds very awesome.  He calls it the best thing he and Paul have ever written together and mentions that it has some pretty dark, gothic and metal stuff on it, as well as some of the best ballads they've ever produced.

If that 25th aniversery of GB happens, I will definately be there, especially if some of the Sava-guys are on board.  That sounds like it would be fucking amazing!    :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Hmmm...didn't know he could play lead, or there is limited guitar solos.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2013, 08:45:46 PM »
HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY SAVATAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savatage's debut album Sirens was released on April 11th 1983!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2013, 03:27:39 AM »
30 years, incredible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: May 12, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »
Out on June 5!!

ON OLIVA'S PAIN and SAVATAGE mastermind Jon Oliva will release his first-ever solo album, "Raise The Curtain", on June 5 via AFM Records. The 11-song CD, which contains ideas collected over the course of the last four or five years, was tracked this past winter at Morrisound Studios in Tampa, Florida with producer Tom Morris, with Jon handling laying down nearly all the instrument tracks and vocals himself as well as playing drums on three songs.

"Raise The Curtain" track listing:

01. Raise The Curtain
02. Soul Chaser
03. Ten Years
04. Father Time
05. I Know
06. Big Brother
07. Armageddon
08. Soldier
09. Stalker
10. The Witch
11. Can't Get Away
12. The Truth (bonus track)

Check out the cover artwork below.

Commented JON OLIVA'S PAIN drummer/producer Christopher Kinder: "Oliva will be the first to admit that it took one hell of a challenge writing, performing 90% of all the tracks himself and vocals... he is exhausted, for sure."

He added: "It's a very interesting and powerful offering. Diverse, emotional, and varying styles of writing and music everywhere. A truly great accomplishment for the mountain king, indeed."

Last summer, JON OLIVA'S PAIN toured Europe where it celebrated the 25th anniversary of one of heavy metal's most iconic records, "Hall Of The Mountain King" by SAVATAGE. The band performed the entire album as a special one-time-only treat for the still massive amount of loyal fans, along with songs from the DOCTOR BUTCHER album (by Jon Oliva and Chris Caffery, released in 1995), SAVATAGE and JON OLIVA'S PAIN.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »
UltimateMetal.com has an early review: https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/876791-jon-oliva-raise-curtain-review.html

Sound's really cool, essentially old school 70's hard rock/heavy metal done Oliva/Savatage style.  I'm definitely gonna be picking this up when it comes out next month.   :metal
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:02:32 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »

I like it, but it didn't blow me away

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: June 02, 2013, 02:49:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewjuNgRYU8

New song from Jon's solo album.  Really nice, the production sounds a bit shit, but a good song.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2013, 03:18:59 AM »
That's actually quite nice and refreshingly upbeat. Definitely prefer to the last few JOP albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: June 02, 2013, 03:20:59 AM »
yeah, it's different, to me, not better or worse, which is cool.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #266 on: June 03, 2013, 05:26:12 PM »
Well.... that was different.  When I first heard his next record was going to be a solo album, it raised my eyebrows, as I always wonder what the point was of Jon doing a solo album when, at least in Savatage and JOP, he was already the main songwriter anyways.   Well, this definitely does not sound like Savatage or JOP, so now I can totally understand and appreciate Jon's decision to put this out as a solo album.

That being said, though, I really like this.  Kind of sounds like Deep Purple meets Ozzy-in-his-more-hippyesque-moments.  I really dig the organ solo in the middle.  One of my favourite things on the JOP records has been Jon's liberal use of electric organs, and it's cool to hear him use those sounds in a somewhat different musical style and context.

I cannot help but notice that over the past 15 years or so, Jon seems to be slowly returning to his musical roots.  Poets and Madmen was a partial attempt to revisit the more metal side of Savatage, and with JOP, he combined both old- and new-school Savatage with ample musical homages to some of his primary influences ; most notably the Beatles, Alice Cooper and Queen.   This album seems, in someways, to be the next step on that path, but unlike P&M or JOP (or even Doctor Butcher, for that matter), this is almost entirely a deviation from the classic Savatage sound.

It will be very interesting to hear this album in it's entirety.  I'm very curious to see how musically adventurous Jon is willing to become when he is not confined by the established musical identities of any of his existent bands.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »
New Jon Oliva interview on the classic metal show!  Lots of cool info on the music and the making of Raise The Curtain and an interesting little bit at the end about potential future projects. https://www.spreaker.com/user/cmsrocks/interview_with_jon_oliva

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #268 on: July 04, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »
So I bought the new Jon Oliva album a couple days ago, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.  The songs have a very old-school 70's prog rock vibe, which is somewhat of a continuation of the direction of JOP, but even moreso towards a retro sound.  The packaging is very nice; there is a little message in the booklet from Jon about the making of the record and some pics from the Avatar/early Savatage days.    I'll probably write up a full review on the record in the next couple of days and post it here, after it has sunk in a bit more and I can form a well educated opinion of it, but after listening to it a couple times, I can safely say that I like what I hear, and for anyone who likes JOP, especially the last couple records, this new album is must buy!   :metal

Also, there's a new interview with Jon (in Dutch, but you can use google translate) in which he talks quite a bit about the new album, as well as the upcoming TSO album Romanov, which he describes as being a mix of Dead Winter Dead and The Wake Of Magellan, and should be out sometime in 2014.  Really looking forward to that one!   :metal  https://www.zwaremetalen.com/interview/26700/Interview-met-Jon-Oliva.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:30:04 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #269 on: July 04, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
:lol I was actually about to bump up this thread, TDM! :metal I've owned my copy of Hall of the Mountain King for about a year now, and while I had checked out Gutter Ballet and Edge of Thorns not long after that, I somehow never got around to picking up any of their other albums! :omg:

Been on a Savatage binge for the past day or two now and along with relistening to all of the 'Tage albums I'd heard before, I've also listened to Streets: A Rock Opera, Dead Winter Dead, The Wake of Magellan and Poets & Madmen for the first time. I'm currently in the middle of listening to Handful of Rain and enjoying it a lot so far.

Considering I'm on a tight budget, I'm debating on which 'Tage album I want to pick up next: Dead Winter Dead, Handful of Rain or Poets & Madmen. I might scratch out HoR within the hour though, if I end up not liking the rest of the album, but I think it'll probably still be there. I'm really liking that one so far. Anyways, from those three options, which you guys recommend I pick up first? I'd prefer to get an album with Zak on vocals first, since I currently only have HotMK, but I really liked P&MM a lot too.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #270 on: July 04, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »
I'd recommend Poets And Madmen.

'Course, it's the only one I have, so I might be somewhat biased there. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 04, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »
I have all of their albums, but I also have a best of called "From the Gutter to the Stage".  Extremely hard to find, but its out there.  One of the best "best ofs" I've heard.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #272 on: July 04, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
despite it not entirely being done by all of Savatage, I still feel Handful of Rain is their masterpiece. I enjoy all the Zak Stevens records, and some of the pre-Zak stuff, but Handful is by far the record I've listened to the most.

HOR is a very, very interesting record.  Jon and Paul basically wrote it as a way of working through the grief of Chris' death, and consequently it is probably the 'Tage's most personal and emotional album.  There is a very strong blues, and in a few places almost western, influence on that record, but it still manages to run the gamut from almost the almost Metallica-esque Taunting Cobras to the epic Chance (which is in my opinion Sava's equivalent of Bohemian Rhapsody).  It's definitely not an easy album to get into, and you have to listen to it multiple times to fully "get" it, but once you do, you keep a very special place in your heart for it.

I realize that this post is over two years old, but I find it a bit ironic. :lol

I'm in the process of finishing up listening to Handful of Rain for the first time, and I think it's probably my favorite 'Tage album that I've heard so far. :tup :metal I'm just floored by how great of an album it is. :hefdaddy I'll listen to Dead Winter Dead again in a bit to be sure, since I want to get an album with Zak on vocals, but HoR is pretty damn amazing. :metal

Also have to say that Zak's performance on HoR is absolutely breathtaking. Dude absolutely killed it on that album. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: July 04, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
Savatage have no weak albums.  The only one that would come close to weak would obviously be Fight for the Rock.

Been spinning the new CIIC lately in the car, it's fantastic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: July 04, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »
Savatage have no weak albums.  The only one that would come close to weak would obviously be Fight for the Rock.

Fight for the Rock is solid, but yeah it's their weakest release for sure. The cover on that album isn't very good. As for CIIC, I would place their latest as my second favorite behind B of T

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #275 on: July 04, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »

Indeed, and that's a rare feat for any band to accomplish. The only other two metal bands that immediately come to mind that I feel did the same were Fates Warning and Death. :metal

What's everyone's favorite Savatage album?
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: July 04, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »
My fav album has changed so many times.  It usually goes between Gutter Ballet, Streets, Edge of Thorns and Pets and Madmen.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: July 04, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
My fav album has changed so many times.  It usually goes between Gutter Ballet, Streets, Edge of Thorns and Pets and Madmen.

Don't forget Hall of the Mountain King, Handful of Rain, Dead Winter Dead, Power of the Night and Wake of Magellan

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »

:metal

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #279 on: July 04, 2013, 09:13:01 PM »

Considering I'm on a tight budget, I'm debating on which 'Tage album I want to pick up next: Dead Winter Dead, Handful of Rain or Poets & Madmen. I might scratch out HoR within the hour though, if I end up not liking the rest of the album, but I think it'll probably still be there. I'm really liking that one so far. Anyways, from those three options, which you guys recommend I pick up first? I'd prefer to get an album with Zak on vocals first, since I currently only have HotMK, but I really liked P&MM a lot too.

Definitely Dead Winter Dead, IMO.  I have a very difficult time deciding between that album and Streets for which is my favourite 'Tage record.  Recently, I've been leaning more towards DWD, as I've been more in the mood for the more symphonic/proggy side of Savatage.  Furthermore, if you like Trans-Siberian Orchestra at all, DWD is mandatory, as it was on that record where Savatage really became TSO for the first time.

All that being said though:

This is completely true     ;)