Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 380927 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: New Ayreon title revealed....
« Reply #350 on: March 28, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
From his FB feed ....

It’s been quiet in the Ayreon camp for the past couple of months, but Arjen Lucassen has broken his silence to reveal that the title of the eagerly anticipated forthcoming new album will be ‘The Theory Of Everything’, and that it will be a double album! Aiming for a tentative release at the end of this year!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #351 on: March 28, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
Wait, he doesn't use the same lyrics on every album?  Oh yeah, that's melodies and ideas... :p :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »
I really hope he decides to showcase only 9 or 10 singers again, instead of doing what he did with 01011001. I think Electric Castle had it best; you really couldn't listen to the full album without getting a really good feel for each vocalist and character. Not so for 01011001, which most characters just had a few lines or a chorus. Even THE kinda suffer from too many vocalists syndrom. Outside of the main characters and a very really distinct voices, a couple of those "emotions" just blend right together.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: March 28, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »
I really hope he decides to showcase only 9 or 10 singers again, instead of doing what he did with 01011001. I think Electric Castle had it best; you really couldn't listen to the full album without getting a really good feel for each vocalist and character. Not so for 01011001, which most characters just had a few lines or a chorus. Even THE kinda suffer from too many vocalists syndrom. Outside of the main characters and a very really distinct voices, a couple of those "emotions" just blend right together.

:iagree:

Although, with THE, there were about 8 or so core characters (Me, Wife, Love, Pride, Reason, Best Friend, Passion, Agony).  Some of the others (Rage, Father) only showed up for a song or even a couple of lines.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:51 AM »
So stoked
Want this now

Also re: different singers, 01011001's concept didn't really focus much on any characters at all so I never feel I need to distinguish them. That could be the point for all I know. I'm much happier seeing a lot of guest artists than just 2 or 3 though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »
A name is announced in March for an album expected to be out at the end of the year?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: March 28, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
A name is announced in March for an album expected to be out at the end of the year?
Well, a quick glance at DT side confirms that fans of these types of extremely popular progressive metal projects want any morsels they can get, asap.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: March 28, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
Well, a quick glance at DT side confirms that fans of these types of extremely popular progressive metal projects want any morsels they can get, asap.

:lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Lost in the New Real out now!)
« Reply #358 on: April 02, 2013, 03:34:00 AM »
Just some updates:

Lucassen says: “I’ve finished recording demos of the music, I’m now about half-way finished with the lyrics. It’s going to be a double album, so there is a lot to write.

“It’s extra challenging as well, because lyrically I’ve left the old Ayreon universe behind, and I have to create a new one from scratch. I’m really excited about the line-up and how everything is progressing so far.”

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #359 on: April 02, 2013, 04:14:13 AM »
Interesting with a brand new universe, the double album was kind of expected I guess :P
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #360 on: April 02, 2013, 05:36:23 AM »
Yea i'm really looking forward to what he comes up with. "The Theory Of Everything" is a pretty bold and broad concept so it will be interesting to see how he will tackle that.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: April 02, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
Are there two Ayreon threads?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: April 02, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »
I don't now, this has been here since 2009 atleast.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: April 02, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »
There was just a lengthy discussion about the name of the new album somewhere and it was well before october 2012, which is when the last post before this discussing was posted.

You can call me Sherlock Holmes  :justjen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: April 02, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »
Well we have this new one:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36364.0

and this:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=743.0

and that's about it but i would call this thread the official one.  :)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #365 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:39 AM »
Theory of OMGKANTWAIT/Awesome.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: April 02, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
and that's about it but i would call this thread the official one.  :)

Agreed ;)

Offline Syzzle

Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Theory of Everything in 2013)
« Reply #367 on: April 05, 2013, 01:05:09 AM »
I've just listened to The Human Equation 4 times on my 5th now. This has to be the greatest album I've heard in the past decade. I'm so disappointed that I've been missing out all these years.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #368 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:30 AM »
I've just listened to The Human Equation 4 times on my 5th now. This has to be the greatest album I've heard in the past decade. I'm so disappointed that I've been missing out all these years.
Yea it's an awesome album and probably my favourite.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: April 05, 2013, 02:21:56 AM »
I'd probably say that I'm a fan 87% because of 01 and 13% because of The Human Equation. I like none of his old stuff because it's way to sci-fi for me. Human equation has really interesting lyrical concept but not much more. 01 is my favorite and actually has a few songs I frequently listen to.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #370 on: April 05, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »
I think the problem is that in 01, the vocalists didn't really have characters. We were told they were different characters, and they had little symbols in the booklet, but you wouldn't have guessed.

Contrast with ItEC and THE, where the characters are writ large. The highlander sounds like a highlander. The barbarian is big, bolshy, thunderous. The astronaut is cool, smart, detached. Likewise, Irene Jansen's voice screams with passion. Reason is theatrical, confident, a leader. Fear is dolorous, sad, a drone that builds to a scream. Arjen did that brilliantly on ItEC and THE, and not at all on 01011001. I think Hansi's character was basically a scientist? I think I read that somewhere. Makes sense, with River of Time. Great vocalist, one of my favourites, singing some great melodies, but he becomes one of many.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #371 on: April 05, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
01 did have characters, they showed their feelings since t he giant machines blocked out their sun till the end. Anneke is loving hence the heart symbol...things like that give the forevers their identity...its to distinct themselves as another race that used symbols as their name.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #372 on: April 06, 2013, 06:52:56 PM »
01011001 is Ayreon's best album.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2013, 09:47:44 PM »
I still haven't warmed up to 01011001. I should listen to it again to see if it's grown on me yet.

My favourite is probably Into The Electric Castle. Especially that first disc.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #374 on: April 07, 2013, 12:02:21 AM »
Into the Electric Castle rules. It has a really good cast of singers. And some sick instrumental sections, especially Amazing Flight's.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #375 on: April 07, 2013, 03:48:54 AM »
Granted, I've only heard ITTEC, THE and 01 but the electric castle is easily my favorite, even if I love THE to death as well.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: April 07, 2013, 03:57:57 AM »

Correct! Human Equation is close for me too though

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: April 07, 2013, 04:46:32 AM »

Correct! Human Equation is close for me too though

Both of you... take it to the controversial opinions thread!  :lol  Musically, it's fantastic; but lyrically there are too many cringe-worthy moments.  I say it's #4 or 5.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #378 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
The Human Equation
Into The Electric Castle
The Universal Migrator (Parts 1 and 2)
The Final Experiment
Actual Fantasy

And if I could throw in Lost In The New Real (since it's in the same Universe as the Ayreon albums), I'd put it just above 01011001.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:11:06 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: April 07, 2013, 08:03:18 AM »
The Human Equation
Into The Electric Castle
The Universal Migrator (Parts 1 and 2)
The Final Experiment
Actual Fantasy

-Marc.

I'm right there with ya Marc.  Although, I'd probably wedge 1010 in between UM part 2 and UM part 1

Offline robwebster

« Reply #380 on: April 07, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
01 did have characters, they showed their feelings since t he giant machines blocked out their sun till the end. Anneke is loving hence the heart symbol...things like that give the forevers their identity...its to distinct themselves as another race that used symbols as their name.
I didn't say they weren't written with characters - I even acknowledged that I'd heard Hansi was the sciencey one. I'm saying I don't think they're conveyed successfully - they end up a little indistinct. Anneke's meant to be distinctly loving, but this is genuinely the first I've heard of it. Not sold on the execution.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #381 on: April 07, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »
Are you guys just hitting the "0" and "1" buttons randomly and posting whatever it becomes?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #382 on: April 07, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
That's what I do.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #383 on: April 07, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
Even Arjen himself has basically said he used too many vocalists on 01 and ended up coming up short with each of them individually. I do really enjoy 01, but it has nothing on the glory of THE or ItEC.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #384 on: April 08, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
The Human Equation is meh. Extremely overrated.