Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 376187 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1750 on: May 22, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »
So I went to check the mail. Lo and behold bam it finally arrived. It is a pretty big order (with the shirt, hoodie, and vinyl). Glad it's here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1751 on: May 22, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »
'twas a holiday here today.  Hoping for it tomorrow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1752 on: May 22, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »
Yeah, I thought that was weird as well. You can easily recognize them when they are playing but still. And the vocalists are listed very detailed, so why not the guest musicians

Gilbert plays on Star of Sirrah and Guthrie on Planet Y. Coenen and Mark Kelly play on The Dream Dissolves. And while I really like all those guest solos they go on a bit too long for me. If they were shorter and more condensed I'm sure they were even better.

Cool mate, thanks, glad it wasn't just me.  Surprised Gilbert and Guthrie only do a solo each.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1753 on: May 22, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »
Decided to pick a copy of this up on the weekend.  Only heard a couple of songs but sounds promising.  Not sure what the go was with past albums, I'll have to check, but I find it weird in the booklet that it doesn't list solo credits.  With the likes of Gilbert and Guthrie in there, you'd think it would state where and what songs they play leads on.  I'm sure it will be easy enough to figure out, but I just found that odd.
Glad i'm not the only one! Thought it was weird he left that out in the Earbook.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1754 on: May 22, 2017, 04:26:01 PM »
So, finally got this in today. Can't say the wait was fully justified, but the 5.1 mix is currently pacifying me a bit.

Did an unboxing vid for anyone who wants a better look at the mega bundle: https://youtu.be/yYxihMnJehQ

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: May 22, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »
Decided to pick a copy of this up on the weekend.  Only heard a couple of songs but sounds promising.  Not sure what the go was with past albums, I'll have to check, but I find it weird in the booklet that it doesn't list solo credits.  With the likes of Gilbert and Guthrie in there, you'd think it would state where and what songs they play leads on.  I'm sure it will be easy enough to figure out, but I just found that odd.
Glad i'm not the only one! Thought it was weird he left that out in the Earbook.

I spent like 5 minutes going backwards and forwards through the book convinced that I missed them.   :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1756 on: May 23, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
The booklet is quite elaborate and Arjen even thanks his brother finally, but there was no place to mention who plays solo on what song? So anyway, liking this more and more.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1757 on: May 23, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »
Received mine in the mail yesterday, almost forgetting I had it even coming in!  :lol

FYI, I'm on the Eastern Shore of MD (the peninsula, for the uninitiated), so the East Coast is getting theirs, hopefully.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: May 25, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
Finally listening to this right now! Currently on Everybody Dies and I've got to say, the three opening songs are so strong on this album. Hopefully this will also be the case for the rest of the record.

edit: finished my first listen. Won't go into the detailed thoughts (I'll leave them for The Source writeup which will come in a few weeks in Arjen's Discography thread), but I felt this album was pretty damn good. Not on the level of THE, TTOE or TDS for me, but probably on the level of 01011001. I thought the first CD was much better than the second.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:33:10 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1759 on: May 25, 2017, 12:39:20 PM »
Finally listening to this right now! Currently on Everybody Dies and I've got to say, the three opening songs are so strong on this album. Hopefully this will also be the case for the rest of the record.

edit: finished my first listen. Won't go into the detailed thoughts (I'll leave them for The Source writeup which will come in a few weeks in Arjen's Discography thread), but I felt this album was pretty damn good. Not on the level of THE, TTOE or TDS for me, but probably on the level of 01011001. I thought the first CD was much better than the second.

As I said awhile back, it would be hard for the rest of the album to live up to that initial trio.

In general I agree that the first disc is better than the second, and that the first half of the first disc is better than the latter half.

Still a great work overall, and the only albums I would say this definitively does not top is ItEC and THE. The album remains in a fog for third place among TFE and TToE for me.

The 5.1 mix has been what I expected, certainly improving on the regular album, but not even in the same galaxy as Steven Wilson in that department.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: May 25, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Well, being a sucker for power metal, I loved Run! Apocalypse! Run!, probably the second best song after the opener so far for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1761 on: May 25, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
Am I the only one who didn't care much for TTOE?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: May 25, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »
 >:(   Still don't have mine.

Well, being a sucker for power metal, I loved Run! Apocalypse! Run!, probably the second best song after the opener so far for me.

I'm there with ya buddy.

Am I the only one who didn't care much for TTOE?

Nope.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1763 on: May 25, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
Deathcry of a race is the best song on the album by far imo.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1764 on: May 25, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »
First disc is definitely better than the second but All That Was is the weakest track on the album even including all the short/forgettable ones right near the end

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1765 on: May 26, 2017, 02:25:54 AM »
Nah, All that Was is in line with Ayreon's cute little ballads, and James' part is great.

The Dream Dissolves is one of the standout tracks for me... the first half with Simone and Floor is mesmerizing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: May 26, 2017, 06:58:23 AM »
Got a shipping notice this morning. I was kinda hoping it was just gonna show up today. Now it would seem I'm waiting unti next week for the book/5.1

RAAAAAAAAAGE!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1767 on: May 26, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
Hahaha...I just got the mascot email saying my order has shipped.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1768 on: May 26, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
Received mine in the mail yesterday, almost forgetting I had it even coming in!  :lol

FYI, I'm on the Eastern Shore of MD (the peninsula, for the uninitiated), so the East Coast is getting theirs, hopefully.

-Marc.

Whew... I *just* got my Shipment Confirmation email from Mascot earlier this morning (4am EST)! I am SOOOOO glad they sent that email because I wasn't sure it was shipped when I got it in the mail four days ago.
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1769 on: May 26, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »
Yeah, I thought that was weird as well. You can easily recognize them when they are playing but still. And the vocalists are listed very detailed, so why not the guest musicians

Gilbert plays on Star of Sirrah and Guthrie on Planet Y. Coenen and Mark Kelly play on The Dream Dissolves. And while I really like all those guest solos they go on a bit too long for me. If they were shorter and more condensed I'm sure they were even better.

I feel the exact opposite regarding the guitar solos.  I wouldn't make them shorter at all, and they're some of my favorite parts of the album.  The solo in The Dream Dissolves is the best new solo I've heard in years.  The Guthrie one is my least fav of the 3, that one almost feels out of place or something.  Just my own feeling, others may feel like it fits right in.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: May 26, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
The Guthrie solo left me wanting more.  Not his fault, a real wasted opportunity there.  Gilberts was great though.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1771 on: May 31, 2017, 03:31:27 AM »
So the try-out show is announced, with a small part of the (lesser known) singer lineup and some additional guests. I loved the Human Equation Try-out, so maybe I'll go. But then again, I am already seeing the real deal twice. So I'll probably sit this one out.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1772 on: May 31, 2017, 03:43:14 AM »
Yeah, one of the male singers is an aquaintance of mine. Is it weird to feel a little bummed out that I've got a ticket for the real deal and this is announced now?

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1773 on: May 31, 2017, 03:44:10 AM »
I'm finding myself listening more and more to The Source. It's a great album, there are no bad songs, only songs not as good as the rest, but there's no "Why are these 20 minutes here to drag the album down" kind of feeling. Another great work from Arjen  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1774 on: May 31, 2017, 05:12:25 AM »
Yeah, the Source is awesome. Disc two has further grown on me. Disc one is set to be one of my favourite discs of Arjen alltogether, disc 2 is good, but doesn't feel balanced and I think the order of the tracks (musically) kind of breaks the flow here and there. But I do like every track of the album.

Yeah, one of the male singers is an aquaintance of mine. Is it weird to feel a little bummed out that I've got a ticket for the real deal and this is announced now?

Well, don't feel bad. The real deal will be a much bigger show :) I assume the try-out is in the smaller hall of 013. But I guess it would be cool to see someone you know perform. Then again, the show will also be more intimate. I really loved the try-out of Equation Theater, so I imagine this one will be ace too, and I love hearing Irene, Marcela, and Robert.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1775 on: May 31, 2017, 05:16:06 AM »
Yeah, everything on Disc 1 is gold, Disc 2 still has to conquer me with Aquatic Race, Bay of Dreams and The Source will Flow.

Standout of Disc 2 is The Dream Dissolves, epic and dreamy track with great solos, lot of atmosphere, and 4 singers out of 4 shining.

Also the outro is nice for what it is, it's so menacing, has a great buildup and of course the throwback (or throw-forward?) to Age of the Machines is a brilliant way to end up the album, a way more satisfying "nugget" than the one that closes The Human Equation.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1776 on: May 31, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »

Yeah, it's not like I'd be able to do both anyway, but this is just kinda odd to pop up now. My biggest gripe is this will make it infinitely harder to avoid spoilers the day of the first proper show.

Is anyone planning to get the VIP experience for the 15th that might consider getting it for me as well if I send you the funds? Would like to avoid getting up at 4am to make a purchase again.

Edit: Just got back to a computer so I can look at this properly. If the "dress rehearsal" on the 15th sees them doing a full show that would be an incredibly cool experience. Seeing that with just 100 people would just be insane. That said I'm kinda unnerved by how tactfully money has been drained from me on this cycle. Ultimate Fan Bundle of The Source, two tickets already bought, one of which is VIP, and now this ultimate fan show possibility. It scares me that a price has not been listed for it.

I'd like to partner with someone else who wants to do that show, so we can both be online and try to get tickets. I feel like the odds on it, given only 100 are being sold, probably isn't that great and would like to increase my chances.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:55:21 AM by Nick »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1777 on: May 31, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »
I think the Dress rehearsal will be the final and full rehearsal before the public shows, with all the bells and whistles. At least, that is what the term dress rehearsal usually applies to.

As much as I love Ayreon, I am already seeing the show twice and have seen the previous show as well, as well as that try-out (and I have seen The Gentle Storm). I can maybe talk myself into seeing the 23 euro try-out, which is a steal (I like different vocalists). But for the full show I want to witness it together with my friends (day 1) and family (day 3) along with a crowd full of fans.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1778 on: June 03, 2017, 02:05:01 AM »
Ultimate Experience purchased. :hat

If anyone know someone who wants to go to this but can't get a ticket I'm now considering selling my Friday evening VIP ticket. As much as it would be nice to see this as many times as possible, it seems somewhat overkill to see the rehearsal in the afternoon with all the goodies and then the VIP experience and show Friday evening.

And, of course, it would help with the stupid insane charges I'm putting myself through for this.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1779 on: June 03, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
Apparently the b-team show on the 1st actually sold out in the first 10 minutes or so, which is cool to see.

I know it isn't cheap, but considering they sold 9,000 regular tickets in an hour of combined time I'm surprised the ultimate experience is yet to sell out.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1780 on: June 28, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
Russel Allen unfortunately doesn't participate in the Universe shows anymore. His replacement is John Cuijpers. Too bad, because Russel Allen is one of my favourites, but John seems to have a nice rock voice and I think he will fit fine into the shows. It will be awesome regardless, but I do think it is sad we won't be seeing the original Star One lineup. John sung the acoustic version of Sail Away from Avalon btw (which I love).

Reading some of the FB comments, Arjen doesn't seem to know why Russel cancelled, though Arjen stresses nothing is wrong.

Anyways, let's blame this one on fucking Adrenaline Mob as well  :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: June 28, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
Anyways, let's blame this one on fucking Adrenaline Mob as well  :P

Could be TSO rehearsals too?  But yeah, let's blame AMob

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1782 on: June 29, 2017, 01:01:21 AM »
Yeah they're playing it down a bit, but to me this is a pretty big disappointment. Allen was one of the biggest reasons (together with Damian Wilson) to buy a ticket for this. The shows will still be great musically, but it still bugs the hell out of me he's out. If I were Arjen I'd sue for breach of contract.   :yeahright
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: June 29, 2017, 04:33:59 AM »
Certainly puts a big dent in the Star One songs - having 3/4 would've been awesome, as I'm sure someone could've replicated the low-end/Swano parts.  Losing Allen's voice for those is a big blow - as well as Dawn of a Million Souls.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1784 on: June 29, 2017, 05:21:25 AM »
Had this been a Star One show specifically, it would've been a massive dissapointment for me, but as in it's current premise, it won't bother me too much. Aside from it being Ayreon, I will go for about half of the lineup just as much as mr Allen (Floor, Tommy, Hansi, Anneke, Damian, Marco, and some of the lesser known are fantastic as well). So many singers with a great stage presence that will still be there. But I can see it being a big dissapointment for some, given Russel Allen won the "who do you want to hear on the next Ayreon" contest last time. And it seems like Arjen will never work with Allen anymore in a live setting, given one of his comments. Hopefully not studio wise (another Star One would be cool), not sure what to think.