Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 376151 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1785 on: June 29, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »
What comment would that be?  I don't read/watch a lot of interviews.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1786 on: June 29, 2017, 08:49:31 AM »
I'm curious too, what did Arjen say?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1787 on: June 29, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »
See facebook, here are the quotes I was referring to:

I'm sure John will shine, Lindsey, thanks! And I'm sure you can meet Russell in his own projects. Not with me anymore though, sorry.

Then upon the question if something went wrong, he said the following:
Not really, Rosie, don't worry! I'm just really glad that I'm in the luxurious position now where I can be more picky about the singers I choose to work with. So all is good!

For the record, I don't want to start any gossip or to imply there is any bad blood or anything, but my take is that chances aren't too big we will hear Russel anytime soon in regards to Arjen's music.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1788 on: June 29, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
Yeah, it's not that either he wants to kill Russell, or he shrugs it off "Whatever, bro, I'll find someone else". There are different shades between being super pissed and being absolutely cool with it, so he probably think "Well, I'll remember out of the many singers who want or are willing to work with me, those who prove themselves reliable".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1789 on: June 29, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
Considering Arjen does 1 live thing per year (at best), the comment of Russell not being seen with him "anymore" could specifically be referring to the Universe show.  And the second quote doesn't necessarily need to be interpreted as a direct connection to Russell... as was mentioned in The Source DVDs, he does have the luxury of choosing from some Tier 1 names nowadays - whereas in the early years, he (to some degree) had to take what he could get.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1790 on: June 29, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »
Considering Arjen does 1 live thing per year (at best), the comment of Russell not being seen with him "anymore" could specifically be referring to the Universe show.  And the second quote doesn't necessarily need to be interpreted as a direct connection to Russell... as was mentioned in The Source DVDs, he does have the luxury of choosing from some Tier 1 names nowadays - whereas in the early years, he (to some degree) had to take what he could get.

I disagree, not in the context of the conversation, the first quote was a direct reply to a fan saying:

Perhaps we can meet another time Russ

To which the "not with me anymore though, sorry" quote followed. And then another fan asked if something was wrong upon that, after which the second quote followed. The subject of the conversation is clearly Russel Allen in my opinion. And apparently Arjen doesn't know the exact reason of the cancellation either (see other replies). Feel free to scroll trough the comments on facebook, but my take is the same as MirrorMask.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:31:18 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1791 on: June 29, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »
Highly disappointing. If it's TSO related that's one thing, but if AMob is touring around then... I will face palm myself into a coma.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1792 on: June 29, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
I actually remember on the Star One dvd or maybe it was on some other interview can't remember, that Arjen mentions somewhere that a certain persons ego was a bit in the way during the project. I can't remember if that was a joke or not but either way I always assumed he refered to Damian  :lol but now it makes me wonder.  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1793 on: June 29, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »
Russell was great on Arjen's music.  But Arjen is right, he doesn't "need" him by any stretch of the imagination.  That said, if Russell committed to shows and then backed out, that sucks for any fans that wanted to see him.  He was personally one of my favorite singers on The Source (him and Simone were my fav two).

For now, I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt, it's gotten to the point where fake headlines and quotes taken out of context make me take everything with a grain of salt.  I may sound bitter about Russell here, but if and when its announced he's the singer for the new MP band I'm sure I'll forget all about this.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1794 on: July 16, 2017, 03:46:47 AM »
A reminder/notice to Ayreon fans out here, if you want to hear Arjen's music with an orchestra (I do), then vote for him on this site:

https://www.mo.nl/met/

It's really easy for non-Dutch people as well, just click "stem" (which means "vote") and put you first name into "naam" and enter your email address. Then simply click the "Ja, ik ga akkoord met...." (this is the usual terms of service part) part and click "stem". You will receive a mail in which you'll have to click "confirm" to, well, confirm your vote.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #1795 on: July 16, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »
i wonder if there's a chance of Russel Allen showing up at the Ayreon shows now his band is (probably) done touring?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1796 on: July 16, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »
i wonder if there's a chance of Russel Allen showing up at the Ayreon shows now his band is (probably) done touring?

I honestly doubt it. And Arjen already has a replacement.

Furthermore, on Russel's side I figure they have a lot of work and planning to do to decide what needs to happen to get Adrenaline Mob going again.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: July 16, 2017, 08:53:31 AM »

Little too soon?  FFS, the guy is still in the hospital, and grieving a (2nd) dead band-mate.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1798 on: July 16, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »

Little too soon?  FFS, the guy is still in the hospital, and grieving a (2nd) dead band-mate.

Yeah, that's like the most insensitive thing you can say. "Oh, AMob is done with a dead bass player, now you can sing for Ayreon". What the fuck.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1799 on: July 16, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »

Yeah, you are right about that. As for my reply to that post, I did not intend to be insensitive, because Russel Allen, Amob, and their friends and family are going through living hell right now.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1800 on: July 17, 2017, 07:38:14 AM »
I'm sorry, what happened to Adrenaline Mob is an absolute tragedy, but I know that tons of people feel like Allen was a wasted talent in that band. I know it's soon, but if this tragedy would result in Allen being more involved with other projects it would be an almost dictionary definition of a silver lining.

Cannot stress enough that I am not happy that this happened, but I think we should be cutting Schurf some slack here.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1801 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:23 AM »
I'm sorry, what happened to Adrenaline Mob is an absolute tragedy, but I know that tons of people feel like Allen was a wasted talent in that band. I know it's soon, but if this tragedy would result in Allen being more involved with other projects it would be an almost dictionary definition of a silver lining.

Cannot stress enough that I am not happy that this happened, but I think we should be cutting Schurf some slack here.

I'm honestly aghast Nick.  Someone's death (in this manner) is a "silver lining"?  The lack of empathy, and what seems to be selfishness (ie, how you can "benefit" from Dave's death) in such a comment less than a week after this tragedy is shocking.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1802 on: July 17, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »

I'm honestly aghast Nick.  Someone's death (in this manner) is a "silver lining"?  The lack of empathy, and what seems to be selfishness (ie, how you can "benefit" from Dave's death) in such a comment less than a week after this tragedy is shocking.

The death is absolutely NOT the silver lining. That would be the very black cloud. I will not deny the obvious selfishness, but there is no lack of empathy. I feel terrible for Dave, for his family, for the band, for their families, and everyone else involved and connected. The silver lining is that something that we see as good could come from this tragedy. It does not make me at all happy about the tragedy, but that is in a point in time which we now have no control over.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #1803 on: July 17, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »
that's more what i meant. Russel made a name for himself doing very different things than the band he decided to put his energy fully towards (AM) Now he says he feels being an actor doing those types of music, but from a fan perspective it's something he does really well, and considering all the talent in AM, it's not where his fanbase lies.
So yeah, he cancelled Ayreon so he could finish the AM tour, which likely isn't happening now. So here's hoping it might be an opportunity for him to give other projects his attention again?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1804 on: July 17, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »
The fact is that when tragedies happens it usually results in stronger bonds as a band so I wouldn't be surprised to see even more of A Mob in the future.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1805 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:09 AM »
The fact is that when tragedies happens it usually results in stronger bonds as a band so I wouldn't be surprised to see even more of A Mob in the future.

Also a very likely possibility.

And frankly, I know there has already been blowback to this type of thinking, but frankly the next tour will likely see more attendance than it otherwise would thanks to the news coverage and metal fans simply turning up to be supportive even if they weren't fans of the band. Like it or not that would be another silver lining.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1806 on: July 31, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »
I was listening to Star of Sirrah and the end keyboard reminds me of the "No more teachers..." part of Alice Coopers "Schools Out".

If intentional that's a nice nod.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1807 on: July 31, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »
Pictures have been posted from the first rehearsals with vocals added.

The hype is real.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1808 on: August 31, 2017, 10:32:59 AM »
Alright, a nice run down of what to expect, most important of which is a 2.5 hour show.

For the ultimate experience:

This is our planning for the Ultimate Ayreon Universe Experience:
11:00                Opening 013 Box Office
12:00                Start Ultimate Ayreon Universe Experience with collection goodie bag, exclusive merch pre-sale, dress rehearsal and Meet & Greet
17:30                 End Ultimate Ayreon Universe Experience

And for the normal shows.

This is our planning for the shows on September 15:
18:00h               Early entry VIP + collection goodie bag at entrance 013
18:00h - 19:00h Go get yourself some nice merch and find the best spot inside the Main Hall
19:00h               Doors open for all visitors
20:30h               Start show
23:00h               Expected end show

How nice would it be to see all shows having this information so readily available?

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #1809 on: September 01, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
Can anyone who was at the try-out gig tonight tell us about the show?

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1810 on: September 02, 2017, 02:58:48 AM »
Oops wrong thread, please delete it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:05:52 AM by the keyboard wizard »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1811 on: September 02, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
Hi guys, I finally got around to buying The Gentle Storm. Its great, I prefer the gentle disc overall. Some songs sound better in the storm context.

I did something fun with it as well. I decided to splice both versions of The Storm in Audacity. I do say it sounds amazing. Theirs things in both versions that when blended together become one awesome track. I suggest to try it. Its not that hard to sync. Although it'll probably be a bit tougher for some tracks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1812 on: September 10, 2017, 11:33:19 AM »
Alright, I know we have a FB chat going for this, but just in case we missed anyone, here are the details for the DTF and extended friends Ayreon meetup:

Saturday, September 16, 3:00pm we will meet at the venue. From there we will wander together to a place to actually sit down and have a few hours prior to the show. Please let us know if you'd like to join.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1813 on: September 10, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »
Yup, I'll be there! Looking forward to meet all the fellow DTFers, and if you're debating if you should go or not, you should definitely go.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #1814 on: September 10, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
too bad, i'm seeing the first show on friday. Have fun!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1815 on: September 11, 2017, 04:59:55 AM »
Yeah, I'll be there on Friday as well, but I guess I'll see plenty of familiar faces.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online goo-goo

« Reply #1816 on: September 15, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »
Any DTFers that were at the show?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1817 on: September 15, 2017, 05:50:21 PM »
Yes, and it was amazing! This is one hell of an impressive production (the screen, lights, pyro etc.). And a fantastic trip through the Ayreon discography. My only qualms are that the sound was a tad too loud at my spot, other than that a sublime show with each artist in top shape. Some surprising renditions of songs as well due to other vocalists than usual taking the mic.

Also, Russel's replacement did great and brought a lot of energy to the stage. So while I do miss Russel, this guy did a great job at filling that gap.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1818 on: September 15, 2017, 06:46:35 PM »
I am super tired, so I apologize if this question has long been answered, but was this show professionally recorded (or will be or whatever)?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #1819 on: September 15, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »
yes, Arjen already confirmed a DVD/Bluray on FB. You should check ayreon's page, Arjen comments a lot and answers pretty much every question you ask him in PM.