Author Topic: This is it... haircut day.  (Read 26527 times)

Offline VFS

• (otherwise known as JustJen)
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Do you think it was an inside job?
This is it... haircut day.
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
I am so nervous. My stomach is even a bit sick... this is ridiculous :lol So, maybe talking about this will help calm me down...

I know it's silly, I"m a grown woman. I've had haircuts before. I shouldn't be panicking right now. But see, that's the problem.... let me go back to age 12, sixth grade, the year we ruled the school before going off to Junior High to start all over again at the bottom of the food chain...

I had hair to my waist, long and straight and thick and blonde, just turning darker. My mother took me to her hair dresser and the woman sat me in the chair and as I looked around and noticed that every woman there had the same helmet of toilet paper roll sized curls on their head, whether age 25 or 85, I wish I had started to get scared. But I didn't... I had the blind optimism of a 12 year old girl who was sure she'd be starting junior high in a few months with long curly messy blonde hair that looked just like Sally Struthers once she spun off her show, "Gloria", from "All in the Family".

What I wanted:

Instead her hairdresser recreated that detestable helmet-curl look that every woman there had, for the first time on a 12 year old. As it turned out, two-inch-long fat curls not only looked disgusting on me, making me look like one more boy in the family instead of the princess I had envisioned, they also were all that was left of my long blonde hair that was turning dark - and they were nothing but dark. "Hair-colored hair" I've been calling it ever since.

What I got:

Since then I've been growing it back out, admittedly cutting it and coloring it and perming it at times over the past 24 years since that day, but mostly keeping true to my dream of having it to my waist again someday and then getting the haircut right.

Well, my hair is to my waist and I'm starting to get grey hairs here and there and it is a mess of shapeless fluff that needs to be dealt with now. So, I called this morning and made an appointment and a fancy salon here in the area that I've never been to before, and warned them that my hair is to my waist and I need it to be cut, styled, and tamed.

Wish me luck, and feel free to suggest any hairstyles you particularly like... I'm scared right now and leaving in 45 minutes and won't be back for several hours, and when I return I will probably be several pounds lighter.

I'm not giving my hair to Locks of Love though, and I know they'll try to get me to.. they always do. And I always feel guilty but I am not cutting a foot from my hair! Just a few inches of length and a ton of volume... I hope... *fingers crossed*

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: This is it... haircut day.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:44:01 AM »
Don't let them steal an inch more of your hair than you want them to. Your hair is so nice. Don't let them change it too much.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:49:52 AM »
The best thing you could have done was go to a respectable salon (not just a 'Hair Cuttery' type place).  Before you sit down in the chair, talk with your stylist and tell them exactly what you want.  Let them give you recommendations based on what you tell them.

You will be fine.   :)
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Silent Voice

• DT.net Member
  • Evil Scotsman
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »
Good luck! I'm sure it'll turn out awesome :D

I know the feeling, a little bit. When I was 15 I had longish hair, and when it all came off I thought it looked stupid for ages. Now it's back though ... it's not coming off again until I graduate and need to look smarter to get a real job :p
Living twice at once you learn, you're safe from pain in the dream domain ... a soul set free to fly

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »
Don't let them steal an inch more of your hair than you want them to. Your hair is so nice. Don't let them change it too much.

This. I still fantasize about your long locks being wrapped around a bedpost while....................nevermind.    :biggrin: Good luck!

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:03:52 AM »
The best thing you could have done was go to a respectable salon (not just a 'Hair Cuttery' type place).  Before you sit down in the chair, talk with your stylist and tell them exactly what you want.  Let them give you recommendations based on what you tell them.

You will be fine.   :)

Best advice.

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:04:07 AM »

Aw, you're so sweet. I won't let them take more than I want them to, the problem is they're always so convincing. I always find myself saying "that sounds fine" or "take off what you think is unhealthy" and that's where i get in trouble. *eek*

You will be fine.   :)

Thanks :) I hope I did the right thing in telling them up front on the phone that my hair is to my waist and its' been years since a real cut. I even said I thought I'd probably require extra time to just have a consultation about what would work best for me. The lady on the phone sounded a bit hurried but nice... I just hope that they don't think I'm insane (or too much trouble) already! :lol

Good luck! I'm sure it'll turn out awesome :D

I know the feeling, a little bit. When I was 15 I had longish hair, and when it all came off I thought it looked stupid for ages. Now it's back though ... it's not coming off again until I graduate and need to look smarter to get a real job :p

heh, thanks for the vote of confidence! And, I agree - just let it grow. :hat

This. I still fantasize about your long locks being wrapped around a bedpost while....................nevermind.    :biggrin: Good luck!

:lol :D Thanks!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »
What is that word for the short front ones you'd rather I use...?....are you getting those?

I wish I'd never cut my hair.
I had Phil Anselmo hair...Cowboys from Hell.

(resists urge to make "is this about the hair on yer head? comment)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:12 AM »
ok, i scheduled the haircut appointment.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »
My wife is always so nervous about haircuts too. She always waits a couple months longer than she should. And her hair has way less history (and length) than yours. It must just be a woman thing.

Good luck to you! Don't let them talk you into anything you don't want.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
What I got:

Hot.

You should get that haircut again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
Before/after pics or it never occurred!

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »
What I got:

Hot.

You should get that haircut again.

:lol

thanks everyone :)

It went pretty well I think.

Let me choose one of these crappy cam screencaps I grabbed a few minute ago and upload it and then find a suitable before pic and I'll post 'em.

(I now have a date with my hairdresser for five weeks from now... she's cute too :eyebrows: )

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »
hm been trying to post a picture for ages now but it won't show on preview and i don't know why.  >:(

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 03:29:15 PM »
Pics.  Nao.

But I have that same anxiety about haircuts ever since 2 years ago when that one person decided to cut my hair on a part.  Luckily it was finally at a point where it looked good for my wedding.  I haven't cut it since then though.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
Pics.  Nao.

But I have that same anxiety about haircuts ever since 2 years ago when that one person decided to cut my hair on a part.  Luckily it was finally at a point where it looked good for my wedding.  I haven't cut it since then though.

I used to hate getting haircuts because of a bad experience I had maybe 7 years ago, but lately I've gotten over it because I HAVE to get my hair cut for my school about every three months. However, I'm graduating in 2 weeks, so I may be getting my last hair cut for a few years, until my hair gets too long.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »
Every 3 months?!

My hair grows really thickly so I have to get it cut about every month/month and a half.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 04:22:30 PM »
PIIIICS!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 04:46:08 PM »
Every 3 months?!

My hair grows really thickly so I have to get it cut about every month/month and a half.

Well once my hair gets on the collar or in my eyes I usually get yelled at. One day I got sent home from school just out of the blue for my hair. Usually in a normal school year I have to get my hair cut 3 times. The last time I got it cut was February. I may or may not have to get another one before May 27 (depends if they decide to be dicks or not)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
What kind of school do you go to?! It sounds kind of strange/strict.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »

Its a catholic school. Strange and strict indeed.  ;)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 05:10:24 PM »

as a 12 year veteran of catholic schooling, I offer my condolences :P
Photobucket sucks.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »

Ouch.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 05:11:31 PM »
I really should get my hair trimmed, it's all over the place.

Most recent pic:

I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »
keep it, you look rad :metal

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »
I had just recently gotten a haircut a few weeks ago and the lady who cut my hair fucked up like usual, and cut off just enough for it to seem too short.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »
PIIIICS!
this.

Come on don't leave us in the dark like this Jen!
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »
PIIIICS!
this.

Come on don't leave us in the dark like this Jen!
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline ShadowGirl

• The Sickest Mind
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »
Good luck, Jen! 

I have been pondering the thought of cutting my hair.  But I have no clue as to what I want, so for now it will stay this long, frizzy, shapeless rats nest on my head. 

Donna
Visit the Official Demians forum at: www.demians-empire.com

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 03:45:24 AM »
lemme try this again...

Before:

After:

(Splent, this time do not cut it! Looks great that length)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 05:06:04 AM »
I love it, it looks great! It might even be better now than it was before! :)

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 05:11:45 AM »
:D thanks!

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 05:24:10 AM »
Wow! That looks awesome. (It looked awesome before as well, but that was because of it's lenght :P )
I wish my hair wasn't so flat... Yours look bouncy and airy and wonderful. Congrats! Are you pleased?

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 05:26:55 AM »
thanks :D I am pleased actually. She only cut off about four inches of the actual length, but lightened it up around my face a TON. Now the natural curl is much more noticeable... it's just so strange to not have bangs/fringe anymore. I wanted half bangs for awhile now, ever since moonflower got her haircut, so i'm glad that this girl agreed with me that it would be a good way to work wiht hte natural part i have in front. So far i'm glad I did it :)

And it weighs so much less!!

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »
soooooooo...
update.

I had a shower and out of habit put mousse in my hair and scrunched it while it was wet and then remembered to part it all the way to the bangs and try to push it to the sides.

I do not look like yesterday.

I think I'm going to have to get the diffuser and use curl enhancer instead of mousse like she did, and twirl sections of hair around my fingertips instead of scrunching (like she did), then flat iron (another thing I don't own) the front to get it to lay flat (like she did).

Thing is, the whole time I was growing up this was the sort of thing I did to prepare for school, and my mom never left her room without having her "face" on and hair done and earrings in and so on, at least not that I remember. But she was asking if I wanted something quick and easy, and I told her no way! My kids are all in school fulltime now, I don't care if it takes an hour, I'll do it. Just make me look good.

So, uh. I asked for it. I guess to look natural and unfussed you have to spend time and money :lol

Ahhh, now I remember what it is to be a girl. I didn't miss it for the past 16 years that I've had kids to worry about getting to school age and beyond, but now I'm gonna get back to being a girl. :hat

Going back for manicure, pedicure, parrafin wax for hands and feet, and perhaps microdermabrasion in a couple of weeks. :hat

PS - hey neon, what do you know about hydratherapy? Sounds like a crock to me. Costs about as much as microdermabrasion, and I figure a lycolic peel would be pretty easy on my skin, 1-24 hours downtime from redness at the most, and would probably show a difference on my little brown spots and big pores even after just one time, wouldnt' it? :lol I don't know shit about this...