Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382337 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Ayreon Universe out now)
« Reply #2100 on: May 07, 2018, 10:11:53 AM »
As someone who isn't the biggest Ayreon fan ever, but has given quite a bit of their albums enough spins to properly judge: The Human Equation was the biggest grower of them all for sure. Could barely get through the first listen, but now I think almost all the tracks are at least good and some even great. I still have a hard time getting through Trauma though, that one could've used some major trimming
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2101 on: May 07, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
I'm a firm believer in not wasting time with music that doesn't click.  There's lots out there to enjoy, no need to force anything that isn't working.

:hifive:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2102 on: May 07, 2018, 02:02:40 PM »
... but if it doesn't click, no need to keep trying.  I'm a firm believer in not wasting time with music that doesn't click.  There's lots out there to enjoy, no need to force anything that isn't working.

True.

But if The Human Equation doesn't click all hope is lost anyway.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2103 on: May 08, 2018, 11:58:55 AM »
I'm a concept album junkie, and the story behind THE was unique enough for me (and my first Ayreon experience), so that's why it's #2 Album of All-Time for me.  So many nuances to it, it's a lot to digest.  I'd recommend giving it a couple more chances, but if it doesn't click, no need to keep trying.  I'm a firm believer in not wasting time with music that doesn't click.  There's lots out there to enjoy, no need to force anything that isn't working.

It really depends for me. Many albums have been a waste of time for me upon returning to them. But a lot of my favourites, which I can tirelessly listen to, took a good while to click. I think it is worth the investment, depending on the specifics of my initial feelings. If it is an album that I don't like that is just more of the same/generic material I am already familiar with (but weaker), then usually that album will never really click. But if it is an album I initially dislike due to a certain structure, sound, or other element, it can often grow on me. And this is even moreso with albums in a music type I have yet to really explore (it sometimes takes a while before a genre clicks, which makes sense as musical taste is mostly nurture). Other factors that impact my listening experiences are my mood/attention span at the time of listening, which can really influence that listening session.

As for Ayreon, the two albums that I initially wasn't overly fond of, THE and TTOE, ended up being my two favourites by quite a margin. Obviously there were always parts that I did love/like, but it took a while to sink those in as a whole and I thought THE was massively overrated when first hearing it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2104 on: May 09, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »
Seriously!?!?!  Fuck Europe.

Quote from: Arjen FB
The line-up for the Ayreon headline show on the Graspop festival is finally confirmed! I am happy to have the same instrumentalists as the Ayreon Universe shows. ‘Newcomers’ on vocals are Simone Simons and Mark Jansen of Epica, and Tom Englund of Evergrey. 'Returning' singers are Damian Wilson, Tommy Karevik, Mike Mills, Anneke van Giersbergen, Marcela Bovio, Irene Jansen, Robert Soeterboek, John Jaycee Cuijpers, Maggy Luyten and Lisette van den Berg. And... I am proud to announce a very special guest on vocals... Barry Hay of Golden Earring! And oh yeah, I heard that the tall hippie dude will play a few songs as well :-) Hope to see you there!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2105 on: May 09, 2018, 05:10:19 PM »
.....dammit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #2106 on: May 09, 2018, 05:10:42 PM »
"Web of Lies" live premiere?

Edit: Actually, it has been sung live already by Floor.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2107 on: May 09, 2018, 05:50:17 PM »
Wow,  I wonder if Graspop will show a live stream of Ayreon's set?  They should get a fair amount of stage time with all of these great singers involved in this set.  I wonder how the festival crowd will react to it?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2108 on: May 09, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »
Yeah man... considering Grasspop now.....

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2109 on: May 09, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
Yeah man... considering Grasspop now.....

Last minute update: Arjen decides to cancel their Graspop appearance due to it being on the same time he plans to be in the studio for a new album. Sons of Apollo to headline instead :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: May 11, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »
Listening to how "The Indian" dies in ItEC is one of the most gutting things I've ever heard in music.....and then the song goes into a rather cheerful instrumental.

Arjen, why do you do this to me ????

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2111 on: May 12, 2018, 02:23:09 AM »
That's a bit random, yeah.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2112 on: May 12, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »
Listening to how "The Indian" dies in ItEC is one of the most gutting things I've ever heard in music.....and then the song goes into a rather cheerful instrumental.

Arjen, why do you do this to me ????

It's her fault for being drawn to the sun...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2113 on: May 16, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
It is highly likely that I won't be able to attend Graspop due to pritoirities. But they better broadcast it with good sound!!! Tom, Barry, and Simone are absolutely awesome "newcomers"!

Also, Arjen recently said they wouldn't do different songs than on the Ayreon Universe from last year, because it is hard to get all the artists together and decently practice a new repetoire for just one show. Buuuut, I am going to bet that at the very least Barry will sing Sail Away To Avalon, because that was the original plan of Arjen for last years shows, but then he couldn't get Barry.

Wow,  I wonder if Graspop will show a live stream of Ayreon's set?  They should get a fair amount of stage time with all of these great singers involved in this set.  I wonder how the festival crowd will react to it?

Graspop does tend to broadcast a lot of full concerts, so I have some hope. And since cameras will definitely be there, I guess Arjen could always use it in the future for some sort of release.

Do keep in mind the sound is often.... not so good (of their broadcasts).

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2114 on: May 16, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
Picked up yesterday:

-The Final Experiment (Special Edition)
-Universal Migrator Parts I & II Special Edition
-The Human Equation
-0101010111110010010000000001111010111111110001+1

Fun haul!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2115 on: May 21, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
Alright..... The Human Equation clicked for me. F'n love it now!

Think I was still on an Electric Castle high and gave THE its first listen and I missed out on a lot. Once I learned the story, I loved everything that much more... and as a big fan of Shadow Gallery, it was surreal hearing new (new to me) Mike Baker vocals.... he killed it!  Love this album and am currently listening to it daily.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2116 on: May 21, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »
Alright..... The Human Equation clicked for me. F'n love it now!

Think I was still on an Electric Castle high and gave THE its first listen and I missed out on a lot. Once I learned the story, I loved everything that much more... and as a big fan of Shadow Gallery, it was surreal hearing new (new to me) Mike Baker vocals.... he killed it!  Love this album and am currently listening to it daily.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2117 on: May 23, 2018, 04:02:42 AM »
Finally watched the Ayreon Universe DVD and wow, what a show that was!!!!  :metal :metal :metal

Some random thoughts:

John Jaycee Cuijpers: after hearing the cd I thought he was good but he wasn’t a match to Russel Allen, but watching him perform while singing makes for a much better experience. But who has his initials as a middle name? That’s like Homer J. (Jay) Simpson.  :laugh:

Maggy Luyten: wow, just wow, what a bundle of energy (is that a real english expression?) and what a voice.

Damian Wilson with that he beard looks like Robbie Williams with longer hair. Great performance. Edit: Shit, typo, I meant Robin Williams, the actor.

Hansi Kürsch: in the backstage footage, he looks as un-metal as one can get. He looks more like a mellow primary school teacher than the singer of Germany’s leading power metal band.  :biggrin:

Jonas Renkse seems like a nice guy, his voice fits the songs he sang but he has a terrible stage presence.

What an epic Ending but why oh why did they play only the abridged version of Eye Of Ra?

Floor Jansen is taller than most oft he guys.

The background singers are excellent and more like three lead singers.

As I said before, great show, great performances from all involved, i wish I had been there.

Now go and do Theory Of Everything.  :metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:32:00 AM by Kwyjibo »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2118 on: May 23, 2018, 04:33:14 AM »
I think it's more like John "Jaycee" Cuypers, like a nickname.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2119 on: May 23, 2018, 04:45:13 AM »
Floor IS taller than most guys. You won't forget meeting her.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2120 on: May 23, 2018, 05:43:03 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that already in The Theater Equation, when Floor towered over JLB, who I always thought isn't that small either.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2121 on: May 23, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that already in The Theater Equation, when Floor towered over JLB, who I always thought isn't that small either.

That wasn't Floor... that was Irene.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2122 on: May 23, 2018, 06:33:00 AM »
Oh shit, you're right  :facepalm:

So obviously both Jansen sisters are very tall, so is Arjen himself, must the the climate in the Netherlands or something.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2123 on: May 23, 2018, 06:33:08 AM »
I still need finish watching this. Waiting for my 7.1 surround setup to be finished.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2124 on: May 23, 2018, 06:40:24 AM »

I always thought JLB is a pretty tall guy! But when I met him two years ago, he was actually shorter than me! I'm 180 cm, which I guess would be like 5"11.

I am the dude on the left:

any rock can be made to roll

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2125 on: May 23, 2018, 06:46:08 AM »

So obviously both Jansen sisters are very tall, so is Arjen himself, must the the climate in the Netherlands or something.

You may be on to something, because people in the Netherlands are some of the tallest on average. I've heard that what/how you eat is one of the big parts of determining your height (plus your genes obviously), so maybe that's it?  ???

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2126 on: May 23, 2018, 06:51:19 AM »

I always thought JLB is a pretty tall guy! But when I met him two years ago, he was actually shorter than me! I'm 180 cm, which I guess would be like 5"11.

I am the dude on the left:

Bonus points for the amazing shirts! :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2127 on: May 23, 2018, 07:06:27 AM »
Okay, apparently JLB isn't that tall, I'm 185 cm and I'm far from being the tallest guy around.

@ Fritzinger: cool pic, are you twins or just look alike?

You may be on to something, because people in the Netherlands are some of the tallest on average. I've heard that what/how you eat is one of the big parts of determining your height (plus your genes obviously), so maybe that's it?  ???

Or maybe there's something in the air? (insert bad weed joke here)  :biggrin:

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2128 on: May 23, 2018, 07:57:14 AM »

Jonas Renkse seems like a nice guy, his voice fits the songs he sang but he has a terrible stage presence.

He is usually like that. On the Katatonia shows, most of the times he is under low lights and some random headbanging here and there but no stage presence.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2129 on: May 23, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »

He is usually like that. On the Katatonia shows, most of the times he is under low lights and some random headbanging here and there but no stage presence.

He's practically... comatose.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2130 on: May 23, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »

I think his stage presence is perfect for a Katatonia show.  Maybe not Ayreon so much, but seeing that, I know it's the real him, so to speak, so I like it.  At a Katatonia show, their whole stage presence including his is just right, and the lighting is perfect as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2131 on: May 23, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »

I think his stage presence is perfect for a Katatonia show.  Maybe not Ayreon so much, but seeing that, I know it's the real him, so to speak, so I like it.  At a Katatonia show, their whole stage presence including his is just right, and the lighting is perfect as well.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2132 on: May 23, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »

Oh definitely. Katatonia usually puts on a great show and the band's stage presence fits the music and lightning.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2133 on: May 23, 2018, 10:49:56 AM »

I can be familiar with the reference and still choose to comment on the general conversation. :P

Also, I like his version of Comatose better than the album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: May 23, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »
I can be familiar with the reference and still choose to comment on the general conversation. :P

Just be cause you "can", doesn't mean you "should".   :lol