Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 376347 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1995 on: April 07, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »
This dvd is amazing. I really love it.

My only real complaint is that they did a very edited version of Eye of Ra which seemed sad, but with the gigantic setlist, I understand. Though I wouldn't mind having a song like Merlin's Will cut to allow for the full version. Ah well.

Also I thought it was so cool that Irene Jansen got to take the stage and introduce everyone during The Two Gates. She was insanely charming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1996 on: April 07, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
It is, like expected, awesome. Will probably post more detailed thoughts later.

This dvd is amazing. I really love it.

My only real complaint is that they did a very edited version of Eye of Ra which seemed sad, but with the gigantic setlist, I understand. Though I wouldn't mind having a song like Merlin's Will cut to allow for the full version. Ah well.

Also I thought it was so cool that Irene Jansen got to take the stage and introduce everyone during The Two Gates. She was insanely charming.

A lot of songs are cut shorter, and personally don't mind how it was handled here but get the complaints. Still a tad disappointed we will probably never get the Dawn of a Million Souls solo live, though, but I guess that one is really difficult to pull off.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1997 on: April 07, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »
I like this bluray a lot. Such great performances. The behind the scenes stuff is great too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

« Reply #1998 on: April 07, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
Was that Nick on the behind the scenes?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1999 on: April 07, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
Was that Nick on the behind the scenes?

Good catch! :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2000 on: April 07, 2018, 10:12:09 PM »
Speaking of Dawn of A Million Souls... despite how goo Cuijpers was, I just can't help but constantly wish Allen hadn't cancelled.  DoAMS was the first Ayreon song I ever heard (so it holds a special place for me), and Allen is one of my favorite - and one of the best - frontmen in the genre.  The Live On Earth version is pure gold, and I would've creamed my jeans for a BluRay version of him performing it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #2001 on: April 07, 2018, 10:14:10 PM »
Did something go down with Allen and Arjen? I feel like I heard a few things from Arjen that hinted at that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2002 on: April 08, 2018, 02:50:17 AM »
From what I understood, there's no beef between him and Arjen. Allen had already commited to touring with another band and then there was this terrible road accident where the bassplayer was killed.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2003 on: April 08, 2018, 02:54:44 AM »
Indeed, Russell was commited to do the show adn then bailed out for other commitments. Like in every situation in life, there are more reactions to the two extremes, like "It's totally cool bro" and "OMG I want to kill him", I don't think Arjen "hates" Russell but since he's estabilished enough to be able to do without him, well, he just will I guess, and work more with singers who will be more than able and willing to commit to him.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2004 on: April 08, 2018, 07:00:50 AM »
From what I understood, there's no beef between him and Arjen. Allen had already commited to touring with another band and then there was this terrible road accident where the bassplayer was killed.

Well, you have your order of events wrong. Allen committed to the Ayreon Universe and THEN committed to a tour with Adrenaline Mob that conflicted with those dates.

Speaking of Dawn of A Million Souls... despite how goo Cuijpers was, I just can't help but constantly wish Allen hadn't cancelled.  DoAMS was the first Ayreon song I ever heard (so it holds a special place for me), and Allen is one of my favorite - and one of the best - frontmen in the genre.  The Live On Earth version is pure gold, and I would've creamed my jeans for a BluRay version of him performing it.

Trust me, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Russell Allen. I wanted him to be there, but between Jaycee and Maggy... nothing was missing, they fucking nailed it.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2005 on: April 08, 2018, 09:13:51 AM »
Jayce really nailed that song.

I just love how epic the ending of Eye of Ra is.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2006 on: April 08, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
Arjen did say on FB he'll never work with him again after this.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2007 on: April 08, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »
Source?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2008 on: April 08, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
Source?

That came out before this happened.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: April 08, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
I do remember seeing something like that on FB, but I'm not going to search for the actual post.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2010 on: April 08, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
just look at the commentsection on the post where he announced the cancellation of Russel Allen

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2011 on: April 08, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »
just look at the commentsection on the post where he announced the cancellation of Russel Allen

Was that on his personal page? His artist page? Ayreon's page?

Not that I doubt you're right, but it would be almost impossible to find that now.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2012 on: April 08, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »
could be the Ayreon one, or his own profile. I can't be bothered to look it up again. Happy scrolling for those who want to ;)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2013 on: April 08, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »
I posted a quote of it several pages back. His conversation with a fan read something along the lines that we will not see Allen in any of his live projects. And yes, from what I recall, Allen cancelled the Ayreon show after commiting to it, and well into the production timeframe of Ayreon Universe.

That said, though the studio version is the best and one of my favourite songs of all time, and Allen is one of my favourite singers of all time, I think I sliiightly prefer the Universe performance over Live on Earth. Something I did not expect in a million years. I hope Jaycee gets a spot on a new Ayreon album.

Edit: I posted the quote near the top of page 52

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2014 on: April 08, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »
And for a timeframe reference the announcement was made in June, 2017 prior to the September, 2017 show that was announced November, 2016. And who knows how long before that Allen had actually committed. It's sad, but there is plenty of people out there who would jump at the chance to be a part of something like this, no reason for Arjen to reach out to Allen ever again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2015 on: April 08, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »
Sounds like a dick move by Allen, and something like that definitely gets out to other people in the industry, which could make some people not want to work with him. Why make an offer to work with him if he might bail on you months later after you've got all of your ducks in a row?  Like Nick said, I am sure Arjen has no problem getting people lined up to do events like this, so there should be no need to reach out again to a guy who dicked him over.

Online Adami

« Reply #2016 on: April 08, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »
Yea, as much as I love and will continue to love Allen, Arjen has such an insane group of reliable singers, that I don't see the need for him on any future Ayreon releases.

My only concern is Star One. I'd still love more from them, and it's hard to picture them without Allen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2017 on: April 08, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »
Yea, as much as I love and will continue to love Allen, Arjen has such an insane group of reliable singers, that I don't see the need for him on any future Ayreon releases.

My only concern is Star One. I'd still love more from them, and it's hard to picture them without Allen.

Ditto. With Ayreon no one bats an eye when things change, but with Star One it was established as *this* group of people to a certain extent. It would be weird to do another without Allen. Then again there is nothing to stop Arjen from just making his 10th project as something similar but with a slightly different lineup.

And to go into a little bit more about your "behind the scenes" question from earlier, I was interviews both prior to the Friday afternoon VIP show and after that show. Of those two interviews they cut it down to the most fanboy-esque moment of things, but I'm certainly not going to complain, an amazing trip immortalized forever!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2018 on: April 08, 2018, 11:18:15 PM »
I wonder though, even if he didn't cancel because the A Mob tour the accident might have prevented him either way. Then again, in that scenario the accident might not have happened so who knows.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

« Reply #2019 on: April 08, 2018, 11:28:53 PM »
I wonder though, even if he didn't cancel because the A Mob tour the accident might have prevented him either way. Then again, in that scenario the accident might not have happened so who knows.

I feel like cancelling due to making other plans and cancelling due to a deadly tour bus accident would have very different results as far as working with Arjen again goes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: April 08, 2018, 11:38:50 PM »

I feel like cancelling due to making other plans and cancelling due to a deadly tour bus accident would have very different results as far as working with Arjen again goes.

Cancelling late because of an accident would have been acceptable by anyone...
Cancelling late because you want to tour with your band is not.
He committed to being a part of the shows about 2 years ahead of time. Changing your mind a couple of months later could be accepted but a couple of months before the show when the full production has been planned for almost 2 years with you as an integral part...
If I was Arjen I would never involve Allen again. Russel should have planned his tour around the Ayreon Universe. He let around 100 people in the production team down and he let around 9000 in the audience down.... not cool

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2021 on: April 09, 2018, 03:13:32 AM »
Jay Van Feggelen wanted to quit as well. Arjen convinced him to stay on board though. I don't know if this close to production time. Haven't really grasped the behind the scenes footage.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2022 on: April 09, 2018, 04:48:14 AM »
Yeah I remember being pretty disappointed when Russel cancelled. I even thought about selling my ticket for the concert but then decided I'd be a fool to miss the opportunity to witness such a great concert.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2023 on: April 09, 2018, 06:38:21 AM »
Jay Van Feggelen wanted to quit as well. Arjen convinced him to stay on board though.

Yeah, big difference there is Jay seemed to not be able to handle the lyrics to the additional stuff he was supposed to sing. Not sure if he's struggling with some sort of dementia or what, but it seemed like he really couldn't remember what he was supposed to sing, so that's a whole different scenario.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #2024 on: April 10, 2018, 06:14:36 AM »
Source?
The Source .. ftfy

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2025 on: April 11, 2018, 07:34:11 AM »
In other Ayreon news, a rerelease of "Into The Electric Castle" is probably coming, as per two Dutch interviews with Arjen (Metalfan, Aardschock). He wants to do a 5.1 mix and a vinyl release (the latter part is a bit odd to mention like this, because there already is a vinyl version of the album, in which case a reprint would suffice). But in order to do so he'll need to find all original tapes, as per his own words.

Another interesting part about his recent Metalfan interview is that he wants his next project to be something else, as the Source was more "straightforward" metal and really typical Ayreon orientated. But he doesn't see himself doing a pop-orientated album like Steven Wilson or doing something extreme like death metal.

Interview (Dutch): https://www.metalfan.nl/interviews.php?id=1147

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2026 on: April 11, 2018, 08:05:48 AM »
He wants a break from the Ayreon world? call Anneke Van Giersbergen, do another Gentle Storm album (an acoustic and folk-ish record and a second heavier version) and make everybody happy. He gets to do something different from Ayreon and she gets to slown down a bit from Vuur before eventually doing the second album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: April 11, 2018, 08:27:53 AM »
He wants a break from the Ayreon world? call Anneke Van Giersbergen, do another Gentle Storm album (an acoustic and folk-ish record and a second heavier version) and make everybody happy. He gets to do something different from Ayreon and she gets to slown down a bit from Vuur before eventually doing the second album.

This would be soo awesome....!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2028 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »

Well, he doesn't exactly say that, but he wants to do something a bit more different musically. But it might very well be something non-Ayreon.

That wouldn't exactly be out of order given he always did a different project inbetween for most of the Ayreon studio releases. I would love to see him add another project to the list of Ambeon, Star One, Stream of Passion, Guilt Machine, Solo, and The Gentle Storm, though I wouldn't mind a new record of any of these either, especially The Gentle Storm.

That said, The Source was a massive succes for him so I wouldn't blame him if he decided to do another Ayreon first, now that it is more popular than ever.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2029 on: April 11, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
Electric Castle in 5.1?